• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Followed Hawkian's lead for real picture avatar month #2. Was considering taking a screen capture of one of Tony's terrible expressions and using that, but maybe that'll happen later on.

Ixian

Scaling my Friday cheat meal way the fuck back from now on; as much as I love delicious fries or sweet potato tots I don't think my body can handle so many of them anymore. Gonna get a side salad instead and snipe a few of my friend's fries -- still kinda cheaty but not to the gluttonous extreme that of before, which I don't really feel I need these days. Thank god it's X Stretch day.

Hey guys I have a question. I'm on week 3 of P90x, and I think I have a little tendinitis in my right elbow. I did shoulders and arms today no problem and without any pain, but my last chest and back workout was terrible, I couldn't do pull-ups without putting a lot of pressure on it. What should I do? Skip the pull-ups section next legs and back and hope it feels better for my next chest and back?

PKrockin

Hey all. I'm 5'11", 155lbs but flabby and weak because I never, ever exercise. It doesn't help having a job that involves sitting at a desk for 12 hours every day for three weeks at a time. I want to get stronger, healthier, and actually have some definition so I don't look like crap.

I'm very close to buying this program, but the one thing is the door frames in the shack I'm provided aren't strong enough to hold my weight. I checked out the Chin-up Max but it doesn't seem like you can do "real" chin-ups on it. Can anyone recommend a product that will work without a door frame? Or an exercise I can substitute?

Edit: Actually this looks like it will work. Doesn't look like it needs to be screwed in or bolted or anything.

Hey all. I'm 5'11", 155lbs but flabby and weak because I never, ever exercise. It doesn't help having a job that involves sitting at a desk for 12 hours every day for three weeks at a time. I want to get stronger, healthier, and actually have some definition so I don't look like crap.

I'm very close to buying this program, but the one thing is the door frames in the shack I'm provided aren't strong enough to hold my weight. I checked out the Chin-up Max but it doesn't seem like you can do "real" chin-ups on it. Can anyone recommend a product that will work without a door frame? Or an exercise I can substitute?

Edit: Actually this looks like it will work. Doesn't look like it needs to be screwed in or bolted or anything.

I ordered something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y2SUU4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Really depends on how much money you want to spend and how much room you have in your current space

PKrockin

I ordered something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y2SUU4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Really depends on how much money you want to spend and how much room you have in your current space

Thanks. I'm hoping not to spend so much just so I can do chin-ups, and I don't have much room at all either. I think I'll try one of these. Since I'm only 155 I figure the chances of it bending/breaking/fall down a lot is low.

One more question, do you need a straight back chair for P90X? I've heard you do and all I have is a flimsy broken armless office chair. lol

Eh, that might not be so good if it moves around and isnt fixed on the ground (has wheels) since you will need to do chair dips in a few of the exercises and i dont see an office chair being all that ideal. Try borrowing a plain straight back chair if possible.

PKrockin

Eh, that might not be so good if it moves around and isnt fixed on the ground (has wheels) since you will need to do chair dips in a few of the exercises and i dont see an office chair being all that ideal. Try borrowing a plain straight back chair if possible.

Googled chair dips, and if that's all the chair is needed for, I can do that with the edge of my bunk bed. Thanks Roadie.

mehdi_san

Haha I was watching the This is it! bluray today (hadn't in a while), and look who's in it! She flies through the air with the greatest of ease, the gorgeous Dreya Weber!
Photo_12_07_01_1_42_26.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did kenpo while holding two pound weights. Felt nice! Definitely a noticeable amount of work.
:) Next time, three. DO IT

Welcome PKrockin! I wish you well on the start of your journey :) The edge of your bed will be fine for chair dips, but you may want a chair to assist with pull-ups. A $15 straight back chair really is all you need.

Hey folks,

I lost 20 pounds on Power 90 earlier this year, and I have not gained it back. However, I got really busy over the last couple of months (70 hours of so of work a week), so I stopped working out.

I won't be that busy again for a while, so I want to get back into it. My back and shoulders have become really stiff over the last few weeks, though - and I also developed some stiffness where my neck joins my back. Some people may remember me posting that I strained my neck badly when I first began P90 and was bedridden for a day, and I don't want a repeat of that.

