• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
6 hours in

hVhTpH5.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I smoked this yesterday, Bacon-wrapped stuffed chicken thighs

Before -
14281522083_a0fc1a5620_c.jpg

After -
14074709088_a5f3b65cbb_c.jpg

Stuffed with Cheese, spicy pesto, pepperoni, and a jalapeno slice. It was good, not great. I am going to have to add some spices to the mix as well.

About 5 hours total, got a good char initially over wood charcoal(that mexican store stuff) and some smoke, finished in the oven with Stone Ruination IPA and then sauced. Sauce is sweet baby rays because that stuff is awesome and consistently good for me.

VqoSIyc.jpg

I have fresh made potato salad and some other fixins' waiting to be plated up.

wTNT1cX.jpg

I forgot to post a before picture, there were two racks I did one my way and my dad did his the way he does his.

I refuse to comment on his because I love the old man.

MRSA

Banned
Lump and briquette have their uses. For BBQ, I think briquettes are the way to go since it's a slow even burn. Max power though, lump burns hot and fast, perfect for grilling.

CrankyJay

Banned
Hey. Challenge to my BBQ brothers in this thread. I want to see some side dishes! That's right. Show me your slaws, your salads, your beans, everything you like to serve with your BBQ. And I will do the same.

ShinAmano

Hey. Challenge to my BBQ brothers in this thread. I want to see some side dishes! That's right. Show me your slaws, your salads, your beans, everything you like to serve with your BBQ. And I will do the same.

I'll try to take a pic of the Jalapenos I mentioned earlier...they are a staple side at a cookout. :)

MRSA

Banned
Well I done did it, I went to the grocery store to buy more beer and ended up buying a tri-tip. I lifted up the ribs and added the tri-tip to the charcoal rack. Everything should be ready at about the same time I hope.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Brisket is finishing off in the oven, today it's chicken leg quarters and these :

The recipe I found online calls for siracha sauce in place of BBQ, but I tried that and didn't like it. This takes almost 2 slices of bacon per onion ring, I cut off all the excess bacon which was diced, fried, and will be put into the potato salad.

Edwardo

Brisket is finishing off in the oven, today it's chicken leg quarters and these :

The recipe I found online calls for siracha sauce in place of BBQ, but I tried that and didn't like it. This takes almost 2 slices of bacon per onion ring, I cut off all the excess bacon which was diced, fried, and will be put into the potato salad.

Wow that sounds fantastic.

MRSA

Banned
I had to add more fuel to my smoke with Kingsford blue (was using Stubbs before) and it has that smell that reminds me of our get togethers when I was younger. We'll see how it goes because I loved Stubbs.

CrankyJay

Banned
Good morning gents, whats the course of action for today?

About to brine some chicken legs quarters for a few hours.

Then take those out and pat dry and let them air dry in the fridge for while.

Then will coat them in some bacon grease I have sitting in my fridge, and sprinkle on the rub.

Get the smoker as hot as I can get (usually 325-350) for me. Smoke the legs with oak wine barrel staves.

Creole mustard mayo red potato salad with chives from my herb garden.

Cast iron skillet corn bread.

Beer.

MRSA

Banned
I did all my smoking yesterday, today is gonna be grilling day as is traditional for Memorial Day.

Either that or I'm going to Yardhouse with my mates to watch the Heat/Pacer game and watch X-Men afterwards.

ShinAmano

About to brine some chicken legs quarters for a few hours.

Then take those out and pat dry and let them air dry in the fridge for while.

Then will coat them in some bacon grease I have sitting in my fridge, and sprinkle on the rub.

Beer.
I am stealing most of this...I will use thighs and bourbon barrel chips for smoking but I just tossed them in the brine.

Question about coating in bacon grease do you heat it up or just let it go at room temp and smear on?

MRSA

Banned
I am stealing most of this...I will use thighs and bourbon barrel chips for smoking but I just tossed them in the brine.

Question about coating in bacon grease do you heat it up or just let it go at room temp and smear on?

Room temp and smear that sucker on.

Got my brisket going now. It's been steady at about 220-240 from what I can tell. My foil packets with mesquite has been kind of a fail. That's what I get for trying to smoke on a gas grill. The packets either light up or don't smoke. Ive been working it so the meat got some whispy blue love smoke but I don't know how this baby is gonna turn out.

CrankyJay

Banned

Gonna let it warm a bit at room temp so I can smear it like soft butter.

CrankyJay

Banned
I kind of fucked up and got the smoker pegged at 225 when I wanted to blast out the smoker above 300. Afraid dinner will turn out later than sooner. Always tough when you have a crowd.

MRSA

Banned
what grill are you using?

22" Weber OTG in the best copper color, that baffle you see is the smokenator that I recommend if you can afford it. Otherwise you can make due with some fire bricks. The smokenator is overpriced for what it is, but its a great accessory. One thing though, I threw out the water pan and used a bread pan as a water pan that last 2-3hrs.

Bii

Have you not been reading the thread? It's 9.99 for 40 lbs at lowes and home depot

I actually saw your post before I left home. Thanks for the heads up. Got 80 lbs of charcoal from Home Depot for $20. I think I'm good for a while.

