• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

mehdi_san

Just did Base and Back for the first time, and finally met Garret. Now I know that I have no interest in doing Body Beast. Ever.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You don't get that big without steroids

But but they guarantee you'll put on 10lbs of muscle in 90 days!

I'm sure it's possible, if you take their supplements, follow the diet plan and lift heavy enough. The coach is ripped and larger than Tony, but he isn't as massive as the hoodie guy in their ad, so I don't think they're all going for competition size. I don't think you'll be lifting enough weight to do that anyway.

I'm watching the Body Beast threads on Team Beachbody to see how it goes for people, and to see how the supps work as well. They should be good for any workout regimen, and BB's stuff is usually pretty high quality and well designed.

Reactions to the workouts so far are positive.

But but they guarantee you'll put on 10lbs of muscle in 90 days!

I'm sure it's possible, if you take their supplements, follow the diet plan and lift heavy enough. The coach is ripped and larger than Tony, but he isn't as massive as the hoodie guy in their ad, so I don't think they're all going for competition size. I don't think you'll be lifting enough weight to do that anyway.

I'm watching the Body Beast threads on Team Beachbody to see how it goes for people, and to see how the supps work as well. They should be good for any workout regimen, and BB's stuff is usually pretty high quality and well designed.

Reactions to the workouts so far are positive.

Im not saying it wont work. But i seriously doubt you're gonna look like the guys in the video at the end of it. After P90 or Insanity you can end up with a similar body to the people in the program/videos. The guys in body beast however are clearly steroid users, even the hosts voice has that deep crackly tone to it which can happen from steroids. I just think some people will expect to look like the guys within 90 days.

Do they have any before/after shots for body beast? It will be interesting to see some results even though the promo ones are usually altered in some way.

FOOTE

Almost 2am, how will I live through Insanity in the morning?

:lol I probably wont get at it until 10am. Just enough time for the heat to start to become a factor... :(

I have Insanity(not sure what workout it is) and Legs and Back sometime in the afternoon before I go out.. Going to be dog tired. But I'll look good.. right?

I have to make up some lost workouts for the week due to working late (and early). Summer months are always way too busy for the staff we have- But I'm making my money so I don't complain too much.

Just did Base and Back for the first time, and finally met Garret. Now I know that I have no interest in doing Body Beast. Ever.
Yeah, I don't have any interest in Body Beast. I'll stick with Tony and Shaun for now.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Im not saying it wont work. But i seriously doubt you're gonna look like the guys in the video at the end of it. After P90 or Insanity you can end up with a similar body to the people in the program/videos. The guys in body beast however are clearly steroid users, even the hosts voice has that deep crackly tone to it which can happen from steroids. I just think some people will expect to look like the guys within 90 days.

Do they have any before/after shots for body beast? It will be interesting to see some results even though the promo ones are usually altered in some way.

You're probably right. Telling will be when folks on the TBB forums start posting before & after shots in a couple months.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Do you guys get pain in your elbows when doing pull ups? Chin ups are ok for me, but pull ups are uncomfortable to do. I was wondering if this is just a begginers thing since I just switched from resistance bands to a bar.

FOOTE

Do you guys get pain in your elbows when doing pull ups? Chin ups are ok for me, but pull ups are uncomfortable to do. I was wondering if this is just a begginers thing since I just switched from resistance bands to a bar.

I have never had this problem and I don't think that it's a normal thing. Be extremely careful with joints and switch back to the bands if it doesn't go away soon. Use your own intuition with it, you should know for sure when it's time to switch back before you hurt yourself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Joint pain is not something that should really be normal during any exercise- take it easy and assist yourself more with pull-ups via chair at first if it's happening consistently. It may be a newbie things, as you suggested, but it's not worth risking injury.

LaneDS

Dude, I have you so beat for tonight.

That damn girl texted me- "Hey would it be possible to go swimming at your pool? I miss you." (it's my apartment complex pool)
Me: "Sure... uh, are you alone?"
Her: "Errr. no, I'm with [new boyfriend]."
Me: "Gotcha... I'll unlock the gate for you."
Her: "Do you wanna come hang out with us?"

-_-

ONE AND ONE HALF HOURS LATER

I fucking crushed Back and Biceps. Upped my weight on nearly every single exercise. Only a few pull-up sets were below my goals. My biceps feel like they're gonna explode. Steelo, I think it's the balance of the universe thing- I'm sure next week I'll be struggling through the entire thing and you'll be kicking extreme ass.

Hawkian, I am shaking your (toned P90X) shoulders through my monitor so you stop that shit pronto! But yes, that's a bummer. More reps/bringing it for both (all!) of us today!

Took some X2 phase 1 complete shots today, which I will post soon. I think I can definitely see improvement in just three short weeks- feels good (man)!

