• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

mm04

Cool.

I've just realised that the door I'll be using opens the wrong way which means I either risk the door flying open and the cable taking me out, or I'll be exercising out in the hall (and getting cold). Tempted to put catches on the door frame to catch it if it opens when it's in use. :D

Sit on your butt with your feet against the door. Lock the door too, if you can.

My doors are made of cardboard (seriously, the middle is cardboard, the outside is just a panel). I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up bending the top of the door in half. :D

Wrekt

I did X2 Shoulders + Arms for the first time. Jesus christ that was the best workout I've ever had. You repeat the same 7 moves 3 times each, but they are all interesting, effective moves. I also finally feel like I made good use of my stability ball, instead of just doing less effective pushups with it.

I've replaced ARX2 with this. But if you watch this, do yourself a favor and mute it instantly. ARX2 caused me a tremendous amount of lower back pain. This routine leaves my back feeling better and my core feels like it is getting more out of the exercise as well. You'll have to modify the reps as the video is just a demo, but give it a try if ARX2 isn't for you.

I got P90X! I just did the first day, well, did as much as I could while learning the moves and listening to my body

Loved the chest workouts, couldn't really do pull-ups in general, did much better with the reverse ones. The diamond and divebomber push-ups = lol

It was a learning experience indeed (and I am sure it will continue to be so) because I thought I was feeling fine then all of the sudden I felt a bit nauseated. I took breaks accordingly then was glad to hear Tony said he was feeling it too by the end

And the AB workouts. I probably spent more time saying "wat" to myself than actually managed to do the workouts. Love the moves though

And the dieting has been a real challenge already in figuring out how to eat, what to eat, and when to eat so I have enough energy to last.

Can't wait to feel my body tomorrow morning

A lot of people feel nausea off Chest & Back. I didn't find it a particularly hard workout but still often felt sick. It's because of the constant up and down motions rushing blood to your head making you feel dizzy.

No other workout made me feel that way. Plyo used to make me cry inside but never made me feel sick.

Yoga X2 today then phase 1 is complete. Gonna extend phase 2 to 4 or 5 weeks I think.

Day 2 done with Plyo, first time ever. Thank god I did P90 before I tried this, otherwise I wouldn't be alive right now.

I was like "hey this is not as hard and it's going kind of quick..." then I looked only 15 minutes had passed. Haha

I coughed up the dough and bough the plyo mat. Maybe it's still good to talk to my neighbor, but I think it really absorbed the shock and sound well.

Love the last workouts with the sports! Being a former athlete myself those were the most fun and energized one

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I did X2 Shoulders + Arms for the first time. Jesus christ that was the best workout I've ever had. You repeat the same 7 moves 3 times each, but they are all interesting, effective moves. I also finally feel like I made good use of my stability ball, instead of just doing less effective pushups with it.

I've replaced ARX2 with this. But if you watch this, do yourself a favor and mute it instantly. ARX2 caused me a tremendous amount of lower back pain. This routine leaves my back feeling better and my core feels like it is getting more out of the exercise as well. You'll have to modify the reps as the video is just a demo, but give it a try if ARX2 isn't for you.

This looks intriguing. I'm giong to definitely add it to my routine now. Thanks a ton!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

ahaha, I've actually been following this video for the past couple weeks. Definitely works.

btw, what's the most recommended pull-up bar?

Thinking about getting this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V5JQ2O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thoughts?

Man.. so I went out on the piss last night, so it's time to lay off the alcohol for a month now. So glad it's recovery week and Yoga.
Definitely sticking with this though. Managed to make it part of my routine and I'm super excited to see how I will look in 3 months time or so. I promised a friend I'm gonna try to go as Khal Drogo over Halloween, so I would love to get nice and bulky by then. I love high aspirations :D

Not as many lol moments in P90X2 so far. No Pterodactyl? I miss it. The only line thats made me cry is "Fire in the buttocks" in Plyocide.

Phase 1 is now complete. Just the recovery week to go. Is anyone on Phase 2 yet? Whats it like?

My resistance bands arrived today (the bodylastics ones). First thing I saw when I opened the box was a large instruction sheet showing how to do some of the P90X exercises. At the top of the sheet was the opening paragraph which states "We know that many of you are following the p90x program..."

Thought it was nice touch given they sell their own routines / DVDs.

carlo6529

Any tips for pull ups?

