• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

CrankyJay

Banned
Attempting my first rack of ribs tmw

Any tips? Planning on trying to follow franklin BBQ web video general plan

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Some like to smoke ribs at 225 for 5-6 hours but I like going at 275 and smoking for 3 then foil wrap the last hour with beer or apple juice. I find it just renders out the fat faster.

Are you using wood chips or chunks? If using chunks, I like to preburn those so the outer layer is burned. The result is a cleaner smoke flavor.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You have a kamado grill that's intended for basically firewood, so lump is your best bet.

I don't care really as to what I use for heat, again its heat, I go for a cheap reliable source. Kingsford blue when on sale is the best bang for the buck.

I like lump for fast and hot, but no two bags of lump are the same as far as consistency go. You can get a bag of Royal Oak with a lot of large chunks of lump and then open the next bag to only get medium to small chunks and lots of useless dust. With briquettes you get the same with every bag. Ash isn't a big deal for the kettle style as they were made with ash in mind
my point was that it doesn't really matter, if lump burns hotter, since you should be able to control the airflow.

That said, you don't really care what you use for heat? C'mon man. Whatever you use as a heat source will impart flavor/taste into what you are cooking

Holy crap...was that something you bought or made? If bought I need a link now...if made I need instructions or for you to make me a rack :)

Well...going to smoke some ribs and sausages tomorrow...might make some wings as well.
http://ceramicgrillstore.com/

I got the large adjustable rig. The three rack system with the spider and the 13" stone and the oval stone.

If you are doing 2 racks they recommend the oval stone, if you do three they recommend the spider with the circular 13" stone. They are made here in Texas, very nice people and they ship fast.

CrankyJay

Banned
my point was that it doesn't really matter, if lump burns hotter, since you should be able to control the airflow.

That said, you don't really care what you use for heat? C'mon man. Whatever you use as a heat source will impart flavor/taste into what you are cooking

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/

I got the large adjustable rig. The three rack system with the spider and the 13" stone and the oval stone.

If you are doing 2 racks they recommend the oval stone, if you do three they recommend the spider with the circular 13" stone. They are made here in Texas, very nice people and they ship fast.

If I'm doing a 10+ hour cook I'm sure as hell not using lump. The point is not to have to tend to the fire constantly.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
My contribution for the weekend

RnjX0bk.jpg

captive

If I'm doing a 10+ hour cook I'm sure as hell not using lump. The point is not to have to tend to the fire constantly.

Agree completely.

But now we're just getting into the differences in our pits. With my egg I've gone 14+ hours on one load of lump and once I peg the temp I don't have to do anything with it, I just throw whatever wood chunks into it as needed.

I'm just hesitant to ever use briquettes because I don't know what's in them. To each their own.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm just hesitant to ever use briquettes because I don't know what's in them. To each their own.

Heh, we're talking about ingesting carcinogens and soot from smoke and being worried about not knowing what's in them...not trying to jump on you, just found that to be a funny statement.

MRSA

Banned

Its a source of heat, period. Yeah it imparts a little bit of flavor, but your flavor will come from your wood and rub, not the charcoal. Thats why I use whatever is on sale.

Most the guys at competition will say the same, its a fuel source, not a flavor source.

So I finally got around to a longer smoke on my Weber kettle, holy cow this thing cooks. I ran a 2x2 line of coals around 3/4 of the charcoal grate with a few lit briquettes at one end and was able to maintain 250-280 for just over 9 hours, with plenty of heat remaining after I pulled the meat.

I smoked a 6lb bone-in pork shoulder using the rub here. Pretty standard rub as far as bbq goes but it was my first time following a recipe and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Between 8 adults there was not much left at the end of the night. Will try to post some pics next time, as easy as that was I can't imagine not doing it again sometime soon.

captive

Its a source of heat, period. Yeah it imparts a little bit of flavor, but your flavor will come from your wood and rub, not the charcoal. Thats why I use whatever is on sale.

