• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Ixian

You can just pause the video during pull-ups too. :b I pause at the beginning, go pump out a bunch, unpause real quick, then go do a few extras.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Speaking of pull-ups, I finally found a place to install one. Today was PAP Upper day, so I tried the towel pull-ups in the second complex. Holy shit is that stuff hard.

Can't wait to do the other workouts with "easier" pull-ups and chin-ups like ches and back.

Detox

I'm looking at powerblocks for P90x and was wondering which ones are recommended all the code names are confusing and does anyone know a cheap place to get them in the UK because the ones I'm looking at are around £350.

LaneDS

I'm looking at powerblocks for P90x and was wondering which ones are recommended all the code names are confusing and does anyone know a cheap place to get them in the UK because the ones I'm looking at are around £350.

Can't speak for all the other models, but I bought these for P90X (and X2) and love them so far:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12586133

My roommate purchased the same ones and he also was immediately convinced of their worth.

This thread has a distinct lack of people bringing it today. I am leaving work now, going home, and doing X2 Total Body and Ab Ripper, which was a monster of a workout last week (took me about two hours to complete!). Excited.

FOOTE

I have legs and back + ARX tonight. Work and the heat have me exhausted right now.. argh This is definitely one of those times that I have to do ARX first. Otherwise I WILL skip the SOB after the main workout.

edit -I went move for move in ARX and Legs with over 120 pull ups -crushed it tonight. *somehow*

LaneDS

I have legs and back + ARX tonight. Work and the heat have me exhausted right now.. argh This is definitely one of those times that I have to do ARX first. Otherwise I WILL skip the SOB after the main workout.

edit -I went move for move in ARX and Legs with over 120 pull ups -crushed it tonight. *somehow*

That's great! Finished total body and ARX2 tonight and commented on how I still couldn't do anywhere near all of ARX1, so that's very impressive. Were all your pull ups unassisted? Couldn't do that either!

nekura- did you try the kenpo x + weighted gloves yet? I definitely enjoyed it and can see myself using ankle weights and heavier weights whenever I get around to doing another P90X rotation (though honestly, I'll probably do Insanity after X2 and then start hybridizing things).

oatmeal

Banned

This is where I am today.

I'm way behind on Pull Ups, though...last time I did it, i was able to do a lot more than I can now.

I just did ABX and dominated it. Best one I've ever done. Gonna do Legs/Back after dinner.

EDIT:
On day 18 (if my math is correct), I've only lost a couple of pounds, but clothes are definitely looser already.

Ixian

nekura- did you try the kenpo x + weighted gloves yet? I definitely enjoyed it and can see myself using ankle weights and heavier weights whenever I get around to doing another P90X rotation (though honestly, I'll probably do Insanity after X2 and then start hybridizing things).
Just finished up. My heart rate was higher across the board, and the individual exercises were definitely more challenging to the point where my arms were exhausted at the end of some of the punch routines, but I'm still not impressed by the numbers. I'm going to sub in Pure Cardio during my next scheduled Kenpo X routine to see what I get out of that and make a decision then.

LaneDS

Just finished up. My heart rate was higher across the board, and the individual exercises were definitely more challenging to the point where my arms were exhausted at the end of some of the punch routines, but I'm still not impressed by the numbers. I'm going to sub in Pure Cardio during my next scheduled Kenpo X routine to see what I get out of that and make a decision then.

Pretty sure pure cardio will destroy kenpo, even though it's maybe 20-25 minutes shorter... it's so damn hard.

oatmeal

Banned
Legs and Back done.

I did well...my pullups are weak still. I feel like last time I was way further ahead.

Right now I can do like 3x reverse grip pull up and 2 of the others before I switch to the chair. I'M A GODDAMN PUSSY.

daemissary

Legs and Back done.

I did well...my pullups are weak still. I feel like last time I was way further ahead.

Right now I can do like 3x reverse grip pull up and 2 of the others before I switch to the chair. I'M A GODDAMN PUSSY.

I've got issues with my pull ups too. I'm on my 2nd time through P90x in the 7th week and I've seen substantial improvement on all of the exercises since I've started except my pullups.

For some reason, I've been stuck at around 6-8 pullups per set for like the past 12 or so weeks. Any suggestions on what I should do to get over this hump?

oatmeal

Banned
I've got issues with my pull ups too. I'm on my 2nd time through P90x in the 7th week and I've seen substantial improvement on all of the exercises since I've started except my pullups.

For some reason, I've been stuck at around 6-8 pullups per set for like the past 12 or so weeks. Any suggestions on what I should do to get over this hump?

STOP BEING A PUSSY LIKE ME!