I feel and believe I am abnormally weak when it comes to them. I think its my forearms that need more strength. Im in my first recovery week and i stll cant do a single proper pull up. I don't want to switch to bands but I will if its really recommended.

I'm actually thinking of doing some assisted pull up's everyday and not just on back workouts in hopes of gaining some strength and catching up to where I think I should be.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Any tips for pull ups?

I feel and believe I am abnormally weak when it comes to them. I think its my forearms that need more strength. Im in my first recovery week and i stll cant do a single proper pull up. I don't want to switch to bands but I will if its really recommended.

I'm actually thinking of doing some assisted pull up's everyday and not just on back workouts in hopes of gaining some strength and catching up to where I think I should be.

Like you said, do assisted. Just do as many as you can. It's all about compounding the workouts. Eventually you'll be able to do unassisted pull ups. When I started, I could only do like 2. I'm doing 8-9 now easily, even well into the workouts. Feels good, man.

Every day might not be the best idea. You need to give your muscles at least a little time to heal between workouts. That why generally most routines give at least a day off (sometimes two) before working the same muscle groups again.

Man, my whole body is sore as fuck after week 1 of P90X. I can barely lift my legs.

Is it OK if I skip the cardio discs and do HIIT instead on those days? I don't need to lose weight - just fat. I'm 6'1 160 lbs. and am probably just a bit underweight for my height but definitely not overweight. I'd like to lose the double chin that I've got going on and lose some belly flab.

So my plan is to stick with the strength training/yoga and do elliptical HIIT instead of plyo/kenpo, etc.

How should I be consuming protein? Before a workout? After? How much?

Those are the only questions I can think of at the moment. I'd appreciate any advice/tips. Thanks.

You definitely need protein immediately after the workout. Get some high-quality whey (my favorite is Optimum Nutrition) and mix it up when you're done. You can mix it with water or milk, but I definitely recommend milk because it tastes better and gives you even more protein.

That will give you between 30-40 grams of protein right after your workout.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
You definitely need protein immediately after the workout. Get some high-quality whey (my favorite is Optimum Nutrition) and mix it up when you're done. You can mix it with water or milk, but I definitely recommend milk because it tastes better and gives you even more protein.

This is the same thing I do. I use the skim Lactaid since regular milk doesn't really sit too well with me anymore and it tastes great. Also, if you go this route, definitely get a blender bottle. It'll mix everything up much better (and it'll taste like a shake).

I'm considering trying Syntha-6 whey next, even though I still have like 3 pounds of my ON jug left. Someone mentioned the chocolate peanut butter a few pages back (which sounds amazing), and it's like $9 cheaper on Amazon for a 5 pounder.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
hey p90-GAF i have been on P90x for 3 weeks but have no protein powder or bars at all. please recommend a good powder and bar that provides a lot of protein.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
hey p90-GAF i have been on P90x for 3 weeks but have no protein powder or bars at all. please recommend a good powder and bar that provides a lot of protein.
For powder, read the last two posts. For bars, either Clif Builder's bars (if you want all natural ingredients), or Pure Protein bars.

I appreciate the advice!

Is it OK if I skip the cardio discs and do HIIT instead on those days? I don't need to lose weight - just fat. I'm 6'1 160 lbs. and am probably just a bit underweight for my height but definitely not overweight. I'd like to lose the double chin that I've got going on and lose some belly flab.

So my plan is to stick with the strength training/yoga and do elliptical HIIT instead of plyo/kenpo, etc.
Can anybody comment on this?

Wouldn't it make more sense to drop it if you find yourself losing too much weight (which to be honest doesn't look too likely if your nutrition is right), rather than doing it that way before you see it happening?

GCNemesis

I'm considering trying Syntha-6 whey next, even though I still have like 3 pounds of my ON jug left. Someone mentioned the chocolate peanut butter a few pages back (which sounds amazing), and it's like $9 cheaper on Amazon for a 5 pounder.

I don't know if that was me who mentioned it, but if not, I second that recommendation. Perhaps not the most protein content (22g per scoop) as compared to others, but it's the best tasting protein I've had (with water or milk). It should be noted that it has a slightly higher level of saturated fat (2g, 10% daily rec.) and cholesterol (60 mg, 20% daily rec.)

