• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Bradlums

Hey does anyone replace kenpo x with something else? I think it blows.

I go for a 7-8 mile run instead. Pushes my cardio a lot harder than kenpo every could. Wouldn't recommend running too much though, I got carried away and ended up dropping a few pounds in the past couple weeks :(

I have accepted that no amount of exercise will ever get me looking in good shape. My incredibly shitty diet and fussy eating habits have made sure of that. Certainly I feel better for the exercise I do, but that's only half of it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just realized that the lady on the left is Tracy Morrow from Plyocide. She seems to be buds with Ton
Hmm, didn't realize she was in X2, that's kind of neat. She's in a couple of P90 Master Series videos (Sweat 5-6 and Plyo Legs). Tony refers to her as a "P90 success story" — one of those people that won a trip to Hawaii from Beachbody back in the day for having great results. They're the ones from those goofy old commercials at the end of the P90X videos.

I ate like shit last night, so today I did the Fat Burning Express workout before doing Yoga X. Ended up being almost 2.5 hours total, ha. The FBE video is easier than the last time I did it before P90X, but it's still a great workout because there are NO breaks and your heart is pumping for the whole 30 minutes. I modified some of the moves to be more "x-like" and ended up with the best sweat I've had in a while. I also skipped my recovery drink to save on calories, so hopefully the greek yogurt I had an hour after finishing was enough protein for now.

Related question: do you guys do a recovery drink after yoga? I've heard some people don't, but I always have. Unless I'm trying to make up for something, I try to eat the same number of calories every day, so I pretty much have my recovery drink no matter what my workout is (aside from, say, X Stretch).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Today I did Legs and Back with a chinup bar for the first time. Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with my performance. Using bands definitely made me stronger, because I could barely do 2 chin ups with terrible form before. I did 10 now, and it will only go higher from now on.

Also the P90X2 experience increased dramatically my performance in this workout. The super skaters for example, I only tapped the floor once. Same with the deadlift squats and other lunges.

Ixian

Related question: do you guys do a recovery drink after yoga? I've heard some people don't, but I always have. Unless I'm trying to make up for something, I try to eat the same number of calories every day, so I pretty much have my recovery drink no matter what my workout is (aside from, say, X Stretch).
I only drink protein shakes on resistance days. I also try to get more calories and carbs in on those days in general.

LaneDS

After a day of not bringing it (was supposed to do Recovery & Mobility, but instead I did Get Cooked Alive in the Sun, which is a lesser known and less popular video) I intend to bring it today with Total Body after work.

Met some new people in my 4th festivities, one of which said "you look like someone that clearly takes care of themselves" or something along those lines, and I told them thank you but mentioned how they wouldn't have thought that about a hundred days ago. Two days prior a co-worker remarked how I looked like I lost a lot of weight and could see it in my face; these comments are very much appreciated and help validate all the hard work. It becomes difficult for me to see myself and think those things, because I see myself every day and don't really notice the changes since I'm seeing myself daily and also hyper-critical of myself, so it feels good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nice, congrats Lane.

I got a bit of that at the party yesterday, especially from a few people who hadn't seen me since my last birthday party. I should find a comparison pic from that party... (along the lines of "what a difference a year makes" :p). Two people told me they saw a big difference even from a month ago though, which felt really awesome. My dad made another in a long line of funny/annoying comments on how it's "weird I've gotten so skinny," he was like "I guess those bike rides must be doing the trick huh?" Dude. 45-90 minutes of high-intensity training 6 days a week.

LaneDS

Nice, congrats Lane.

I got a bit of that at the party yesterday, especially from a few people who hadn't seen me since my last birthday party. I should find a comparison pic from that party... (along the lines of "what a difference a year makes" :p). Two people told me they saw a big difference even from a month ago though, which felt really awesome. My dad made another in a long line of funny/annoying comments on how it's "weird I've gotten so skinny," he was like "I guess those bike rides must be doing the trick huh?" Dude. 45-90 minutes of high-intensity training 6 days a week.

Very awesome, and yes, please post before (i.e. you at your fattest) and after pictures when you can because I think all of us here like seeing those transitions; still operating here under the idea that I'm going to post a "one year of P90X/X2/Insanity/solid eating" picture about 250 days from now and amaze people/myself.

Ixian

After a day of not bringing it (was supposed to do Recovery & Mobility, but instead I did Get Cooked Alive in the Sun, which is a lesser known and less popular video) I intend to bring it today with Total Body after work.

