• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

gcubed

Hows your wife coping with it? I'm hoping it'll be an advantage in the eating stakes... but I don't know how we're both going to fit in the exercise unless I workout in the day (when I should be working).

I can't help feeling she'll be complaining continuously about the exercise though. =/

she's not complaining that much, we both dislike yoga. she's complaining that i've lost more weight then her, but then again i've followed the diet and she only sorta did. We have done a lot of shifting rest days around since we both do things that make it hard to do it every day. Like tonight i have a hockey game, so we are skipping tonight but working on our normal rest day (Sunday).

She wants to try Insanity next because she heard its only 5 days and 45 minutes? Thanks Deadly Cyclone, this round is done in the beginning of March and we are going to Jamaica for a week, so hopefully that recharges me, i'd like to do x2

OG Kush

She wants to try Insanity next because she heard its only 5 days and 45 minutes? Thanks Deadly Cyclone, this round is done in the beginning of March and we are going to Jamaica for a week, so hopefully that recharges me, i'd like to do x2

No, its 6 days a week, and only the first month is 45 mins. 2nd month exercises start going to 55-60 minutes. And trust me, even at 45 mins its pretty damn crazy. I would do p90x over it any other day.

gcubed

No, its 6 days a week, and only the first month is 45 mins. 2nd month exercises start going to 55-60 minutes. And trust me, even at 45 mins its pretty damn crazy. I would do p90x over it any other day.

i really don't mind an insane crazy workout. i'm not afraid to sweat and be in pain, but I just can't do 6 days an hour a day when warm weather hits.

OG Kush

i really don't mind an insane crazy workout. i'm not afraid to sweat and be in pain, but I just can't do 6 days an hour a day when warm weather hits.

You do feel amazing afterwards aswell. I did it in the summer, but only at at night and with the fan on.

What do you think of adding in some cardio with P90X? I ride to school and back most days but it's not very far. Thinking of maybe occasional jogs or something? I'm on week 3 of phase 1.

D23

been sick for almost a week now.. ...
gonna restart once i feel slightly better, so pissed right now.

Fair play, I just had one of the Clif Builder's bars (chocolate) and it's quite easily the nicest protein bar I have ever had. Usually I have to force myself to get through them but I genuinely enjoyed that.

hxa155

Bought a heart rate monitor last week, so I started wearing it on all my workouts. So far:
Chest & Back=531, Ab Ripper X=130, Plyometrics=660, Shoulders & Arms=550, Yoga X=460

phase 3 going well so far :D

OG Kush

Bought a heart rate monitor last week, so I started wearing it on all my workouts. So far:
Chest & Back=531, Ab Ripper X=130, Plyometrics=660, Shoulders & Arms=550, Yoga X=460

phase 3 going well so far :D

This how many calories you burn?

Is a heart monitor worth it? It's quiet expensive and while it'd be nice to put a number to how hard I'm working, I try pretty hard anyway...

If so, please recommend. Otherwise I'm going to target getting the ones from New Balance

I3rand0

Fair play, I just had one of the Clif Builder's bars (chocolate) and it's quite easily the nicest protein bar I have ever had. Usually I have to force myself to get through them but I genuinely enjoyed that.
Yeah I just got a box of 18 chocolate and peanut butter bars from Amazon for $24. These are really great a few hours after my workout and protien shake.

I just did Base and Back for the first time last night and it's a great/insane workout. Pull ups and plyo wears you out fast and you still have to do Ab Ripper X2 afterwards.

Yeah I just got a box of 18 chocolate and peanut butter bars from Amazon for $24. These are really great a few hours after my workout and protien shake.

I just did Base and Back for the first time last night and it's a great/insane workout. Pull ups and plyo wears you out fast and you still have to do Ab Ripper X2 afterwards.

I get the 18-pack of chocolate/PB clif builder's bars at costco (here in Canada) for $19. I assume it's a chainwide thing, not sure about the US though.

Also they are awesome.

Oh yeah, and any suggestions on a heart rate monitor? Hard to find something with good reviews that's available here in canada.

GCNemesis

What do you think of adding in some cardio with P90X? I ride to school and back most days but it's not very far. Thinking of maybe occasional jogs or something? I'm on week 3 of phase 1.

If you have the time for it, it can only benefit you (barring any injury). You can also replace the Cardio and Kenpo program with HIIT, if you find those two exercises not too engaging.

Is a heart monitor worth it? It's quiet expensive and while it'd be nice to put a number to how hard I'm working, I try pretty hard anyway...

If so, please recommend. Otherwise I'm going to target getting the ones from New Balance

Oh yeah, and any suggestions on a heart rate monitor? Hard to find something with good reviews that's available here in canada.

I have had this one from Amazon for about six months now. It's worked well for the most part, seems like the calories that I burn during a workout are quite high (near the 800-900 range), but perhaps it's because I haven't properly calibrated the monitor in a while.

