• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Chest Shoulders and Triceps tomorrow. I haven't done this workout in like 4 months.

Looking forward to those painful 2 speed pushups!

LaneDS

Thanks Lane. Looks like I'll need about a week off. I was losing motivation anyway, so maybe the downtime will do me some good.

Yeah man, just stay active in the thread, let yourself get better, and bring it with good intensity when you're better. I know I was going stir crazy when I was out for about a week with my surgery, so maybe you'll get a similar feeling. Where were you in the program when this happened?

If there's one thing this thread should help provide, it's motivation I think. Good luck with the recovery.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
As far as P90X2 goes, I absolutely loved it. It's pretty much as Tony and Beachbody were pimping it: functional fitness.

For people looking to lose weight and make their core/balance/flexibility better, the first phase of X2 is incredible. I could never touch the floor with my palms before, and after that phase I could. Phase 2 is just classic P90X.

The PAP phase was fantastic. Some people may find the workouts repetitive, but I loved the structure because since there are only 8 moves per PAP workout, it's easier to focus on perfect form and try to master all of them.

X2 made me stronger (I can lift heavier now), increased my performance (running speed and I can jump higher than ever) and toned my body even more (under certain lighting, I can see a lot of muscles on my body I've never seen before).

Tomorrow starts a new phase for me. I'm doing the P90X Mass Schedule, but in order to mix things up, I'll be constantly switching between the P90X1 workouts like Legs and Back with the X2 version (Base and Back).

Man, you are gonna love PAP. The first time that I did PAP Lower and Upper, my whole body was sore in that oh-so-good way.

oatmeal

Banned
Fuck.

I swapped Yoga X with X2...

That first half hour is like getting your face punched repeatedly. I have never sweat that much in my entire life.

KlotePino

I really wanna get back into P90X as I bought it but haven't really given it a real shot yet. However I'm about 140 lbs and although I'm starting to see a little bit of a belly my situation seems to be different from a lot of the examples. Should I start eating more and drinking lots of milk and shakes like they suggest? I feel like I should be eating more so that I get more energy and don't burn through the muscles I'm trying to acquire. Anyone in a similar situation have any tips?

LaneDS

I really wanna get back into P90X as I bought it but haven't really given it a real shot yet. However I'm about 140 lbs and although I'm starting to see a little bit of a belly my situation seems to be different from a lot of the examples. Should I start eating more and drinking lots of milk and shakes like they suggest? I feel like I should be eating more so that I get more energy and don't burn through the muscles I'm trying to acquire. Anyone in a similar situation have any tips?

If you're getting skinny fat, the idea is the same- you want to burn fat. Really research the foods you're ingesting (i.e. don't just drink "lots of milk and shakes") to make sure you're taking in a good caloric level for your height and activity level, and get a good balance of protein/carbohydrates/fats. Build muscle, burn fat, watch your emerging tummy start to disappear. P90X is just as much for those on the low end of the scale as it is for the big boys and girls.

mehdi_san

Started phase 2 of p90x2 today. I only have one thing to say.... Chattarocker. What was that about !! I'm pretty my neighbors could hear me groan haha.
BTW, P90X2 phase 1 with the fat shredder diet is some kind of crazy magic. I've dropped from 16.8% body fat to 13.3% in 4 weeks. I never had so much muscle definition, and I can "almost" see my abs. Really feels good man!

Oh and I've been invited to a party at the beach in 2 weeks. Which means I've got 2 weeks to bring it like crazy to get as much fat out of my body as I can.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, explain this one. I lost more weight on my rest week for Insanity than I have during the first 3. :p

I did 2 sets of the recovery workout last week, and ran 3 miles. That's all I did for workouts. Fine by me, it put me to my lowest weight since starting P90X2/Insanity. Down to 200.5 from 225 in January and 237 last year.

LaneDS

Started phase 2 of p90x2 today. I only have one thing to say.... Chattarocker. What was that about !! I'm pretty my neighbors could hear me groan haha.
BTW, P90X2 phase 1 with the fat shredder diet is some kind of crazy magic. I've dropped from 16.8% body fat to 13.3% in 4 weeks. I never had so much muscle definition, and I can "almost" see my abs. Really feels good man!