Also, a BlenderBall/gravy mixer/actual blender is suggested as it makes any protein shake thicker and more like a milkshake.

In regards to the flavors of Syntha-6, I have had Cookies & Cream (not heavy, has chunks of "cookies" in it) and Chocolate Peanut Butter (heavier, more dessert like) and both are fantastic. I've heard that Strawberry is supreme, if you enjoy Strawberry flavor.

If anyone is interested in Chocolate Peanut Butter, you can do a Subscribe & Save option (and can cancel any time) on Amazon for a 5lb tub for $37 shipped: Syntha-6 Chocolate Peanut Butter 5 LB.

Man, my whole body is sore as fuck after week 1 of P90X. I can barely lift my legs.

Those are the only questions I can think of at the moment. I'd appreciate any advice/tips. Thanks.

It is completely acceptable to do HIIT on P90X cardio days. Those people, including myself, that have done a P90X/Insanity hybrid routine can attest to this; however, with the increased intensity in your cardio exercises, you become more susceptible to injury so be careful. I tweaked my knee during HIIT, so I've gone back to a straight P90X2 routine. Just find what works for you!

In regards to the consuming protein pre/post workout, it just depends on your preference. Some swear by pre-workout and others, post.

Personally, I have it after my workout. It's important to note that most protein shakes do not contain the optimal carb/protein ratio (4:1) for a post-workout drink. With that said, I usually have a cup of Chocolate Silk Milk or Chocolate Milk, followed by a protein shake.

During the workout, I find it's good to have motivation to work through it in order to be "rewarded" and the shake that I drink (Chocolate Peanut Butter Syntha-6) is quite heavy, so if I took it before, I'd be quite sluggish. Again, it's completely up to you and every body is different, so just try things out and find what works best for you!

Just wanted to update cause I'm happy with the results:

Started: 190 lbs
End of Week 1: 188 lbs
End of Week 2: 186 lbs

Starting Week 3 of Phase 1 today, pretty pysched with the progress I've made so far in just 2 weeks.

I don't know if that was me who mentioned it, but if not, I second that recommendation. Perhaps not the most protein content (22g per scoop) as compared to others, but it's the best tasting protein I've had (with water or milk). It should be noted that it has a slightly higher level of saturated fat (2g, 10% daily rec.) and cholesterol (60 mg, 20% daily rec.)

Also, a BlenderBall/gravy mixer/actual blender is suggested as it makes any protein shake thicker and more like a milkshake.

In regards to the flavors of Syntha-6, I have had Cookies & Cream (not heavy, has chunks of "cookies" in it) and Chocolate Peanut Butter (heavier, more dessert like) and both are fantastic. I've heard that Strawberry is supreme, if you enjoy Strawberry flavor.

If anyone is interested in Chocolate Peanut Butter, you can do a Subscribe & Save option (and can cancel any time) on Amazon for a 5lb tub for $37 shipped: Syntha-6 Chocolate Peanut Butter 5 LB.

It is completely acceptable to do HIIT on P90X cardio days. Those people, including myself, that have done a P90X/Insanity hybrid routine can attest to this; however, with the increased intensity in your cardio exercises, you become more susceptible to injury so be careful. I tweaked my knee during HIIT, so I've gone back to a straight P90X2 routine. Just find what works for you!

In regards to the consuming protein pre/post workout, it just depends on your preference. Some swear by pre-workout and others, post.

Personally, I have it after my workout. It's important to note that most protein shakes do not contain the optimal carb/protein ratio (4:1) for a post-workout drink. With that said, I usually have a cup of Chocolate Silk Milk or Chocolate Milk, followed by a protein shake.

During the workout, I find it's good to have motivation to work through it in order to be "rewarded" and the shake that I drink (Chocolate Peanut Butter Syntha-6) is quite heavy, so if I took it before, I'd be quite sluggish. Again, it's completely up to you and every body is different, so just try things out and find what works best for you!

Help please, still trying to learn and tweak my diet according to the plan (day 5). I have the Syntha protein powder as well thanks to a gaffers suggestion and I put it with my milk as my recovery drink after without. Now, that being said, can't that count as a protein shake as well? I'm asking because if it does, then can I have more than one drink per day and would I log it under the protein portion or the snack portion?

Hope I'm not too confusing

man of science

Neo Member
Are these protein powders generally a no-no for someone doing very low carbs?

