• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Out of curiosity, what's the progression of insanity? Like Insanity to Aslyum?

Also, can you do it without the shoes? And how much more jumping is there compared to any of the plyo? I'm concerned about the noise

In any case, I'm down for humbling...

LaneDS

Also, can you do it without the shoes? And how much more jumping is there compared to any of the plyo? I'm concerned about the noise

Pure Cardio, the only one I've done, is definitely not neighbor friendly. I know a couple times the program wants you to "sprint" and I'm like, I'll give it 80% and that'll have to do because I'm not ok stomping at full speed. Guessing the rest is very similar.

Shoes are a must. And it's noisy as hell. Lots of jumping.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Has any more info on it been released? I just saw that one picture from Shaun's FB.

Here's a little info with a video preview from the summit they just had:
http://beachreadybody.com/2012/07/01/the-asylum-2-sneak-preview/

BeautifulMemory, there's a LOT of jumping, and you will want good shoes with plenty of cushioning & lateral support, as well as good toe protection. I haven't done Asylum yet -- tI'm doing it after I finish P90X in September. But P90X Plyometrics has got NOTHING on Max Interval Plyo or Max Interval Circuit (month 2 workouts of Insanity).

I work out on a 1/2" thick foam puzzle mat that sits on top of berber carpeting in my basement. Noise isn't too bad. You have to work on soft landings. But if you're in an apartment above others it will probably be a problem.

Aweww. Thanks everyone one. Yes unfortunately I live upstairs in an old apartment. Shoes make the sound worse. I suppose we will meet again in the far future then insanity...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, I'd recommend reading the LeanGains blog. It's largely about Intermittent Fasting -- I'm not necessarily suggesting you do IF mind you -- but LG revolves around lifting three times a week and not exercising the other days, and eating around that. There is a lot of good information in that blog that might give you a better understanding as to how to approach things. There's also RippedBody.jp, which is again about the LeanGains-style of Intermittent Fasting, but written in a more digestible format. Again, not suggesting you follow the diet (though I like it a lot), but the information in those blogs is invaluable.
Whoa, that stuff is really intimidating. Might be a good idea for me to follow something stricter, though...

I had to quit Insanity because the asshole in the apartment below me was bitching about the noise.

I still do it when I'm traveling, though. It's great for hotel rooms.

Ixian

Whoa, that stuff is really intimidating. Might be a good idea for me to follow something stricter, though...
Well, I wasn't even necessarily saying you should follow something stricter, though obviously that wouldn't be a bad thing. :) There's just a lot of good fitness information to be had at both of those blogs even if you don't follow the diet regiments they lay out for you. I definitely feel like things improved for me once I started making decisions based on stuff I read in those blogs. I do love the 16 hour fast/8 hour eating cycle though!

embalm

Just a repeat of what everyone else has already said, Insanity is about 75% jumping or running of some sort. You will make tons of noise on the upper floors.

@Deadly Cyclone
Asylum is focused on sport themed exercises. Both Asylum & Insanity are cardio heavy. I can't compare difficulty since I'm only half way done with Insanity, but I hear Asylum is a little harder. Asylum does require some equipment, but I think it's optional and comes with the dvds.

KlotePino

Holy hell I just did Plyo X for the first time and you guys weren't lying, I thought I might have an easier time since I weigh about a 140 lbs but that workout just beat me. This is what I remember:

1. I hate the runsquat 180's or mostly they just came up everytime I really couldn't take it for a second in the second half.
2. I always wanna jump up tempo when they do the jump knee tucks thing but I regret that everytime also the pounding on the ground makes me feel like a dumbass.
3. I'm never doing a 180 during twist combo again, felt like I was getting a little lightheaded there

I really wanna do this till the end but it's gonna be tough for me since I'm pretty much the laziest least disciplined person alive. I'm trying to change though and hopefully this can be one of the ways.

I'm on a break right now and I don't have a lot of contact hours during college time so I can fit it in pretty easily but major props to the guys doing this that come home from a 9-5 job or something else intensive just to do this workout. I didn't do shit all day but watch White Collar and this still has me tired to hell.

And now I gotta muster up the energy to meet friends and get that beerbelly that even P90X can't do anything about.

Oh and are shoes really required? I was pretty much in my underwear near the end of the whole thing. Is it actually bad for me or is it just about not making it harder than it has to be?