My question: what is the best way of easing back into a workout program like Power 90 while minimizing strain/injury to my shoulders and back? Thanks!

oatmeal

Banned
:) Next time, three. DO IT

Welcome PKrockin! I wish you well on the start of your journey :) The edge of your bed will be fine for chair dips, but you may want a chair to assist with pull-ups. A $15 straight back chair really is all you need.

Three pounds?

I definitely could. I just don't have a 3-pount weight.

OchreHand

Anyone know who Thomas Schneider is? Tony doesn't sound very happy with him at the moment.

on Facebook:

Hey Thomas Schneider, you sure have a lot to say for a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm certified with NCEP: National College of Exercise Professionals and now P90X Certified. Why don't you spend less time sitting on your ass spouting on about things your clueless in and go get a life. If you come in here one more time and make crap up you're gone.

Last day of Phase 1 for me! Kenpo and then starts recovery week. I took a preview of the Chest and Arms from Phase 2 and.. wow. One arm pushups? Yikes!

Anyone know who Thomas Schneider is? Tony doesn't sound very happy with him at the moment.

on Facebook:

Last day of Phase 1 for me! Kenpo and then starts recovery week. I took a preview of the Chest and Arms from Phase 2 and.. wow. One arm pushups? Yikes!

His first post, basically the gist of what he said

Thomas Schneider said:
I hope the industry gets regulated, then all of us trainers will need to have a Degreee, certifiation, and get State Boarded just like doctors, lawyers, etc.... The p90x certificatin is a CEU folks, but like I expressed to Tony in a previous post that got taken down, I believe Mr. Horton should be on the forefront of wanting to go back to college himself get that Exercise Science degree, get his own CPT with NASM who BeachBody has partnered with. I love what he has done, but over 20+ yrs and no personal trainer cert? I don't understand, why not? Why would I want to get p90x certified if the founder hasn't gotten certified on anything? If we as coaches, trainers, etc... want to lead by example with our philosophies on health and fitness, then we should be regulated and follow some minimum requirements of a CPTcredential, CPR/AED Cert, Licensed and Insured, Business License, etc... it's the RIGHT THING TO DO.....HOOAH !!!

This is a response to Tony's post about Steve Edward's latest blog. lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Probably just some random internet guy. Tony seems to take Facebook pretty seriously at times, haha.

Googled chair dips, and if that's all the chair is needed for, I can do that with the edge of my bunk bed. Thanks Roadie.

There are a couple other things you might need a chair for. I cant remember the names, but they do sort of involve you sitting on the very end of your chair... something you could probably do on your bunk. Im only on week 5 so i dont remember the names of the moves so well. One move also has you kicking your feet up over the chair back and forth (preferably a stool, but i use a chair anyways). There are a couple involving weights as well, in chest exercises. So I think a chair would be best ;P

Maybe someone else can elaborate with the specifics of needing a chair since im sort of a noob. Pwease.

PS: Your weight/height seem pretty good to start off and I was in a similar situation where I was kind of weak and flabby (Im 5'10'' and 166). Just do your best, the first week is a real killer. Your muscles and body will be beyond sore (cant get outta bed). Just plug away and eventually your body will get used to it. The recovery drink they sell really helped me with muscle recovery and energy.

LaneDS

on Facebook:

I saw that earlier and had no idea who he was, but laughed at Tony calling him out like that. Sounds like Thomas has somewhat of a point, but I really don't care as I think Tony is doing great things for a lot of people (myself included).

Time for Balance & Power, woo.

Edit: I have procrastinated and still not worked out. Also, I meant to cross-post this from yesterday, but here's my weight loss before/after post showing me at 240 lbs three years ago and me, yesterday, at 190 lbs - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39374460&postcount=14917 . It's ok to shamelessly self-promote posts when they're supposed to be inspirational, right?!

Reckoner

Will I get good results with P90? (not the X) Started it a few days ago, but I think I'm able to already shoot for the P90X...

Will I get good results with P90? (not the X) Started it a few days ago, but I think I'm able to already shoot for the P90X...

I really see p90 more as a gateway to get fit and less result. One way for me to know when I was ready for p90x is I started to get bored while doing level 3/4, literally the reps become a chore

If that's you, then it's time

Hey folks,

I lost 20 pounds on Power 90 earlier this year, and I have not gained it back. However, I got really busy over the last couple of months (70 hours of so of work a week), so I stopped working out.

