• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I already have a weber gas grill, I would literally smoke small meats. My gf is a leaf eater so a whole brisket is futile. I know that burgers, steaks etc taste better on a charcoal grill, but can't stand to wait the 15-20 min to get the coals going.

In that case, go with a kettle. You can get a One Touch for 99 bucks. You can grill and smoke with it. Waiting 15 mins isn't really that long. Don't you have to wait for your gas grates to get up to temperature as well?

In that case, go with a kettle. You can get a One Touch for 99 bucks. You can grill and smoke with it. Waiting 15 mins isn't really that long. Don't you have to wait for your gas grates to get up to temperature as well?

5 min to get hot enough. maybe a kettle would be better. how are they smoking wise? i assumed you needed a smoker to smoke meats. if i could do the same on a kettle i would just get that. thanks for the suggestion!

Well, you can get the 14" WSM for $199 but that probably won't fit a whole packer...hell, I'm not even sure if the 18.5" does... $299.

I can see that seeming like a large amount but for the amount of times you use it it really makes it worth it and pays for itself quickly.

It is quite the investment. I have a 18.5" WSM and a whole packer barely fits in there. The only reason I got mine is because it was on clearance. I could never justify the expense of the 22". I just don't cook big meals enough. I recently got a 14" and it is much more practical for small smokes.

I REALLY want a 22" WSM, and you guys are totally right that the WSM is worth the investment and all that. Plus I would like to od more bigger cooks for lots of people and such, and a WSM just makes so much sense. It's more about convincing the GF and finding space for it. Living in an apartment makes things harder.

It's definitely worth it, and the long term plan, just need to get some shit to fall into place to make it happen. For now I'm going to pick up a used smokenator, with hovergrill and all its stuff from CL on Saturday.

We just had a Weis Market open up right down the road from us and they actually had whole packers. I also have a couple butcher shops close to me that I think would be able to get them.

5 min to get hot enough. maybe a kettle would be better. how are they smoking wise? i assumed you needed a smoker to smoke meats. if i could do the same on a kettle i would just get that. thanks for the suggestion!

Kettles are great for smoking, they're just not as set it and forget it as some of the dedicated smokers out there. Right now I have a 22.5" one touch gold. I typically set up a snake in it (banking rows of briquettes along the wall of the kettle) and depending on weather it'll last like 6 - 10 hours. It definitely doesn't offer the room of a WSM though, or the ease of set up.

How well does the kettle hold temps?

Going to try smoking for the first time next weekend. Going to go get me a pork butt and make some pulled pork. Picked up charcoal, oak chunks and seasoning for rub already. Going to get the butt the day before I smoke it. Pretty excited about this!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
This is how I roll :

OGcmVYn.jpg

This was a gift, one of the perks of running a pipe yard. Been using a mix of hickory and oak for the past 7 years in it. Just open it up and you get a whiff of heaven. Currently I'm unable to use it since I'm in an apartment, but I'll be buying a home later in the year.

BUT, that doesn't mean I can't smoke some meat on my balcony. I do ribs and the occasional pork butt on a $40 Old Smokey. These spent 2 hours on the Smokey and another 2 wrapped in the oven @ 250.

I am going to ditch the Smokey though. It doesn't get very good air flow with the lid on and loses heat too fast. I definitely need a Kettle. Bring it on, Summertime.

CrankyJay

Banned
Living in an apartment makes things harder.

Yeah, that actually changes the dynamics quite a bit.

I have an 18.5" and it's perfect for my needs, and it can fit a decent amount on there. I can get 4 8lb shoulders on their to feed a lot of people, but I usually do 2 on the top rack, then later on put a tray of beans covered with bacon to collect the drippings form the butts. That gets huge compliments.

How well does the kettle hold temps?

For me, it depends on the weather. I suppose more specifically how windy it is. If it's not too windy out, with a good snake set up, I cna hold 225 - 230 for 6 hours fairly easily. If it's windy out, forget it, I'm changing the vents the whole cook.

