• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

PKrockin

*Reads the Fitness OT*

Wow, 185g of protein per day? That's gonna be tough with just a minifridge. Guess I better load up on nuts, peanut butter, and protein drinks/bars.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
*Reads the Fitness OT*

Wow, 185g of protein per day? That's gonna be tough with just a minifridge. Guess I better load up on nuts, peanut butter, and protein drinks/bars.

Salmon, turkey, egg whites and Greek yogurt are all packed with protein. Big bang for the buck with all of those. You can get cartons of egg whites that don't take up much space.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Going to try greek yogurt (plain) this next week for breakfasts at work, but I'm trying to not make it taste like sour cream without spending a ton more. :p

Last night's Insanity workout was a bit easier (despite no breaks). Not looking forward to tomorrow morning though. How do you guys get yourself going for morning workouts?

Going to try greek yogurt (plain) this next week for breakfasts at work, but I'm trying to not make it taste like sour cream without spending a ton more. :p

What kind are you getting? Plain FAGE is amazing, especially if you can find the 2% or full fat (2% is pretty easy to find; full fat can be tricky to track down). It tastes like mascarpone cheese.

Chobani's plain yogurt is kind of gross.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What kind are you getting? Plain FAGE is amazing, especially if you can find the 2% or full fat (2% is pretty easy to find; full fat can be tricky to track down). It tastes like mascarpone cheese.

Chobani's plain yogurt is kind of gross.

Chobani is basically what we have here, haven't seen FAGE. We have A&E and our local grocery brand too I think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well if we're just talking about what's tastiest...
PcqaZ.jpg

zzoooooomg holy fuck.

Last night's Insanity workout was a bit easier (despite no breaks). Not looking forward to tomorrow morning though. How do you guys get yourself going for morning workouts?
I just finished day 60 last Sunday. The thing that helped me was having the printed out calendar schedule and just make X marks after I finished the workouts. When I felt like skipping a day, I though about how crappy I'd feel making a circle instead of an X.

Also, I made working out a priority, meaning I made sure to eat right and sleep enough to get my body ready, even if it meant sacrificing other things (I skipped some late night computer work I had to do fairly often).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Why eat plain greek yogurt by itself? I put blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, walnuts & cinnamon in mine, or make a tuna or salmon salad with it.

Last night for dinner I had a salmon salad made with 1/2 cup plain lowfat greek yogurt, a can of salmon, about 25 whole unsalted dry roasted almonds, cayenne pepper, cumin and paprika. 367cal, 21.5g fat, 11.5g carbs, 34g protein.

I love working out on the weekend. I feel like I can bring much more to a workout when I haven't worked 8 hours already. And yoga on a Saturday is almost fucking relaxing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I had Yoga on the weekend during my first cycle. It was great. Now it falls on a day I can usually work from home, which is also pretty sweet.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well if we're just talking about what's tastiest...
PcqaZ.jpg

zzoooooomg holy fuck.

We have this, but I've been told to stick with plain flavor as the flavored kinds have more sugar and carbs.

Why eat plain greek yogurt by itself? I put blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, walnuts & cinnamon in mine, or make a tuna or salmon salad with it.

Last night for dinner I had a salmon salad made with 1/2 cup plain lowfat greek yogurt, a can of salmon, about 25 whole unsalted dry roasted almonds, cayenne pepper, cumin and paprika. 367cal, 21.5g fat, 11.5g carbs, 34g protein.

I was debating the berries, whatever I can do to make plain greek yogurt not taste like sour cream. The issue is the expense though, seems to cost a good amount to buy 5 yogurts, berries, etc.

I think you guys are nuts. :p

I love plain yogurt. But I'm eastern european (from the home of yogurt, actually) so, you know, I pretty much grew up with it.

Also, and this is not as tasty to me but I still eat it plain, cottage cheese is also a protein powerhouse. I get the Friendship No Salt Added variety since the other ones have a bunch of sodium.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

I love plain yogurt. But I'm eastern european (from the home of yogurt, actually) so, you know, I pretty much grew up with it.

