• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have decided to start phase 2 of Insanity tonight and push my fitness test to Wednesday. We'll see Wednesday if that was a good idea...

oatmeal

Banned
CoreSyn was a lot better than I remember from 3 yaers ago.

The only thing I fucked up on was Prisoner Push Ups, I didn't watch them and didn't know I had to stand up. When I was dead, I looked up and saw them doing the full thing and was like "ooooooh...shit".

Ixian

Guilt-free gaming is the best.

"GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!"
"MOM, I DID PLYO"
*mom shuts up*
Considering I mostly play MMOs, I'm a huge fan of guilt-free gaming, especially now that I'm back into FFXI. And today is my rest day! [gets ready for some grinding when he gets home]

I have decided to start phase 2 of Insanity tonight and push my fitness test to Wednesday. We'll see Wednesday if that was a good idea...
Can't wait to hear about this one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Guys...month 2 of Insanity...guys...

This may be the hardest cardio I've ever done, that includes sports. I also didn't notice that I was supposed to do the fitness test, then the fist day of month two on the same day... I'll do my rest day Wednesday and fitness test then.

Seriously though, 20 minutes longer, shorter warmup and stretching. I feel wiped. How will I make the month...

LaneDS

Guys...month 2 of Insanity...guys...

This may be the hardest cardio I've ever done, that includes sports. I also didn't notice that I was supposed to do the fitness test, then the fist day of month two on the same day... I'll do my rest day Wednesday and fitness test then.

Seriously though, 20 minutes longer, shorter warmup and stretching. I feel wiped. How will I make the month...

Apply the P90X mantra man! Do your best and forget the rest. If you're exhausting yourself as much as I am sure you are (having just done Pure Cardio and at least watched the Fitness Test, I know how effing hard it is), I think it's safe to say you're burning insane calories.

Finished Core X2 tonight even though I felt really tired going into it and was done feeling like I worked really hard at just about every move. I think I have the most problem with the sphinx cross over knee to elbow move you do at the beginning... I pretty much have to lift my elbows off the floor to connect the two and find it quickly exhausting. In Balance & Power there is that one move where you're in X plank and you have to lift your left arm and right leg and then go knee to elbow, then switch sides, and I'm terrible at that move too which I think is similar. Hoping those improve in time.

mehdi_san

Apply the P90X mantra man! Do your best and forget the rest. If you're exhausting yourself as much as I am sure you are (having just done Pure Cardio and at least watched the Fitness Test, I know how effing hard it is), I think it's safe to say you're burning insane calories.

Finished Core X2 tonight even though I felt really tired going into it and was done feeling like I worked really hard at just about every move. I think I have the most problem with the sphinx cross over knee to elbow move you do at the beginning... I pretty much have to lift my elbows off the floor to connect the two and find it quickly exhausting. In Balance & Power there is that one move where you're in X plank and you have to lift your left arm and right leg and then go knee to elbow, then switch sides, and I'm terrible at that move too which I think is similar. Hoping those improve in time.
I don't remember what workout it was in, but there's that move where you have your legs on the stability ball, and you go back from plank to sphinx back and forth, you see which one I'm talking about? Well that one I couldn't do even 1 single rep, even after 4 weeks :( My arms just couldn't take it

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It BEGINS AGAIN.

TIME TO PUSH PLAY for 90 DAYS NON STOP BITCHES!

WHO'S WITH ME?!

DILLON_predator.gif

We are all on this together.

mehdi_san

The chattarocker? That shit's impossible. I think I did one, and my form wasn't too hot.
Nah, chattarocker was really hard, and my form was shit, but at least there was some kind of body movement for me. The other one I was thinking of was in phase 1, with legs on the stability ball. Now this one, I couldn't even move, I was just stuck there (^^;;

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not sure how I'll get through Insanity tonight, last night kicked my ass. I'll just use the Tony Horton mantra of "Do your best and forget the rest."

LaneDS

Back under 190 on the scale, feels good. It'll be a good while longer still, but once I crest under 180 I'm going to feel amazing, as it's probably been more than a decade since I've been that light (and potentially I've never been this strong).

Plyocide tonight, gonna bring it.