How is it any different from having a protein heavy meal after a workout?

GCNemesis

Help please, still trying to learn and tweak my diet according to the plan (day 5). I have the Syntha protein powder as well thanks to a gaffers suggestion and I put it with my milk as my recovery drink after without. Now, that being said, can't that count as a protein shake as well? I'm asking because if it does, then can I have more than one drink per day and would I log it under the protein portion or the snack portion?

Hope I'm not too confusing

Regarding counting an after-workout recovery drink as a protein shake, absolutely. I don't follow a particular meal plan, I just track my caloric intake, so if I had to guess whether you should log the drink as a protein or snack portion, I would probably lean towards marking under the protein section. You could also mark it as a snack, I'm not sure of the restrictions that meal plan has in terms of how many protein and snack portions you are allowed, but there are a number of foods out there that you can snack on that have protein, so I believe either category works. Also, I have two protein shakes a day, but it's up to you in terms of how many you have. I just have two because I notice that the saturated fat and cholesterol is slightly high with the Syntha-6, so I look to other foods to supplement my protein intake throughout the day. Hope this helps.

Are these protein powders generally a no-no for someone doing very low carbs?

How is it any different from having a protein heavy meal after a workout?

I would probably say to find an alternative for your protein needs that has minimal carbs instead of having a shake or two. I only have Syntha-6 protein as a reference, but their carb amount ranges from 13-15g per scoop. So two a day would put those looking to keep below 30g of carbs, nearly at their limit. That's not to say you can't, as the amount is still below 30g, you would just need to decide what works for you. I would use it as a treat/dessert every once in a while to keep my food/drink selection varied.

Here's a couple of differences between a post-protein shake and a protein heavy meal that I can think of. Now this is from a personal standpoint, so your body may react differently than mine, so I would look at this more as an opinion rather than advice. I find shakes are quicker to ingest, generally (not always) less filling, and easier for the body to absorb as compared to solid protein-heavy food. The protein-heavy food generally takes longer to digest and break down, thus giving you a fuller feeling. Whether or not the food digestion takes longer to transition to your body making use of that protein is something someone with a more scientific background could expound upon.

With that said, the optimal recovery drink/meal after a workout contains a carb/protein ratio of 4:1. So I normally have one cup of chocolate soy milk which contains 23g carb/5g protein (roughly 4:1), followed slightly later by a protein shake. I would like to think that it helps my body recover as well as supplying it with necessary protein.

If you prefer a meal afterwards, try to balance your intake closer to that 4:1 ratio or try a glass of chocolate milk with your meal.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Start of Week 4 of P90X2 for me tonight and total I am down 8 pounds. :)

Hope it keeps going. Lost 20 on P90X1 while not watching my eating really. Gained it back when I was unemployed though.

Also, it's damn near 60 degrees here in Iowa, might open my screen door tonight for some fresh air with P90X2. :p

With that said, the optimal recovery drink/meal after a workout contains a carb/protein ratio of 4:1. So I normally have one cup of chocolate soy milk which contains 23g carb/5g protein (roughly 4:1), followed slightly later by a protein shake. I would like to think that it helps my body recover as well as supplying it with necessary protein.

If you prefer a meal afterwards, try to balance your intake closer to that 4:1 ratio or try a glass of chocolate milk with your meal.
Bear with me as I am a but confused. Since I am drinking skim milk + syntha post workout, the carb/protein ratio is way off, with protein being much higher if I remember it correctly

Does that sound right? I'm wondering if I should re-think about it as a recovery drink

GCNemesis

Bear with me as I am a but confused. Since I am drinking skim milk + syntha post workout, the carb/protein ratio is way off, with protein being much higher if I remember it correctly

Does that sound right? I'm wondering if I should re-think about it as a recovery drink

You are correct, the protein shake with skim milk will not hit the suggested 4:1 ratio; however that doesn't mean that you have to go without it. The suggested 4:1 ratio is something that has been discovered to best help replenish your body after a workout, that's not to say a protein shake won't help your body recover because it will, just not "optimally". Many people swear by just having a protein shake after a workout and that works for them. You could try both methods (having something with a 4:1 ratio or having a protein shake) and see what makes you feel the best.

Is 4:1 the new gold standard for recovery drinks? It seems to change all the time.