The briquettes seem to make a difference too, Stubbs seems to be much better at burning consistently than say the Royal Oak briquettes.

Yeah, that actually changes the dynamics quite a bit.

I have an 18.5" and it's perfect for my needs, and it can fit a decent amount on there. I can get 4 8lb shoulders on their to feed a lot of people, but I usually do 2 on the top rack, then later on put a tray of beans covered with bacon to collect the drippings form the butts. That gets huge compliments.

If we were in a house, I'd probably have 5 kettles and 2 WSM at this point. When you do the tray of beans under the shoulders, are you doing the shoulders fat cap up or down?

I have to try that one of these days, I've heard nothing but good things.

CrankyJay

Banned
For me, it depends on the weather. I suppose more specifically how windy it is. If it's not too windy out, with a good snake set up, I cna hold 225 - 230 for 6 hours fairly easily. If it's windy out, forget it, I'm changing the vents the whole cook.

The briquettes seem to make a difference too, Stubbs seems to be much better at burning consistently than say the Royal Oak briquettes.

If we were in a house, I'd probably have 5 kettles and 2 WSM at this point. When you do the tray of beans under the shoulders, are you doing the shoulders fat cap up or down?

I have to try that one of these days, I've heard nothing but good things.

I cut my fat caps off. The shoulder is fatty enough and it gives more surface area for bark. I've done it both ways and I prefer no cap.

ShinAmano

In two weeks I am going to toss 4 8lb Boston butts on the egg for the first bbq of the season.

I like this idea.

I cut my fat caps off. The shoulder is fatty enough and it gives more surface area for bark. I've done it both ways and I prefer no cap.

I go the super unhealthy route and leave my fat caps on, and when I'm pulling the pork I work all the fat back in there, it's like liquidy meat butter. I can see where folks wouldn't like that though.

Ridli

That settles it. All this butt talk means I know what I'm making this weekend. Can't wait to go through those pulled pork sandwiches and smoked pork fried rice leftovers.

dskillzhtown

If anyone here is just starting out, I would recommend getting a Weber Kettle. It is a great way to learn some basics. Just getting comfortable working with fire is a lesson you need to learn. Then learning about air vents, and such. Also, you might find out that BBQ-ing isn't for you. Finding that out with a $99 kettle is much easier on than something 300 or 500 bucks.

I remember learning the basics of smoking on the kettle, so when I did move up to the WSM, it was an easy transition. I still had the kettle if I wanted to grill something. I have 2 WSMs and 2 kettles. They all come in handy for different size cooks. I need to clean them all up and take a "family photo".

If anyone here is just starting out, I would recommend getting a Weber Kettle. It is a great way to learn some basics. Just getting comfortable working with fire is a lesson you need to learn. Then learning about air vents, and such. Also, you might find out that BBQ-ing isn't for you. Finding that out with a $99 kettle is much easier on than something 300 or 500 bucks.

I remember learning the basics of smoking on the kettle, so when I did move up to the WSM, it was an easy transition. I still had the kettle if I wanted to grill something. I have 2 WSMs and 2 kettles. They all come in handy for different size cooks. I need to clean them all up and take a "family photo".

yup! ordered a weber kettle. baby steps for me. can't wait to smoke something. thinking ribs for a trial run.. maybe throw some chiken on there as well.

TheBear

I don't know much about these BBQ's to be honest. Are they lit with gas or do you light the coals with fuel?

dskillzhtown

I don't know much about these BBQ's to be honest. Are they lit with gas or do you light the coals with fuel?

For the most part we are all talking about units that use charcoal, lump coal or wood as fuel. But you can get a gas model as well. If you look at the first few posts in this thread, you get a good idea of the different types of units out there. I prefer charcoal to gas, just a personal preference. I really enjoy the challenge of getting the temps just right in a variety of weather conditions. Nothing like trying to get a brisket done with weather in the 20s, the wind blowing and a light rain. Also, I love the smoky taste that you don't get with gas grills.

