• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

This is the best place to ask this question. Who sells the best premade barbecue ribs online? I need something I can open out of the package and toss in the microwave or oven and eat instantly.

I'm looking for something like this.

All of that stuff is going to taste like sodium laden processed meat covered in ounces and ounces of sugar sauce. Best bet is to find a BBQ local to you and order a bunch then freeze whatever you don't use. To reheat them just drop them in a pot of warm water (still in the bag) and bring them back up to temp.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
PSA for Houston GAF, HEB has pork shoulder on sale for 97 cents per pound. I picked up one for BBQ and one to grind up.

andylsun

Picked up our first smoker Friday!

Colleague at work upgraded to a BGE and said if you come and get it you can have it.

q4xecpwl.jpg

Spent 90 minutes with a pressure washer cleaning it inside and out.

MshArNcl.jpg

Going to start with some chicken and sausage as a test run. Got some apple wood and mesquite.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Picked up our first smoker Friday!

Colleague at work upgraded to a BGE and said if you come and get it you can have it.

q4xecpwl.jpg

Spent 90 minutes with a pressure washer cleaning it inside and out.

MshArNcl.jpg

Going to start with some chicken and sausage as a test run. Got some apple wood and mesquite.
First of all congrats. Secondly, he *upgraded* to a BGE from that? Did he buy the XXL Egg or something?

PSA for Houston GAF, HEB has pork shoulder on sale for 97 cents per pound. I picked up one for BBQ and one to grind up.
Yup, great deal on some cheap ass (yes I know its actual the shoulder).

Picked one up before a road trip last weekend, despite freezing it, it turned out great.

Made it Friday. Here is 1 to 2 hours in

5 to 6 hours in before i put it in foil

It was so tender it broke in half at the bone despite picking it up with two hands.

andylsun

Success! Cooked 4 chicken Brests and sausage as a try out. I think I put too much water in the tray as it didn't get above 170F in the cooking chamber and the chicken stuck at 140F. Once I ripped out most of the water and added more chips, the temp went up to 200F and it got pretty smokey! Chicken hit 165F.

I've seen reviews on the Costo site for this particular model of smoker that say much less water and more chips as the burner isn't very powerful. Looking forward to cooking more on it next weekend.

n64coder

Hi All,
Now that it's warmer, I'm doing more grilling again. I have a Weber Genesis 1300 that is 16 years old and still in very good shape. Last year, I had a plumber add a gas line outside to hook up the grill. Since the grill is propane, I need to convert it to natural gas. I have my eyes on this grill I saw on CL for $50. It looks to be in good shape other than the frame needs replacement. I'm hoping that I can harvest the manifold and hose for my grill. Buying those new will set me back $120.

I would like to try to get into wood/charcoal cooking. I heard people suggest getting a Kamado style grill. Anyone with experience with one of those? Or maybe a smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain.

andycapps

Hi All,
Now that it's warmer, I'm doing more grilling again. I have a Weber Genesis 1300 that is 16 years old and still in very good shape. Last year, I had a plumber add a gas line outside to hook up the grill. Since the grill is propane, I need to convert it to natural gas. I have my eyes on this grill I saw on CL for $50. It looks to be in good shape other than the frame needs replacement. I'm hoping that I can harvest the manifold and hose for my grill. Buying those new will set me back $120.

I would like to try to get into wood/charcoal cooking. I heard people suggest getting a Kamado style grill. Anyone with experience with one of those? Or maybe a smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain.

The Smokey Mountain is very popular, I have one and love it. No experience with the Komado style but I've heard good things.

Chuckie

So BBQ Gaf, my brother and I finally tried pulled pork (a while ago)
As a Dutchie I had no experience whatsoever with slow BBQ, however it worked out mighty fine!
So here some pictures.

vaWLL7f.jpg

The meat

LHrpD1a.jpg

The meat with a Carolina rub

c0hBkNH.jpg

First time when we opened the barbeque for some extra coal

hcaGxhL.jpg

Done! Too bad the crust broke a bit otherwise it would have looked perfect

ljxnlYD.jpg

On some bread with hotsauce. After 10 hours finally ready haha.