Ixian

Oh and are shoes really required? I was pretty much in my underwear near the end of the whole thing. Is it actually bad for me or is it just about not making it harder than it has to be?
I highly recommend shoes. I did my first run through Insanity barefoot and ended up messing up my heels as a result, which is admittedly partially due to poor form but shoes would've prevented it.

owlbeak

I think you should probably wear some, but I don't and I don't really have any issues.

I find it easier to land silently without shoes on, which is a big deal for me being in an apartment with neighbors below me.

burnfout

Wow I really brought in during Plyo X today. 3rd week in phase 1.

I jumped higher than ever, and did every exercise longer than ever.

After 30 minutes I was so dead I almost wanted to quit. But I took a 30 second break, sitting on the floor :)

After that I finished it to the last second. Felt awesome. Next week recovery week.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think you should probably wear some, but I don't and I don't really have any issues.

I find it easier to land silently without shoes on, which is a big deal for me being in an apartment with neighbors below me.
All of the above for me as well. I've been doing P90 workouts for a year now, and haven't worn shoes for any of them... I'm pretty light on my feet. No issues yet. *knocks on wood*

OchreHand

Man, just did Core Synergistic for the first time. I liked it by the end (and was drenched), but did anyone else feel really awkward?

Edit: Oh-- I don't do plyo with shoes on, either :p I'm on carpet and I make sure I land "like a cat." Fortunately my neighbors haven't said anything.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Man, just did Core Synergistic for the first time. I liked it by the end (and was drenched), but did anyone else feel really awkward?
What do you mean by awkward? I think it's a great workout, but I always feel like I'm going to crush my balls when I do Bow to Boat. :x

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Arrrrrrg. After all this time, I still can't do more than one unmodified one-arm, plyo, or one-arm balance pushup in C/S/T. mannnnn

vatstep

Arrrrrrg. After all this time, I still can't do more than one unmodified one-arm, plyo, or one-arm balance pushup in C/S/T. mannnnn
The balance push-ups are actually the move from that workout that I'm best at, probably — might have something to do with the fact that I've been doing yoga for a while, although my arms always almost give out by the end. Don't feel too bad, though, because the other two I can't do for shit. I'm sort of convinced that Tony doing the "psycho boy" version of plyo push-ups for the whole duration is actually CG or something. Inhuman.

eosos

Banned
Holy hell I just did Plyo X for the first time and you guys weren't lying, I thought I might have an easier time since I weigh about a 140 lbs but that workout just beat me. This is what I remember:

1. I hate the runsquat 180's or mostly they just came up everytime I really couldn't take it for a second in the second half.
2. I always wanna jump up tempo when they do the jump knee tucks thing but I regret that everytime also the pounding on the ground makes me feel like a dumbass.
3. I'm never doing a 180 during twist combo again, felt like I was getting a little lightheaded there

I really wanna do this till the end but it's gonna be tough for me since I'm pretty much the laziest least disciplined person alive. I'm trying to change though and hopefully this can be one of the ways.

I'm on a break right now and I don't have a lot of contact hours during college time so I can fit it in pretty easily but major props to the guys doing this that come home from a 9-5 job or something else intensive just to do this workout. I didn't do shit all day but watch White Collar and this still has me tired to hell.

And now I gotta muster up the energy to meet friends and get that beerbelly that even P90X can't do anything about.

Keep it up yo. Also, plyo x is nothing compared to core syn when it comes to light-headedness, for me at least. Whatever though, just push through it and deal.

OchreHand

What do you mean by awkward? I think it's a great workout, but I always feel like I'm going to crush my balls when I do Bow to Boat. :x

I think part of it was feeling really unsure if my form is correct, especially during the sphinx and staggered pushups--

but by the end, I definitely felt it everywhere. hopefully that means I did it right :p

FOOTE

Love these posts. Keep it up brother, you'll get there.

vatstep

So am I. To be honest, even though I've been working out six days a week with these programs for a year now, I still don't really like exercise. If I could get away with not doing it (aside from walking everywhere, which I love), I probably wouldn't. BUT, if you keep at it, it simply becomes routine and a part of your life. I couldn't imagine just quitting at this point. The first few weeks or even months will be tough, but keep at it and your mindset will definitely change.

Ill Saint

Oh and are shoes really required?