Also, and this is not as tasty to me but I still eat it plain, cottage cheese is also a protein powerhouse. I get the Friendship No Salt Added variety since the other ones have a bunch of sodium.

Oh I like it plain, too, but adding stuff can give you even more protein & nutrients. And yeah, cottage cheese is great as well.

Also: try adding a dollop of plain Greek yogurt to chili. Way better than sour cream!

I'm with you, and I'm American. I have a plain Greek yogurt once a day. It doesn't taste sour to me at all. I do sometimes put some honey in to kick things up a bit. Honey is pretty cheap.

Edit: And whoever suggested Greek yogurt in tuna, you changed my life.

Edit Edit: Haha, I think it was you.

dab0ne

I haven't posted for a while but I'm still trying to bring it. Just finished my week 5 kenpo and I brought it. Every time I do Kenpo I make sure I'm throwing sweat on my walls with my punches, blocks, and elbow series. If my walls and ceilings don't look like a sweaty spatter crime scene from Dexter I know I'm not bringing it hard enough!! I have been lurking though and I'm very impressed with the results I've seen so far from you guys and it's definitely keeping me motivated to keep going.

KingGondo

Banned
Had much better luck yesterday on my second try of Back and Biceps. Thought it was boring the first time, but I'm pretty sure I just didn't work hard enough.

I really pushed the weight on my curls and felt the burn.

Also, my new house's living room happens to have wrought iron hooks on the ceiling, and I had a Eureka! moment. They're absolutely perfect for doing modified band pull-ups. :)

Sitting on the floor with the orange band really worked well--I think I'm gonna do those instead of regular pull-ups from now on.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Its not out yet is it? I was gonna try it just to be a completionist but 5000+ calories a day.... fuck that!

It's out. There are groups doing it on the TeamBeachbody forums. It's only $90, not bad but you do need a bench, dumbbells, curl bar w/plates and a chinup bar.

I don't know if I'll do it or not. My current schedule is:
P90X (finish September 8)
Insanity: The Asylum
P90X2 (finish in January)

By that time Asylum Volume 2 will have been out & I think I'll do that next. And I have heard that P90X3 is being filmed at the end of this year, so that might be next. We'll see how things go after that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's out. There are groups doing it on the TeamBeachbody forums. It's only $90, not bad but you do need a bench, dumbbells, curl bar w/plates and a chinup bar.

I don't know if I'll do it or not. My current schedule is:
P90X (finish September 8)
Insanity: The Asylum
P90X2 (finish in January)

By that time Asylum Volume 2 will have been out & I think I'll do that next. And I have heard that P90X3 is being filmed at the end of this year, so that might be next. We'll see how things go after that.

Wow P90X3 already? Wasn't there a big gap between 1 and 2?

I'd love to grab 3 next year.

Ixian

I was debating the berries, whatever I can do to make plain greek yogurt not taste like sour cream. The issue is the expense though, seems to cost a good amount to buy 5 yogurts, berries, etc.
Berries are pretty cheap though, same with cinnamon and stevia. Not to mention you should be eating berries anyway, yogurt or not, so think of it less as buying berries to enhance the yogurt and more combining two awesome things to make an awesomer thing. :D

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Berries are pretty cheap though, same with cinnamon and stevia. Not to mention you should be eating berries anyway, yogurt or not, so think of it less as buying berries to enhance the yogurt and more combining two awesome things to make an awesomer thing. :D
I guess it depends on where you are, but berries are definitely not cheap around here if you want fresh ones. I just had to stop buying my weekly blackberries; $4 for a tiny container is just too much for my budget. Frozen is probably the way to go, as they're a bit cheaper, but they're just not the same!

P90X3 next year wouldn't surprise me. Tony and Beachbody are at the height of their popularity right now -- gotta take advantage.

LaneDS

Wasn't feeling it at all and bailed on today's X2 yoga about fifteen minutes in. I'll try to bring it tomorrow with maybe a double workout to make up for dogging it today.