It tasted great and even better the day after!
Going to do it again this summer.

andycapps

So BBQ Gaf, my brother and I finally tried pulled pork (a while ago)
As a Dutchie I had no experience whatsoever with slow BBQ, however it worked out mighty fine!
So here some pictures.

vaWLL7f.jpg

The meat

LHrpD1a.jpg

The meat with a Carolina rub

c0hBkNH.jpg

First time when we opened the barbeque for some extra coal

hcaGxhL.jpg

Done! Too bad the crust broke a bit otherwise it would have looked perfect

ljxnlYD.jpg

On some bread with hotsauce. After 10 hours finally ready haha.

It tasted great and even better the day after!
Going to do it again this summer.

Looks pretty good! Always fun to see a non-American making BBQ for the first time. It's life changing.

ag-my001

I just bought a Kamado grill over the weekend, the Vision Classic B. It does an excellent job retaining juice in the meat and using small amounts of fuel. I'm still working on temp control: it's very easy to overshoot and takes forever to cool. Made two racks of ribs yesterday and while the probe said 165, the meat looked more than that. Even so, very juicy, very tasty, and now the next few meals are done.

How come I only just found BBQ-Gaf ;o

Been actively smoking meat since a year orso. Am a dutchy so smoking meat is not a big thing (yet). I've been smoking old school I guess, just a barrel and oak or fruit wood but damn, its delicious!

Some creations

Brisket:

Pork Belly
DSC_4209.jpg

Pulled Pork / Boston Butt
IMG_2309.jpg

Fresh Chicken?
4.jpg

Can't wait to read through the entire thread and hopefully learn a thing or 2 from you guys

That's neat. I overlooked the small amount of smoke coming out of the unit.

Is it your own design or did you follow some instructions somewhere?

Its something My dad and I made just to see if we'd be into this smoking meat business. Its sort of a ugly drum smoker (if you are looking to build a proper one http://m.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Ugly-Drum-Smoker-UDS/ ) but it uses normal logs instead of coal. It turns out we got hooked so were planning on building a brick off set. Ill post some pics when its done for sure.

ag-my001

So sad that this topic has gone a month without any posts. Let's fix that with some...

BEEF BACK RIBS!

Got these from a local butcher shop that was kind enough to leave some extra meat on the bones. For those unfamiliar, the back rib is the bone you would normally find in a bone-in ribeye steak. Very tasty meat, but butchers will normally cut right down to the bone, as the ribeye will go for 2-3x the price of the rib.

The seasoning was a simple Texas-style dry rub, 50% kosher salt and 50% black pepper. I used my kamado grill to cook for 5 hours at 250 F, then wrapped and rested for a half hour. Here are the shots:

Start of the cook -
20150623_111508_zpslrmpcevl.jpg

After resting -
20150623_173506_zpse5ismitu.jpg

Profile view -
20150623_173838_zpsriqqhnkj.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
That looks great AG. I love love love beef ribs. For some reason they are very hard to find here in Southwest Ohio. I've never understood that. I realize they cost more than pork ribs and can be harder to use (if you don't know what you are doing). I really need to find myself a good butcher.

It's barely even breakfast food time and now I've got Beef ribs on the brain. So good.

Do you have to use a smoker for it to be considered "BBQ" or can I "smoke" meat in a charcoal grill?

Dumb question, I know, but I am only now just getting into the grilling game. Got myself a new kettle grill and starting to learn the particulars like using hardwood charcoal and wood chips, indirect vs. direct heat etc.

otapnam

Do you have to use a smoker for it to be considered "BBQ" or can I "smoke" meat in a charcoal grill?

Dumb question, I know, but I am only now just getting into the grilling game. Got myself a new kettle grill and starting to learn the particulars like using hardwood charcoal and wood chips, indirect vs. direct heat etc.

You can try smoking in it with various methods. I have a smokenator for my performer that worked ok. Youre going to just have to do more work maintaining fuel and what not.

What grill do u have?

You can use a charcoal grill to smoke, Amazing ribs has a good write up on it right here.

Pork was $0.99/lb at Krogers the other week, picked up 30 lbs and brisket was only $1.99/lb so I picked up a slab of that, too. All ready for some July 4th smoking.

Irobot82

I use a Weber One Touch Kettle grill to smoke and it works fantastic!

forms

I need to enter this thread more often. Last bbq was done on the wsm, two 5 pound pieces of pork that made awesome non-wrapped pulled pork. Injected them with some lightly salted apple juice/water/bbq sauce mix before.

I love meat.

