• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

In Australia, bbq is a hotplate with gas burners outside with some cheap sausages. Proper bbq is slowly catching on though as American food has blown up recently but a lot of people still fake it with digital smokers abd the like.

andycapps

In Australia, bbq is a hotplate with gas burners outside with some cheap sausages. Proper bbq is slowly catching on though as American food has blown up recently but a lot of people still fake it with digital smokers abd the like.

Probably a great opportunity for people in Australia to open proper BBQ restaurants. It's the sort of thing that if you haven't had it before, the first time is really eye opening. I don't think I've ever really heard of anyone not liking BBQ if they've had it.

Hanzou

So I finally upgraded to a weber smokey mountain. Anyone have any tips or secrets to make it perform at its best?

Probably a great opportunity for people in Australia to open proper BBQ restaurants. It's the sort of thing that if you haven't had it before, the first time is really eye opening. I don't think I've ever really heard of anyone not liking BBQ if they've had it.

Yeah, i've been looking into it for a while, there's a few portable trailer pits, but not a good bbq house. I'd love to open up a little smokehouse / bar.

TheBear

Can any recommend a good book for a beginner?
I got one for Christmas which had some good recipes but wasn't very helpful with the art of barbecuing itself

zam

I've had a Weber grill for a while now, and I've finally decided to make the plunge and do something other than just burgers, dogs, and the occasional steak on it. My summer project will be to start making some awesome (or at least passable) ribs and pulled pork. Been reading amazingribs.com a lot, but I have a couple questions. What are good types of wood for pork and for chicken?

Also with the setup pictured here:
weber_setup.jpg
If there isn't any room for the water pan on top, I assume having one below will suffice?

Should I just put the wood chunks/chips on top of the coals, because the guy on amazing ribs says in one article to put the in a bag of aluminum foil with holes, yet in that picture the wood is naked on top of the coals.

One small Issue that I have with my Weber kettle is that the lid doesn't seem to be forming a complete seal, as I often see smoke escaping from under the lid (and not through the exhaust only like it should be). When I push down on the lid the smoke stops escaping. Any good tips for sealing a Weber better? I should mention there is quite a buildup of soot underneath the lid, so that might be causing it, what are some good ways to clean out the insides?

Now I just need to buy myself a good leave-in thermometer (been eyeing the Maverick, either the 732 or 733), and to find a nearby butcher since the grocery stores in Sweden don't sell cuts of meat bigger than 0.5-1kg.

Can any recommend a good book for a beginner?
I got one for Christmas which had some good recipes but wasn't very helpful with the art of barbecuing itself

I don't know of any books per say, but there are a ton of them out there. What I found was the most helpful for learning was websites and youtube. Amazingribs.com is a really good resource, though personally I don't agree with everything he says, there's still alot to learn from there.

I've had a Weber grill for a while now, and I've finally decided to make the plunge and do something other than just burgers, dogs, and the occasional steak on it. My summer project will be to start making some awesome (or at least passable) ribs and pulled pork. Been reading amazingribs.com a lot, but I have a couple questions. What are good types of wood for pork and for chicken?

For me, I really like Apple, Hickory, and Maple for Pork, and Apple, Maple, and other fruit woods for chicken.

Also with the setup pictured here:
If there isn't any room for the water pan on top, I assume having one below will suffice?

Personally I think that image leaves a lot of info out. If you're going to smoke on a Weber grill I personally recommend the snake method. I find it's a lot easier to maintain a temp and control your burn speed than the minion method, with just banking the coals to the side. Here's a picture of one of my snake set ups/

9422716505_f6fd6e7d68_h.jpg

It's basically just making rows of briquettes along the side of the grill, and then you like about 10 - 15 briquettes and put them so they are all on one side just overlapping the start of your snake. The briquettes will slowly burn down the line like a really slow moving fuse. Not in the picture but I also put a big water pan down in the middle.

Just to note, how long of a snake you make will depend on cooking time, temp you're looking for, and the weather. The one in the picture works great for me to hold 225 for 6 hours in the summer here in NJ. During the winter, when it's super windy and cold I need to almost double the amount shown.

Should I just put the wood chunks/chips on top of the coals, because the guy on amazing ribs says in one article to put the in a bag of aluminum foil with holes, yet in that picture the wood is naked on top of the coals.

