• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Any decent grocery store should have them — I've bought them at a number of different chains. Trader Joe's also sells them.

Another snack I like is Kashi Go Lean cereal. A cup or so has around 140 calories, 13 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber. My girlfriend says it tastes like "rabbit food" (it is a little plain), but I like it.

Anyone know of a UK equivalent to this? I just have crunchy nut cornflakes. Not lots of protein but it fills a hole if I'm hungry.

I've said it before in here, but try Clif Builder's Bars. 20 grams of protein, all natural (most protein bars have tons of processed shit in them), fucking delicious. The best five minutes of my morning are from 9-9:05 when I eat one (every day, for two years now). I've known some people who don't like them, but those people are crazy. Try the chocolate mint or peanut butter.

I second this. I have one every day. Mint is my favorite. I wish my TJ's carried more flavors. Amazon has a good variety but don't order them in the summer. Melted by the time they reach your door.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I second this. I have one every day. Mint is my favorite. I wish my TJ's carried more flavors. Amazon has a good variety but don't order them in the summer. Melted by the time they reach your door.
Hey, another addict! I usually rotate between mint, chocolate and peanut butter. I actually just discovered the other day that there are three new flavors — s'mores, chocolate chip and crunchy peanut butter. I briefly considered paying some exorbitant price to order some from a supplements retailer online since they're not widely available yet, but convinced myself to wait. But I really fucking want to try all of them.

And yeah, when my band went on tour last summer, I brought a couple of boxes with me. Nearly everywhere we went, the weather was 95+ degrees, so you can imagine what happened to the bars. I still ate them.

I might have to get AmeriGAF to send me some builder bars. :D

I'm getting the protein bars now. Is that what you guys eat for breakfast? Can I eat that and cereal?
No reason why not. I don't think I ever have (I mostly have a fruit / protein shake in the morning), but then I'm not huge on solid food first thing.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm getting the protein bars now. Is that what you guys eat for breakfast? Can I eat that and cereal?
It's not the only thing I eat (my "breakfast" is more like a series of snacks over a few hours — Clif bar, then some almonds, then greek yogurt), but it's the first thing I have in the morning and it tides me over for a couple of hours. So, I guess my answer is... yes.

Hmmm can I have more than one per day, in case i get hungry? ( lol im really thinking ahead)For example I'm thinking:

1. Cereal breakfast
2. Protein bar @ 10am
3. Lunch
4. Another protein bar for the afternoon
5. Workout after work
6. Chocolate milk + dinner

Eating the chocolate mint bar now, goddayum
Oh man didn't realize this thing is caffeinated? Goddayum!

Cliff Builders bars taste good, but they have 20g of sugar. I also used to looooooove Powerbars, but they also have a lot of sugar.

Now I just discovered Pure Protein bars, and they are freaking amazing tasting (specially the chocolate chip cookie flavor). They only have 3g of sugar and 17g carbs.

I'd suggest to get those!

Also Trader Joe's has flaxseed chips with a lot of nutrients that seemed to be healthy, and these are delicious.

vatstep

Cliff Builders bars taste good, but they have 20g of sugar. I also used to looooooove Powerbars, but they also have a lot of sugar.
True, but considering how little sugar I eat the rest of the day, I don't really mind — it's all natural/organic stuff, at least. Pure Protein bars may have low sugar, but they have a bunch of ingredients with funky names that I'd personally rather stay away from if I'm going to be eating them frequently.

BeautifulMemory said:
Hmmm can I have more than one per day, in case i get hungry? ( lol im really thinking ahead)For example I'm thinking:
I wouldn't have more than one, but that's just me. They're a bit high in calories, so I'd rather eat something else that's more filling/substantial than eat another.

FOOTE

I have egg whites and turkey bacon for breakfast with a cup of milk. Then a cliff bar at 10am.

Starting to see the bottom portion of of my abs carving in. Going by what happened last time for me, my progression is going to start to really get going now. Ab Ripper is really kicking my ass still though, my legs just can't keep up with the furious pace.

Thanks for sharing guys. Your input is really helpful. I figure I got to be a little bit tighter with my diet, especially since P90 is not as intense as P90X. I am really interested in how far I can push if I continue it for another 90days (80 days now).

Of all the food changes that I've made so far, the one that still kills me is fruits. Only one fruit per day is too little. I used to eat bananas like a monkey before, and I miss it!