I do plyo or any other exercise without shoes or at least minimal footwear whenever possible, but my feet and legs and tendons have been conditioned and strengthened over a long period of time. Doing jumps, squats, runs etc. barefoot without easing into it is asking for all sorts of trouble.

I absolutely do recommend going barefoot, but first do some reading about it on the net and see if you think it might be for you. Just do not all of a sudden decide to do plyo unshod or you could very well end up with a fucked achiles or something.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
First glimpse at a P90X 3 move?

293784_10151013191977248_391376762_n.jpg

I'm planning to start on the first day of the P90X Leans Schedule tonight in about two hours, so that I can get this dinner out of the way before I begin.

My primary goal is to improve my cardio (otherwise I wouldn't bother starting with Leans to begin with). Like I mentioned previously in this thread, I've had problems with getting enough oxygen in previous attempts at the P90X series, so I figured that I needed to attack this weakness head on. I hope that by the end of the program, I'll be able to finish Cardio X without needing to stop once (Plyometrics sounds far too ambitious). Then afterwards I'll be able to move on to the standard program (and following that, doubles).

I don't expect muscle gain nor do I expect significant weight loss (although if either happens, great). I just simply want to be able to finish exercises without the feeling that I'm breathing in mostly CO2 throughout it all.

First up: Core Synergistics.

oatmeal

Banned
Kenpo Week 5 complete...heading into Day 25 with some serious momentum. The only fuck up day was when I was stuck in the Pittsburgh airport for 20+ hours.

Feeling great, losing some of that goop that gunk that nasty garbage.

Ixian

Just had a pretty crazy dinner!

- A low carb wrap with two beef patties, egg whites with diced green and red peppers, pepperjack cheese, and chipotle sauce.
- A bowl of steel cut oats with blueberries and a strawberry.
- Cookies and Creme protein shake.
- Greek yogurt.
- Some dark chocolate almonds.

Feeling pretty good after day 1 of Chest and Back in month three; pretty much doubled my numbers from month one on a lot of exercises, though I still suck at unassisted pullups. :( Was pretty toasted by Ab Ripper X2 though, and still can't stop laughing when Tony yells at Bobby about the gap between his elbow and knee at the end of the video.

Sleeping in is going to be great! \o/

mehdi_san

I wish more people posted progress pics.
Ok I think I'll post some when I get home tonight.
//P90X// Day 1:
6fqHH.jpg
Day30:
1tUjE.jpg

Day 60:
O28EX.jpg
Day 90:
MZXkQ.jpg

//P90X2// Day 1:
tWMcf.jpg
Day 30:
cJ7Xs.jpg

I went for this series of front facing pics, because you can easily see the change on my abs, pecs, biceps, etc. But it doesn't really show how BIG my belly was when I started... I am almost ashamed to post a shot from the side, just looking back at it now feels surreal.

Time for some PLYOCIDE NOW!!!

KlotePino

Ok I think I'll post some when I get home tonight.

Awesome progress! Did you follow the diet aswell or did you just do the exercises?

vatstep said:
So am I. To be honest, even though I've been working out six days a week with these programs for a year now, I still don't really like exercise. If I could get away with not doing it (aside from walking everywhere, which I love), I probably wouldn't. BUT, if you keep at it, it simply becomes routine and a part of your life. I couldn't imagine just quitting at this point. The first few weeks or even months will be tough, but keep at it and your mindset will definitely change.

Thanks for the honesty, Some people are very convincing at making me believe I'll love this stuff by the end and although working up a sweat definitely feels nice it's still a significant chunk out of my day and so far Chest & Back just makes me feel horribly inadequate with all the chin ups and push ups which I can only do 2-3 unassisted ones of each day.

Also I love this little P90X community since I haven't been able to convince anyone to do it with me yet.

mehdi_san

Awesome progress! Did you follow the diet aswell or did you just do the exercises?

For P90X, I didn't really follow the diet plan (kinda regret it now). But I did what Tony said and I threw all the crap food from the house (snacks and chips, Coke, chocolates, etc.). But I still had regular meals 3 times a day, with way too much carbs (every meal here in Japan consists of lots of rice and almost no meat nor vegetables...).
For P90X2, I tried to follow the diet plan for phase 1, which is 50% proteins, 25% fat and 25% carbs. Used the myfitnesspal app on my iPhone to get a very rough estimate of what I needed to eat and followed that every weekday (with a couple cheat meals on weekends, like sushi with coworkers). By the way, to reach that 50% proteins a day, I ended up taking a whey protein shake (with water only, less calories) with every meal, so 5 times a day...