6-8 isn't bad.

Just do your best and..........

stop being a pussy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You guys will get there, do not get discouraged. Your arms are going to be getting progressively tougher in almost every workout. Keep at it! Pull-up improvements feel the most radical over time in my opinion. I just broke 20 chin-ups for the first time, a huge milestone for me. I could literally do a one- barely- on my first day.

On another less positive note, for the Assault users out there, I seriously screwed myself over tonight. I loaded up on assault, waited 20 minutes, then did ARX first, then a small break, then Legs and Back, but with more pauses than usual (I usually don't hit pause at all during workouts). In total the workout sequence took about 45 minutes longer than it typically does for me. I could literally feel the exact point at which the Assault wore off in the middle of some of the lunges- it felt like someone was draining the air out of my muscles. I felt ridiculously thirsty and ended up drinking too much during the remainder of the workout and felt pretty nauseated and had a pain in my side by the end. Felt totally out of it following the workout and I'm just now drinking my recovery drink and feel like I've snapped back in.

I'm sure if you were used to training longer after having Assault it wouldn't be so noticeable but I really felt the break in routine. Anyway long and short of it is, be consistent with how long you train after consuming Assault lest you feel the bizarre sensation of it wearing off mid-workout.

Ill Saint

If you haven't seen progress on your pull-ups for 3 whole months, then either you've hit some major mental barrier, or you've found your physical limit. Try and get in an extra rep on the first few exercises and build from there in the following weeks. I can kind of relate, however, as for the last month I haven't been able to improve on 15 reps per set.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you haven't seen progress on your pull-ups for 3 whole months, then either you've hit some major mental barrier, or you've found your physical limit. Try and get in an extra rep on the first few exercises and build from there in the following weeks. I can kind of relate, however, as for the last month I haven't been able to improve on 15 reps per set.

True... I hit a plateau on pull-ups during the latter half of phase 2 and first half of phase 3, then was able to finally break it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
About to do legs & back / ARX, day 20. Regarding pull ups and chin ups -- I do as many unassisted as I can, then do jump-ups with negatives, then start using my chin-up max assist band. As many as I can of each. Numbers aren't that high but, you know, do your best and forget the rest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh by the way, I've decided that after day 30 of this cycle, I'll be tearing off my pull-up assist thing and going to unassisted only from now on. I love the thing and it really made a huge difference in my confidence but I'm getting ready to just rely on myself despite the lower numbers I'll get.

So when that goes down, I'll gladly send anybody in this thread who wants the thing for half price (or just the cost of shipping if you're really low on funds and need some help with pull-ups). This thread shared it with me in the first place so it's the least I can do :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Oh by the way, I've decided that after day 30 of this cycle, I'll be tearing off my pull-up assist thing and going to unassisted only from now on. I love the thing and it really made a huge difference in my confidence but I'm getting ready to just rely on myself despite the lower numbers I'll get.

So when that goes down, I'll gladly send anybody in this thread who wants the thing for half price (or just the cost of shipping if you're really low on funds and need some help with pull-ups). This thread shared it with me in the first place so it's the least I can do :)

I'd keep it. Max out on normal reps, then bang out assisted ones. And when you can do 20 unassisted, start adding weight :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm... I'd have thought it would be better to max out on lower reps by adding weight (like a backpack or weighted vest) and doing unassisted ones to failure. Bad instinct?

Kenpo later today! I need to get some weighted gloves, because that sounds awesome.
I just have wrist/ankle weights, but it is indeed awesome. Turns it from a medium-intensity cardio workout to a great burn IMO. When you take the weights off at the end after goku punches-er, vertical punches- you feel borderline superhuman.

owlbeak

I just have wrist/ankle weights, but it is indeed awesome. Turns it from a medium-intensity cardio workout to a great burn IMO. When you take the weights off at the end after goku punches-er, vertical punches- you feel borderline superhuman.
Nice! I'll have to look into that when I get my next unemployment check. :(

I rock at Kenpo, during breaks I do jumping jacks the whole time and then the X jumps. It really kicks up the heart rate, especially when you get into some of the latter moves that will drop you out of your zone.

Here's a picture of my fat hairy-as-a-gorilla arm that I took on day 3 of p90x. It should be noted that I have been doing p90x on-and-off for some time I built a lot of the muscle I have doing that + machine weights.

2m4f5zq.jpg

I'm looking forward to finishing the 90 days (which will probably take me 112 days due to me being lazy) and seeing where I am then.

LaneDS

Nice! I'll have to look into that when I get my next unemployment check. :(

I rock at Kenpo, during breaks I do jumping jacks the whole time and then the X jumps. It really kicks up the heart rate, especially when you get into some of the latter moves that will drop you out of your zone.