Wasn't feeling it at all and bailed on today's X2 yoga about fifteen minutes in. I'll try to bring it tomorrow with maybe a double workout to make up for dogging it today.
It was my first time doing it today; it's definitely different from Yoga X... a lot more dynamic and generally easier -- more like a recovery day. Ted, though: holy shit at those crane splits. I wanna work my way up to that.

I think my cheap foam yoga mat is worn out. What's the consensus on a good one, preferably under $30 and non-porous?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I haven't posted for a while but I'm still trying to bring it. Just finished my week 5 kenpo and I brought it. Every time I do Kenpo I make sure I'm throwing sweat on my walls with my punches, blocks, and elbow series. If my walls and ceilings don't look like a sweaty spatter crime scene from Dexter I know I'm not bringing it hard enough!! I have been lurking though and I'm very impressed with the results I've seen so far from you guys and it's definitely keeping me motivated to keep going.
Ha, this was actually in my mind as I was doing Kenpo X today, so thanks! It was pretty hot out, so the sweat was definitely flying. You really do have to bring it to feel like you're getting a good burn with this workout... I think those of us who've done P90 are more likely to really get into it since those videos are almost exclusively made up of kicking/punching, so it's very familiar.

Speaking of sweat... I thought that being 50 pounds lighter than I was last summer and in much better shape would make me sweat less in the heat, but I think I sweat more than ever. It's pretty gross. I walked a few miles home today in the sun/heat and it looked like I had jumped in a pool with my work clothes on. Kind of embarrassing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With wrist/ankle weights, I'd really have to try NOT to sweat like crazy during Kenpo- I should try upping it, actually, now that I've got a little more muscle.

vatstep

With wrist/ankle weights, I'd really have to try NOT to sweat like crazy during Kenpo- I should try upping it, actually, now that I've got a little more muscle.
What wrist/ankle weights do you have? I'm considering them for my second run of P90X, which I'll start in about a week.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Really poor performance today in Back and Biceps. Halfway through the workout I wad having a lot of pain on my left elbow, so I had to go for low weight dumbbells.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What wrist/ankle weights do you have? I'm considering them for my second run of P90X, which I'll start in about a week.
It's these, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007IS70U/?tag=neogaf0e-20 can be 1-5 pounds each arm/leg. bear in mind they will not be quite snug on your "wrists" if you have thin ones. Soul still burns.

Really poor performance today in Back and Biceps. Halfway through the workout I wad having a lot of pain on my left elbow, so I had to go for low weight dumbbells.
Ah man. Just loaded up on assault, bout to attempt the same. Hope this isn't a prophecy.

LaneDS

Had another romantic interest fizzle out on me tonight (parted ways as friends, at least) but I plan on taking my frustrations out on exercise tomorrow. There will be extra bringing it with balance & power + something else (since I only did 15 minutes of X2 yoga today). Posting mostly for accountability purposes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Had another romantic interest fizzle out on me tonight (parted ways as friends, at least) but I plan on taking my frustrations out on exercise tomorrow. There will be extra bringing it with balance & power + something else (since I only did 15 minutes of X2 yoga today). Posting mostly for accountability purposes.
Dude, I have you so beat for tonight.

That damn girl texted me- "Hey would it be possible to go swimming at your pool? I miss you." (it's my apartment complex pool)
Me: "Sure... uh, are you alone?"
Her: "Errr. no, I'm with [new boyfriend]."
Me: "Gotcha... I'll unlock the gate for you."
Her: "Do you wanna come hang out with us?"

-_-

ONE AND ONE HALF HOURS LATER

I fucking crushed Back and Biceps. Upped my weight on nearly every single exercise. Only a few pull-up sets were below my goals. My biceps feel like they're gonna explode. Steelo, I think it's the balance of the universe thing- I'm sure next week I'll be struggling through the entire thing and you'll be kicking extreme ass.

dab0ne

I'm considering getting some of these weights. Seems like it would be hard on your elbows and knees. Has anyone experienced trouble with their joints while using these?

Ill Saint

I'm considering getting some of these weights. Seems like it would be hard on your elbows and knees. Has anyone experienced trouble with their joints while using these?

As long as you're using light weights (no heavier than 2kg) and not locking out your joints, no problem.

Top Bottom