• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, anyone else scared as shit that the bands will snap when doing pull-up band exercises and hit you in the face?

I think i need to get some better bands. For X2, there's one pull-up move I use bands for and I am always too scared to pull them back all the way, so I don't get as good of workout on that move as I should. :p

gcubed

So, anyone else scared as shit that the bands will snap when doing pull-up band exercises and hit you in the face?

I think i need to get some better bands. For X2, there's one pull-up move I use bands for and I am always too scared to pull them back all the way, so I don't get as good of workout on that move as I should. :p

I use ripcords and never feel nervous about them (as far as quality goes, they are pretty freaking awesome as far as bands go). In general i'm waiting for the day one breaks, i try not to look up while i'm doing it :)

I use the black sniper band from ripcords for the pull ups and I start pretty far back on them

GCNemesis

Now, about nutrition and Syntha 6, my weight is ok (nor fat or thin), but with a beer belly that i´d like to reduce before starting with the muscle definition.

It this phase, should i take Syntha 6 once a day for example? I thought about doing that in a shake with milk and fruit, but i´m not sure if that´s ok during this stage of loosing my beer belly or could it be detrimental.

When I started this cycle of P90X2, I had a belly, still do as I'm only about two weeks in. With that said, I take Syntha-6 twice a day (once with breakfast, once after my nightly workout) and I have noticed that my belly has reduced.

I don't think you'll need to worry about having 1-2 servings of Syntha-6 initially as you are going through the program because the protein content would still be below the daily recommended amount and your body will be using the protein throughout the day and during your recovery. It's beneficial to supply your body with protein through something as intensive as P90X as opposed to going without it. As you progress, you can look to up your protein intake in order to assist in muscle definition.

back into it, unsure about what to do about post workout protein though, being that I finish work at 5.30, earliest I can get to workout is 6.30, finish 7.30pm

should i then have a protein shake? because I still gotta eat dinner after that.

or skip the protein drink altogether and just eat dinner and try and make it super protein-y?

Based on your schedule, I would have my protein shake after your workout or if dinner is immediately afterwards, with your dinner. In addition to helping your body recover, you will feel fuller and lead to possibly eating less than you would going without it.

@GCNemesis Thanks so much for your in-depth explanation, I appreciate it.

I don't have a pull-up bar and unfortunately I don't have a way to hook my bands to the ceiling so what I do is sit back as far as I can from my TV and wrap my band around the TV stand peg and then do the back exercises this way. Is this bad form, am I unknowingly working the wrong muscles or should I be OK? I know this is probably a stupid question but I figure any back exercises are better than nothing.

No problem, just trying to help!

The method you have described and shown regarding your resistance bands would work for some leg exercises or tricep kickbacks, but for back exercises, that is not ideal. You'd be working your back, namely your lower back, but not where the routines were designed for. Working your back this way may even tweak your lower back, so be careful.

When you got your resistance bands, did it come with a door anchor? If not, I would strongly suggest looking into getting one (Ripcord Door Anchor). This is the method that I use currently. It gives you the needed height in order to replicate the band movements in P90X as well as allowing you to work those specific upper back areas. If you're not aware on how they work, here's a video I found that explains it: Resistance Band Door Anchor How-To. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Too slow on the post! Glad you got the advice!

This happened to me. I was doing these exercises at work during lunch and the anchor came loose and flew back and cracked my hand and knuckles. Fortunate that it didn't hit me in the eye, but boy did that hurt. Scary stuff. Since then, I upgraded my anchor thickness and made sure that the anchor is on the other side of the door. :p

h3ro

Anyone tried Syntha-6 Choc Peanut Butter? Hows it taste?

I'm thinking of signing up for the Subscribe and Save option on Amazon since they're at a good price right now.

Syntha-6 or Opt Nutrition? The ON is a little more expensive right now, but higher rated. What do you guys say?

GCNemesis

Anyone on P90X2 phase 2? Did you do the recovery week before starting?

I think someone on here has made it to Phase 2, but I can't recall who. I too am debating whether to do the recovery week or not. I'm guessing if I feel ok, I'll just go from week 1 into week 2. I've been doing the Recovery & Mobility on each rest day, so I think that would suffice.