Good luck dude... I have to imagine what you're doing in here, physically, will help you mentally in many other ways.

Hawkian, you are a posting machine (and also apparently, not an actual hawk, which is weird). I've never actually felt that Assault crash that you mentioned, that's kind of odd. I've also often times taken the drink and not started until 60 minutes later+ (not my ideal, but sometimes I'll drink it as like a method to force myself to start, and then continue to procrastinate anyway). Just be careful, but you knew that anyway.

Napoleon- welcome, and good luck! Take more pictures of yourself for your own reference... you will straight up amaze yourself with the results I imagine.

burnfout- that is normal! If you are doing the workouts with good weight and intensity, and you're eating right, you're doing what you gotta do and likely just getting a whole lot stronger. You'll see the difference. I've never worked out so hard in my life for the last 100+ days, and eaten well, and I've lost a lot less weight than I have with other types of weight loss programs. I also have muscles in my body I didn't know existed, and it feels awesome. The scale is stupid (and yet I still curse it every morning despite this advice, ahem).

This thread has the proper amount of bringing it today, all is well.

owlbeak

Good luck dude... I have to imagine what you're doing in here, physically, will help you mentally in many other ways.
It has been the best decision I've made since getting laid off in April. I wish I would have started in April, because I'd be on day 60. :) But it helps a lot with getting my mind off of stuff, especially money issues, and gives me a much needed structure day-to-day. Even if I have nothing else to do all day besides the daily job search, it helps to know at 4pm it's P90X time. No excuses.

Good luck to everyone who are just now starting, or are getting ready to start on July 1st. I'll give you the advice someone gave me, don't leave this thread! Check in daily if you can, and just post what day you're on and that you've completed your exercise for the day. I do that and it really helps me out. I miss a day here and there, but I find it gives you a sense of accountability, even if there is none! There's a lot of positivity in here and it's awesome. If you have any questions, ask! Plenty of folks who can help out.

embalm

Hmm... I'd have thought it would be better to max out on lower reps by adding weight (like a backpack or weighted vest) and doing unassisted ones to failure. Bad instinct?
It really depends on how many you're getting too. If you're cranking through the pull ups and still getting 10 to 15 unassisted by the end of Back days, then you probably don't need it.
If you're hitting 2 or 3 by the end, then do use it.
I only got up to 14 unassisted, but that was at the beginning of the workout. By the end I was using the chair, but still hitting those numbers.

At the end of the day, it's all a matter of what feels right to you.

LaneDS

I finish P90X2 tomorrow, and on Sunday, I'll test my performance results running a 5K I recently joined. Wish me luck!

Good luck! Do you have previous 5K numbers to compare to? Either way, you should be a beast and your numbers will reflect that. Unless it's a billion fucking degrees out, yuck.

Oh shit, almost page 100 for us 50 posts per page pleebs. Go us!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, you are a posting machine (and also apparently, not an actual hawk, which is weird). I've never actually felt that Assault crash that you mentioned, that's kind of odd. I've also often times taken the drink and not started until 60 minutes later+ (not my ideal, but sometimes I'll drink it as like a method to force myself to start, and then continue to procrastinate anyway). Just be careful, but you knew that anyway.
I don't think it's exactly a function of how long you wait before starting, but of throwing off the routine and screwing up water intake. I normally had it down to a pretty consistent pace/duration/amount of water, and almost doubling the workout time really threw me off. Drinking too much during workouts was awful even before using Assault, but with that 16oz starting off...

Also, I am actually a hawk. I can only assume this form for two hours at a time then I have to morph back.

Thanks for the advice embalm- I'll see where I'm at when this 30 day stretch is over.

oatmeal

Banned
Kenpo-X today...then my rest day (I will run 2.5 miles) and then I'm into my first recovery week.

I'm absolutely dreading Coresyn.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Good luck! Do you have previous 5K numbers to compare to? Either way, you should be a beast and your numbers will reflect that. Unless it's a billion fucking degrees out, yuck.

Oh shit, almost page 100 for us 50 posts per page pleebs. Go us!

Yeah, I used to run 2 years ago and log my records with the iOS Nike app. My best result at that time was a 5k in 38 minutes.

I'm really looking forward to see how I perform this Sunday. The only 2 things that concern me right now is that the route for this 5K seems rough (lots of hills) and altitude sickness.

I'm gonna do my last PAP Lower today, which will be a great training workout for the race.

There's an annoyance I could use some advice with. I'm having good progress with my abs (day 59 of Insanity tomorrow):

TqZpR.jpg

But when I'm sitting down, or bending over, or in a crunch position, I still get a lot of rolls and folds. The guys I'm watching in the video, however, don't -- at least not as much.