Also, I'm a total n00b to barbecuing. Just bought a Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver (not Gold), a chimney starter, some hickory wood chunks, and a 3-pc tool set. I have a Kingsford Grill Surface Thermometer coming in from Amazon and will head out to buy a foil pan for water later today...besides that, I think I'm reading to smoke some ribs this upcoming weekend. Anything else I'm missing besides the ribs (already have seasoning/sauce for the ribs)?

Finished my very first Brisket! (First time smoking anything) I did it in my gas grill for 4 hours and ran out of propane. Then moved it into the oven for another few hours. It was a small 3 pounder but damn it was good.

It was amazing! I learned a lot and will definitely be getting a real smoker now.

My family was in disbelief and of course I was my harshest critic.

I smoked it with mesquite btw.

ShinAmano

I kind of fucked up and got the smoker pegged at 225 when I wanted to blast out the smoker above 300. Afraid dinner will turn out later than sooner. Always tough when you have a crowd.

Yeah I hit 300 and dropped the chicken on...turned out great along with the corn and jalapenos (yeah I made these every day this weekend lol).

CrankyJay

Banned
Funny, I had sweet baby rays and dinosaur BBQ habanero out and no one used any. Chicken was amazing without it. Brined in salt, sugar, apple cider, thyme and rosemary. Rubbed in bacon grease with BBQ rub. Smoked with apple wood chunks.

Creole mustard/mayo red potato salad.

Other family brought a broccoli salad and a pasta salad.

33IkFQ7.jpg

Skillet corn bread turned out real well. This will be my new goto recipe. Got it from food network.

wAnGrgJ.jpg

Hanzou

Funny, I had sweet baby rays and dinosaur BBQ habanero out and no one used any. Chicken was amazing without it. Brined in salt, sugar, apple cider, thyme and rosemary. Rubbed in bacon grease with BBQ rub. Smoked with apple wood chunks.

Creole mustard/mayo red potato salad.

Other family brought a broccoli salad and a pasta salad.

33IkFQ7.jpg

Skillet corn bread turned out real well. This will be my new goto recipe. Got it from food network.

wAnGrgJ.jpg
did you finish it over the grill or anything to get the skin crispy? Sign always comes out rubbery unless I crisp the skin up after.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
22" Weber OTG in the best copper color, that baffle you see is the smokenator that I recommend if you can afford it. Otherwise you can make due with some fire bricks. The smokenator is overpriced for what it is, but its a great accessory. One thing though, I threw out the water pan and used a bread pan as a water pan that last 2-3hrs.

im gonna have to invest in one of those.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Please...I am a big fan of eggivations ;)
see below

Lump and briquette have their uses. For BBQ, I think briquettes are the way to go since it's a slow even burn. Max power though, lump burns hot and fast, perfect for grilling.
Close the vent more? I'm not a fan of not knowing what's in the charcoal, with the better brands of lump, its simply kiln burned wood.

I would have taken you up on this but we had already been to the store for our cook, maybe next time.

Hey GAF, planning on cooking my ribs soon. Has anyone had experience with cooking with apple juice?
Apple juice is great for spritzing or putting in foil with the meat. I use it especially on pork butts.

Good morning gents, whats the course of action for today?
ribs and sausage

Figured since I was taking pictures of the rack for my egg I would show the whole process.

_DSC0994_zpse571666f.jpg

here is the rack I use. Right now its a 2 level rack with an indirect oval stone. I also have a third rack that I can place where the stone is currently and a smaller round stone that would sit beneath the bottom rack. With the three racks I could do 6 whole slabs of baby back ribs. It adds a lot of cooking area on the egg.

Now for the ribs
_DSC0990_zpse51e7a2a.jpg

Membrane off.

_DSC0992_zpsf160562d.jpg

Mustard slather

_DSC0993_zpse5329299.jpg

rub applied

_DSC0995_zpsefbd00f7.jpg

I forget what stage this was, this might have been right after I put the ribs on.

_DSC0997_zps482637b4.jpg

After I took them out of foil that had butter, brown sugar and honey in it.
Also put on the Italian sausage and queso poblano chicken sausage.

_DSC0999_zpseac0f5ca.jpg

Finished product

_DSC0998_zps2c24b75b.jpg

Oh and it was raining the whole day, but in particular the last hour and half to two hours looked like that. Egg powered through it no problem, too much so as she was running hot today. Which was particularly odd because last week when I did my brisket the temp was starting to climb on me because it was hot and sunny, I put the egg in the shade and it kept the 225 temp the whole time. So at one point I actually pulled it out into the rain(when it was a light rain) to help cool it off faster.

Overall the ribs were pretty good. I did them 3 2 1 method at 225, I may try them at 325 again next time with shorter overall cook time. This was a momentous occasion though, it was the first time in many months that I have smoked something for dinner for that night. My pregnant wife couldn't stand the smell early in the pregnancy, but I got the green light on Friday.

MRSA

Banned
Close the vent more? I'm not a fan of not knowing what's in the charcoal, with the better brands of lump, its simply kiln burned wood.

You have a kamado grill that's intended for basically firewood, so lump is your best bet.

I don't care really as to what I use for heat, again its heat, I go for a cheap reliable source. Kingsford blue when on sale is the best bang for the buck.

I like lump for fast and hot, but no two bags of lump are the same as far as consistency go. You can get a bag of Royal Oak with a lot of large chunks of lump and then open the next bag to only get medium to small chunks and lots of useless dust. With briquettes you get the same with every bag. Ash isn't a big deal for the kettle style as they were made with ash in mind

Top Bottom