Anyone tried Syntha-6 Choc Peanut Butter? Hows it taste?

I'm thinking of signing up for the Subscribe and Save option on Amazon since they're at a good price right now.

Syntha-6 or Opt Nutrition? The ON is a little more expensive right now, but higher rated. What do you guys say?

I can only speak for Syntha-6, but I currently have the Choc Peanut Butter. If you like that flavor, then you'll love this, I do. It's thicker than the other flavor I've tried (Cookies & Cream) and more rich, milkshake-like, and makes me feel fuller. I need to get around to trying it in an actual blender with ice and milk to make it a full-on protein milkshake. Highly recommended and a great deal with the Subscribe & Save.

Poigea

I am about to finish phase 2 and I didn't do the recovery week before starting phase 2. I didn't really feel that I needed it as I didn't think phase 1 was pushing me that hard.

That said I will be taking a recovery week before phase 3. I found phase 2 to be much more intense. I liked it better than phase 1 for sure.

I am about to finish phase 2 and I didn't do the recovery week before starting phase 2. I didn't really feel that I needed it as I didn't think phase 1 was pushing me that hard.

That said I will be taking a recovery week before phase 3. I found phase 2 to be much more intense. I liked it better than phase 1 for sure.

Thanks, I feel the same way about phase 1 right now. Not really pushing me to exhaustion. You're making me nervous for phase 2 :). I'm assuming you did 4 weeks for phase 1?

I3rand0

If you're doing both Recovery and Mobility exercies every week in phase 1 (or even just one of them), you probably do not need a recovery week. I didn't take one and jumped straight into phase 2.

Hairtux

I'm doing a custom recovery week before phase 2. By custom I mean alternating P90x2 Yoga with P90x+ Intervals and maybe a day of Recovery and Mobility somewhere in there. I don't want to lose too much momentum.

lljride

I did the recovery week between phase 1 and phase 2 and it wound up being a waste of time. Unless you're totally spent it should be safe to skip.

Matter of fact, I'm thinking about cutting out the first rest day of the week moving forward, putting it more in line with og P90X going straight from Plyo to Shoulders + Arms with no rest day in between. I finished the first week of Phase 2 yesterday and I think I should be fine.

I skipped it. I'm also extending it to 6 weeks and working in the 2 alternate workouts.

One thing I will say is that it's pretty much mandatory to have at least 2 med balls (but 4 is better) and a stability ball. Otherwise you'd be better off doing regular P90X.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I skipped it. I'm also extending it to 6 weeks and working in the 2 alternate workouts.

One thing I will say is that it's pretty much mandatory to have at least 2 med balls (but 4 is better) and a stability ball. Otherwise you'd be better off doing regular P90X.

I don't find the med balls as necessary (I'm on week 4), but the stability ball helps. Although mine is too small.

For most med ball exercises where you use them as weights I just use a loose weight from my dumbbell set.

Poigea

Thanks, I feel the same way about phase 1 right now. Not really pushing me to exhaustion. You're making me nervous for phase 2 :). I'm assuming you did 4 weeks for phase 1?

I did 3 weeks for phase one and am doing 5 weeks for phase 2. I think it says 3-5 weeks for all of them if I remember right? Phase 2 is more like the first P90X to me, but adding the medicine/stability balls did seem to make things tougher and added more variety. There are even more pull up variations that I liked as well.

Poigea

I don't find the med balls as necessary (I'm on week 4), but the stability ball helps. Although mine is too small.

For most med ball exercises where you use them as weights I just use a loose weight from my dumbbell set.

The medicine balls are used much more for stability exercises in phase 2, I would recommend them. They give alternatives if you don't have them, but it seems like you would lose a lot of the variety in moves.

It's not about using them as weights but rather the pushups you do on them. It's night and day between the regular and alternate exercises there and there's no way you hit the supporting muscles even remotely the same way without them.

As stated above they becomes a pretty big difference maker in phase 2.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's not about using them as weights but rather the pushups you do on them. It's night and day between the regular and alternate exercises there and there's no way you hit the supporting muscles even remotely the same way without them.

As stated above they becomes a pretty big difference maker in phase 2.