It's nice to have, especially when I was doing Insanity, because you can tell when you are pushing yourself too hard and when to slow it down. Plus, like people have said, it's nice to put a number to your effort.

If you have the time for it, it can only benefit you (barring any injury). You can also replace the Cardio and Kenpo program with HIIT, if you find those two exercises not too engaging.

I have had this one from Amazon for about six months now. It's worked well for the most part, seems like the calories that I burn during a workout are quite high (near the 800-900 range), but perhaps it's because I haven't properly calibrated the monitor in a while.

It's nice to have, especially when I was doing Insanity, because you can tell when you are pushing yourself too hard and when to slow it down. Plus, like people have said, it's nice to put a number to your effort.

Cheers, thanks for the tips.

I don't think I could work out without one now. It's nice to know for sure I haven't been half arsing it.

Plus it's obviously helpful with regards to making sure I get enough calories in to cover the expenditure.

I remember a few pages back (I can't find it) someone posting a rather nice looking chicken / wrap / sauce picture. If you're the one who posted it (or you know what it is), any chance of a recipe? It looked like it could be tasty.

Edit - It was Omega Blaze, and he's banned.

LX4Dl.jpg

Starting week 4 of phase 1--is it important to do the recovery week? With more yoga, stretching, etc.

I feel fine and I'd rather keep doing the plyo, weights, etc. Any thoughts either way?

mm04

Should I just repeat a normal phase 1 week? Or go straight into phase 2?

I'm not sure if my experience is an anamoly or what, but I have lost the bulk of my weight during my recovery weeks. 4 recovery weeks (I'm into round 2 of P90X) and 4 times I've lost a greater percentage of weight during recovery, than in the previous 3 weeks. It's the most bizarre thing, but I figured I'd share my experience and I'm 22 weeks in starting tomorrow.

Neifirst

Its not necessary.

Maybe the recovery week isn't necessary, but it's not just stretching and yoga, and it includes my personal favorite workout in the entire series: Core Synergistics. It has some lifting, some pushups, some ab ripper moves.

I remember a few pages back (I can't find it) someone posting a rather nice looking chicken / wrap / sauce picture. If you're the one who posted it (or you know what it is), any chance of a recipe? It looked like it could be tasty.

Edit - It was Omega Blaze, and he's banned.

LX4Dl.jpg

Looks like grilled chicken, spinach, feta cheese, pepper and/or other herbs to me.

Yeah, I guess I could just randomly start tossing stuff together to see how I go. Might be nice to have some light dressings to add to something like that.

gcubed

You do feel amazing afterwards aswell. I did it in the summer, but only at at night and with the fan on.

ha, i dont mind the heat as much, its just that i'm never home in the summer. I'm out on my motorcycle constantly. I really should attempt to switch my schedule to the morning.

I have 4 weeks left, i'm down 20 pounds so far (at 265) with about 15 or so to go. Last time I was at in the low 260's i did nothing but run, its nice to see some muscle. I'm 6'8" so i dont see myself getting much lower then 250/245. As it stands right now without a belt my jeans just fall down to my ankles. As much as towards the end i'm getting super annoyed by Tony, the regiment is working for me.

And whoever recommended BSN Syntha-6... good god thats the best protein powder i've ever tasted.

I'm not sure if my experience is an anamoly or what, but I have lost the bulk of my weight during my recovery weeks. 4 recovery weeks (I'm into round 2 of P90X) and 4 times I've lost a greater percentage of weight during recovery, than in the previous 3 weeks. It's the most bizarre thing, but I figured I'd share my experience and I'm 22 weeks in starting tomorrow.

Maybe the recovery week isn't necessary, but it's not just stretching and yoga, and it includes my personal favorite workout in the entire series: Core Synergistics. It has some lifting, some pushups, some ab ripper moves.

Thanks, I'm gonna start the recovery week with yoga and core synergistics and maybe swap in some plyo or weights later in the week if it's kinda boring. I wish the yoga workout was an hour though, it seems to drag on forever at 1.5 hours.

gcubed

Thanks, I'm gonna start the recovery week with yoga and core synergistics and maybe swap in some plyo or weights later in the week if it's kinda boring. I wish the yoga workout was an hour though, it seems to drag on forever at 1.5 hours.

if i am crunched on time i do vinyasa's and the ab part at the end, which is about an hour

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
And whoever recommended BSN Syntha-6... good god thats the best protein powder i've ever tasted.

A lot of carbs though... 13g vs (for example) Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard's 3g. If you mix it with 8oz milk and that's a around 37g or so of carbs, more than in a can of Coke! Not necessarily what one wants if trying to lose weight.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Do you guys have any idea on when should I be changing my diet according to the guide? Right now I'm doing fat shredder, even though I don't want to lose weight, because I want to get completely rid of the "soft" spots in my belly.