Last time I did any reading (was a while ago admittedly) most of the debate focused on 2:1 vs 3:1 (which still seems to be where a lot of the big brands have their recovery formulas aimed).

Personally I can't help feeling that precise ratio is somewhat less important than getting something in you pretty quickly after a workout. I wonder how much of it is marketing based.

Just finished doing Ab Ripper X for the third time, still trying to get the rhythm down and learning the forms. However, I am not sure if I am doing it right so I get most burn off my thighs and the exercises feel more to be strength-based, than say, getting sore from doing crunches. There were a couple of exercises that obviously targeted the abs directly, like the side sit-ups or the mason twists, but most of the challenges for me came from the thighs giving out.

Is it because I am in too much pain from the previous workout (say calfs and arms) that it doesn't feel as much painful? Again, I can definitely feel that it's working on something, but for me it's more strength, like being able to do the V-Roll, than say feeling the abs on fire

GCNemesis

Is 4:1 the new gold standard for recovery drinks? It seems to change all the time.

Personally I can't help feeling that precise ratio is somewhat less important than getting something in you pretty quickly after a workout. I wonder how much of it is marketing based.

I agree with you, the most important aspect is to get some sort of recovery drink in you after a workout. The ratios have changed in the past and I'm sure will continue to change in the future.

Just finished doing Ab Ripper X for the third time, still trying to get the rhythm down and learning the forms. However, I am not sure if I am doing it right so I get most burn off my thighs and the exercises feel more to be strength-based, than say, getting sore from doing crunches. There were a couple of exercises that obviously targeted the abs directly, like the side sit-ups or the mason twists, but most of the challenges for me came from the thighs giving out.

Is it because I am in too much pain from the previous workout (say calfs and arms) that it doesn't feel as much painful? Again, I can definitely feel that it's working on something, but for me it's more strength, like being able to do the V-Roll, than say feeling the abs on fire

You are right in your assumption. The P90X Ab Ripper works not just your ab/core area, but your glutes, quads and IT band as well. This can be especially difficult to do following a routine like Legs & Back. I hated the beginning of the Ab Ripper, but on the flip side, it's helped me in doing squats and refining my balance.

People in this thread (or maybe it was the fitness thread) have recommended an alternative to the Ab Ripper (a YouTube video I believe) that works well and lessens any lower back pain you may experience during Ab Ripper.

If that's not something you're interested in, I would look at doing the Ab Ripper first, before your main P90X workout when you're fresh. If you were to just push through it as is, the soreness is normal and as you get further into the program, the soreness will reduce as you get stronger. I couldn't do the Ab Ripper all the way through the first couple of times and needed to modify a lot of the exercises, but with time, it got better!

mitheor

Hi guys,

noob here with P90X. Today is my third day (probably AB Ripper X). Almost dead today but i´ll keep on it for sure.

Now, about nutrition and Syntha 6, my weight is ok (nor fat or thin), but with a beer belly that i´d like to reduce before starting with the muscle definition.

It this phase, should i take Syntha 6 once a day for example? I thought about doing that in a shake with milk and fruit, but i´m not sure if that´s ok during this stage of loosing my beer belly or could it be detrimental.

Any help gaf?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
back into it, unsure about what to do about post workout protein though, being that I

finish work at 5.30, earliest I can get to workout is 6.30, finish 7.30pm

should i then have a protein shake? because I still gotta eat dinner after that.

or skip the protein drink altogether and just eat dinner and try and make it super protein-y?

@GCNemesis Thanks so much for your in-depth explanation, I appreciate it.

I don't have a pull-up bar and unfortunately I don't have a way to hook my bands to the ceiling so what I do is sit back as far as I can from my TV and wrap my band around the TV stand peg and then do the back exercises this way. Is this bad form, am I unknowingly working the wrong muscles or should I be OK? I know this is probably a stupid question but I figure any back exercises are better than nothing.

mm04

@GCNemesis Thanks so much for your in-depth explanation, I appreciate it.

I don't have a pull-up bar and unfortunately I don't have a way to hook my bands to the ceiling so what I do is sit back as far as I can from my TV and wrap my band around the TV stand peg and then do the back exercises this way. Is this bad form, am I unknowingly working the wrong muscles or should I be OK? I know this is probably a stupid question but I figure any back exercises are better than nothing.

Use one of these and anchor it to the top of your door.

Top Bottom