The medicine balls are used much more for stability exercises in phase 2, I would recommend them. They give alternatives if you don't have them, but it seems like you would lose a lot of the variety in moves.

Well dammit I'm not made of money. :p

GCNemesis

Appreciate all the Phase 2 discussion, helps set expectations. Looks like I need to invest in some quality medicine balls. The one I have is a squishy 8lb which doesn't hold up for a lot of the current balance exercises, so I'll have to upgrade.

Why 4? I've seen the pushups on all 4 med balls, is that the extent of it or is there additional moves? Would propping my feet on push up bars provide similar action? Just curious as it would save money. Thanks!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone on X2 find some of the stability ball balance exercises pretty damn hard? Not the move itself, but staying on the ball?

Tricep kickbacks were killing me because I couldn't balance on one arm, on the ball. I think a bigger ball may be the key though.

Appreciate all the Phase 2 discussion, helps set expectations. Looks like I need to invest in some quality medicine balls. The one I have is a squishy 8lb which doesn't hold up for a lot of the current balance exercises, so I'll have to upgrade.

Why 4? I've seen the pushups on all 4 med balls, is that the extent of it or is there additional moves? Would propping my feet on push up bars provide similar action? Just curious as it would save money. Thanks!

The pushups on 4 med balls are hard as hell and work the stabilizing muscles probably more than any other exercise (at least through phase 2). There's also another pushup exercise that requires 3 med balls.

I think you could still get a lot out of the exercises with 2 med balls though. It's just not using any that to me is not a great option. In that case I really do think the original p90X would be more effective.

Anyone on X2 find some of the stability ball balance exercises pretty damn hard? Not the move itself, but staying on the ball?

Tricep kickbacks were killing me because I couldn't balance on one arm, on the ball. I think a bigger ball may be the key though.

They are hard but you might want a bigger ball. And make sure your ball is pumped up enough. Mine was a little low at first and the moves were much harder.

I did 3 weeks for phase one and am doing 5 weeks for phase 2. I think it says 3-5 weeks for all of them if I remember right? Phase 2 is more like the first P90X to me, but adding the medicine/stability balls did seem to make things tougher and added more variety. There are even more pull up variations that I liked as well.
Ya 3-5. I don't know why I didn't think of it before but I think I'm going to do 3 weeks on Phase 1 and 5 weeks on Phase 2 now.

I agree with you, the most important aspect is to get some sort of recovery drink in you after a workout. The ratios have changed in the past and I'm sure will continue to change in the future.

You are right in your assumption. The P90X Ab Ripper works not just your ab/core area, but your glutes, quads and IT band as well. This can be especially difficult to do following a routine like Legs & Back. I hated the beginning of the Ab Ripper, but on the flip side, it's helped me in doing squats and refining my balance.

People in this thread (or maybe it was the fitness thread) have recommended an alternative to the Ab Ripper (a YouTube video I believe) that works well and lessens any lower back pain you may experience during Ab Ripper.

If that's not something you're interested in, I would look at doing the Ab Ripper first, before your main P90X workout when you're fresh. If you were to just push through it as is, the soreness is normal and as you get further into the program, the soreness will reduce as you get stronger. I couldn't do the Ab Ripper all the way through the first couple of times and needed to modify a lot of the exercises, but with time, it got better!

Thank you for all of your input, really helpful and less anxiety-inducing. I like the Ab Ripper X and can definitely appreciate its different approach. I was simply worrying that maybe I didn't do it correctly. But I come straight from doing p90 so maybe the transition is easier.

Ahah, my Clif bars are here. Looking forward to trying them.

I really wish they wouldn't add all these vitamins and minerals to stuff though. I can only imagine how many people are getting way too much because of it.

Glancing at that page they don't seem to mention that if they're double dipped or not. As I understand it, double dipping them (latex) makes them significantly stronger.

I notice that one of the reviews says this:

After 6 weeks of use I had to get the red band replaced after seeing several tears appear. Now I'm seeing tears in the black band and one tear in the new red band already. As far as I know I'm not using them inappropriately but I may have to go ahead and return the whole set.