I'm kinda afraid of moving to Energy Booster because I don't want to lose the definition that I'm seeing in my recent 30 day pictures, but at the same time I want to get more mass and to do that you have to eat more carbs.

gcubed

A lot of carbs though... 13g vs (for example) Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard's 3g. If you mix it with 8oz milk and that's a around 37g or so of carbs, more than in a can of Coke! Not necessarily what one wants if trying to lose weight.

yeah, i mix most of my stuff with water, so something i'm not choking down is beneficial

I'm kinda afraid of moving to Energy Booster because I don't want to lose the definition that I'm seeing in my recent 30 day pictures, but at the same time I want to get more mass and to do that you have to eat more carbs.

Take a look at the before and after pics around this thread. Increasing carbs doesn't automatically mean a loss of definition.

Jos

Starting week 4 of phase 1--is it important to do the recovery week? With more yoga, stretching, etc.

I feel fine and I'd rather keep doing the plyo, weights, etc. Any thoughts either way?

I just started week 6, and in hindsight, don't feel like I gained much from the recovery week. If anything, it set me back a little. Although I did get immediate results from pushing weights again in the new works in week 5...

Up to you I guess if you feel like you need it.

mm04

Phase 2 Day 1 - What the hell! Felt sick, couldn't even do the bonus round.

Common. I felt very weak when doing those new workouts for the first time. By the time I actually felt good about them, it was the 3rd week of phase 2 with recovery coming the next week. Phase 3 is when I finally felt like I could really do each workout well.

Common. I felt very weak when doing those new workouts for the first time. By the time I actually felt good about them, it was the 3rd week of phase 2 with recovery coming the next week. Phase 3 is when I finally felt like I could really do each workout well.

Good to know its not just me. I'm tempted to switch one of the recovery days off and do more arm work. The two days off seem over kill. I haven't felt the need for a rest yet.

I think I'm gonna make stage 2 last 6 weeks as muscle mass is what I'm after then 3 weeks of Phase 3.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Day 50/Week 8 of P90X.

I'm going to take some pictures and my measurements tonight, but there is a big difference in the way I looked when I started and how I look now. It's kind of mindblowing, honestly.

Day 50/Week 8 of P90X.

I'm going to take some pictures and my measurements tonight, but there is a big difference in the way I looked when I started and how I look now. It's kind of mindblowing, honestly.

Do show

This is a bit TMI but hey I just had my first "Tony Fuck You!" moment. Had work + school, not feeling too well. Stayed with the exercises and did what I think was my best. Everytime I was done pushing myself I gave the TV a little nice finger. Felt nice

Also, more TMI, tonight's workout was nasty as hell. Why? Because I sweated AND farted like crazy. I smelled both sweaty and like shit at the same time. Rawr

Entropia

No One Remembers
Gaf, what is the best free website to use to keep track of the food/calories we consume?

I use MyFitnessPal, seems to have the most food data. Love it so far.

I'm still going through Power 90. It's been like 3.5 weeks since I started. I'm more or less able to keep up with the Sculpting 1-2 video, the Sweat 1-2 video still gives me a bit of trouble especially with the yoga. My hip flexors really feel it when I get to the kickng part.

I'll probably switch over to the Sweat/Sculpt 3-4 videos after 45 days then do those for another 45 days then I'll step up to P90X - that'll put me at around mid-April.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
On week 5 of P90X2 now and have lost about 8 pounds. I can tell some of the moves are getting easier too. I plan to take a rest week next week just because I'll be out of town on the weekend and I'd have to miss some days.

I'm kind of unsure of part 2 of X2 because the few folks that are on it say you really need med balls and I don't have any. Hmm.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm on Day 31 of Power 90. The SuperGym autoscheduler had me switch to 3-4 starting today, so today was my first Sculpt 3-4. I did pretty well. I think for me it was the right time to switch. It was tough, but I got through it and I can see how there's a lot of room in the routines for improvement (heavier weights, more reps, etc). Sweat 3-4/Abs 200 tomorrow.

So far I've lost 7.6lbs during the program (plus 3.6 just prior to starting P90), and I've lost 2" off my waist. Off to a good start!

tralfazz

Finishing up Week 6 of Phase 1 of P90X2. Maxing out every phase. Looking forward to the rest week and then phase 2. Got the 2 additional med balls for a total of four and ready to go!

Down 16 lbs so far! Started running again this week as my body has adjusted nicely to the routines and I've gotten 2 newcomers into P90X.

Keep pushing play people!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Restarting p90x tomorrow. Hopefully I'll stick with it to the end this time. Any tips for someone that usually loses interest after a month or so? Wish me luck.

tralfazz

Restarting p90x tomorrow. Hopefully I'll stick with it to the end this time. Any tips for someone that usually loses interest after a month or so? Wish me luck.

It's just as much mental as it is physical. Ask yourself why do you stop. Is it because of schedule? If so, find a different time of day to knock it out. I always do mine in the morning so I don't have to procrastinate it the rest of the day.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Sign up at teambeachbody.com -- it's free -- go their message boards and find a group that's doing P90X. Do it with them. Track your workouts on the site, and post your updates in the thread.

Top Bottom