I don't put the wood chunks in anything, I just leave them right ontop of the coals, I also don't soak my wood chunks. I've noticed that for me if I soak them I get more of the white bad smoke. If I don't soak them, then I get the nice thin barely visible blue smoke that we all want.

One small Issue that I have with my Weber kettle is that the lid doesn't seem to be forming a complete seal, as I often see smoke escaping from under the lid (and not through the exhaust only like it should be). When I push down on the lid the smoke stops escaping. Any good tips for sealing a Weber better? I should mention there is quite a buildup of soot underneath the lid, so that might be causing it, what are some good ways to clean out the insides?

Once you start bbqing on it, and building up a layer of stuff from that it'll start to seal itself better. When I first got my Weber, it poured a lot of smoke from under the lid, a few months later, and much BBQing later, and now it really only comes out the top vent. I've heard of some people getting like Nomex gaskets to put around the edge of the bowl, and while I've considered it myself I haven't actually done it.

Now I just need to buy myself a good leave-in thermometer (been eyeing the Maverick, either the 732 or 733), and to find a nearby butcher since the grocery stores in Sweden don't sell cuts of meat bigger than 0.5-1kg.

Just wanted to add that I love my Maverick 732, it works great.

zam

For me, I really like Apple, Hickory, and Maple for Pork, and Apple, Maple, and other fruit woods for chicken.
Thanks for the tips, I'm assuming chunks are better than chips for long cooks/smokes (since the small chips would be consumed so fast).

Gotta find a good source for getting wood (especially chunks), since Sweden has basically zero BBQing tradition (though they don't know what they are missing, had some of the best pork in my life when I visited my parents in North Carolina last year).

Personally I think that image leaves a lot of info out. If you're going to smoke on a Weber grill I personally recommend the snake method. I find it's a lot easier to maintain a temp and control your burn speed than the minion method, with just banking the coals to the side. Here's a picture of one of my snake set ups: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2868/9422716505_f6fd6e7d68_h.jpg

It's basically just making rows of briquettes along the side of the grill, and then you like about 10 - 15 briquettes and put them so they are all on one side just overlapping the start of your snake. The briquettes will slowly burn down the line like a really slow moving fuse. Not in the picture but I also put a big water pan down in the middle.

Just to note, how long of a snake you make will depend on cooking time, temp you're looking for, and the weather. The one in the picture works great for me to hold 225 for 6 hours in the summer here in NJ. During the winter, when it's super windy and cold I need to almost double the amount shown.
Yeah I saw that version on amazingribs.com (where I got the picture from). I'll experiment a bit with amounts for different ambient temps.

Once you start bbqing on it, and building up a layer of stuff from that it'll start to seal itself better. When I first got my Weber, it poured a lot of smoke from under the lid, a few months later, and much BBQing later, and now it really only comes out the top vent. I've heard of some people getting like Nomex gaskets to put around the edge of the bowl, and while I've considered it myself I haven't actually done it.
Yeah that's the thing though, the inside of my Weber looks similar to yours. I've had it for a couple years now, I've just only used it for grilling, not actual BBQing. I googled around a bit and saw several tips for sealing a Weber better, gaskets like you mentioned, silicon caulk, and some more low-tech solutions like putting a brick on the lid (since when I push down on the lid it seals completely) or just clamping it with some binder clips. Might go with the clip option and if it doesn't get better I might look into a gasket or some silicon.

Just wanted to add that I love my Maverick 732, it works great.
Sweet, it seems that both the 732 and 733 have gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews, so it's just a matter of how much I can justify spending :p

The mavericks are great! And I'd suggest using lump charcoal over heat beads, way better flavours.
The problem with buying lump here is that the sizes vary wildly. Half of the bag will be bits the size of my fist (or even double), while the other half will be tiny little chips that will fall through the coal grate. It might just be that I'm buying the store brand lump charcoal, but the same brand briquettes are much better, and more consistent.

Thanks for the tips, I'm assuming chunks are better than chips for long cooks/smokes (since the small chips would be consumed so fast).

Gotta find a good source for getting wood (especially chunks), since Sweden has basically zero BBQing tradition (though they don't know what they are missing, had some of the best pork in my life when I visited my parents in North Carolina last year).

Different people will give you different answers. I've tried chips but I wasn't happy with the result, my friend swears by them though. Can't get him to even consider chunks. I say experiment and find what works for you. Can't help you on a good wood source. Although maybe see if there are any Apple orchards near you. The best smoking wood I get comes from a local apple orchard.

