• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Kelpie

Managing the temperature was tricky at first. I had to leave a gap in the lid to vent some of the heat. Once I got the temp to stabilize it held it nicely. There's just a drainage hole at the bottom that I have the wires for a hot plate burner going through. I'm going to drill some vent holes that I can plug/unplug as needed.

That's awesome to see some one doing Alton's ceramic smoker setup!

I know this isn't EXACTLY bbq, but it is smoking. Hope people don't mind me sharing.

I'm making some more homemade bacon, and this weekend is the time to cold smoke it. Thought I would share some pictures of the process.

This is the first day after I've covered it in the cure (sugar, and salt)

13822825673_d31a12a4cd_b.jpg

This is after 7 days of curing, washed off and then left in the fridge for 24 hours to form a pellicle.

13822823605_44cc7e1c39_b.jpg

Into my cold smoke set up.

13822832265_06d8b295ac_b.jpg

In about 6 hours I'll pull it out of the smoke, throw it in the freezer to harden up and then slice it.

Here's a picture showing how much moisture was in the bottom of the pan this morning.

13822861643_7eef918f25_b.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Just unwrapped my WSM for the first time since November and the smoker door warped itself so it doesn't sit flush to the barrel anymore. Not sure what to do. I know some people put double sided insulating foam to make it more airtight.

I'll try to bend it back first.

Or get an after market stainless steel door!!!

http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So I've been looking for a deal on a smoker for months now, finally found it last weekend. Got a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" for $50 on Craigslist. Was cleaning it up today (in good shape but the guy had it sitting in his garage for 7 years untouched, so cobwebs, etc. necessitated a full clean and re-cure) and turns out it's a C model. So this smoker is older than I am. No built in thermo, nice heavy ceramic coating, only a few chips and scuffs in the ceramic (one on the exterior lid, one on the water pan, a few very small ones on the lid where it meets the middle).

Doing up a butt to christen it in tomorrow. Can't wait.

Nice!!!! I never run across those kinds of deals.

Just unwrapped my WSM for the first time since November and the smoker door warped itself so it doesn't sit flush to the barrel anymore. Not sure what to do. I know some people put double sided insulating foam to make it more airtight.

Your options are in best to worst order: Try to bend it back, go after market or contact weber for a replacement. The 14" WSM door isn't flush, close to it, but not 100%. Seems that is with every one made. Not a big enough gap that it makes it a difference.

To Velinos, BBQ and cooking in general is about cooking to what you like. I would try the recipes for a starting point, but then divert to what you like. Competition food and backyard/real eating food are two different things most of the time. I have a friend who goes around the state competing. What he cooks for his family and what he cooks for judges can be quite different. For instance, at home he likes his ribs falling off the bone, while at a competition, that would be frowned upon. It is all about what you and who you are cooking for likes. Myron is from Georgia, they like that sweet stuff.

Kelpi, that flower pot contraption is awesome.

CrankyJay

Banned
Your options are in best to worst order: Try to bend it back, go after market or contact weber for a replacement. The 14" WSM door isn't flush, close to it, but not 100%. Seems that is with every one made. Not a big enough gap that it makes it a difference.

Not a fan of the steel door option?

andycapps

To Velinos, BBQ and cooking in general is about cooking to what you like. I would try the recipes for a starting point, but then divert to what you like. Competition food and backyard/real eating food are two different things most of the time. I have a friend who goes around the state competing. What he cooks for his family and what he cooks for judges can be quite different. For instance, at home he likes his ribs falling off the bone, while at a competition, that would be frowned upon. It is all about what you and who you are cooking for likes. Myron is from Georgia, they like that sweet stuff.

Not where I come from. I don't know anybody that would touch something that sweet. Usually vinegar or mustard based sauce.

If you call Weber and explain your issue they will send you a new door free of charge.

BUT, I would just buy the Cajun Bandit SS door, it is much nicer. I have one on my 22" WSM and would not go back to the old door if I had a choice.

CrankyJay

Banned
If you call Weber and explain your issue they will send you a new door free of charge.

BUT, I would just buy the Cajun Bandit SS door, it is much nicer. I have one on my 22" WSM and would not go back to the old door if I had a choice.

yeah, that's what i'm thinking...does it sit pretty flush on your WSM?

edit: then again, charging $16 for a $22 item is fucking robbery.

Gonna try to bend it first..

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/partstrouble.html

I got my smoke on this weekend and enjoyed a nice afternoon / evening on the deck.