Met some new people in my 4th festivities, one of which said "you look like someone that clearly takes care of themselves" or something along those lines, and I told them thank you but mentioned how they wouldn't have thought that about a hundred days ago. Two days prior a co-worker remarked how I looked like I lost a lot of weight and could see it in my face; these comments are very much appreciated and help validate all the hard work. It becomes difficult for me to see myself and think those things, because I see myself every day and don't really notice the changes since I'm seeing myself daily and also hyper-critical of myself, so it feels good.
I am not ashamed to admit that when all is said and done (well, it's never done but when I reach my major goal!), I am looking forward to hanging out with friends that have not seen me in person for a long time because they will only have my previous state to compare me to and not the gradient in between. I also regret not taking more pre-P90X body shots, especially of the back area, because it makes me happy that I can see some muscles flexing but I have no idea when they became visible. :(

Hate it but love it type deal: When I was at my previous best in terms of being in shape a few years back, I bought some nice, well-fitting jeans and was excited to be able to wear them again after doing P90X for a bit. Now those same jeans are too loose on me, and while the falling down aspect can be mitigated with a belt they still look too big on me and I've come to appreciate how well-fitting clothes can impact your looks. I still have some XXL t-shirts that I bum around in on weekends (partially because I use my t-shirts as towels when I workout!) and they make me look so fat now, haha. Thank goodness I have a decent paying job so I can afford to eat healthy and buy some new clothes!

Tony himself apparently said the recovery drink's a good idea after any workout
Eh, I don't think it's a bad thing to have a recovery drink but I also don't really feel like it's necessary. I get a lot of protein as part of my normal diet anyway so it's just calories that aren't really satisfying due to being liquid on days when I don't need the protein as much. But on resistance days I want more calories/protein so I'm okay with having one then.

Does anyone have a good print-out calendar for P90X2? I like the "alternate calendar" of the original X. I also used one for Insanity and it helped me a lot in the last 2 weeks. I really wanted to skip days, but I didn't want to break my nice chain of crossed out boxes, and it motivated me to keep at it.

I know it's a little trickier in X2 since the phases are malleable, but I'm checking anyway.

LaneDS

nekura, I see no reason to feel even a little ashamed for wanting to impress people with your hard work, and feel the same in a lot of ways (about hoping to surprise people after they haven't seen me for a while). Keep bringing it!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Eh, I don't think it's a bad thing to have a recovery drink but I also don't really feel like it's necessary. I get a lot of protein as part of my normal diet anyway so it's just calories that aren't really satisfying due to being liquid on days when I don't need the protein as much. But on resistance days I want more calories/protein so I'm okay with having one then.

The recovery drink isn't just about protein -- it's about consuming the optimal ratio of carbs & protein, in the optimal amount, within 30-60 minutes after working out. Optimal for muscle growth and to reduce soreness. And it's supposed to be the only calories you consume within that time window. There's some research behind it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What is with you guys hating Kenpo? I loved kenpo. The main reason being I did it Saturday mornings and it was different enough to not make me dread a morning workout, and intense enough to burn a chunk of calories.

Anywho, I have Insanity Max Cardio Conditioning today, so I'll probably die.

On that Saturday morning note, this second half of Insanity feels impossible for me to do at 100% Saturday AM. If I don't get it done I'll end up running out of time to do it though. Agh!

Moonkeis

New guy here, well I've browsed Neogaf for a long time but finally got my account approved.

I've been on P90X2 for about 4 months now and I've seen good results. I pretty much just try to eat clean most of the time and substituted their shake with BSN Syntha-6. I'll post some before and after images when I get a chance. My plan is to start round 2 after I take 1-2 weeks off.

I think the program has been great so far. I usually don't have time to go to the gym and would rather just do everything at home.

edit: I'll say this...P.A.P seems so simple yet it's been the most painful routines compare to everything else for me.

Ixian

What is with you guys hating Kenpo? I loved kenpo. The main reason being I did it Saturday mornings and it was different enough to not make me dread a morning workout, and intense enough to burn a chunk of calories.

Anywho, I have Insanity Max Cardio Conditioning today, so I'll probably die.