Yeah I saw that version on amazingribs.com (where I got the picture from). I'll experiment a bit with amounts for different ambient temps.

Yeah the snake works amazingly well in the Kettle grill.

Yeah that's the thing though, the inside of my Weber looks similar to yours. I've had it for a couple years now, I've just only used it for grilling, not actual BBQing. I googled around a bit and saw several tips for sealing a Weber better, gaskets like you mentioned, silicon caulk, and some more low-tech solutions like putting a brick on the lid (since when I push down on the lid it seals completely) or just clamping it with some binder clips. Might go with the clip option and if it doesn't get better I might look into a gasket or some silicon.

I could be wrong on this, so if some one knows more/better feel free to correct me. I believe the difference though is that with BBQing, since you're usually doing fatty cuts of meat for longer, you get a build up of like grease. As opposed to soot from the burning of the charcoal, you're getting a lot more of the fat and grease which is what I believe helps give it a better seal. Could totally be wrong though.

Sweet, it seems that both the 732 and 733 have gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews, so it's just a matter of how much I can justify spending :p

I'll just say if you plan on doing pulled pork, brisket or any other large hunk of meat, having a temp probe in them is worth every single penny.

The problem with buying lump here is that the sizes vary wildly. Half of the bag will be bits the size of my fist (or even double), while the other half will be tiny little chips that will fall through the coal grate. It might just be that I'm buying the store brand lump charcoal, but the same brand briquettes are much better, and more consistent.

For me, if I was using a Weber Smokey Mountain, I'd probably go lump. Using the kettle and the snake method I find briquettes work better for me. Though I don't use Kingsford or just any briquette. I use a brand like Stubbs that is pretty much just charcoal and some vegetable starch for a binding agent.

Yeah, you gotta find the good stuff, nice big solid lumps. There'll always be shattered bits, but it's worth it. I have a redwood & gidgie supplier in Australia that gets 90% solid lumps.

Maverick thermometer ordered, hopefully it gets here before the weekend because I was going to have some friends over for some meat and boardgames. Going to show them the ways of flavorful meat love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG_nJX_JfmU

You won't regret it. At first you'll probably get way more anal about your temps, but once you settle into it and learn how to control your spikes & troughs in temp, it helps you to relax whilst you wait for meat perfection.

I started up a Bacon club with some friends, and just put 5kgs of Pork Belly into a chipotle adobo based wet brine for 3 to 5 days which i'm going to smoke on some cherrywood. As it was still from the packer, it still had a rack of ribs on it, so i threw those in there too which i'll smoke with them to eat on the day. Can't wait!

Big Green Egg's don't appear to exist in Aus, has anyone heard of these Kamado BBQ's?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LARGE-CERAMIC-KAMADO-BBQ-WITH-PRO-ACCESSORIES-Grill-Charcoal-Smoker-Pizza-/291042226437

Yeah, I think they're pretty good. Same deal, really. Check out the AussieBBQ forum http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/

Or if you want to take your first step into Texan mayhem with a stick burner, these are a great place to start
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Smoker-O...H_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c364b5074&_uhb=1

I started up a Bacon club with some friends, and just put 5kgs of Pork Belly into a chipotle adobo based wet brine for 3 to 5 days which i'm going to smoke on some cherrywood.

Nice! I'm on day 4 of a dry cure. A mix of salt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. I'm going to cold smoke it with either a mix of Maple, Hickory, and Cherry or some grapevine.

andycapps

Maverick thermometer ordered, hopefully it gets here before the weekend because I was going to have some friends over for some meat and boardgames. Going to show them the ways of flavorful meat love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG_nJX_JfmU

Probes quit working on mine after a few months. I borrowed a couple thermometers from a friend that he got at Wal-mart and they did very well and seem to be made much better. I know Maverick is supposed to be nice, but those probes are shit.

So I finally upgraded to a weber smokey mountain. Anyone have any tips or secrets to make it perform at its best?

Congrats! Did you get the 18" or the 22.5" version?

They are great smokers, and will run for hours as long as you set it up using the "Minion Method".http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoYW9IWSEU

I would also recommend picking up a Maverick or other remote style probe thermometer that can monitor the meat AND smoker temps. You will be smoking for sometimes 8-12 hours, this will allow you to sleep overnight while it runs and also let you do other things while the smoker is running in addition to getting an accurate GRATE temp. The lid thermometer is off by around 25 deg from the grate to the lid.