Cooked up a "Naked Fatty" for a snack (Sage sausage covered in BBQ rub then smoked) . A Bone - In turkey Breast rubbed with Stubb's Chicken rub and also a rack of St. Louis Spares.

Prepared for smoking...

10256904_10203273730461015_5711875450424299371_n_zpsb7501a88.jpg

Ribs about 1 hr in...

10003363_10203274859609243_2289832986509302450_n_zpsc0ea3a13.jpg

Turkey Breast & Fatty done..

10259757_10203274860409263_367173338470431718_n_zps9c1516ef.jpg

Ribs after coming out of the foil and back on to finish up..

10154901_10203275655749146_6903750777239004655_n_zps796bc4ed.jpg

yeah, that's what i'm thinking...does it sit pretty flush on your WSM?

edit: then again, charging $16 for a $22 item is fucking robbery.

Gonna try to bend it first..

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/partstrouble.html

Yes it conforms much better to the door opening and hold heat better since it is thicker steel too.

Call Weber, they will send you a new door. If anything it is good to have a backup even if you go with the Cajun Bandit door.

(They only send the door, NOT the door handle assembly so be sure not to lose any parts when disassembling/ reassembling - FYI)

CrankyJay

Banned
Yes it conforms much better to the door opening and hold heat better since it is thicker steel too.

Call Weber, they will send you a new door. If anything it is good to have a backup even if you go with the Cajun Bandit door.

(They only send the door, NOT the door handle assembly so be sure not to lose any parts when disassembling/ reassembling - FYI)

Yeah, they mentioned that on their site.

I'm out of warranty on my WSM (model is from 2011) but I'll give it a try.

zam

So after seeing my tax return I decided to get myself a birthday present:

An 18.5" WSM! I'm amazed by how long this thing can keep a nice temp without restocking, I made some Simon & Garfunkel chicken on it and when the chicken was done I left the vents open, 12 hours later and it's still holding steady at 230F! It even had a hole on the center ring with a rubber grommet for thermometer probes, I didn't even now they had that, from what I read on forums most people drilled holes themselves and put their own grommets in, so I was happy that it was already done for me.

Smoked some butt and it turned out pretty good, took about 13 hours for a 2.2kg piece (4.85lbs). Was too busy pulling it and then eating it to remember to take pictures of the end product. I took it off when it was 195F and it was easy to pull, but was slightly dry. Might have something to do with it being frozen (thawed it before smoking it of course), but the meat was super cheap (like 1/3 the normal price for pork shoulder here in Sweden). Still, it got eaten really quickly.

Did some spare ribs (cut them as close to St Louis style as I could), following the recipe on amazingribs.com and they were also delicious. It's gonna be a good summer.

MRSA

Banned
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a second hand Weber kettle as I want some versatile (grill/smoker). Anybody have any experience with a smokenator? They seem perfect for guys like me who really only want to lift a 6 pack of beer.

Awesome on the WSM!, and a damn nice looking pork butt!

God damn MarleyManiac those ribs and turkey breast look insanely good. I want to go to there.

MRSA I believe earlier in the thread some folk mention using a smokenator. I've heard plenty of good things about them though. I haven't used one myself but I did just pick up a used one with hovergrill for 40 bucks this past weekend, but I don't plan on using it till I attempt brisket in a month or so.

Don't know if you guys are interested but thought I would share the finished pics of the bacon I made since I finally sliced it last night.

This is after it's 6 hour cold smoke.

13891837294_4119d74483_b.jpg

and then this is some of it after we sliced it last night.

13891499473_07851f7cdf_b.jpg

I made some bacon this week too, smoked with Cherrywood. Great stuff.

I'm BBQing 3 briskets and 3 Female Pork Necks for a friends BBQ on the weekend. Might do a big load of Chicken Wings too just for fun. Taking my Offset over there Thursday night to get started at 5am to finish at 5pm hopefully. Should be fun!

God damn MarleyManiac those ribs and turkey breast look insanely good. I want to go to there.

Don't know if you guys are interested but thought I would share the finished pics of the bacon I made since I finally sliced it last night.

Thanks man, they were tasty!

That bacon looks phenomenal!! Nice job...for some reason I am craving a BLT now

dskillzhtown

So after seeing my tax return I decided to get myself a birthday present:

An 18.5" WSM! I'm amazed by how long this thing can keep a nice temp without restocking, QUOTE]

Cool. Welcome to the family! I love my WSM. So much that I have a 18.5 and a 14".

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a second hand Weber kettle as I want some versatile (grill/smoker). Anybody have any experience with a smokenator? They seem perfect for guys like me who really only want to lift a 6 pack of beer.