I've done p90x and also lifted heavy weights. You won't gain significant muscle gains on the p90x diet and regime because you're burning too many calories on the cardio days.

You don't get that big without steroids
You need protein even with steroids otherwise your body has nothing to construct muscle mass out of. They don't magically boost the amount of protein you're ingesting.

Stampy

Good luck!

- Since you're emphasizing cardio, a heart rate monitor is a must. The Omron one on Amazon works great and is only about $35.

Can someone please explain why is heart rate monitor important? I mean without any monitor, I pretty much can feel when my heart rate has increased, meaning that the cardio has an effect. If I overdo it, my heart starts pumping really fast to warm me. and if I am too slow in my cardio, I will not sweat or feel any pulse in my body, indicating that I have to raise the intensity. I am pretty sure that everyone can track progress of these extreme type of levels of heart rate. So my question is, what exactly would I get with exact heart rates?

I doubt they will even try to say that you will look like those guys in 90 days. They even put out their first promo results, and I believe it is pretty realistic, although to be honest, the results are kind of disappointing. Not in the fact that he didn't get bigger, but the way his body developed seems really not in balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGqh36yB1Mc

One issue I thought about with P90X though: I can't do a pull up. :(

You can easily compensate that with resistance bands. They are cheaper than the assist for pull ups (maybe you even have them). You just toss them half way over the bar, put your foot inside , or you can even use two resistance bands for both feet, if you want more assistance. The greater the resistance of the resistance band, the easier the pull up. :)

LaneDS

Which Insanity workout should I try today? I've done Pure Cardio twice now and none of the others, and want to fill up my Saturday afternoon with some more cardio (or maybe I'll do the X2 yoga from yesterday that I bailed on).

Which Insanity workout should I try today? I've done Pure Cardio twice now and none of the others, and want to fill up my Saturday afternoon with some more cardio (or maybe I'll do the X2 yoga from yesterday that I bailed on).

You can try anything from the first month. Don't do anything from the second month because Insanity does a good job of working you up to those month 2 routines. You don't want to go injuring yourself. I vote Pure Cardio (big surprise right?).

FOOTE

Well, I'm going to be doing Plyo Cardio Circut in about 10 mins. Join me dawg.

Already did YogaX and Legs and Back today. This next one will have me caught up for the week.. I don't recommend that anyone workout the way I do. It sucks playing catchup as much as I do quite frankly.

LaneDS

Since Plyo Cardio Circuit is apparently month 1, by your posts combined I'll go with that just to mix it up (maybe I'll do Pure Cardio again tomorrow HP).

FOOTE- that's a beast of a day! But after seeing your photo recently, I am not that surprised. Good on ya for that.

FOOTE

Since Plyo Cardio Circuit is apparently month 1, by your posts combined I'll go with that just to mix it up (maybe I'll do Pure Cardio again tomorrow HP).

FOOTE- that's a beast of a day! But after seeing your photo recently, I am not that surprised. Good on ya for that.

Every week I say to myself that I'll get them done on the day I'm supposed to, but things always seem to push it back a day.. Then I'm sent scrambling on the weekends.. No more, it's 110 F right now.. I've drank like a gallon of water today just to feel like I'm staying even. Oh well, time to get Insanity going. See you all in about 50 mins.

LaneDS

Maybe not the ideal way to share these but I made a P90X album (and general me previously being fat album) with sub-albums listed by how many days in; here's the link:

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/P90X/

Pretty pleased with my current photos (minus some of my goony expressions) compared to earlier dates. From day 92 to day 110 is three weeks (approximately) of X2 phase 1, for reference.

Going to get ready and try Insanity, woo.

Maybe not the ideal way to share these but I made a P90X album (and general me previously being fat album) with sub-albums listed by how many days in; here's the link:

Pretty pleased with my current photos (minus some of my goony expressions) compared to earlier dates. From day 92 to day 110 is three weeks (approximately) of X2 phase 1, for reference.

It appears your internal organs attempted to escape your body in the day 30 photo.

You remind me of the Beek quite a bit. How are neighbor relations since you've done a few Insanity workouts?

LaneDS

It appears your internal organs attempted to escape your body in the day 30 photo.

My appendix did successfully escape my body between day 1 and day 30, yes.

HP- I think my downstairs neighbors are serial killers because their apartment is lit up like a hospital, so I think they want to keep a low profile and don't mind my stomping around. Unfortunately, they'll probably kill me later, but I should at least look decent by then.

Anyone here use HMB? I've been reading some articles about people stacking it with creatine and getting impressive results from it. The stuff is pretty expensive though which is one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Good job man. X2 gave me the best results so you'll be looking good by the end of it. Great fat loss though.

Ill be posting mine tomorrow i think as i just finished Asylum. No muscle growth but a lot of fat stripped.

OchreHand

Really great work. Impressive fat loss and it looks like you have a natural mesomorph build.