The first few times the cooker will run hot until you get a good grease/smoke layer built up which "seasons" the cooker.

Foil the water pan inside and out for easier cleanup.

For your first cook I recommend Pork Butt aka Boston Butt for pulled pork, as it is forgiving and will help to speed up the seasoning process with a fatty cut of meat.

Good luck and enjoy the new WSM!!!

Probes quit working on mine after a few months. I borrowed a couple thermometers from a friend that he got at Wal-mart and they did very well and seem to be made much better. I know Maverick is supposed to be nice, but those probes are shit.

Maverick will replace them if you contact them. Just make sure you keep water out of the connection from the braided wire to the probe and try not to kink the wire at this junction.

I have seen some people get Hi-Temp Silicone shrink tube to wrap over this section on the probes to keep this from happening.

andycapps

Maverick will replace them if you contact them. Just make sure you keep water out of the connection from the braided wire to the probe and try not to kink the wire at this junction.

I have seen some people get Hi-Temp Silicone shrink tube to wrap over this section on the probes to keep this from happening.

I contacted them, the 90 day warranty on the probes had expired. I believe the transmitter and receiver has a longer warranty. I'll either order new probes or go to another type that's built a little more solid. I like the Maverick otherwise.

I contacted them, the 90 day warranty on the probes had expired. I believe the transmitter and receiver has a longer warranty. I'll either order new probes or go to another type that's built a little more solid. I like the Maverick otherwise.

This place makes replacement probes that are H20 resistant.

I love my Maverick, but they need to redesign/upgrade the probes to be more durable.

http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Ma...obe-Made-USA-ET-732-ET-733-Resistant-3-FT.htm

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm not sure if this site has been mentioned but

amazingribs.com

It's a really great site for all things BBQ. I've used many of their recipes and have never been disappointed.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm not sure if this site has been mentioned but

amazingribs.com

It's a really great site for all things BBQ. I've used many of their recipes and have never been disappointed.

yea. Not sure why people feel the need to buy books.

Theres more recipes online that I could ever do in my lifetime.

Just a few I use:

amazingribs.com
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
http://necessaryindulgences.com/
http://www.biggreenjoe.com/
http://bigtsbge.blogspot.com/

The other day I used a frozen brisket point and the brisket point i made two weeks ago to make burnt ends chili. This recipe is good.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/82900/burnt-ends-chili-with-qview-of-course

The only thing I changed was I added corn. That same day I smoked spare ribs ends, the brisket points, and italian sausage, and when all that was done i raised my egg's temp about 50 degrees and put the burnt ends chili in there in a cast iron pot.

zam

My first low and slow smoke went all right for a first time. Did a 1.5kg pork shoulder on the weber kettle. Turned out really good with an ok bark, but only had wood chips (the wood chunks I've ordered haven't come yet) so the smoke flavor was slightly off. It was 5-7C outside, with some heavy winds towards the evening, but the temperature remained nice and steady, with only a few dips in grate temp, which were solved with either just adjusting the vents, or removing one of the two water pans. Used Weber's briquettes as that's the best I can find at my local stores (the other brands of briqs burn out in 30-40min).

The Maverick remote was awesome, being able to sit inside out of the wind and cold and play some videogames while still keeping an eye on the temp is wonderful. Only downside is now I want to drill some holes in the side of my weber for the probes, since running them through the top vents makes removing the lid kinda awkward.

Next time I should have some proper wood chunks for some nice smoke, instead of the chips which burned up in like 5 mins and didn't give me a good smoke. Also next time I'll remember to take pics :)

mcfrank

Glad to see this thread is up and running today. Maybe I will get my smoker out this weekend since I have Chavez day off work.

otapnam

anyone have experience with a smokenator? Planning to finally take it out of the box after a year and a half hahahahaha

Ridli

Sup BBQ-gaf. I'm excited since I'm going to make the my first ribs of the year tomorrow.

I picked up something new for this year in a spice/coffee grinder for my rubs. Previously I've just been mixing by hand but I wanted something to crush my dried chilis so the seeds wouldnt clog up my shakers anymore. I was not prepared for exactly how fine of a grind you get out of these things, having never ground my own coffee beans before. When I saw how perfectly fine my rub was with this thing, I felt like Heisenberg.

Can't wait to cook!

Finally got my first smoker, a 14.5" Weber smokey mountain!

Gonna try burning some charcoal in there to get rid of anything from manufacturing, is there any recommended way or time I should do this?