You can try smoking in it with various methods. I have a smokenator for my performer that worked ok. Youre going to just have to do more work maintaining fuel and what not.

What grill do u have?
Weber one touch kettle 18"

You can use a charcoal grill to smoke, Amazing ribs has a good write up on it right here.
Thanks! Totally doing this soon.

I use a Weber One Touch Kettle grill to smoke and it works fantastic!
excellent

BumRush

So sad that this topic has gone a month without any posts. Let's fix that with some...

BEEF BACK RIBS!

Got these from a local butcher shop that was kind enough to leave some extra meat on the bones. For those unfamiliar, the back rib is the bone you would normally find in a bone-in ribeye steak. Very tasty meat, but butchers will normally cut right down to the bone, as the ribeye will go for 2-3x the price of the rib.

The seasoning was a simple Texas-style dry rub, 50% kosher salt and 50% black pepper. I used my kamado grill to cook for 5 hours at 250 F, then wrapped and rested for a half hour. Here are the shots:

Start of the cook -
20150623_111508_zpslrmpcevl.jpg

After resting -
20150623_173506_zpse5ismitu.jpg

Profile view -
20150623_173838_zpsriqqhnkj.jpg

This would make me hungry no matter what time of day or night I look at it. Very nice. VERY NICE.

Irobot82

Weber one touch kettle 18"

Thanks! Totally doing this soon.

excellent

That is a great article. A lot of times I use the snake method and a thing called the vortex. It works really well. One of these days I'll drop some bucks on the smokenator with the double rack. I've smoked ribs, boston butts and some other things. Also that vortex is awesome at indirect cooking chicken wings so you can grill them and still have crispy skin!

otapnam

That is a great article. A lot of times I use the snake method and a thing called the vortex. It works really well. One of these days I'll drop some bucks on the smokenator with the double rack. I've smoked ribs, boston butts and some other things. Also that vortex is awesome at indirect cooking chicken wings so you can grill them and still have crispy skin!

Should consider putting that 60$ for the smokenator towards a WSM. I ended up getting a 18" wsm and really like it. Its just made for the job

NysGAF

I know it's early, but on Father's Day I got approval from the family to host Thanksgiving and smoke a turkey. I want to practice one this summer if anyone has a good article or recipe for me to follow. I have a Traeger 'Lil Tex I think it's called.

I've been doing a lot of smoking using a Smokenator and my 22" Weber, it works quite well for doing a few racks of ribs or a pork shoulder. This topic is awesome, I'm glad I discovered it! Where do you guys get wood for your smokers? I've been using different wood chips from the hardware store, but I would really like to use larger chunks, since the chips burn so quickly.

I've wanted to try Kamodo grilling and didn't want to shell out for an Egg (haha) so I bought a Char Griller Akorn and have been pretty happy so far. It hold temperatures really well and is airtight enough that I can reuse the charcoal after I grill some steaks or whatever, just close the dampers and everything goes out.

Can't wait to smoke some stuff on it this weekend.

I've been doing a lot of smoking using a Smokenator and my 22" Weber, it works quite well for doing a few racks of ribs or a pork shoulder. This topic is awesome, I'm glad I discovered it! Where do you guys get wood for your smokers? I've been using different wood chips from the hardware store, but I would really like to use larger chunks, since the chips burn so quickly.

I buy chunks locally from someone I found on craigslist. He sells 50lb bags for $15. I've gotten post and red oak from him. Looking to get some more soon, along with some Hickory and Pecan too.

So after a deal at the store I bought and cooked my first rack of spare ribs. I was REALLY happy with how they turned out but I think I need advice.

I got a good rub and got them all set up. After that I was looking at cooking them on a gas grill since I don't have a smoker. I was surprised by how it seems to be more complicated on a grill then just 'cook' so I opted for the over.

My big issue was when I had cooked them for a bit and was ready to sauce them. Brushing on the sauce started to take the rub off. I was hoping it would be more cooked-on but then again I don't know any better.

I also didn't quite get the sauce glaze I was hoping for, which I think I would get on the grill.

I need some advice for cooking these on a gas grill and if anyone knows, how can I get the rub to stay a bit tougher on the ribs when I sauce them.

Other than that I loved how they turned out but was maybe looking for more of a grill texture.