I think it is a great hobby with a tasty outcome after you are done. But it is time consuming and early on you WILL destroy some perfectly good meat. But that is how you learn. I look back at my early mistakes and just laugh. Also, nowadays you have resources all over the net and YouTube to get some pointers.

TheBear

For the most part we are all talking about units that use charcoal, lump coal or wood as fuel. But you can get a gas model as well. If you look at the first few posts in this thread, you get a good idea of the different types of units out there. I prefer charcoal to gas, just a personal preference. I really enjoy the challenge of getting the temps just right in a variety of weather conditions. Nothing like trying to get a brisket done with weather in the 20s, the wind blowing and a light rain. Also, I love the smoky taste that you don't get with gas grills.

Well it seems pointless to do it with gas if it's all about taste.
The problem is I literally have no idea where to start. I want to do stuff brisket, pulled pork etc so can a normal weber do that or is there other gear I need? How do i light the charcoal, or should i start with something else?
Sorry if I am asking very basic questions, it's just that in australia this is not very common so i don't know where else to start. But thanks for your help so far :)

dskillzhtown

The problem is I literally have no idea where to start. I want to do stuff brisket, pulled pork etc so can a normal weber do that or is there other gear I need? How do i light the charcoal, or should i start with something else?
Sorry if I am asking very basic questions, it's just that in australia this is not very common so i don't know where else to start. But thanks for your help so far :)

Check out this YouTube Playlist and other videos from this guy as a start. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzBLSHFaUJ4uguTjsYMMcbA_JTFOgMsA1

Should give you an idea of how to get started and everything that is involved with a Weber Kettle.

To add to the recommended learning tools check out this book.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WOPHN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

While I don't fully agree with his set up for low and slow cooking on the kettle, its a great learning tool. Personally for me I find using the snake method (one of the videos linked above explains it) to work best for low and slow cooking on the kettle. Plus you won't have to be adding charcoal or opening it up every 30 - 40 minutes.

As far as lighting the charcoal goes, regardless of if your using briquettes or lump charcoal having a Weber chimney starter is a must. It just makes things so much easier.

Here's a link for you http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEOQV8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You then can ball up some newspaper, or they make little parafin wax cubes, and put them underneath the chimney starter and just wait 15 minutes.

Hope that helps.

ShinAmano

I use a butane torch. :)

CrankyJay

Banned
I go the super unhealthy route and leave my fat caps on, and when I'm pulling the pork I work all the fat back in there, it's like liquidy meat butter. I can see where folks wouldn't like that though.

To each his own. I just like the extra surface area for bark.

Speaking of fat, I really want to smoke a pork belly.

andycapps

If you just want to go nuts with reading, go to http://www.amazingribs.com and start learning.

For coals, you get a coal chimney. Basically a round cylinder that you put the coals in the top 3/4 of it on top of a metal grate inside the chimney. Then you stuff some paper or newspaper in the bottom of the chimney and use a lighter to light it. The paper will light the coals and in about 20 minutes all of them will be lit easily and free of any lighter fluid taste.

I second the recommendation for getting a Weber kettle. It's a pretty low investment way to get your feet wet and see if you enjoy it. Here's a good setup/walkthrough on the site I mentioned before.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
To get this ball rolling I need to buy a BBQ. Is the Kamado a good place to start?
Kamado, Egg and the knockoffs are good.
I personally have an Egg and I have to say, its pretty amazing. One load of lump has lasted me over 18 hours. The efficiency isnt something to scoff at. It holds temps extremely well, I can peg it at a temp and just leave it there, even when it was 40 degrees and windy and rainy out.

I recently bought a rack system for my egg, I can do one, two or three level of racks. For my brithday I did a brisket on the top rack and italian sausage on the second rack. Really adds a ton of cook area for the egg.