I won't be that busy again for a while, so I want to get back into it. My back and shoulders have become really stiff over the last few weeks, though - and I also developed some stiffness where my neck joins my back. Some people may remember me posting that I strained my neck badly when I first began P90 and was bedridden for a day, and I don't want a repeat of that.

My question: what is the best way of easing back into a workout program like Power 90 while minimizing strain/injury to my shoulders and back? Thanks!

hey,

I only have educated guesses for you. 1) Stretch daily, get your body warmed up again. 2) Did you ever do level 3/4 for sculpting? There's the superman move, awesome for the back. 3) You are just going have to be super careful when you start again. Watch your form, watch your weights/reps, and listen to your body

I held Wheel from X2 Yoga for 30 seconds today. Love seeing improvements like that.

Awesome! (Was gonna say "you fucker"). I tend to be happy with bridge by that point

Wessiej

I really see p90 more as a gateway to get fit and less result. One way for me to know when I was ready for p90x is I started to get bored while doing level 3/4, literally the reps become a chore

If that's you, then it's time

P90 is perfect for me. Going to the gym 3/4 times a week, and fill the rest up with p90. I think if you only do the home training, you could always try the P90X. So much harder.

PKrockin

There are a couple other things you might need a chair for. I cant remember the names, but they do sort of involve you sitting on the very end of your chair... something you could probably do on your bunk. Im only on week 5 so i dont remember the names of the moves so well. One move also has you kicking your feet up over the chair back and forth (preferably a stool, but i use a chair anyways). There are a couple involving weights as well, in chest exercises. So I think a chair would be best ;P

Maybe someone else can elaborate with the specifics of needing a chair since im sort of a noob. Pwease.

PS: Your weight/height seem pretty good to start off and I was in a similar situation where I was kind of weak and flabby (Im 5'10'' and 166). Just do your best, the first week is a real killer. Your muscles and body will be beyond sore (cant get outta bed). Just plug away and eventually your body will get used to it. The recovery drink they sell really helped me with muscle recovery and energy.

I asked a friend and she's going to let me borrow her folding chair, so that should be enough. If that's still not enough, well, I don't even have one of those normal dinner-style chairs in my house anyway so I'll just improvise, no big deal :p

And yeah, I expect to be in absolute agony for a lot of this program, but that's also kind of exciting somehow... for now. Once I start the program I think it will be less excitement and more looming sense of dread.

LaneDS

I held Wheel from X2 Yoga for 30 seconds today. Love seeing improvements like that.

That's great! I was able to do it a few weeks ago, but almost certainly for under ten seconds and it wasn't pretty. Yesterday, during X2, I managed crane with both legs in the air for over twenty seconds twice... I was thrilled and had to keep myself from yelling at my roommate to look once I held it for more than a second, since I knew I'd bail.

Balance and power done for today, completing week two of X2. Woo.

Thanks for the advice, BeautifulMemory! I think I'm going to begin as you say, being careful and doing extra rounds of daily stretching. I did do 3/4, but I think when I start again, I'll lessen the resistance a bunch and get my body used to the movements again.

Eyeh4wk

I started doing P90X for a month now, and I just can't stand still on the Moon poses not even for a second. It starts off so easy, and then BAM I'm all over the place stumbling.

That's great! I was able to do it a few weeks ago, but almost certainly for under ten seconds and it wasn't pretty. Yesterday, during X2, I managed crane with both legs in the air for over twenty seconds twice... I was thrilled and had to keep myself from yelling at my roommate to look once I held it for more than a second, since I knew I'd bail.

Balance and power done for today, completing week two of X2. Woo.

That's good work with crane man. I was ecstatic the first time I was supporting myself with my hands in that move.

Ixian

Crane is one of those Matrix moves where if I actually think about what I'm doing, I tumble.

Yoga tomorrow for me, then my rest day, and then I begin my last phase of P90X. Planning on restarting immediately after I finish. :)

Ill Saint

Got some shoulder, hip and arm bruising from a minor motorcyle accident. Let's see if I can improvise chest and back tomorrow if the pain isn't too bad. Downtime sucks.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Missed Kenpo yesterday because of a power outage caused by the derecho storm. Power's not expected to be back until Monday evening. Took the family to a friend's house for the night, they have power & wifi. Downloaded the Kenpo guide for the P90X iOS app & got the workout in today. My folks' power is back today so we're going to crash there tonight. Monday starts recovery week, so I won't need my dumbbells or chinup bar, so I should be able to get yoga x in first thing in the morning.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just came back from my 5k. It was a blast, and, unexpectedly, a shitload of people showed up (around 2500 or so).