I took some Sweet and Smokey Stubs sauce (it was ok on it's own) and cooked about a cup and a half with 2tbls of chilli sauce, 2 tbls of vinegar and about a half a white onion (super minced). It was great.

andycapps

I use apple wood chunks for pork, and mesquite wood for brisket and got both bags at Menards I think? It might have even been Kroger as I was browsing one day and saw them there.

otapnam

So after a deal at the store I bought and cooked my first rack of spare ribs. I was REALLY happy with how they turned out but I think I need advice.

I got a good rub and got them all set up. After that I was looking at cooking them on a gas grill since I don't have a smoker. I was surprised by how it seems to be more complicated on a grill then just 'cook' so I opted for the over.

My big issue was when I had cooked them for a bit and was ready to sauce them. Brushing on the sauce started to take the rub off. I was hoping it would be more cooked-on but then again I don't know any better.

I also didn't quite get the sauce glaze I was hoping for, which I think I would get on the grill.

I need some advice for cooking these on a gas grill and if anyone knows, how can I get the rub to stay a bit tougher on the ribs when I sauce them.

Other than that I loved how they turned out but was maybe looking for more of a grill texture.

I took some Sweet and Smokey Stubs sauce (it was ok on it's own) and cooked about a cup and a half with 2tbls of chilli sauce, 2 tbls of vinegar and about a half a white onion (super minced). It was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSFdddaRnk ;)

I bought a few weeks ago a smoker and damn has it been amazing.

DCfTU1S.jpg

jq1fXQc.jpg

F4RgY1p.jpg

PmMfKaS.jpg

Next time I'll try to do a smoked turkey breast, and perhaps some sausages.

MRSA

Banned
I bought a few weeks ago a smoker and damn has it been amazing.

Next time I'll try to do a smoked turkey breast, and perhaps some sausages.

Did you use any wood in that?

Loaded up on another 120lbs of KBB, will wait for the 4th of July sale for another 80lbs.

EDIT: If you want a smokenator I might get rid of mine.

SUBSCRIBED. So happy I found this thread! I will be getting/making a proper smoker as soon as I can afford it, but in the interim I use my Weber Genesis with a smoker box.

It takes a lot of attention but after some trial and error I have started killin' it in the brisket and rib game. Still it would be nice to not have to be so damn on top of it as well as have some space to do more.

Recently I have been smoking chickens. Far less time than a brisket and a real crowd pleaser.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SUBSCRIBED. So happy I found this thread! I will be getting/making a proper smoker as soon as I can afford it, but in the interim I use my Weber Genesis with a smoker box.

It takes a lot of attention but after some trial and error I have started killin' it in the brisket and rib game. Still it would be nice to not have to be so damn on top of it as well as have some space to do more.

Recently I have been smoking chickens. Far less time than a brisket and a real crowd pleaser.

Welcome to the thread! That is what it is all about, trial and error. The only way to learn.

I know we have some fans of Stubb's here so this may be of interest -

Stubb's Sells to McCormick

McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE: MKC), a global leader in flavor, today announced that it has signed an agreement to acquire 100% of the shares of One World Foods, Inc., seller of Stubb's barbeque sauces ("Stubb's"), a privately held company located in Austin, Texas.

Great for the Stubblefield family, but I hope not too many changes will come about. I would assume better distribution across the country but hopefully that is it.

I buy chunks locally from someone I found on craigslist. He sells 50lb bags for $15. I've gotten post and red oak from him. Looking to get some more soon, along with some Hickory and Pecan too.

I use apple wood chunks for pork, and mesquite wood for brisket and got both bags at Menards I think? It might have even been Kroger as I was browsing one day and saw them there.
Thanks guys. I'm looking around on craigslist in my area for a good deal, but in the mean time I found the chunks at my local Menards! Got some apple and hickory, planning to do a pork shoulder over the 4th of July weekend. I want to try brisket, but I've heard it's difficult to get just right, so I'd rather wait until there aren't a bunch of people coming over.

andycapps

Thanks guys. I'm looking around on craigslist in my area for a good deal, but in the mean time I found the chunks at my local Menards! Got some apple and hickory, planning to do a pork shoulder over the 4th of July weekend. I want to try brisket, but I've heard it's difficult to get just right, so I'd rather wait until there aren't a bunch of people coming over.

You're welcome. I was scared of doing brisket at first, and I'd still recommend doing pork for a while until you get the hang of it, but really brisket is about the same, it just takes longer to cook.

Top Bottom