Never used one myself, I have seen some YouTube channels that use it with good results.

Chris R

Has anyone had any success with a smoke box for a regular Weber grill? I tried smoking last year and didn't have much luck with tin foil and chips. At only $7 it isn't a big spend but I'd like to grab something that has been recommended. Same goes for chunks of wood.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Has anyone had any success with a smoke box for a regular Weber grill? I tried smoking last year and didn't have much luck with tin foil and chips. At only $7 it isn't a big spend but I'd like to grab something that has been recommended. Same goes for chunks of wood.

For a propane grill? Small cake pans (the cheap disposable kind) will work. That's what I used, with wood chips. Also used small metal bread pans a few times.

Derwind

This summer im planning a big BBQ with some friends. This will be a first for me. I dont have my own grill and was planning on using one of those outdoor grills you find in parks.

Advice?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
This summer im planning a big BBQ with some friends. This will be a first for me. I dont have my own grill and was planning on using one of those outdoor grills you find in parks.

Advice?

those arent BBQs but you can still use good charcoal on them to grill steaks, burgers and chicken.

Awesome on the WSM!, and a damn nice looking pork butt!

MRSA I believe earlier in the thread some folk mention using a smokenator. I've heard plenty of good things about them though. I haven't used one myself but I did just pick up a used one with hovergrill for 40 bucks this past weekend, but I don't plan on using it till I attempt brisket in a month or so.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5099/13891837294_4119d74483_b.jpg[IMG]

and then this is some of it after we sliced it last night.

[IMG]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3695/13891499473_07851f7cdf_b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Have you ever posted details of your cold smoke setup? I'm insanely curious since it looks like you're doing it on a kettle and I've always just assumed I wasn't nearly equipped for something like this. Looks delicious and I've always wanted to try it.

Chris R

For a propane grill? Small cake pans (the cheap disposable kind) will work. That's what I used, with wood chips. Also used small metal bread pans a few times.

No, charcoal. I used offset heat to go low and slow, but the smoke production just wasn't there. Kinda high maintenance since I had to keep watch over the coals to keep the temps where they needed to be.

I just want something that will hold my chips/chunks without disintegrating. I guess I could also just get bigger chunks of wood and go directly onto the coals :|

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
No, charcoal. I used offset heat to go low and slow, but the smoke production just wasn't there. Kinda high maintenance since I had to keep watch over the coals to keep the temps where they needed to be.

I just want something that will hold my chips/chunks without disintegrating. I guess I could also just get bigger chunks of wood and go directly onto the coals :|

Oh, well in that case chunks would be ideal, since they can go right on the coals.

Thanks man, they were tasty!

That bacon looks phenomenal!! Nice job...for some reason I am craving a BLT now

Most welcome, and thank you! I've been trying with each batch to perfect the recipe, slowly getting there.

Have you ever posted details of your cold smoke setup? I'm insanely curious since it looks like you're doing it on a kettle and I've always just assumed I wasn't nearly equipped for something like this. Looks delicious and I've always wanted to try it.

I use an Amaze-n-smoker. It's this little maze like thing that you put sawdust in. The saw dust burns, but no wheres near hot enough to heat up the inside of the smoker/grill. I put the maze on the charcoal grate on the opposite end of the bacon. It's great for smoking stuff like cheese and salt.

Here's an image I found online and a link to their site.

the_a-maze-n-smoker_review_0.jpg

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Default.asp

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
E12vJWJl.jpg

Just basted with apple juice, 9lb pork butt, working on my dads pit for the first time.

otapnam

Im planning to smoke a brisket on sunday for easter. Ill be using my smokenator and a diy second tier rack on my performer. (18.5 in grate raised using bolts n washers) ill try to get photos this time

CrankyJay

Banned
Update. Was able to bend the door back to shape on my WSM. I guess it's to be notes it's not supposed to be an airtight smoker but it's way better than it was.

I guess this years first smoke will be 2 racks of loin back ribs and some smoked BBQ baked beans with bacon.

Edit: I usually smoke my ribs at 275 (3 unfoiled, 1 foiled) but I'm thinking of trying 225 tomorrow to see if it produces a more moist rib.

I'm also tempted to do one rack with just liberal salt and pepper while doing my usual rub on the other.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just put a chicken on. I always start my smoking season with a simple whole chicken. It feels so good to fire up the smoker again.

Think I finally get the guts to go for a brisket this year. I've always been too shy to do one because it's such an expensive and finicky meat.