The nutrition plan (level II fat shredder) only allows you one portion of fruits per day. It sucks :(
-------------

This is what I'm eating right now:

LX4Dl.jpg

I think this is a kickass recipe because you only need a couple things and can do it in 2 minutes. Just buy whole wheat wraps (the ones I get are 23g carbs), I add spinach and feta/cottage cheese and roasted chicken. If sick of chicken you can try other things like ham, low fat bacon, tuna, or even peanut butter.

It's great.

carlo6529

I've been trying to eat more of cottage cheese but have been struggling. It's not so much the taste I don't like, but the texture. Been looking for ways to incorporate it into meals, I might try that dish.

The nutrition plan (level II fat shredder) only allows you one portion of fruits per day. It sucks :(
-------------

This is what I'm eating right now:

LX4Dl.jpg

I think this is a kickass recipe because you only need a couple things and can do it in 2 minutes. Just buy whole wheat wraps (the ones I get are 23g carbs), I add spinach and feta/cottage cheese and roasted chicken. If sick of chicken you can try other things like ham, low fat bacon, tuna, or even peanut butter.

It's great.

that actually looks very, very good

What do you guys think of Tofu anyway? Given it is easier to cook and I love the taste, I have stopped eating chicken (not intentionally) and substitute tofu instead. Then I just eat my favorite vegetable interchangeably between spinach and cabbage, and adding in carrots every now and then

Little confused about the nutrition plan.

If my 'nutrition level' is 2400 calories/day, and my protein should be 50% of my diet (phase 1), how many grams of protein should I be consuming per day?

Also is there a good site for tracking your food intake/calories?

that actually looks very, very good

What do you guys think of Tofu anyway? Given it is easier to cook and I love the taste, I have stopped eating chicken (not intentionally) and substitute tofu instead. Then I just eat my favorite vegetable interchangeably between spinach and cabbage, and adding in carrots every now and then
I quite like tofu generally. I tried Tempeh the other day, was really nice too. I'm a vegetarian though so maybe I'm biased.

If you have an iOS device, I'd recommend getting the P90x app. It's very slick, and you can use it to keep track of the stuff you eat based on the nutrition guide. If you eat a portion of protein for example, it automatically adds the amount of calories you get from it:

IRRnd.jpg

There's an app called Lose It! that's also helpful to see the nutrition values of tons of foods.

vatstep

Little confused about the nutrition plan.

If my 'nutrition level' is 2400 calories/day, and my protein should be 50% of my diet (phase 1), how many grams of protein should I be consuming per day?

Also is there a good site for tracking your food intake/calories?
myfitnesspal.com

Also available in app form for pretty much any smartphone, as well. I no longer track calories religiously since I eat more or less the same stuff regularly, but when I did, I used the iPhone app and it made it pretty quick and easy. It'll also automatically determine your daily percentages for fat, protein, and carbs, which seems to be what you're looking for.

I'm also a vegetarian, which makes it a little bit more difficult to get lots of protein. I generally aim for 110-125 grams per day.

300g is a very high number... but it wouldn't surprise me. I see a lot of weight lifting sites suggesting up to 2.5g per lb of bodyweight (even though there's not a lot of science behind it). You'd pretty much need to have protein at every meal (and 5 of them) given the general advice is that there's no point going over 60g of protein in a single sitting.

Edit - Yeah, just checked, 300g of protein would be right for a 50/x/x ratio at 2400kcal.

I wonder if the intent of that stage of P90x is ketosis, but without seen the carb aspect of the diet I couldn't really comment.

what do you eat to consume that much protein anyway? I am curious since I did a quick calculation of my diet and it comes to 72g

A really cheap source that I've made use of is canned tuna. I know it doesn't sound great, but it's very cheap and is a great filler for many meals. One of my most common early meals is a scramble of canned tuna and eggs with a yolk or two removed topped with some cheese and vegetables. Tastes pretty damn good for the price too. Otherwise, it's the usual boneless skinless chicken breast, very lean cuts of beef, mainly top round.

HOWEVER, you will find random bits of protein throughout the day in the form of dairy (greek yogurt works freaking wonders), beans (if you eat them; I do), boiled egg whites, nuts; it does add up. It's hard to get that high, I know. I struggle with it almost daily to try and gain weight, but after you learn all the right foods, it becomes easier to just buy and maintain a diet of those foods.

I'm worn out right now, so I've forgotten a lot of other things, but those are my main bullet points for grabbing protein.

lljride

Now I just discovered Pure Protein bars, and they are freaking amazing tasting (specially the chocolate chip cookie flavor). They only have 3g of sugar and 17g carbs.

