• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Was just curious why you are running the thermo under the lid instead of the grommets holes on the side?

Because the grommet is a pain in the ass. That is the only reason. If you don't run the probe in there before you start the smoke, it is a pain in the ass trying to run it while the temps are up. I forgot, so just ran it under the lid. Not really a difference as far as the cook goes. Hell, I hadn't had a grommet for years before I got the 14 inch WSM. It becomes a big inconvenience at times.

Hanzou

Because the grommet is a pain in the ass. That is the only reason. If you don't run the probe in there before you start the smoke, it is a pain in the ass trying to run it while the temps are up. I forgot, so just ran it under the lid. Not really a difference as far as the cook goes. Hell, I hadn't had a grommet for years before I got the 14 inch WSM. It becomes a big inconvenience at times.
Haha Ok thays what I thought. It can be annoying at times. If you go through the large hole on the top rack where the handle is you can make it work with minimal effort I have found.

CrankyJay

Banned
Heck, I run mine under the lid too...usually take a potato/apple/orange and cut it in half and then put the probe through that so it is about an inch off the grate and flat.

Hanzou

Heck, I run mine under the lid too...usually take a potato/apple/orange and cut it in half and then put the probe through that so it is about an inch off the grate and flat.
Yeah in many ways it is easier. Will probably put more stress on the value over time though. I actual just took a small piece of wood and drilled a hole through it and put the probe in that to hold it in place.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah in many ways it is easier. Will probably put more stress on the value over time though. I actual just took a small piece of wood and drilled a hole through it and put the probe in that to hold it in place.

Value of what? The only thing getting damaged or worn is the insulated probe wire.

MRSA

Banned
Contemplating between picking up a Weber Gold vs Silver. Can't seem to find a newer Kettle in either silver or gold on CL lately. The extra $50 for the hinged grate and ash catcher seems worth it to me.

CrankyJay

Banned
Contemplating between picking up a Weber Gold vs Silver. Can't seem to find a newer Kettle in either silver or gold on CL lately. The extra $50 for the hinged grate and ash catcher seems worth it to me.

Well, you have options...you could get the Silver and buy an extra hinged grate off of Amazon for $25...but then you'd have no ash catcher.

I'm having a hard time convincing the wife of a Gold myself, not because of price, but because I already have a WSM and Weber gasser....lol

Ridli

Even if it didn't have the hinged grill, having the ash catcher is worth it. Saving 3 to 5 minutes of cleanup from scooping out ash each time you grill adds up over the summer. And the next summer. And so on.

MRSA

Banned
Not sure whether I want the black or copper colored Weber. Black is traditional but the copper is quite a nice color.

I tell you I kind of wish I had gone with a performer for the table, it just adds so much to the price. I ended up buying a 15 dollar folding table at Walmart that is the perfect height and size. Either way you can't go wrong with a Weber kettle.

CrankyJay

Banned
I tell you I kind of wish I had gone with a performer for the table, it just adds so much to the price. I ended up buying a 15 dollar folding table at Walmart that is the perfect height and size. Either way you can't go wrong with a Weber kettle.

Yeah, that doesn't seem worth the extra $200 to me.

ShinAmano

Going to smoke another butt tonight. 9.5lbs dry rub 75/25 mix of jack Daniels and apple chips with hickory lump.

Ahhh bbq season :)

CrankyJay

Banned
Going to smoke another butt tonight. 9.5lbs dry rub 75/25 mix of jack Daniels and apple chips with hickory lump.

Ahhh bbq season :)

GRRRR....it's been raining here non-stop. Not that rain would necessarily stop me from doing a smoke but it's been a soaking rain and accompanied by some wind.

Looking forward to smoking a brined chicken or doing a butt.

MRSA

Banned
Yeah I would love a Weber Performer but I simply don't have the funds or the space for it. The propane ignition seems pretty cool but the chimney makes things so easy.

Gonna order a Smokenator as well, what's a food starter meat to smoke? I got a hankering for some brisket.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah I would love a Weber Performer but I simply don't have the funds or the space for it. The propane ignition seems pretty cool but the chimney makes things so easy.

Yeah, the weber chimney is ace, and the starter wax cubes help too.

ShinAmano

GRRRR....it's been raining here non-stop. Not that rain would necessarily stop me from doing a smoke but it's been a soaking rain and accompanied by some wind.

Looking forward to smoking a brined chicken or doing a butt.
The chicken sounds awesome...might have to do that next weekend.

Also dont let the rain stop you...I did 40lbs of butts last friday and it was a monsoon here...no kidding 3" of rain in a matter of hours.

Go gold, I think you'll find the extra convenience features well worth the cost. Plus it's a Weber, meaning that you'll be living with this decision for a very long time unless you decide to sell it down the road, so I think the extra $50 is pretty easily accounted for over the course of a decade or so.