KingGondo

Banned
Back under 190 on the scale, feels good. It'll be a good while longer still, but once I crest under 180 I'm going to feel amazing, as it's probably been more than a decade since I've been that light (and potentially I've never been this strong).

Way to go on the weight loss!

I'll be thrilled if I can manage to get back to 200, much less 190. My discipline in the food/beer arena has been a bit lacking recently, need to re-commit to that aspect of the program and finish strong.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can do it Gondo.

My goal is to make it through my birthday/4th of July (tomorrow) without undoing all 100+ days of progress.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I'm jelly. You get to do Plyocide while I have to do just Cardio X :(

KlotePino

Do any of you guys feel like you're straining your lower back instead of your abs when doing ab ripper X? I just did it for the first time again and being in that half upright position really hurts my lower back after a while especially once my abs can't really help anymore. Any tips? I feel like I might not be able to continue on if I do that 3 times a week.

owlbeak

Do any of you guys feel like you're straining your lower back instead of your abs when doing ab ripper X? I just did it for the first time again and being in that half upright position really hurts my lower back after a while especially once my abs can't really help anymore. Any tips? I feel like I might not be able to continue on if I do that 3 times a week.
I think it depends on the pain you're describing. My lower back muscles will ache when I do some of the first three moves, but I think it's supposed to hurt. Ab Ripper X isn't just abs, it's also core strengthening. So basically anything from your ribs down to your waist all the way around the front and back is getting worked as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lower back strain during Ab Ripper X shouldn't be a normal thing. Try doing 5-10 cat stretches before beginning, next time- see if it makes a difference.

zlatko

Banned
Ran into a snag into getting P90X. Lack of funds from last pay day. :(

That said I've been working out 6 days on/1day off with biking 10 miles, sit ups, push ups, and jumping jacks. Also made huge strides to my diet.

One issue I thought about with P90X though: I can't do a pull up. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I couldn't do a real pull-up when I started either! There's an assist device you can get, or you can do assisted ones with a chair.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I definitely could not do a pull-up before X/X2. At the end I was doing 6-10. I just used a stool, and eventually did no assist for the first set and stool for the latter sets.

KingGondo

Banned
You can do it Gondo.

My goal is to make it through my birthday/4th of July (tomorrow) without undoing all 100+ days of progress.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Yeah, that's the bitch about fitness--it's WAY easier to fall out of shape than it is to get into shape.

LaneDS

I'm jelly. You get to do Plyocide while I have to do just Cardio X :(

You're the master of your own destiny! Do plyocide instead if you want to push yourself a bit harder- not sure what cardio x will offer aside from not beating up your body as much. I think subbing in plyo occasionally would be perfectly alright for your current program.

zlatko- On the first P90X workout, the bit at the start with Tony talking to the camera he mentions something about people that say they can't do pull-ups, and his response is that it's not that they can't, but that they "presently struggle with" pull-ups, and it's very true. For a lot of people in here pull-ups were a dream, and by the end of the program you'll have surprised yourself if you stick with it. Not only that, but there will be other moves in the program that also make you say "I'll never be able to do that!" and sure enough, days/weeks/months later you'll be surprising yourself.

Just did Plyocide for the first time. I'm not sure why it's getting so much praise. It seemed much easier than Plyo X, both physically and mentally. My quads don't feel destroyed, and overall it was much more of a core workout than a leg workout. I might switch it out for the original.

I'll try it a few more times, of course, since maybe my unfamiliarity with the moves kept me from fully engaging.

It's also possible that since I just finished day 60 of Insanity, any leg workout is going to feel easy for a while.

Just did Plyocide for the first time. I'm not sure why it's getting so much praise. It seemed much easier than Plyo X, both physically and mentally. My quads don't feel destroyed, and overall it was much more of a core workout than a leg workout. I might switch it out for the original.

I'll try it a few more times, of course, since maybe my unfamiliarity with the moves kept me from fully engaging.

It's also possible that since I just finished day 60 of Insanity, any leg workout is going to feel easy for a while.

I agree that it feels easier than Plyo X. I just like it better. Still a good calorie burn.

ccbfan

Did my last Plyo X last night. (Well for the program)

I'm gonna miss this exercise. It hurts like hell doing it but man do you feel so good afterwards. Its the only p90x cardio that I feel does anything anymore. Whats amazing is that with all that high impact, I think my knees and joints actually feel better since p90x.