In fact, it seems most of the low scoring reviews mention breakages of some sort. I personally went for a bodylastics set. They seem excellent so far but they may very well suffer a similar fate long term.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
reporting back after doing ARX BEFORE the workout.

It's great! it still made me its bitch, but at the end of the shoulders/arms I didn't want to have a tantrum/cry because ARX was next.

Will continue to do abs pre workout, it's really great, when tony gets all excited cause you're done, you get to be excited as well.

Swig_

Glancing at that page they don't seem to mention that if they're double dipped or not. As I understand it, double dipping them (latex) makes them significantly stronger.

I notice that one of the reviews says this:

In fact, it seems most of the low scoring reviews mention breakages of some sort. I personally went for a bodylastics set. They seem excellent so far but they may very well suffer a similar fate long term.

Thanks, I'll think it over and if I have to, either return them or call and cancel the order before it ships.

Sipowicz

Banned
Ok guys. I'm preparing for P90x. I am 140 pounds. and 5"10. I am pretty slim. My aim is to get bigger, sort out my gut and sort out my chest. Am i right in assuming I should be doing P90x classic? I have taken the fitness test and i have passed it.

I also have questions regarding diet. Given my weight/height/goals how many calories should I be aiming to consume on a daily basis? I'm assuming that i'll be fine as long as I get the required amount of calories and follow the nutrition guide with p90x, is that right?

I also have questions regarding diet. Given my weight/height/goals how many calories should I be aiming to consume on a daily basis? I'm assuming that i'll be fine as long as I get the required amount of calories and follow the nutrition guide with p90x, is that right?
I've looked over the nutrition guide a few times and I see no reason why it wouldn't work if you follow it. The calculations for the baseline calories are a little rough but you're only really looking at a couple of hundred calories either way... not world ending differences.

The nutrition guide puts you at about 2280 calories per day taking into consideration 600 for the workouts. That's level 1 in the guide. You might arguably be level 2, but probably only if you've got a job that involved a lot of physical exertion.

Ok guys. I'm preparing for P90x. I am 140 pounds. and 5"10. I am pretty slim. My aim is to get bigger, sort out my gut and sort out my chest. Am i right in assuming I should be doing P90x classic? I have taken the fitness test and i have passed it.

I will just add that be careful to look at serving side per protein or whatnots. I just started and it was confusing. Still kind of is. For example, roughly 50% of your diet (if you follow the Fat Shredder) will need to come from protein. Well, but you can only get 5 servings (500 calories) from straight protein (the guide has a list of food you can swap). See how that can make things a bit more complicated?

It's not that hard really especially if you just follow the portion guide that it gives your rather than trying to wing it or calculate it out yourself.

You basically have to remember that it's talking about grams of protein / carbs / fat as a percentage of your total intake, rather than percentage of your total calories. You could do that manually, but you don't have to hit 50% exactly (there's really no advantage to it) which is why the portion guide works just fine. I wouldn't pay a great deal of attention to their calories per serving either, as once again, some are a fair bit higher, some are a fair bit lower.

It seems a lot of their intent is that you get a fair chunk of your calories from their bar / drink combo too (~500kcal), not to mention a decent chunk of protein. Same for the snack section, a decent chunk of the things there are high in protein too.

Wrekt

Am I going blind or has the subscribe & save option on whey protein pretty much disappeared from Amazon? I've used a few over the past 2 years and none of them are available for subscription anymore.

It's not that hard really especially if you just follow the portion guide that it gives your rather than trying to wing it or calculate it out yourself.

You basically have to remember that it's talking about grams of protein / carbs / fat as a percentage of your total intake, rather than percentage of your total calories. You could do that manually, but you don't have to hit 50% exactly (there's really no advantage to it) which is why the portion guide works just fine. I wouldn't pay a great deal of attention to their calories per serving either, as once again, some are a fair bit higher, some are a fair bit lower.

It seems a lot of their intent is that you get a fair chunk of your calories from their bar / drink combo too (~500kcal).

You are right in that it doesn't need to be strictly 50%. He just needs to look out for trying to get certain amount of grams in protein within certain calories

Remember earlier in this thread someone was asking about how much gram of protein is translated to a 2400 calories diet? Wasn't 300? That's what I'm saying. We can get protein from all the food, but each one carries it's own protein/calories ratio abd then we want to make sure what we eat follows under the limits per day

But yea if he follows the recipe then all the guess work is out. I can't do it tho lol

Yeah, I still think 300+ is extremely high... but nutrition is a very complicated subject and I still think there's no 100% right answer.

