• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

MRSA

Banned
How much would a decent smoker cost? I'm intrigued and I'm thinking of smoking some meat this summer.

Can't go wrong with a Weber kettle, it takes more effort, but you also get an amazing grill. You could get a used Weber 22.5" for under $50 and you can start smoking.

So I bought myself a Weber charcoal BBQ (the Compact 47cm model) and I'll be trying my hand at brisket for the first time next weekend. I'm planning to use this recipe as it seems easy enough to follow (and the dude has mad cowboy swagger). Does anyone have any rookie tips or advice for brisket?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Wal Mart has brisket for less than $2 per pound and I couldn't resist. Picked up a 10.5 pounder for $17.
Thats gotta be whole packer right? Thats a damn good price. I paid 2.48lb for mine last weekend.

So I bought myself a Weber charcoal BBQ (the Compact 47cm model) and I'll be trying my hand at brisket for the first time next weekend. I'm planning to use this recipe as it seems easy enough to follow (and the dude has mad cowboy swagger). Does anyone have any rookie tips or advice for brisket?
brisket is the least forgiving of any of the typical BBQ meats. If you haven't bought the brisket yet, the more flexible it is at the store the more tender it should be.

I love pecan and apple wood for smoking my briskets with.

What I typically do is smoke mine at 225 for about 5+ hours, til the meat is 160 internal, i then wrap it in foil with beer and beef broth and put that baby back on till its done. at this point ill also raise the pit temp to about 275. 2 hours later Ill stick it with a thermo and wait for 195 internal temp. Also test the tenderness of it, if its hard to go in or out its not done. Always go in at an angle, against the grain. Once done, I leave it in the foil to rest for 1+ hour.

Always cut against the grain when serving.

You can inject if you want, the one I did last week I injected it with butter, beef broth, apple juice and salt.

There's no real wrong way to do BBQ, as long as you dont burn or overcook the meat.

Chris R

Shit, better hit up the Lowes on my lunch I guess!

Thinking I'll grab a shitload of ribs for the weekend... Any tips on setting up a vertical rig so I can fit more in my grill?

otapnam

Yup. $1.67 per lb, and they had a lot. If I had access to my offset smoker I would have bought several.

Thinking I'll grab a shitload of ribs for the weekend... Any tips on setting up a vertical rig so I can fit more in my grill?

I bought a 18" grate to float on my 22.5" performer. Going to use bolts n washers to space it

Well I'm smoking a brisket on my gas grill on Monday. Wish me luck. It won't be ideal but it's my only hope to "smoke" something this weekend.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
FYI on the Kingsford deal. Home Depot has a 10 pack limit (so you end up with 20 bags), Lowes has a 2 pack limit (four bags). So if you are planning on loading up, Home Depot is the way to go. I found that this year Lowes is actually enforcing the limit the hard way. I went to Lowes this morning and they stopped me at the cashier saying a 2 pack limit. This was after the store manager helped me load up 5 packs on a cart. I just left all that there and then drove across the street to Home Depot and got 6 packs!

Everytime I go to Lowes there seems to be some kind of issue. From not having my online order ready or just generally not having what I need at the time. I am going to fire up a Brisket tomorrow, today just going to do something simple like burgers and some sausage for my folks.

MRSA

Banned
How long is 120lb of charcoal gonna last me? Hrmm.....should I stock up on more? Its just so cheap. They usually have another sale during the 4th, so maybe I'll hold out.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
FYI on the Kingsford deal. Home Depot has a 10 pack limit (so you end up with 20 bags), Lowes has a 2 pack limit (four bags). So if you are planning on loading up, Home Depot is the way to go. I found that this year Lowes is actually enforcing the limit the hard way. I went to Lowes this morning and they stopped me at the cashier saying a 2 pack limit. This was after the store manager helped me load up 5 packs on a cart. I just left all that there and then drove across the street to Home Depot and got 6 packs!

Everytime I go to Lowes there seems to be some kind of issue. From not having my online order ready or just generally not having what I need at the time. I am going to fire up a Brisket tomorrow, today just going to do something simple like burgers and some sausage for my folks.

brb

CrankyJay

Banned
How long is 120lb of charcoal gonna last me? Hrmm.....should I stock up on more? Its just so cheap. They usually have another sale during the 4th, so maybe I'll hold out.
120 would last me about 1 year. Maybe more. Depends on how often you smoke and what sort of stuff you are cooking.

Noob question but I just got a Weber charcoal grill, used it for the first time last night.

How often should I clean the grill? Some people say never and others say after every use.

MRSA

Banned
Noob question but I just got a Weber charcoal grill, used it for the first time last night.

How often should I clean the grill? Some people say never and others say after every use.

Clean the grates before and after each use. As for the actual grill itself, all the build up will actually help build a better seal.

Ribs are on the grill, and I stopped by Sam's Club today. They had Brisket Flats, guess how much.......no go ahead take a guess.......

SEVEN FUCKING DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS A POUND.

FUCK.

While you're at Lowe's pick up the vertical rack from the grill section.

Still cheaper than Kosher meat :p

Not even close though to the 2 dollars or less a lb others are posting. Unless I can find some cheaper brisket I may not be doing any this year. 20 bucks I could drop and not be that upset about it not coming out great as I learned it. At 70 bucks or more, no damn way.