Speaking of doing some exercise after p90x.

I'm planning for creating my own p90x light routine where its only 3 days a week.

Thinking of two different types of weeks alternating.

Week 1 = Chest and Back-Ab Ripper | Arms Shoulders-Ab Ripper | Legs and Back-Ab Ripper
Week 2 = Chest and Shoulder and Triceps-Ab Ripper | Biceps and Back - Ab Ripper | Plyo x - Ab Ripper.

I hope you guys are lifting heavy (with correct form obviously) on some of the weights. I've gone from 20lb dumbbells to 30s now within a few weeks.

Though my weight has gone up... =(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

It's what you said there, more core. That's why I like P90X2 about equal to X, they both compliment each other VERY well. X2 is not just X1 moves over, but harder. It's moves that actually compliment what you accomplished in X1, and moves that do things you never went through in X1.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

With Plyocide you have to give it all you got, otherwise it will seem easier than Plyometrics. Since this is the first time you did it, I assume there were some pauses and you didn't have good form in some moves. Now that you already know how the routine is, crank that shit up to 11.

Plyometrics was challenging, but Plyocide just left me absolutely soaked in sweat every time I did it. I personally think is a "smarter" workout than its predecessor considering how it also introduces balance and core engagement.

You're the master of your own destiny! Do plyocide instead if you want to push yourself a bit harder- not sure what cardio x will offer aside from not beating up your body as much. I think subbing in plyo occasionally would be perfectly alright for your current program.

I really would like to do it, but the reason why the Plyo workouts are a no-no for this mass program is because they are insane calorie burners. Since I want to put some weight, burning 800 calories isn't exactly efficient.

I actually consider plyocide to be harder since with plyometric a lot of moves can be modified, and the squats are pretty stationary for the most part.

That said, I do agree that plyometric gives burn on the legs

I absolutely dread burpee frog hops. Holy shit

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Burpees, Mary Katherine Lunges with weight, that insane plank/run/plyo push up/jump move at the end are harder than anything in Plyometrics.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Burpees, Mary Katherine Lunges with weight, that insane plank/run/plyo push up/jump move at the end are harder than anything in Plyometrics.

These all pale in comparison to what I'm doing in Insanity right now. I was not prepared. :p
(Although Insanity is cardio where P90X/2 is a mix).

The whole plank/run, jumping jack pushup, wide plank run, burpee up/jump all in one move about ended me last night. :p

I will be honest I do not go as deep as I need to on those MK lunges.

And all this Insanity talk makes me feel like I should give it a shot...eventually

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really would like to do it, but the reason why the Plyo workouts are a no-no for this mass program is because they are insane calorie burners. Since I want to put some weight, burning 800 calories isn't exactly efficient.

I am so struggling with this concept. We're both doing the mass schedule and I really don't want to lose more weight as I'm fine with the number on the scale, but I definitely want to lose more fat while gaining muscle. I'm having such a hard time understanding the right balance of calorie intake versus burn that's right for me right now, and it's so hard for me to believe it's not a good idea for me to keep doing more cardio, because I really really don't want to put any weight back on...

Damn fitness u crazy

Ixian

I haven't done Cardio X or even looked at the videos, but I'm curious how many calories it burns that makes it acceptable to do it in a mass building schedule versus Plyo. You could always eat a bit more to compensate for the additional calorie burn, too.

Hawkian, I'd recommend reading the LeanGains blog. It's largely about Intermittent Fasting -- I'm not necessarily suggesting you do IF mind you -- but LG revolves around lifting three times a week and not exercising the other days, and eating around that. There is a lot of good information in that blog that might give you a better understanding as to how to approach things. There's also RippedBody.jp, which is again about the LeanGains-style of Intermittent Fasting, but written in a more digestible format. Again, not suggesting you follow the diet (though I like it a lot), but the information in those blogs is invaluable.

First day of phase 3 Chest and Back later tonight. Diamond Pushups. Fuck.

LaneDS

Yeah, the concept of "burning too many calories" is so foreign to me, but I'm still a recovering fatty. Maybe once I hit a certain weight and go for more sculpting-focused aims I'll understand that better, but bummer Steelo that you can't mix up the workout how you'd like (for now).

Top Bottom