On that Saturday morning note, this second half of Insanity feels impossible for me to do at 100% Saturday AM. If I don't get it done I'll end up running out of time to do it though. Agh!
I don't think Kenpo is a bad workout per se, but I feel like for what I have to put into the workout, I don't get enough out of it. I love pushing myself in workouts but I don't feel like Kenpo X rewards me enough for it.

Don't be afraid of Max Cardio Conditioning by the way, it's not as bad as Pure Cardio (in my opinion at least).

New guy here, well I've browsed Neogaf for a long time but finally got my account approved.
Welcome! I still tend to mostly lurk on other parts of the board myself, but this thread has been great and I love our little community.

The recovery drink isn't just about protein -- it's about consuming the optimal ratio of carbs & protein, in the optimal amount, within 30-60 minutes after working out. Optimal for muscle growth and to reduce soreness. And it's supposed to be the only calories you consume within that time window. There's some research behind it.
As Tony likes to say, do what works for you. :) There are a lot of differing opinions when it comes to nutritional science so you just have to find something you enjoy/is effective for you and stick with it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
As Tony likes to say, do what works for you. :) There are a lot of differing opinions when it comes to nutritional science so you just have to find something you enjoy/is effective for you and stick with it.

Exactly. I don't drink a recovery drink on X Stretch days, and I don't drink Muscle Pharm Assault on non-strength training days.

Anyone here drink green tea? Apparently a cup a day can burn an extra 144 calories. Ive never even tried hot drinks so im skeptical of trying hippy tea.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I forget, have you mentioned in this thread your experiences with Assault? Curious as to what you think of it.

I may have mentioned earlier in the thread, but it does seem to make a difference. You should note though that I work out EARLY. I drink my Assault at about 4:30AM and start working out about 20 minutes later. So I'm drinking it on an empty stomach. I use one half capful in about 12oz of water. I had been using Beachbody's E&E and Assault appears to be more effective.

Infinite_Daremo: I don't drink it, but I take Green Tea Extract capsules, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening, and I saw a definite increase in fat burn once I started. Again it could be coincidental -- I started it about 3 weeks into Insanity -- but without changing much else in my diet or supplementation I did notice I burned fat faster. (That said, I take it for the antioxidants. If it helps me burn more fat, that's a bonus.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I take green tea extract every day, but only one or two capsules. 4 a day, holy crap! I didn't even know there would be an increase in effectiveness by doing that. Love the green tea extract in general though.

So, no Assault before Yoga, then, eh?

Ixian

Anyone here drink green tea? Apparently a cup a day can burn an extra 144 calories. Ive never even tried hot drinks so im skeptical of trying hippy tea.
I used to drink green tea daily, but then I started drinking coffee instead. I still take green tea extract, though.

LaneDS

I take green tea extract every day, but only one or two capsules. 4 a day, holy crap! I didn't even know there would be an increase in effectiveness by doing that. Love the green tea extract in general though.

So, no Assault before Yoga, then, eh?

It's power yoga, so I vote you Assault it. I always do, and I find that it helps.

What brand green tea extract do you use Steve? I tried drinking green tea at work in place of coffee but the caffeine is no substitute unfortunately, but I'd still like the effects green tea supposedly offers. Also, amazing that you work out so early... I could never do that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It's power yoga, so I vote you Assault it. I always do, and I find that it helps.

What brand green tea extract do you use Steve? I tried drinking green tea at work in place of coffee but the caffeine is no substitute unfortunately, but I'd still like the effects green tea supposedly offers. Also, amazing that you work out so early... I could never do that.

I use Sundown Naturals 630mg. Directions say 2 capsules twice daily.

oatmeal

Banned
Ok I think I'll post some when I get home tonight.

I went for this series of front facing pics, because you can easily see the change on my abs, pecs, biceps, etc. But it doesn't really show how BIG my belly was when I started... I am almost ashamed to post a shot from the side, just looking back at it now feels surreal.

Time for some PLYOCIDE NOW!!!

YES!

Great work! Everything looks better. Your body fat has plummeted. Great job.

oatmeal

Banned
Just did CoreSyn on Day 26. I'm going to LA tomorrow so I don't know how I'll fit in Yoga. I might just flip-flop the rest day to tomorrow and do Yoga on Saturday.

Then...Sunday Phase 2 starts!