Not even close though to the 2 dollars or less a lb others are posting. Unless I can find some cheaper brisket I may not be doing any this year. 20 bucks I could drop and not be that upset about it not coming out great as I learned it. At 70 bucks or more, no damn way.

Kosher can be 20 a pound up here lol

Clean the grates before and after each use. As for the actual grill itself, all the build up will actually help build a better seal.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated! Just to clarify the grate is this part that your chimney starter is on, right?
6xUJQk6.jpg
I have the same set up as you, apart from the smokenator, can't get those in Ireland :(

Is it worth importing one?

MRSA

Banned
Thanks for your help, much appreciated! Just to clarify the grate is this part that your chimney starter is on, right?

I have the same set up as you, apart from the smokenator, can't get those in Ireland :(

Is it worth importing one?

That's the charcoal grate, the larger grate is your food grate that needs to be cleaned before and after each cook.

Is the smokenator worth importing one? Probably not, you can achieve basically the same thing with some firebricks, might not look as pretty but essentially what the smokenator is a baffle. Do I think its worth $70? Yes, others will tell you no. It turned my kettle into a pretty damn good smoker/BBQ. If you do get one, ditch the water pan and get a larger aluminum bread pan or something that holds more water so you don't have to refill every hour. You made the right choice though, copper is the best Weber.

That being said, I think I'm gonna do a rack of spareribs on the bottom charcoal grate, ontop I will do moink balls and some bratswurst (to make some currywurst).

Thanks again for your input MRSA.

That being said, I think I'm gonna do a rack of spareribs on the bottom charcoal grate, ontop I will do moink balls and some bratswurst (to make some currywurst).

How do you cook using both grates at once? Put the charcoal under the smaller, bottom grate?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Did the same on my egg when I did the 40lbs of Boston butts. Way better than the official bge option.
dude, you should see the rack system I got for my egg.

I got some ribs and sausage today that I'm gonna do on Monday, I'll take a picture.

I bought 480 pounds during the sale earlier this year. I have gone through about 30 pounds already. I am thinking of getting more. I have an addiction, lol.
Jesus h Christ, 30 pounds from when exactly? How many cooks is that?

When I did that Boston butt on my dads smoker for Easter, I used an entire 10lb bag of B&B hickory lump, plus several big oak logs, plus lots of briquettes at the end, just to keep it around 250 degrees for about 8 hours. One 10lb bag of B&B lump lasts me at least 3 if not 4 cooks on the egg.

BTW anyone that uses B&B academy had 20lb bags for 10 bucks.

Ribs are on the grill, and I stopped by Sam's Club today. They had Brisket Flats, guess how much.......no go ahead take a guess.......

SEVEN FUCKING DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS A POUND.

FUCK.
yea you're paying for the labor to have someone else cut it. Just get a whole packer and trim it yourself.

MRSA

Banned
Thanks again for your input MRSA.

How do you cook using both grates at once? Put the charcoal under the smaller, bottom grate?

6xUJQk6.jpg

If you look at the picture you'll see that the smokenator isolates the heat source so it frees up space, again the same can be done with fire bricks.

The bottom grate is significantly cooler than the top grate so cooking times will be longer on the bottom, I plan on switching to the top grate once I'm finished with the moink and brats.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jesus h Christ, 30 pounds from when exactly? How many cooks is that?

When I did that Boston butt on my dads smoker for Easter, I used an entire 10lb bag of B&B hickory lump, plus several big oak logs, plus lots of briquettes at the end, just to keep it around 250 degrees for about 8 hours. One 10lb bag of B&B lump lasts me at least 3 if not 4 cooks on the egg.

Haha! I have done a few briskets and Butts since President's Day in my WSM. I also do most of my cooking in the backyard. I can't tell you the last time I used the oven in my kitchen. Surely not in 2014. My backyard is wind central, so that adds to the fuel use. What I have right now will last me until this time next year, maybe longer. With all that said, now that I have a Smokey Joe and 14.5" WSM, I think my fuel use is going to be cut big time.

I will post what my garage looks like right now in a few minutes. A bunch of Kingsford.

IMG_20140524_105614.jpg

Jayburner

Banned
Haha! I have done a few briskets and Butts since President's Day in my WSM. I also do most of my cooking in the backyard. I can't tell you the last time I used the oven in my kitchen. Surely not in 2014. My backyard is wind central, so that adds to the fuel use. What I have right now will last me until this time next year, maybe longer. With all that said, now that I have a Smokey Joe and 14.5" WSM, I think my fuel use is going to be cut big time.

I will post what my garage looks like right now in a few minutes. A bunch of Kingsford.

IMG_20140524_105614.jpg

I'd hate to get on your bad side.

CrankyJay

Banned

IMG_20140524_105614.jpg

Lol, awesome

Bii

IMG_20140524_105614.jpg

Jesus.

Gonna head out in a bit to grab some charcoals from Wal-Mart. Not 240872082 lbs of it, though.

yea you're paying for the labor to have someone else cut it. Just get a whole packer and trim it yourself.

Yeah very true, I wish I could find whole packers around here. I must continue my quest.

My charcoal supply pales in comparison but what the heck here's a photo. Consider it an appeasement since I forgot to take a pic of the ribs before they got devoured.

14066935709_23615f35a9_h.jpg

It's about 100lbs of lump, and 30lbs of briquettes. The white bags contain apple wood from a local orchard, and to the right is grapevine I plan to do some smoking with.

Top Bottom