Oh and I've been invited to a party at the beach in 2 weeks. Which means I've got 2 weeks to bring it like crazy to get as much fat out of my body as I can.

That's awesome! I'm just starting week 3 of phase 1 today, and wish I had been taking body fat % measurements, but even after two weeks I feel slimmer and stronger. Did you do four weeks of phase 1, or three weeks plus recovery? I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do a recovery week after phase 1 and not just jumping into phase 2. While getting bigger sounds good on some levels, I'm still mostly interested in fat loss more than anything so I'm wondering if I shouldn't do the 3/6/3 schedule after all.

Any opinions on that last bit?

DC- I'm not too surprised (also congrats, that's awesome! Can you imagine what you're going to feel like when you crest under 200?) even without seeing the Insanity schedule (next thread totally needs to be P90X+Insanity!) because it's just such insane amounts of cardio... seems like it's a program designed to just shed weight off people with pounds to lose.

Chest and Back this morning...same ol' stuff...pull-ups are still being worked on...

Added barbell bench presses since the start of this program...also cracking out some barbell deadlifts to strengthen the back even more.

130 lbs as a personal record on bench press...weaksauce still.

mehdi_san

That's awesome! I'm just starting week 3 of phase 1 today, and wish I had been taking body fat % measurements, but even after two weeks I feel slimmer and stronger. Did you do four weeks of phase 1, or three weeks plus recovery? I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do a recovery week after phase 1 and not just jumping into phase 2. While getting bigger sounds good on some levels, I'm still mostly interested in fat loss more than anything so I'm wondering if I shouldn't do the 3/6/3 schedule after all.

Any opinions on that last bit?

I actually ended up doing 4 weeks of phase 1. Then I took 2 full days off (don't tell Tony haha) before starting phase 2.
My reasoning for doing 4 weeks is that at the end of week 3, I was finally getting a hold of all these new moves. I could almost do full sets without having to check the TV screen or move the balls or my feet etc. So stoping there and starting new workouts for phase 2 felt like all that hard work went to waste. I went for one last week where I was able to do the moves with good form and also to up my reps by quite a lot. It worked pretty well because I was dead tired at the end of the week and my whole body was sore (especially my legs actually).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So here's my dilemma. We have the 4th off of work this week, and I have a harder time working out on days off. I'm supposed to do my Insanity fitness test tonight and start phase 2 tomorrow. Should I just start phase 2 tonight, and do the fitness test Wednesday?

LaneDS

I actually ended up doing 4 weeks of phase 1. Then I took 2 full days off (don't tell Tony haha) before starting phase 2.
My reasoning for doing 4 weeks is that at the end of week 3, I was finally getting a hold of all these new moves. I could almost do full sets without having to check the TV screen or move the balls or my feet etc. So stoping there and starting new workouts for phase 2 felt like all that hard work went to waste. I went for one last week where I was able to do the moves with good form and also to up my reps by quite a lot. It worked pretty well because I was dead tired at the end of the week and my whole body was sore (especially my legs actually).

Entering into week three, I totally understand why you went with four weeks. I need to take a close look at the schedule and see if I can incorporate some of the phase 1 stuff into phase 2 because I like what phase 1 is doing.

Internet hi 5.

Me too. What are you doing exactly?

3 weeks of Phase 1 from X, recovery week
3 weeks of Phase 2 from X, recovery week
4 weeks of Phase 2 from X2

Still using Pure Cardio as a replacement for Kenpo and the extra day off in X2. Also I'm doing Plyocide instead of Plyo X for the the whole round. What are you doing?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Nike just launched their new Nike+ Training shoe, the Lunar TR+. Has multiple sensors for tracking impacts, balance, effort, etc. New technology for lateral support & cushioning. Seems tailor-made for workouts like Insanity & Asylum. The iOS app looks great, has social features if you're into that sort of thing, and even has a number of workout programs you can follow. I might pick up a pair of these for Asylum in September. I used a pair of Free Runner+s for Insanity and the lateral support wasn't that great, so I'm looking for a better shoe anyway.

Ixian

June 18th - Weighed in at 170.
June 25th - Weighed in at 171.
Today - Weighed in at 168. :D

Total of 20 pounds lost in the two months since I've started P90X and my Intermittent Fasting diet. The arbitrary goal weight I picked was 150 but based on my looks so far I think I'm gonna end up around 140 or so. Still so much to do!