Imm0rt4l

I'm about to finish up Insanity this weekend. I gotta say, I loathe turning it on every morning, but I feel accomplished in the day having done it. One bad thing though, in my final week I've finally started to feel the effects on my joints. Insanity is pretty rough on the joints. I want to do asylum, but if it's just as harsh on my joints I may need to take a little time off to recover, perhaps p90x?

OchreHand

Just did CoreSyn on Day 26. I'm going to LA tomorrow so I don't know how I'll fit in Yoga. I might just flip-flop the rest day to tomorrow and do Yoga on Saturday.

We're on the same sched. I really can't wait to start Phase2. I've been so crappy on my push ups that my number one goal is to conquer them. I will do more than one diamond pushup !!!
Hopefully

Ixian

We're on the same sched. I really can't wait to start Phase2. I've been so crappy on my push ups that my number one goal is to conquer them. I will do more than one diamond pushup !!!
Hopefully
My pushups were pretty bad during month one. Month two they improved a bit. In month three, where you start doing Chest and Back once again, I had doubled some of my numbers from month one, was able to do diamond pushups with proper form finally AND did better number-wise (had to spread my hands out a bit in month one), and was also able to do dive bomber pushups with proper form (in month one I used German Potato Soup girl's form). I felt fantastic.

D23

pretty sure i had over 5000 calories yesterday.. bbq non stop..
o well time to go back to my regular diet

Hopefully

Pretty much on the same schedule as you bros. Phase 2 starts Monday and I can't wait.

LaneDS

Total Body + ARX2 is such a beast if you bring it... so exhausted in the best way possible. Slight improvements in nearly every exercise despite how effing tired I was.

D23- Met a dude yesterday who takes in 5,000 calories everyday and couldn't have been more than 150-160 lbs at probably 5'6" or 5'7"... I was way jealous. Not sure I'll ever get to that activity level where that'll be happening for me. I feel like a fatass if I take in 3k.

OchreHand

My pushups were pretty bad during month one. Month two they improved a bit. In month three, where you start doing Chest and Back once again, I had doubled some of my numbers from month one, was able to do diamond pushups with proper form finally AND did better number-wise (had to spread my hands out a bit in month one), and was also able to do dive bomber pushups with proper form (in month one I used German Potato Soup girl's form). I felt fantastic.

Dive bombers... That's another one that was tough. But that's encouraging about your progress! I'm happy to say I did hit a milestone on Abx on my last Phase1 week,, 50 mason twists without stopping. Woot

Pretty much on the same schedule as you bros. Phase 2 starts Monday and I can't wait.

Sweet! We can share our joys and miseries on one handed pushups

Good to hear about the progress :)

Yea month one my pushups were... really not up to par. Ive done a bit better in month two but its still where I struggle most.

LaneDS

Damn dude, I'm jelly! Both in terms of being jealous, and in terms of my stomach still resembling it on the outside. Great work! How long have you been with these types of programs? I need to remind myself that nearly four months of this stuff likely can't take you from my level of fatness to six-pack abs.

FOOTE

Damn dude, I'm jelly! Both in terms of being jealous, and in terms of my stomach still resembling it on the outside. Great work! How long have you been with these types of programs? I need to remind myself that nearly four months of this stuff likely can't take you from my level of fatness to six-pack abs.

Thanks. I've been doing these off and on for about a year and a half. I really let myself go after about two rounds last year when my depression really took a hold of me which was compounded by serious family issues. Things are a lot better now(but only because things ended that were long overdue) So I'm honestly just now starting over this year. This is my second real round of anything this year.

LaneDS

Thanks. I've been doing these off and on for about a year and a half. I really let myself go after about two rounds last year when my depression really took a hold of me which was compounded by serious family issues. Things are a lot better now(but only because things ended that were long overdue) So I'm honestly just now starting over this year. This is my second real round of anything this year.

Then you're doing an awesome job, and maybe more impressively good job overcoming your depression (or at least keeping it in check); as someone who can relate on some level, I've found exercise one of the best things one can do to combat feeling low. Thanks for sharing man.

What's a good representative of an after picture for me? Morning when my stomach is flat, or later in the day when it stretches because of food?

and lol @ HP

This is my before and after. Left is November 2011 when I first started P90, and now is two weeks ago, the beginning of month 3 of P90X2. I did P90X in between

UO0oz.jpg

LaneDS

Nice BM! Your gut is nearly gone and you're starting to really show some nice muscle definition... your November 2012 pictures are going to be night and day, so keep at it dude.

Top Bottom