Ceramic smokers are more expensive but after using mine and watching my brother use his traditional side firebox smoker with teh big barrel type of smoker where he is pretty consistently adding more wood, I would rather have the egg. Also significantly less parts to rust on the whole setup vs other smokers.

fat caps on, let that juicy goodness melt into the meat.

Darksol

From the book Smoke and Spice:

Wild Willy's Wonderful Rub

3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons cayenne

Oh sweet baby Jesus, I just made this and it is DELICIOUS. Can't wait to put it to good use!

CrankyJay

Banned
To make bacon or just to cook it? I have a 3.5 lb pork belly curing in my fridge right now that's going to get cold smoked tomorrow or sunday.

Well I definitely want to try my hand at making my own bacon, but for this time I meant just smoking it and eating it fat and all like a glutton.

Velinos

I am in need of a new pork shoulder recipe. I have a smokey joe silver that I converted into a poor man's 14" WSM. I have used Myron Mixon's recipe in his book several times on 6-8 lb bone-in pork shoulders, but I am not too thrilled with the glaze from the recipe. It always comes out like jelly (it is half apricot jelly btw) and just falls off the meat right after I put it on. Maybe I am just doing it wrong, but I am curious if people here can recommend a good pork shoulder recipe or book that has said recipe. Any suggestions?

Ridli

I don't think I've ever glazed a shoulder. My goal for boston butt is to create a nice flavorful bark so when it's pulled apart you have these crunchy spicy little bits distributed throughout. Sauce can be applied after as a condiment.

Is glazing shoulders a thing I'm unaware of?

CrankyJay

Banned
I don't think I've ever glazed a shoulder. My goal for boston butt is to create a nice flavorful bark so when it's pulled apart you have these crunchy spicy little bits distributed throughout. Sauce can be applied after as a condiment.

Is glazing shoulders a thing I'm unaware of?

On the flip side, I like to foil wrap my butts after they are done and let them rest for 30-60 minutes so the steam/heat from the shoulder softens that bark a little bit.

So many choices!

I am in need of a new pork shoulder recipe. I have a smokey joe silver that I converted into a poor man's 14" WSM. I have used Myron Mixon's recipe in his book several times on 6-8 lb bone-in pork shoulders, but I am not too thrilled with the glaze from the recipe. It always comes out like jelly (it is half apricot jelly btw) and just falls off the meat right after I put it on. Maybe I am just doing it wrong, but I am curious if people here can recommend a good pork shoulder recipe or book that has said recipe. Any suggestions?
Glazing is a bit weird. I usually just put a mixture of apple juice and spiced run in a spray bottle and give the butt a spray every so often. The bark comes out amazing.

Velinos

The recipe in the book is somewhat complex. Start with an injection overnight. Add a rub. Smoke uncovered for 3 hours with periodic spritzes of apple juice and butter. Add apple juice to the pan and cover for 2 hours. Uncover, glaze, and close air vents letting the shoulder rest in the smoker for another hour as it slowly cools.

Darksol

My neighbours must hate me. Glorious noms have been smoking for the past two and a half hours. Almost ready to foil up my ribs for a couple of hours before finally returning it to the BBQ naked and then slathering it in sauce.

ShinAmano

Kamado, Egg and the knockoffs are good.
I personally have an Egg and I have to say, its pretty amazing. One load of lump has lasted me over 18 hours. The efficiency isnt something to scoff at. It holds temps extremely well, I can peg it at a temp and just leave it there, even when it was 40 degrees and windy and rainy out.

I recently bought a rack system for my egg, I can do one, two or three level of racks. For my brithday I did a brisket on the top rack and italian sausage on the second rack. Really adds a ton of cook area for the egg.