As for the Performer, I've been seriously considering it lately. I built myself a small side table out of some construction-grade scraps to hold me over for the summer last year and I'm planning on building a nicer table this year but honestly, by the time I buy the wood, screws and finish I could have probably just bought a Performer any-damn-way. Mine will be solid wood versus the metal/plastic of the Performer, but I'll still be missing the lighter so I guess it's a trade-off.

Also, I stumbled upon a great fire-starter I thought I'd share. Save your cooking oil and drizzle a little over a small wad of paper towels. It burns much longer than the traditional rolled up newspaper, is cheaper than commercial fire starters and provides a use for old cooking oil that would otherwise be thrown out. Not to mention I can't recall the last time I bought a newspaper, where as I think the house would fall in if I didn't have paper towels on hand.

CrankyJay

Banned
My Genesis Silver A is from 2003...I got it for $350 and still in great condition. The only things I have replaced on it have been:

Igniter $10
Flavor Bars: $30
Gas Tubes: $30-40

Shell and grill grates still in great shape after 10-11 years.

Gonna order a Smokenator as well, what's a food starter meat to smoke? I got a hankering for some brisket.

Can't go wrong with pork butt/Boston butt/pork shoulder.

DonCuco

The weber performer is so versatile, and the one on that craigslist ad is in very good condition. I would try to drop that price to $140 or lower if you can.

MRSA

Banned
I shot him an email, I'm still partial to the copper color for some odd reason but if I can get a good deal on a Performer then I'll go with it. I also don't think it'll fit in my car unless I partially disassemble the grill.

CrankyJay

Banned
I shot him an email, I'm still partial to the copper color for some odd reason but if I can get a good deal on a Performer then I'll go with it. I also don't think it'll fit in my car unless I partially disassemble the grill.

Got a lowes or Home Depot near you? You can rent a truck for like $20 an hour plus gas.

MRSA

Banned
I have a both nearby. Considering it the Performer but I'm coming to conclusion that I don't have space here at my place.

I can fit the grill if I remove the actual kettle and throw the cart in the back of my hatch.

old

Some one once said jazz is America's gift to the world.

Nay! BBQ is America's gift to the world.

MRSA

Banned
Adding up the value of that Weber Performer, its about $400 new for all thats included for $200 bucks, five years old though. Add another $20 for a truck, eh, I'm better off getting a OTG? Especially since I'm space confined.

CrankyJay

Banned
Adding up the value of that Weber Performer, its about $400 new for all thats included for $200 bucks, five years old though. Add another $20 for a truck, eh, I'm better off getting a OTG? Especially since I'm space confined.

Yeah. Spend the $150 now. Upgrade later when you get space. Get dat copper.

dskillzhtown

I have a Performer. It replaced my One Touch Silver. I love that table and propane starter. I bought the Weber work table for my OTS, but wanted more room, so the Performer was a no-brainer. That and the hardware store near me had it on sale. They used to do annual sales on weber products in January, that has since stopped.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Picked up one of these from Harbor Freight for $20. Coals for BBQ fuse ready in under 2 minutes when you crank it up. You can get an entire batch of coals ready for direct heat in under 5 minutes!

ehTGI9L.jpg

dskillzhtown

I wouldn't let it being 5 years old deter you. These things last forever. As far as the space goes, it isn't much more space used up by the Performer. You have to have some clearance from your place to the OTG anyway, the table on the Performer could be in that space. I would just hate for you to buy a OTG for 150 bucks now and then buy a Performer for 400 shortly afterwards.

dskillzhtown

Is there a site for the basics of bbq?

I would like a good starting off point.

Weber has a good education page - http://www.weber.com/weber-nation

Has Grill Skills and Prep School. Those sites teach you about choosing meat, preparing meat and grilling/smoking it. They are all videos, so they show you what they are talking about. That is good to start, but nothing teaches you like experience.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Is there a site for the basics of bbq?

I would like a good starting off point.

There is a site called amazingribs.com with some good info, but the site is poorly organized. If you don't mind dealing with it then check it out.

I bought Chris Lilly's BBQ book (Big Bib Gibson's) from amazon and it's got some good info on basics and some excellent recipes. His rub recipes are really good.

CrankyJay

Banned
I wouldn't let it being 5 years old deter you. These things last forever. As far as the space goes, it isn't much more space used up by the Performer. You have to have some clearance from your place to the OTG anyway, the table on the Performer could be in that space. I would just hate for you to buy a OTG for 150 bucks now and then buy a Performer for 400 shortly afterwards.

whynotboth.jpg

MRSA

Banned
Well I'll offer $180 delivered (He said he can drop it off for $20) for he used Weber Performer. I really want a copper colored one though.

Top Bottom