Edit: I spot assault pharm and quest bars on your shelf. Those are my weapons of choice, too.

LaneDS

Thank you gents; I'll likely just keep updating that folder every few weeks since that seems the best way to do it.

Daremo, did you do a 3/6/3 schedule for X2? Can't remember if that was said.

Unrelated, but I haven't done the Insanity workout I said I'd do. For shame, me, for shame.

Thank you gents; I'll likely just keep updating that folder every few weeks since that seems the best way to do it.

Daremo, did you do a 3/6/3 schedule for X2? Can't remember if that was said.

Unrelated, but I haven't done the Insanity workout I said I'd do. For shame, me, for shame.

Yeh I shortened phase 1 and 3 because they were quite easy. Phase 2 is the beast :)

FOOTE

I tried Greek yogurt for the first time just now because of how often it is discussed in this thread. All I have to say is thank you P90X-GAF.

Also, Lane, you've done a hell of a job. Great work!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just got a new weight gainer:

image_29140_450_white.jpg

I drank 2 bottles of BSN True Mass and I didn't gain shit, but admittedly, I wasn't eating much anyway.

I really hope this new weight gainer does it job because it was freaking expensive where I'm living.

I just drank 2 scoops and the taste is very good.

Heres my results from Insanity/Asylum guys. In order its:

Week 0
P90X
P90X2
Insanity/Asylum

Taking a week off then its P90X/2 hybrid for 3 months to gain some bulk. Theres no fat left on me now so its all gonna be weight based. No cardio besides the martial arts stuff i do.

Hard to think in just over a year this happened:

PKrockin

Week 0
P90X
P90X2
Insanity/Asylum

Taking a week off then its P90X/2 hybrid for 3 months to gain some bulk. Theres no fat left on me now so its all gonna be weight based. No cardio besides the martial arts stuff i do.

Damn, that's really impressive. Congratulations.

FOOTE

Week 0
P90X
P90X2
Insanity/Asylum

oMjkU.jpg

OchreHand

Week 0
P90X
P90X2
Insanity/Asylum

Damn!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can someone please explain why is heart rate monitor important? I mean without any monitor, I pretty much can feel when my heart rate has increased, meaning that the cardio has an effect. If I overdo it, my heart starts pumping really fast to warm me. and if I am too slow in my cardio, I will not sweat or feel any pulse in my body, indicating that I have to raise the intensity. I am pretty sure that everyone can track progress of these extreme type of levels of heart rate. So my question is, what exactly would I get with exact heart rates?
Ahh nobody answered you here, but this is one of those questions that does have a concrete answer. I don't use one myself yet, but here's why you'd want to:
EZAMw.png

The different training zones are effective for different things:
Fat Burning (50 to 60%)

In this range you are developing your basic endurance and aerobic capacity. This zone is great for burning fat compared to the effort you put in. Other zones will also burn up your fat but you will have to work harder to burn up the same amount.

Aerobic (60 to 70%)

This zone is great for your cardiovascular system. This helps your muscles become stronger and more efficient and you develop your bodies ability to transport oxygen to (and carbon dioxide away from) your muscles. You should be spending the majority of your training time in this zone.

Anaerobic (80 to 90%)

Entering this zone is a sign that you have become serious about your sport. In this zone your body develops its ability to handle lactic acid. An anaerobic workout takes place when you are working so hard that your body cannot keep up with the production of fuel and oxygen and so you need to dip into your reserves. When you dip into your reserves you produce numerous waste products - principally lactic acid.

Really great work. Impressive fat loss and it looks like you have a natural mesomorph build.

Edit: I spot assault pharm and quest bars on your shelf. Those are my weapons of choice, too.
Called it!

i use assault as well. :)

Week 0
P90X
P90X2
Insanity/Asylum

Damn man, just really outstanding stuff.

Thanks guys. I've bought tons of protein/bars/creatine and various supplements for P90X so im hoping to put on a fair bit of size in the coming months.

I still remember my first day of P90X. Chest & Back. Threw up straight after it :)

dab0ne

GOT MY POWER BLOCKS!!!! Used them for Chest, Shoulder's, and Triceps! They rock. I have a Nutrition Guide questions too. If I were to do P90X again should I start the nutrition guide over too from phase one? Did anyone else do this and what were your results?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
GOT MY POWER BLOCKS!!!! Used them for Chest, Shoulder's, and Triceps! They rock. I have a Nutrition Guide questions too. If I were to do P90X again should I start the nutrition guide over too from phase one? Did anyone else do this and what were your results?

You should only do phase 1 if you want to lose weight. If you wanna improve performance and maybe even put some weight, move to Phase 2 or 3.

JonCha

Couple of things, as on the verge of ordering this:

can you follow the eating guide day-by-day? I'm really crap at thinking of meals. And what protein shakes do you guys use?

has anybody used this to gain weight? I'm pretty skinny.