Most the guys at competition will say the same, its a fuel source, not a flavor source.

i've been watching a lot of BBQ pitmasters lately cause my DVR is recording them all and almost no one uses briquettes.

yea agree to disagree or whatever. Dont know why you're so defensive about it.

CrankyJay

Banned
i've been watching a lot of BBQ pitmasters lately cause my DVR is recording them all and almost no one uses briquettes.

yea agree to disagree or whatever. Dont know why you're so defensive about it.

Most use real logs...but almost everyone in this thread is a home enthusiast who doesn't have a smoker big enough to accommodate logs or doesn't have access. It's cool though. Just use what you prefer. I was just speaking on the notion that you don't HAVE to go one way versus the other.

captive

Most use real logs...but almost everyone in this thread is a home enthusiast who doesn't have a smoker big enough to accommodate logs or doesn't have access. It's cool though. Just use what you prefer. I was just speaking on the notion that you don't HAVE to go one way versus the other.
yea i know. Hes the one who brought up competition, I was just pointing out what I have noticed in said competitions. I was watching one where this lady borrowed big green eggs from someone else and the judges kept saying that her food tasted like lighter fluid and she was like wtf i never use lighter fluid. She called her friend and found out he had used lighter fluid in his eggs.

That shit(lighter fluid) sticks to the pit and can and will affect flavor and in my opinion the same thing with bad fuel source. When i've let me egg sit for a while and I open it up I can smell the wood smell and that shit smells good. When i light my lump and let it burn I can smell the oak flavor when its ready long before i've ever put any other woods in it. The smells may not happen with metal smokers, I dont know cause I dont have one to use regularly.

Also he's the one that said lump burns faster, implying too fast. All i was saying is it will burn as slow as you want it to with the right tools and control.

CrankyJay

Banned
yea i know. Hes the one who brought up competition, I was just pointing out what I have noticed in said competitions. I was watching one where this lady borrowed big green eggs from someone else and the judges kept saying that her food tasted like lighter fluid and she was like wtf i never use lighter fluid. She called her friend and found out he had used lighter fluid in his eggs.

That shit(lighter fluid) sticks to the pit and can and will affect flavor and in my opinion the same thing with bad fuel source. When i've let me egg sit for a while and I open it up I can smell the wood smell and that shit smells good. When i light my lump and let it burn I can smell the oak flavor when its ready long before i've ever put any other woods in it. The smells may not happen with metal smokers, I dont know cause I dont have one to use regularly.

Also he's the one that said lump burns faster, implying too fast. All i was saying is it will burn as slow as you want it to with the right tools and control.

Some competitors use WSMs and they use Kingsford Blue...anyone who puts lighter fluid on anything is an idiot when you have chimneys.

Some people have very sensitive palates. But again, if you use briquettes and smoking you're also going to use wood chunks.

MRSA

Banned
Not trying to get confrontational at the risk of getting banned.

Use whatever you prefer, I prefer cheapest that's on sale (That also implies that I wouldn't use anything with added flavors or accelerants). I think flavor comes from your rub and wood, not the charcoal used. Lump I like to use because it has burned hotter and faster for me, it burns faster and and hotter due to the inconsistent shape and sizes of lump. I don't make a big deal over what I use for heat, I'm more concerned for the rub, quality of meat, and temp rather than type of charcoal used.

Those ceramic cookers were made with natural wood in mind so lump works fine in them.

That being said, whats everyone grilling/smoking this weekend for Father's Day?

CrankyJay

Banned
Not trying to get confrontational at the risk of getting banned.

Use whatever you prefer, I prefer cheapest that's on sale (That also implies that I wouldn't use anything with added flavors or accelerants). I think flavor comes from your rub and wood, not the charcoal used. Lump I like to use because it has burned hotter and faster for me, it burns faster and and hotter due to the inconsistent shape and sizes of lump. I don't make a big deal over what I use for heat, I'm more concerned for the rub, quality of meat, and temp rather than type of charcoal used.