Pure Protein is my favorite also. Tastes really good for a protein bar with a fraction of the sugar of most others. I especially love the Strawberry Shortcake, if for no other reason than it's a change of pace from chocolate.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I really need the bigger stability ball. Note to anyone picking one up, make sure you get the 65 size if you are over 5'5. I assume because P90X2 premium packages came with a 55 that's what I should get, but it's a bit too small.

Some of those balance exercises on that ball in sphinx pose one-armed are hard as crap, and even harder with less surface area. :)

f-castrillo

Neo Member
I really need the bigger stability ball. Note to anyone picking one up, make sure you get the 65 size if you are over 5'5. I assume because P90X2 premium packages came with a 55 that's what I should get, but it's a bit too small.

Some of those balance exercises on that ball in sphinx pose one-armed are hard as crap, and even harder with less surface area. :)
I think the hardest one is the sphinx stability ball circles (20 seconds each direction is borderline too long, even for an X grad!) and the sphinx to plank roll (with the feet on the stability ball). I haven't tried messing with ball sizes (my fiancee has a slightly smaller stability ball, not sure of the measurements on either of them though)

What's the consensus on egg yolks here? I've gotten into omelettes and I just don't see the benefit of discarding the yolk because it contains a bit of fat and less protein than white.

I'm not really looking to lose weight now so the tiny bit of fat really won't make a difference will it?

I've been googling it and every site just lists it's benefits of nutrients and essential fats. I don't get the hate!

Off to do YogaX. See you guys in two years.

Do Yoga X2. Much more fun and only takes 1 year instead.

OG Kush

What's the consensus on egg yolks here? I've gotten into omelettes and I just don't see the benefit of discarding the yolk because it contains a bit of fat and less protein than white.

I'm not really looking to lose weight now so the tiny bit of fat really won't make a difference will it?

I've been googling it and every site just lists it's benefits of nutrients and essential fats. I don't get the hate!

Do Yoga X2. Much more fun and only takes 1 year instead.

The yolk is fine, don't worry about such miniscule things.

GCNemesis

Off to do YogaX. See you guys in two years.

Get through the first 45 minutes or so and you're golden.

Thought I'd hate Yoga X2 since I despised Yoga X, but I really dug it. The quicker pace and variety in the exercises made it more enjoyable. Still not my favorite, but now it's tolerable.

Foam roller delivery tomorrow! Right on time for R+M. Interested to see if it's as cracked up as they say it is.

Count me in, everyone, for P90X!

I am getting to end of Power 90 and it's getting a little bit too easy. I was worried about the door frame but I bought the Iron Gym pull up bar and the door hasn't collapsed yet. I was worried about the sound but I will just do as much as I can, not to mention I am getting a mat for it, so I think it will even dim the sound more.

I'm almost done with p90 but I'm going to stop and start p90x right away when I get it

Should I get the resistance bands as listed in the OP? I went through P90 using the resistance band and I will say I like weights better, but I don' t know how intensive the movements are.

But OP, thank you and everyone who contributed it, really informational and helped me making purchases between Target/Amazon/Beachbody. Really helpful

Nelo Ice

Banned
On my 2nd round and 2nd week of P90x and damn at everyone following a diet plan now. I def need to go on one myself though I can't cook for shit.

Speaking of diets, starting crunch, I thought that this may have been the end of the diet, but alas no! I can get free fresh chicken and mixed berries for dinner. I'm so sorted now.
Full steam ahead!
My belly is disappearing which is awesome :D

lljride

Chest+Back+Balance this morning. Now THERE's the P90X we know and love. Nothing but pushups and pullups for an hour, plus X2AR for good measure. Just what I needed.

mm04

On my 2nd round and 2nd week of P90x and damn at everyone following a diet plan now. I def need to go on one myself though I can't cook for shit.

I hear ya on that as far as the cooking part. I'm on week 6 of round 2 (20 straight weeks with 1 week of "rest", which was basically 4 workouts of my choice) and I have been loosely following the the nutrition plan. And by loosely i mean LOOSELY. What I've been doing has been working for me, and as long as I continue to see results, albeit more slowly than those who strictly follow the plan, I'm going to continue with it.

It's important to create a diet plan for yourself that is sustainable. Something that you'll be happy with once the 90 days are complete (I'm not really directing this toward you since I know you've already gone 90 before). Once I got through phase 1 of round 1, I knew that this was going to be a lifestyle change and a long term venture. I am getting ripped, but not yet ripped. When I realized I was committed, whether it happened in 90 days or 180 days wasn't important to me, because I was going to continue the exercise program and my current eating habits. I'll get there eventually, and it's still almost 5 months till summer!

Top Bottom