CrankyJay

Banned
Finally got my first smoker, a 14.5" Weber smokey mountain!

Gonna try burning some charcoal in there to get rid of anything from manufacturing, is there any recommended way or time I should do this?

Nope. Just light and open all the vents all the way. Obviously no lighter fluid on the coals.

Let it get hot. Shouldn't get much hotter than 350. At least that's what my 18.5 maxes out at. Not sure what the little guy is capable off.

Nope. Just light and open all the vents all the way. Obviously no lighter fluid on the coals.

Let it get hot. Shouldn't get much hotter than 350. At least that's what my 18.5 maxes out at. Not sure what the little guy is capable off.

Got it. How much charcoal should I throw in there? Enough to fill it all up?

CrankyJay

Banned
Got it. How much charcoal should I throw in there? Enough to fill it all up?

Yeah, sorry for the late reply, I guess top the top of the charcoal ring is fine.

I mean, when I did it I even put some chicken quarters in there and bacon strips so the fat would also coat the inside of the smoker.

You'll find the more you smoke in it the better it gets, a mixture of coal and fat form a seal on the inside.

Yeah, sorry for the late reply, I guess top the top of the charcoal ring is fine.

I mean, when I did it I even put some chicken quarters in there and bacon strips so the fat would also coat the inside of the smoker.

You'll find the more you smoke in it the better it gets, a mixture of coal and fat form a seal on the inside.

Thanks for the help, gonna try it when I get home from work today.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This week Home Depot and Lowe's have twin packs of 20 pound bags of Kinsgford on sale for 12.99.

I usually stock up for the entire year with this sale.

CrankyJay

Banned
This week Home Depot and Lowe's have twin packs of 20 pound bags of Kinsgford on sale for 12.99.

I usually stock up for the entire year with this sale.

Decent price for those but not the best. They are 9.99 during Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. I always stock up huge during these times.

Looks to be 65 in buffalo this weekend so I'm going to dust off the WSM and smoke a couple of racks.

Billen

Banned
I have successfully made some smokey bbq sauce with chipotle earlier. Would anyone like to share their recipes for sweet or strong bbq sauces? Smokey flavours preferred.

I've decided this year is going to be the year I attempt a whole packer brisket. I'm thinking about trying to find a used smokenator for doing it, just to help with maintaining temps easier over that long of a cook. I REALLY want to invest in a WSM, just probably won't be able to do it this year, so I'll keep smoking things on the kettle for now.

CrankyJay

Banned
I've decided this year is going to be the year I attempt a whole packer brisket. I'm thinking about trying to find a used smokenator for doing it, just to help with maintaining temps easier over that long of a cook. I REALLY want to invest in a WSM, just probably won't be able to do it this year, so I'll keep smoking things on the kettle for now.

Well, you can get the 14" WSM for $199 but that probably won't fit a whole packer...hell, I'm not even sure if the 18.5" does... $299.

I can see that seeming like a large amount but for the amount of times you use it it really makes it worth it and pays for itself quickly.

dskillzhtown

It is quite the investment. I have a 18.5" WSM and a whole packer barely fits in there. The only reason I got mine is because it was on clearance. I could never justify the expense of the 22". I just don't cook big meals enough. I recently got a 14" and it is much more practical for small smokes.

andycapps

It is quite the investment. I have a 18.5" WSM and a whole packer barely fits in there. The only reason I got mine is because it was on clearance. I could never justify the expense of the 22". I just don't cook big meals enough. I recently got a 14" and it is much more practical for small smokes.

I can't even find packers here in Ohio. Maybe at restaurant supply places, but everybody here just sells the flats.

dskillzhtown

how is the wsm? looking to smoke little things not racks. or should i go cheaper?

I love the WSM. If you are going to strictly smoke smaller items, then go with the 14" model. If you want something to be able to grill as well, maybe a kettle would work better for you. A kettle is a bit more versatile. Or you could just buy both!

I love the WSM. If you are going to strictly smoke smaller items, then go with the 14" model. If you want something to be able to grill as well, maybe a kettle would work better for you. A kettle is a bit more versatile. Or you could just buy both!
I already have a weber gas grill, I would literally smoke small meats. My gf is a leaf eater so a whole brisket is futile. I know that burgers, steaks etc taste better on a charcoal grill, but can't stand to wait the 15-20 min to get the coals going.

Top Bottom