Those ceramic cookers were made with natural wood in mind so lump works fine in them.

Absolutely nothing, it's my 2nd year of being a Father so I'm taking the day off, and none of the women in my family can cook so I wouldn't be surprised if they just ordered a pizza, lol.

I'm going to try smoking some country-style pork ribs. I've grilled them with some success but I've never thought to smoke them before so we'll see how that turns out.

I don't get a chance to smoke meat as often as I'd like so I'm actually looking forward to using Father's Day as an opportunity to cook something.

I did pulled pork last weekend, and I'm hoping my KCBS membership card shows up this week, because if it does I'm going to Restaurant Depot and getting a brisket. I broke down and signed up last month simply for the day pass to RD, since a whole packer brisket or brisket at less than 8 dollars a lb is a fucking Unicorn in NNJ.

Bii

Smoking some spareribs. My local grocer has them on sale for $1.99/lb. Maybe I'll grab two racks and cook for family/friends. I'm still new to this as this will only be my second attempt.

CrankyJay

Banned
I did pulled pork last weekend, and I'm hoping my KCBS membership card shows up this week, because if it does I'm going to Restaurant Depot and getting a brisket. I broke down and signed up last month simply for the day pass to RD, since a whole packer brisket or brisket at less than 8 dollars a lb is a fucking Unicorn in NNJ.

I work with a guy who has an RD card, I should ask him if I can tag along next time.

My local wholesale club stopped doing full packers, wtf?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Some competitors use WSMs and they use Kingsford Blue...anyone who puts lighter fluid on anything is an idiot when you have chimneys.

Some people have very sensitive palates. But again, if you use briquettes and smoking you're also going to use wood chunks.

My neighbor uses lighter fluid and Kingsford. I know this because if I am in the backyard I can smell it before he even lights a match. How we used to use that stuff while cooking, I have no idea. Just really not a good idea. Though I think Myron Mixon still uses lighter fluid (atleast he did 2 years ago), so what do I know.

As far as Father's Day, I think I am going to smoke some ribs for my pops and take them over.

GiJoccin

first attempt at ribs... kinda followed BBQ w/ Franklin's web video on how to make it

made my own bbq sauce which came out awesome, tho i think i overdid it on the apple cider vinegar, definitely need to get a spray bottle

also, next time i might just try a pure dry rub on the ribs, not sure if i like it pre-sauced

8gaIWur.jpg

Going to try my hand at smoking baby back ribs today. Set up the rub last night, they have been in the fridge since about 10:30pm last night, and I'm starting up the fire now.

captive

Picked up a 9lb whole packer yesterday. Going to do that today for my lunches for the week and then nice big old steaks for my father.

So my first attempt at ribs was a success. I did baby back pork, and got a good deal for 2 racks at the local market. I've never smoked ribs before, and I just followed a lot of advice off of various sites, Neogaf included. Next time I won't use as much rub as they came out a bit spicy, but it wasn't overpowering. I opted not to add the sauce to the ribs for the last hour, and I did a foil wrap with some Shiner.

They cut beautifully and the meat was tender as hell. Overall super pleased at the end result.

CrankyJay

Banned
Wife surprised me today with an OTG even though I have a WSM. Looking forward to wood grilling done stuff.

bf5VCTk.jpg

That's a 10 pack of mixed IPAs.

Good haul. Everyone needs a classic Weber.

As for the wood vs charcoal vs briquettes debate, it's whatever works best for you. Personally, I love the challenge of a 12 hour cook with real wood on my offset, and the flavour can't be beat. Feeding and maintaining a living & breathing wood fire is pretty rewarding when you pull it off, and it's a good way to spend a day being constructive whilst just playing with a fire. If i'm lazy, i'll throw briquettes in the weber and just go for broke, and it's still great, but it's not the same.

CrankyJay

Banned
So last week my KCBS membership card came in and I took a ride to Restaurant Depot. Where I was FINALLY able to find a whole packer brisket!