KlotePino

For P90X, I didn't really follow the diet plan (kinda regret it now). But I did what Tony said and I threw all the crap food from the house (snacks and chips, Coke, chocolates, etc.). But I still had regular meals 3 times a day, with way too much carbs (every meal here in Japan consists of lots of rice and almost no meat nor vegetables...).
For P90X2, I tried to follow the diet plan for phase 1, which is 50% proteins, 25% fat and 25% carbs. Used the myfitnesspal app on my iPhone to get a very rough estimate of what I needed to eat and followed that every weekday (with a couple cheat meals on weekends, like sushi with coworkers). By the way, to reach that 50% proteins a day, I ended up taking a whey protein shake (with water only, less calories) with every meal, so 5 times a day...

Judging from your pictures I guess the diet really does make a difference because it seems like you lost a lot of weight in that first month of P90X2. I still have some Whey Protein shake powder lying around so I'm probably gonna start drinking that once a day. I don't think I'm in a position to follow the diet right now unfortunately but maybe I can get into it down the line.

LaneDS

Nice work mehdi_san! Like you said, you can see definite improvement in a lot of areas there. Keep it up and you'll be straight up cut before you know it.

Happy fourth everyone, I wish you all a day of bringing it well (I will not be bringing it today).

KingGondo

Banned
I'm planning to start on the first day of the P90X Leans Schedule tonight in about two hours, so that I can get this dinner out of the way before I begin.

My primary goal is to improve my cardio (otherwise I wouldn't bother starting with Leans to begin with). Like I mentioned previously in this thread, I've had problems with getting enough oxygen in previous attempts at the P90X series, so I figured that I needed to attack this weakness head on. I hope that by the end of the program, I'll be able to finish Cardio X without needing to stop once (Plyometrics sounds far too ambitious). Then afterwards I'll be able to move on to the standard program (and following that, doubles).

I don't expect muscle gain nor do I expect significant weight loss (although if either happens, great). I just simply want to be able to finish exercises without the feeling that I'm breathing in mostly CO2 throughout it all.

First up: Core Synergistics.
Good luck!

I'm almost done with my Lean program, so feel free to post questions.

A couple suggestions that helped me:
- Do Ab Ripper X before your resistance workouts, not after. You'll progress faster and see better results.
- Make sure to have some kind of recovery drink after--I drink a cup 1% chocolate milk after every workout.
- Get plenty of sleep and eat well, and the program will be much more enjoyable.
- Kenpo X is fun and effective for cardio at first, but don't be afraid to replace it with Cardio X or even Plyo down the road once you're not feeling the burn.
- Since you're emphasizing cardio, a heart rate monitor is a must. The Omron one on Amazon works great and is only about $35.

And FWIW, you'll still put on muscle and lose *some* weight if you Bring It and watch your diet. And you'll see an even more drastic change in your body shape, even if the weight isn't melting away like it would in Insanity.

mehdi_san

Judging from your pictures I guess the diet really does make a difference because it seems like you lost a lot of weight in that first month of P90X2. I still have some Whey Protein shake powder lying around so I'm probably gonna start drinking that once a day. I don't think I'm in a position to follow the diet right now unfortunately but maybe I can get into it down the line.
Get some eggs too, it's a cheap and easy way to get more proteins in your diet :)

Nice work mehdi_san! Like you said, you can see definite improvement in a lot of areas there. Keep it up and you'll be straight up cut before you know it.

Happy fourth everyone, I wish you all a day of bringing it well (I will not be bringing it today).
Thanks man :) Started phase 2 and it feels good to be back to lifting and doing push ups and pull ups.
And happy fourth of July to all of you in the US!

Ixian

Hey does anyone replace kenpo x with something else? I think it blows.

Harry Potter replaces it with Pure Cardio from Insanity and I'm going to give that a go this week as well. If you want to make Kenpo X more challenging I recommend wearing weighted gloves.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Day 24 Kenpo X destroyed. Super intense throughout. Burned 762 calories today. I feel like a million bucks! SPIRIT YELL!!

I still love this workout. I am going to buy some weighted gloves or hand weights but I think 90% of the benefit from Kenpo X is what you bring to it.

Top Bottom