So did my first smoke this weekend, made pork ribs and a 5lb pork butt in my 14.5" WSM.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I also forgot to take before pics. The pork ribs were a little dry, but the pulled pork was amazing! Also made some cole slaw on the side and wrapped the pork butts in tortilla's along with some pico. Can't wait to try out brisket next.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just put a chicken on. I always start my smoking season with a simple whole chicken. It feels so good to fire up the smoker again.

Think I finally get the guts to go for a brisket this year. I've always been too shy to do one because it's such an expensive and finicky meat.

Yeah. Next time I get a brisket I'm just leaving the fat on so it bastes the fuck out of itself.

CrankyJay

Banned
Didn't have any apple juice to spritz with so I used orange pineapple juice. Haha. Beans and bacon just went on the smoker.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
My chicken is done 3.5 hours at 250. It's resting a bit now but I snuck a little. Man I missed this buttery soft smoked chicken. mmm..

dskillzhtown

So did my first smoke this weekend, made pork ribs and a 5lb pork butt in my 14.5" WSM.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I also forgot to take before pics. The pork ribs were a little dry, but the pulled pork was amazing! Also made some cole slaw on the side and wrapped the pork butts in tortilla's along with some pico. Can't wait to try out brisket next.

Looks good!

-PXG-

Fuck every single person in this thread. I have to either go home or go to Pennsauken to get good BBQ. Goddamnit

dskillzhtown

This is a small brisket I did last week, it was labeled "center cut" but looked like mostly a flat. Turned out very well. I actually had a flat on the lower level of the smoker as well, but not in the pictures. The steps I used are below the pictures.

Meat on the smoker
14017428952_0fb8d581d2_c.jpg

Smoking away early on
14020631455_3d57294003_c.jpg

Chopped and Sliced
14017429132_2143b261ff_c.jpg

I got the flats out of the package, washed them off and applied a bit of olive oil to the entire meat. I then applied some store-bought rub. I used Saltgrass Steak Rub with a little bit of my own Cayenne pepper. Let it sit out in my kitchen while I got the WSM ready. I used the last of my Stubb's and some Mesquite wood chunks. Once the WSM got up to temp (about 240) I placed the flats, one on the bottom level, one on the top. I basically left it alone outside of adjusting vents, and spraying with some apple juice every 2 hours. The total duration ended up being about 4.5 hours. The WSM temp got up to about 280 at times. The internal temp was 199, it actually stalled there for about 40 minutes, I used the probe toothpick test to determine tenderness. I planned on cooking until possibly 205, but it was tender enough at 199. I didn't foil the meat until I pulled it off the WSM, I let it rest for about 35 minutes before slicing/chopping. During the cook there was another stall at 140.

It was an easy cook, turned out really good. Of course those magical stalls are frustrating, but part of the process.

AVclub

I was gifted an old beatup smoker on Friday. Saturday I scrubbed the crap all off of it and put a brisket in the fridge covered in a dry rub. Sunday I smoked it. Came out pretty awesome and the family loved it. As a bonus, also made Italian sausage for lunch. It rocked!

Hanzou

This is a small brisket I did last week, it was labeled "center cut" but looked like mostly a flat. Turned out very well. I actually had a flat on the lower level of the smoker as well, but not in the pictures. The steps I used are below the pictures.

Meat on the smoker
14017428952_0fb8d581d2_c.jpg

Smoking away early on
14020631455_3d57294003_c.jpg

Chopped and Sliced
14017429132_2143b261ff_c.jpg

I got the flats out of the package, washed them off and applied a bit of olive oil to the entire meat. I then applied some store-bought rub. I used Saltgrass Steak Rub with a little bit of my own Cayenne pepper. Let it sit out in my kitchen while I got the WSM ready. I used the last of my Stubb's and some Mesquite wood chunks. Once the WSM got up to temp (about 240) I placed the flats, one on the bottom level, one on the top. I basically left it alone outside of adjusting vents, and spraying with some apple juice every 2 hours. The total duration ended up being about 4.5 hours. The WSM temp got up to about 280 at times. The internal temp was 199, it actually stalled there for about 40 minutes, I used the probe toothpick test to determine tenderness. I planned on cooking until possibly 205, but it was tender enough at 199. I didn't foil the meat until I pulled it off the WSM, I let it rest for about 35 minutes before slicing/chopping. During the cook there was another stall at 140.

It was an easy cook, turned out really good. Of course those magical stalls are frustrating, but part of the process.
Was just curious why you are running the thermo under the lid instead of the grommets holes on the side?

Top Bottom