So I'm happy to give it a try, short term at least.

Ha... wow. Yeah, I just looked at the nutrition guide recipes to pick what I want to try and I see what you mean. I've ordered a bunch of high protein / low carb recipe books from Amazon instead.

Looks like I'll spend the next three months cooking. :D

Dizzan

MINI Member
So I bought the dvd's, ripped them to MP4 for my phone/tab and I really want to start this thing. I've altered my diet drastically in the last two weeks and have been jogging a few times. Already dropped 5kg but I guess that is mostly water weight.

Problem is, I literally have no room in my house or a spare door for a pull up bar (probably have just enough room to lay a yoga mat down). I have a gym membership and was wondering if it was worth giving it a shot at the gym. Does anyone else do it at the the gym? I am worried that people will be on the equipment I need right when I need it!

Also, will feel like a bit of a douche watching on my phone and running from apparatus to apparatus at the expected speed. Thoughts?

OG Kush

So I bought the dvd's, ripped them to MP4 for my phone/tab and I really want to start this thing. I've altered my diet drastically in the last two weeks and have been jogging a few times. Already dropped 5kg but I guess that is mostly water weight.

Problem is, I literally have no room in my house or a spare door for a pull up bar (probably have just enough room to lay a yoga mat down). I have a gym membership and was wondering if it was worth giving it a shot at the gym. Does anyone else do it at the the gym? I am worried that people will be on the equipment I need right when I need it!

Also, will feel like a bit of a douche watching on my phone and running from apparatus to apparatus at the expected speed. Thoughts?

If your gym has a hall, then just take some resistance bands and do it in the hall.

You really shouldn't feel like a douche, nor care if anyone sees you that way. If it gets the job done, it gets the job done.

But yeah, other than that... resistance bands. I don't have a door I can use a pull up bar on either so that's the way I've gone. As for someone being on the equipment you need, it's not ideal, but you could always just stay warmed up in the mean time with some light cardio. Go and do jumping jacks at someone until they move. :D

Swig_

I'm 6'2. I did one round of P90X and went from 150 to 170. I ate like a horse, though. I also used muscle milk.

You can eat dirty or clean (dirty is eating almost anything to get your calories.. clean is eating "healthy" foods). It's much easier to eat dirty, but not good for you.

If you're doing the workouts consistently and eating enough calories, you should gain. I was eating about 3500 calories a day. I forget the ratio, but there's some amount of protein per pound of body weight that you should be eating as well.

I'm 6'2. I did one round of P90X and went from 150 to 170. I ate like a horse, though. I also used muscle milk.

You can eat dirty or clean (dirty is eating almost anything to get your calories.. clean is eating "healthy" foods). It's much easier to eat dirty, but not good for you.

If you're doing the workouts consistently and eating enough calories, you should gain. I was eating about 3500 calories a day. I forget the ratio, but there's some amount of protein per pound of body weight that you should be eating as well.

You should be aiming for at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

gcubed

so i'm at day 64 with my wife, i figured by now i'd be cruising but i'm having to force myself to do the workouts. The biggest thing thats driving me to finish is that i'm at day 64, i applaud you guys who do it over and over again, its just really hard to find the time 6 days a week.

so i'm at day 64 with my wife, i figured by now i'd be cruising but i'm having to force myself to do the workouts. The biggest thing thats driving me to finish is that i'm at day 64, i applaud you guys who do it over and over again, its just really hard to find the time 6 days a week.
Hows your wife coping with it? I'm hoping it'll be an advantage in the eating stakes... but I don't know how we're both going to fit in the exercise unless I workout in the day (when I should be working).

I can't help feeling she'll be complaining continuously about the exercise though. =/

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

That was the hardest thing for me too. Just keep at it.

I would recommend P90X2 for you next. They drop it down to 5 days a week which is helping me a lot. Having a rest day on Wednesday and Sunday allows me to have time to get things done.

Top Bottom