I decided to go small to start off with and got a 7.5lb one.

14418791326_285b64e948_h.jpg

I trimmed it (which I think I over trimmed it) and rubbed it down with half salt and half freshly ground black pepper.

14440794244_fce5239a01_h.jpg

I smoked it with hickory wood for 8 - 8 1/2 hours.

14255274599_b1e6ccf1cf_h.jpg

I let it rest for about an hour and then sliced it. Overall it was tasty but the flat definitely came out kind of dry. The flavor was there and good, but I think it could have been tenderer and juicier. Next time I won't trim off as much fat. The point came out pretty close I would say, was tender, juice and flavorful.

14440804214_c3acb57700_h.jpg

Some things I'll change for my next attempt will be like I said, to trim it a fair bit less. I also won't use the Smokenator. I picked one up like 2 months ago used, and this was my 3rd time using it and I'm just not happy with how it runs compared to just setting up a snake. I know a lot of people have success with it, but maybe my area is just too windy for it to do it's thing.

I thought with the brisket I might avoid burning some edges by using it, which it did do that, but other aspects of it were just a royal pain in the ass. I find it doesn't stay on temperature the way a snake will, I felt like I was adjusting the vents all the time. Plus adding in more charcoal seemed to cause all of it to start which jumped the temps to like 350! To which I had to remove all the now lit charcoal. With the way I add coals to a snake it basically just reverses the direction of it and keeps humming along at temp.

MRSA

Banned
Best thing to do with the smokenator is get rid of that miniscule water pan, so you can fill that sucker to the top with charcoal. I got an aluminum bread pan thats more than twice the size for like 3 bucks. The pan holds enough water for about 3 hours.

Yeah I use an aluminum pan (one of the disposable ones) and fill that with a couple quarts of water, same as I would when I use the snake method.

zam

This is one of the best threads ever. You guys are making me want to learn how to smoke.
I started smoking this year and as CrankyJay says, it's easy. Once you can keep stable temps you can just start the meat smoking and then pretty much forget about it until it's done. Just beware that your friends start coming around your place all the time when word gets out that you are making delicious smoked meat.

Since I'm on vacation I did some pulled pork today, trying out Franklin's Texas Rub from this video.

Apologies for shitty cellphone pics.
Franklin's rub on the right, Meathead's Memphis Dust left. 1.5kg shoulders each, cause that is pretty much the biggest I can get at the grocery store in Sweden, and you can forget about finding one with the bone in. I've should really make friends with the local butcher.

Pulled it off the smoker at 90C (195F), they were almost falling apart.

Pulled. Franklin's rub was pretty good, a nice alternative to Meathead's rub that I've been using. A little salty on the bark, but that might just be from me over doing it on the rub.

Having my first cookout without the old man, feels weird haha(he's not dead or anything, just that I'm doing it solo). Me, my little lady and my son. Gonna make bratwursts this time, maybe burgers and/or steaks next. Gonna have to look this thread over for ideas and whatnot.

SLV

Tomorrow attempting to make my first real burger. Got two kilos of ground beef ordered at the market. Got worchester sauce. What else do i need to mix in with the beef to get the all american taste ?

CrankyJay

Banned
Tomorrow attempting to make my first real burger. Got two kilos of ground beef ordered at the market. Got worchester sauce. What else do i need to mix in with the beef to get the all american taste ?

Nothing. Just get a meat to fat ratio of 80:20. Form it into a patty (don't over form it) and salt and pepper the outside just before cooking it.

Don't press down on the patties while cooking so you don't lose the juice.

There's not a burger "mix", otherwise it becomes meatloaf.

SLV

Nothing. Just get a meat to fat ratio of 80:20. Form it into a patty (don't over form it) and salt and pepper the outside just before cooking it.

Well all right, i put the cheese on top of the patty like a minute before it is done ? So i dont use the worchester sauce at all ?

ShinAmano

Preach.

Top Bottom