Starting recovery week today. I feel like I should be doing another week of what I've already been doing, but I'll have trust in the program and go along with it.

Ixian

Starting recovery week today. I feel like I should be doing another week of what I've already been doing, but I'll have trust in the program and go along with it.
If you're talking about P90X then yeah, trust in the recovery week. If you're doing the classic program then it's your first exposure to Core Synergistics, which is a fantastic workout.

eosos

Banned
Starting second rest week now. Getting good results so far, definitely a ton stronger. Still don't have a 6 pack though unfortunately. Guess I gotta really step it up during the third phase.

edit: To the guy a couple above me, Core Syn is probably my favorite workout, enjoy.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nike just launched their new Nike+ Training shoe, the Lunar TR+. Has multiple sensors for tracking impacts, balance, effort, etc. New technology for lateral support & cushioning. Seems tailor-made for workouts like Insanity & Asylum. The iOS app looks great, has social features if you're into that sort of thing, and even has a number of workout programs you can follow. I might pick up a pair of these for Asylum in September. I used a pair of Free Runner+s for Insanity and the lateral support wasn't that great, so I'm looking for a better shoe anyway.

I need Insanity/P90X shoes badly and these look pretty good, $120 though...

What shoes do you all use? I have Reebok Realflex for running but they are way too narrow for lateral and jumping.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really feel like doing Core Syn sometime soon. Maybe I'll replace a Cardio with it this week or something.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
3 weeks of Phase 1 from X, recovery week
3 weeks of Phase 2 from X, recovery week
4 weeks of Phase 2 from X2

Still using Pure Cardio as a replacement for Kenpo and the extra day off in X2. Also I'm doing Plyocide instead of Plyo X for the the whole round. What are you doing?

I'm doing P90X Mass schedule. It's similar to the regular schedule, but there's no Kenpo and no Plyo.

This week for example is:

Day 1: Chest Shoulders Triceps
Day 2: Cardio X and Ab Ripper X2
Day 3: Legs and Back
Day 4: Ab Ripper X 2
Day 5: Back and Biceps
Day 6: X2 Yoga
Day 7: Recovery and Mobility

Then the week after that I'll switch Legs and Back with Base and Back. I'll do the same when it's time to do other similar workouts like Chest and Back with Chest Back and Balance.

The only thing I'll miss is Plyocide, which is my favorite X workout. Apparently this monster burns too many calories, and that's something I don't need on this schedule that much.

LaneDS

A day with only ab ripper? That feels like cheating! Granted, the rest looks like it'd be pretty crushing on the body, so a 16 minute workout makes sense.

I'm doing P90X Mass schedule. It's similar to the regular schedule, but there's no Kenpo and no Plyo.

This week for example is:

Day 1: Chest Shoulders Triceps
Day 2: Cardio X and Ab Ripper X2
Day 3: Legs and Back
Day 4: Ab Ripper X 2
Day 5: Back and Biceps
Day 6: X2 Yoga
Day 7: Recovery and Mobility

Then the week after that I'll switch Legs and Back with Base and Back. I'll do the same when it's time to do other similar workouts like Chest and Back with Chest Back and Balance.

The only thing I'll miss is Plyocide, which is my favorite X workout. Apparently this monster burns too many calories, and that's something I don't need on this schedule that much.

Interesting. Looks challenging. I've been considering just doing Ab ripper X2 this whole round...

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished Chest Shoulders and Triceps. Man, I forgot how relentlessly hard this workout is. To make things worse, my arms felt weird today (more tired than usual).

That combination of 2 speed push-ups followed by Y presses is just insane.

And also post ones where people buy a little machine to get fake abs!

One of my favorites

fwtEX.jpg

Happy Birthday to you and Tony.

Happy Birthday, and to Tony as well!

Mine's wednesday :D
Thank you! ^ Happy BDay to you too.

Currently on vacation in Punta Cana so the last few days have been pretty rough. Waaaaay too much food and drinking :).
Thankfully the resort has a decent gym. Although, Im not sure yet what I'll do in place of plyo tomorrow. A lot of the elliptical/treadmill/bike I suppose.

Top Bottom