LJm2a.jpg

Is there anything I can do about it? Do I just need to get rid of more fat?

PS, yep, I know my chest is kinda weak. I'm starting up X2 on Monday, and yep, I'm really pale. Going to Mexico on the 13th.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My Yizzoga block came, woo!

edit: ^Dude, come on. I'm contending with exactly the same thing and I'd kill to be at where you're at already :p Nothing that can be done about it specifically, just lowering body fat as you mentioned.

D23

so i did asylum yesterday for the first time.. holy shit thats all i can say!
it makes insanity sooooooooo damn easy.. even the max workout is pale compared to asylum speed and agility!!

cant wait until i finished asylum so i can do a hybrid p90x/x2/asylum

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
so i did asylum yesterday for the first time.. holy shit thats all i can say!
it makes insanity sooooooooo damn easy.. even the max workout is pale compared to asylum speed and agility!!

cant wait until i finished asylum so i can do a hybrid p90x/x2/asylum

Asylum 2 is in the works. Shaun T posted a teaser picture on FB today.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
There's an annoyance I could use some advice with. I'm having good progress with my abs (day 59 of Insanity tomorrow):

TqZpR.jpg

But when I'm sitting down, or bending over, or in a crunch position, I still get a lot of rolls and folds. The guys I'm watching in the video, however, don't -- at least not as much.

LJm2a.jpg

Is there anything I can do about it? Do I just need to get rid of more fat?

PS, yep, I know my chest is kinda weak. I'm starting up X2 on Monday, and yep, I'm really pale. Going to Mexico on the 13th.

Don't worry mate, the first phase of X2 is amazing when it comes to ripping your core section.

owlbeak

Week 5, Day 5 done!

Kenpo was a sweatfest today thanks to the 100+ degree weather outside and my window air conditioner struggling to keep one room at 80 degrees. Time for water and an ice pack!

I know you guys will be tired after legs and back, but honestly, add some body weight squats to it at the end before the final stretch. I've been incorporating a few things from Starting Strength and let's just say the workouts feel really satisfying.

I've been able to see some back muscle improvements.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know you guys will be tired after legs and back, but honestly, add some body weight squats to it at the end before the final stretch. I've been incorporating a few things from Starting Strength and let's just say the workouts feel really satisfying.

I've been able to see some back muscle improvements.
Is that = to Dead Lift Squats?

LaneDS

Yeah, I used to run 2 years ago and log my records with the iOS Nike app. My best result at that time was a 5k in 38 minutes.

I'm really looking forward to see how I perform this Sunday. The only 2 things that concern me right now is that the route for this 5K seems rough (lots of hills) and altitude sickness.

I'm gonna do my last PAP Lower today, which will be a great training workout for the race.

I'd bet money that you're going to dominate that time; guessing you'll do sub-30 minutes without issue.

Battersea- Like Hawkian said, it's just a matter of continuing to burn more fat. That said, good job! I'd be happy with my midsection looking like that at this point, as I've still got a nice layer of flub around my stomach and man teets (I guess the layer of flub is the teets, but y'all dig).

I'm not sure how I feel about X3 coming so soon after X2, considering how long the gap was between the first two. Has Tony said why this is happening? I mean, more workouts to choose from is ultimately great but it sort of feels like a cash grab too. Money well spent, of course, but I'm curious all the same.

I did X2 yoga earlier today and was just straight up wrecked- I attribute it to doing my second X2 Total Body yesterday and upping my weights and reps considerably in many cases (thank you Powerblocks and knowledge of the workouts!), so yoga was painful today. Spent some time laying out in the sun and swimming afterwards, which I haven't felt ok enough with myself to do in years.

My two fitness goals (half-jokingly) are "successfully complete Tough Mudder" and "make people envious at the pool", and I have a long way to go for both.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, I reaaaaaallly hate the P90X/Beachbody site sometimes. For the second time, I got an email saying my "order" shipped. I haven't placed any order, and there's no way to discover what's being sent or if I was charged something. Grrrumble. -_-

I havent had that happen before... but i concur that the site doesnt make it easy to see what exactly you order.

Guess they are sending you something free/on the house ;)?

My workout week these past few days have sucked. I suffer from Meniere’s disease, a rare disorder of the inner ear where sometimes I get bouts of vertigo. So its been kind of impossible to workout when im stumbling everywhere :/ Doesnt happen to me often, but it usually passes with medication and time. BLEH!

EDIT: And battersea, ur stomach is fine. Mine is the same way.

Top Bottom