Thanks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
There are many different approaches to the Nutrition Guide. You could follow the recipes on the book (more time consuming), or you could just mix the foods in the guide, making sure that you hit the requirements for each day. (example: 6 servings of protein a day, 1 serving of carbs, etc.)

I've read that gaining weight with P90X is definitely possible, but you have to eat a lot. So, if you need to eat 2400 doing this program, then you'll have to have a 250-500 calorie surplus or more.

Couple of things, as on the verge of ordering this:

can you follow the eating guide day-by-day? I'm really crap at thinking of meals. And what protein shakes do you guys use?

has anybody used this to gain weight? I'm pretty skinny.

Thanks.

Yes you can but it will be expensive. I don't think anyone here has actually stuck the supplied diet plan. But feel free to pick the cheapest/tastiest and have it everyday. That's what I did and there's a lot of variety.

I've used a variety of shakes mainly aimed at lean muscle growth not mass gain but as long as you eat enough calories a day with a lot of protein weight gain shouldn't be a problem. Just look on YouTube for P90X results or transformations and look for skinny guys bulking up. I've seen a few progress well with it.

Everyone here will give you pointers and some motivation if you need it.

Brands I recommend are USN and Sci-MX.

LaneDS

First, thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Second, still a xenomorph sorry guise.

Third, awesome job Infinite_Daremo! Seriously impressive. As a reminder (to whoever might be interested), those early before/after shots are the jumping off point for me and my roommate starting on P90X, so the progress beyond that is really cool to see. You seriously got cut! Hopefully I can say the same by next year.

I celebrated all of your positive comments by eating a shitload of McDonalds. Now that I feel like shit, I'm going to work my butt off today to make up for that.

oatmeal

Banned
I done goofed and missed my last day of recovery so I'm pushing back one day. Was out of town and it messed with things.

Espresso

Banned
Hola, P90-GAF! I'm a new member (junior), nice to meet you all. In the past I've managed to get 1-2 months through P90X a couple of times before losing motivation or becoming lazy (stupid, I know.) I feel like this thread and you fine folks will be able to provide me with wisdom and the motivation to keep pushing play.

Quick question: Is it OK to mix Ab Ripper with cardio and stick just to strength routines on their assigned days, or is there a science to keeping strength+Ab Ripper together?

My plan's to do strength training M W F, HIIT+Ab Ripper T F Sat. This time I want to finish the full 90 days!

Week 0
P90X
P90X2
Insanity/Asylum

Impressive results, my man! A very big congratulations!

owlbeak

Yikes.

Hey guys, I've been AWOL for this entire week. Got sick with some sort of flu. It's been bad, but I have recovered. Going to be repeating Week 6 starting tomorrow. I did stay on my diet though the whole week if nothing else.

LaneDS

Welcome espresso! Why do you want to use the schedule that you listed instead of the existing one? Plyometrics and yoga are both very valuable as I see it, and I think keeping ab ripper along with the other resistance training days is intended to keep your muscles recovering on the same days (that is me guessing).

Either way, like I tell anyone, there is no magic to P90X or any of these programs- they just provide a good structure to people who like structure and then say hey if you exercise a lot and eat better, surprise, you'll look and feel better. So if you're working out the way you want to work out and making good food choices (i.e. don't McDonalds like I just did, ugh) then you'll see good results either way.

I still vote sticking to the vanilla schedule but either way, good luck and welcome again.

Yikes.

Hey guys, I've been AWOL for this entire week. Got sick with some sort of flu. It's been bad, but I have recovered. Going to be repeating Week 6 starting tomorrow. I did stay on my diet though the whole week if nothing else.

Glad you're feeling better, and good on you for sticking to the diet while being out of commission. You'll be back up to speed in no time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hola, P90-GAF! I'm a new member (junior), nice to meet you all. In the past I've managed to get 1-2 months through P90X a couple of times before losing motivation or becoming lazy (stupid, I know.) I feel like this thread and you fine folks will be able to provide me with wisdom and the motivation to keep pushing play.

Quick question: Is it OK to mix Ab Ripper with cardio and stick just to strength routines on their assigned days, or is there a science to keeping strength+Ab Ripper together?

My plan's to do strength training M W F, HIIT+Ab Ripper T F Sat. This time I want to finish the full 90 days!
Welcome! Stick around this thread and you WILL complete your program. I basically had never done a regular fitness program in my life let alone something this extreme before poking my head in here, and the community is so awesome and motivating that I made it through gladly and had great results.

oatmeal

Banned
I was in Hollywood and got incredibly drunk and did a 4am food run with the people I was with.

I sat there sipping a tiny water while they all threw burgers and fries into their mouths. It was brutal.

And I was the one to get the hangover because I didn't eat :(

Top Bottom