Ceramic smokers are more expensive but after using mine and watching my brother use his traditional side firebox smoker with teh big barrel type of smoker where he is pretty consistently adding more wood, I would rather have the egg. Also significantly less parts to rust on the whole setup vs other smokers.
2nd...the egg is incredible.

andycapps

Sounds too sweet for me. I don't mess around with glazes for pork butts. I just do some oil on the outside and then apply a rub.

Velinos

Sounds too sweet for me. I don't mess around with glazes for pork butts. I just do some oil on the outside and then apply a rub.

The author BBQs competitively and I have heard the some judges demand their BBQ to be candy sweet. Maybe I'll pick up the Smoke and Spice book that I have seen referenced in this thread and try what that book suggests.

CrankyJay

Banned
The author BBQs competitively and I have heard the some judges demand their BBQ to be candy sweet. Maybe I'll pick up the Smoke and Spice book that I have seen referenced in this thread and try what that book suggests.

You can get candy sweet by mixing in brown sugar or turbanado sugar(raw sugar) into your spice mixes.

Besides, KC BBQ judges tastes are completely different than what you would serve people at home. Seriously, your only guideline should be what tastes good to you and your friends unless you plan on competing.

Competition BBQ != best tasting BBQ ever

P.s. I own Smoke and Spice. Get it if you want, but you can find a multitude of good spice rub and pork shoulder recipes online at BBQ sites for free.

My recommendation is to find an all purpose spice rub recipe you like and then make it your own adding or subtracting various elements.

Drek

So I've been looking for a deal on a smoker for months now, finally found it last weekend. Got a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" for $50 on Craigslist. Was cleaning it up today (in good shape but the guy had it sitting in his garage for 7 years untouched, so cobwebs, etc. necessitated a full clean and re-cure) and turns out it's a C model. So this smoker is older than I am. No built in thermo, nice heavy ceramic coating, only a few chips and scuffs in the ceramic (one on the exterior lid, one on the water pan, a few very small ones on the lid where it meets the middle).

Doing up a butt to christen it in tomorrow. Can't wait.

CrankyJay

Banned
So I've been looking for a deal on a smoker for months now, finally found it last weekend. Got a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" for $50 on Craigslist. Was cleaning it up today (in good shape but the guy had it sitting in his garage for 7 years untouched, so cobwebs, etc. necessitated a full clean and re-cure) and turns out it's a C model. So this smoker is older than I am. No built in thermo, nice heavy ceramic coating, only a few chips and scuffs in the ceramic (one on the exterior lid, one on the water pan, a few very small ones on the lid where it meets the middle).

Doing up a butt to christen it in tomorrow. Can't wait.

You don't really need the lid thermo, I find they're pretty inaccurate and get worse as it gets dirtier. But there are instructions for drilling your own hole and adding one if you really want

Congrats!

Kelpie

I've been following this thread for a while and now I can finally share. It was a beautiful day so I decided to test the smoker that I assembled over the winter. It's based on the flower pot smoker Alton Brown used on an episode of Good Eats. I probably would have been better off buying a WSM but I like tinkering. The plan is to use this to see if I can get into the habit of smoking meats before I invest in something more expensive. It's still a work in progress but I'm pleased with the results I got.

I couldn't find a shallow pot that was the same diameter as the main pot so I had to use a saucer as the lid. This will limit some of the cuts I'll be able to smoke. Two of the bottom pots would have worked but it would have been really heavy.

I'll insulate the wires and install the temperature control knob in a hobby box.

This project also let me I clean out my freezer. :)

I was lazy and used a store bought rub that was a little salty. Next time I'll mix my own rub.

Drek

You don't really need the lid thermo, I find they're pretty inaccurate and get worse as it gets dirtier. But there are instructions for drilling your own hole and adding one if you really want

Congrats!

I actually see the lack of a lid thermo as a plus. They all suck and it's more perfs in the casing to have a problem come up with. Already set up a Maverick 732 on it.

I'm super excited for the but I'm going to do tomorrow.

Top Bottom