Really happy with my performance, specially considering that I didn't sleep much. 5k in 28 minutes, on a route with some scary hills and at a city famous for its altitude.

Now I'm eyeing a 10k for the 29th of July. Since I'm done with X2, I'm going to start a P90X/P90X2 hybrid focused on mass. I was wondering what workouts should I add in order to prepare for that 10k.

I was thinking about adding a PAP Lower per week instead of Cardio X, which is suggested in the mass schedule.

Anyway, feels so good to be active doing what you like. I don't think I would have ever considered an athletic/fitness lifestyle if it wasn't for Tony.

LaneDS

Just came back from my 5k. It was a blast, and, unexpectedly, a shitload of people showed up (around 2500 or so).

Really happy with my performance, specially considering that I didn't sleep much. 5k in 28 minutes, on a route with some scary hills and at a city famous for its altitude.

Now I'm eyeing a 10k for the 29th of July. Since I'm done with X2, I'm going to start a P90X/P90X2 hybrid focused on mass. I was wondering what workouts should I add in order to prepare for that 10k.

I was thinking about adding a PAP Lower per week instead of Cardio X, which is suggested in the mass schedule.

Anyway, feels so good to be active doing what you like. I don't think I would have ever considered an athletic/fitness lifestyle if it wasn't for Tony.

Nice! I think I predicted sub-30, so naturally I will take all of the credit for your success.

Seriously though, that's great, and keep it up.

Ill Saint- sorry to hear about the crash, but at least it was a minor one and you're still up and about; you'll get back to where you want to be quickly I'm sure.

Hey guys I have a question. I'm on week 3 of P90x, and I think I have a little tendinitis in my right elbow. I did shoulders and arms today no problem and without any pain, but my last chest and back workout was terrible, I couldn't do pull-ups without putting a lot of pressure on it. What should I do? Skip the pull-ups section next legs and back and hope it feels better for my next chest and back?

Any advice about this? Got Legs and Back today. Should I skip the pull-ups and try to let my elbow get better?

edit: Nevermind. I think I'll be fine if I use bands instead of doing regular pull-ups, doesn't put the same amount of pressure on my elbow.

LaneDS

Any advice about this? Got Legs and Back today. Should I skip the pull-ups and try to let my elbow get better?

Do you have resistance bands? Those are considerably easier, and if you have them, you might find you can do those without injuring yourself while still getting a similar (if reduced) benefit.

But yes, go easy, I think that much is for sure. That workout will be there for you literally every week if you want it, so don't feel too down if you have to modify due to injury. Rest/ice/stretch- do all that good stuff and when your body is ready, go back to it.

Edit: Another $173 to Bodybuilding.com... getting in shape can be pricey.

Edit 2 (double posts be damned): Just did Pure Cardio, and that still destroys me. After the warm-up rounds, which I stuck through pretty well this time (attempt #2) I found I probably did about 50-60% of the meat of the workout... so exhausting. Time for recovery and mobility, and then a date (which I'm excited about), woo.

Ill Saint

Ill Saint- sorry to hear about the crash, but at least it was a minor one and you're still up and about; you'll get back to where you want to be quickly I'm sure.

Thanks Lane. Looks like I'll need about a week off. I was losing motivation anyway, so maybe the downtime will do me some good.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Start the second half of Insanity tomorrow, two questions:
1. What is in store for me? Are the workouts a ton harder?
2. I only lost about 2 pounds on half 1, think I'll lose a bit more on part 2?

ismaboof

1. Intervals are 45 seconds each instead of 30. And yes, harder. Embrace it.
2. Drink more water and eat less/cleaner calories. EDIT: Unless you are already like <10% bf or something.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

The workouts are basically the same, but with 3 rounds instead of 2. IIRC the warmup is a bit more intense as well.

Couldn't tell you on your weight loss. You'll burn a lot more calories for sure. Also I highly recommend subbing in Insane Abs for Cardio Abs and Max Sports Training for Core Cardio & Balance, if you have them.

Top Bottom