• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Starting Phase II in the morning! Chest, Shoulders & Triceps + ARX. Soon to bed. Went on a night time 12 mile kayak trip yesterday and didn't get home until after 1am. In addition to the trip itself there were longish portages to the put-in and from the take-out, and I helped carry a bunch of boats. I was feeling it today!

LaneDS

I was in Hollywood and got incredibly drunk and did a 4am food run with the people I was with.

I sat there sipping a tiny water while they all threw burgers and fries into their mouths. It was brutal.

And I was the one to get the hangover because I didn't eat :(

Good on you for staying strong! I ate McDonalds and was suitably punished internally for it, so I applaud you for potentially avoiding that fate.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did Ab Ribber X from memory/without the video for the first time today. Was very interesting. More intensive in some ways (I absolutely did not let myself do fewer than 25 reps for anything and did more for some moves), but I also took more and longer breaks between exercises.

Did it by the pool and went in for a dip right after, felt great.

If you wanna email it to yourself to do in the right order like I did btw, here it is for ease of use:

In & Outs
Seated Bicycle (25 forward, 25 back)
Seated Crunchy Frogs
Wide Leg Sit-ups
Fifer Scissors
Hip Rock n' Raise
Pulse Up
Roll-up/V-up Combo
Oblique V-up (each side)
Leg Climbs
Mason Twists (50)

Hey Steelo, you doing Chest and Back tomorrow or you not on Week 4 yet?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've had ARX memorized for a while now, but I still make myself do it along with the video so that I stay on pace somewhat — I usually pause for a minute or so after Fifer Scissors. Back when I would do the P90 Ab Ripper 100/200 routines I went by memory, but I found myself taking too many breaks and it would just make my workouts way too long. I'd end up laying there on the floor for like a half hour sometimes, ha.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Tomorrow is my week 2 actually, so I have Ch Sh Tri.

I have a vendetta against that workout because last week my performance wasn't as good as I would have liked.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tomorrow is my week 2 actually, so I have Ch Sh Tri.

I have a vendetta against that workout because last week my performance wasn't as good as I would have liked.
It's my weakest workout. Push-ups are my achilles' heel, and the really advanced ones just make me feel like a weakling; always end up modifying. It's important though, I've definitely notice my triceps starting to grow.

KingGondo

Banned
So... Yesterday was my first Plyo experience (since I'm doing the Lean routine).

What the hell was I waiting for? It absolutely slayed me, but I was able to keep up and complete the entire workout with good intensity.

If I had known how much it burns, I would've replaced Kenpo with Plyo weeks ago.

Definitely a keeper for my post-completion routine I'm planning. :)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It makes absolutely no sense to me that plyo isn't in the Lean schedule. Assuming that most people doing Lean are doing it to hopefully lose weight faster (if that's even what it's intended to do), skipping plyo is a mistake since it's easily the best calorie burning cardio workout of the bunch. The Lean schedule really just seems poorly thought out to me, and this is coming from someone who considered doing it at first.

LaneDS

So... Yesterday was my first Plyo experience (since I'm doing the Lean routine).

What the hell was I waiting for? It absolutely slayed me, but I was able to keep up and complete the entire workout with good intensity.

If I had known how much it burns, I would've replaced Kenpo with Plyo weeks ago.

Definitely a keeper for my post-completion routine I'm planning. :)

Nice! Plyo is terrible, but y'know, also really incredible. Kenpo is fine, but it doesn't begin to compare.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I gained 1.5 lbs after my first week of part 2 of Insanity. All after losing 3 lbs in my "rest" week. What's up with that? Was hoping to get under 200 this week, but I'm back to 202.

LaneDS

So I gained 1.5 lbs after my first week of part 2 of Insanity. All after losing 3 lbs in my "rest" week. What's up with that? Was hoping to get under 200 this week, but I'm back to 202.

Diet in check? Otherwise, if you're working hard, and eating right, you're probably burning fat and gaining muscle... don't let that scale bother you so much!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It makes absolutely no sense to me that plyo isn't in the Lean schedule. Assuming that most people doing Lean are doing it to hopefully lose weight faster (if that's even what it's intended to do), skipping plyo is a mistake since it's easily the best calorie burning cardio workout of the bunch. The Lean schedule really just seems poorly thought out to me, and this is coming from someone who considered doing it at first.
The Lean schedule was intentionally presented as notably easier as well as cardio-focused. Plyo is a very intensive workout compared to Cardio X and not everybody just starting out can necessarily keep up with it. That said, incorporating Plyo into the Lean schedule is a dynamite idea do it do it do it.

KlotePino

Crap Crap Crap, really excited to start my second week of P90X today but just picked up the push up handles/bars that I bought to try them out for a second and I clearly haven't recovered yet from week 1. My muscles still feel pretty sore and I seem to be pretty slow recovering. How was week 2 of your first workout program for you guys? I feel like I'll perform like shit tonight just because my muscles are still sore but I don't wanna flake out and take a few days off already when I'm in my second week!

LaneDS

Crap Crap Crap, really excited to start my second week of P90X today but just picked up the push up handles/bars that I bought to try them out for a second and I clearly haven't recovered yet from week 1. My muscles still feel pretty sore and I seem to be pretty slow recovering. How was week 2 of your first workout program for you guys? I feel like I'll perform like shit tonight just because my muscles are still sore but I don't wanna flake out and take a few days off already when I'm in my second week!

I think I was some degree of sore through most of my first P90X run, so that's fairly normal. Stick to the mantra of "do your best and forget the rest" and you'll be fine. Work hard, but don't hurt yourself.

Don't take any days off. Just do what you can. You will get over the initial soreness. Are you taking any type of recovery drink? If not I'd suggest looking into one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Diet in check? Otherwise, if you're working hard, and eating right, you're probably burning fat and gaining muscle... don't let that scale bother you so much!

I yo-yo'd constantly on Insanity. I just stopped using the scales. Look for the visual clues of fat loss.

Diet is in check more or less. I still have about 10-15 lbs left to lose though, so this odd plateau makes me curious. I figured I'd gain a bit of muscle on Insanity, but it's all cardio. I lost 20 lbs on P90X2, and I've lost like 4 total on Insanity. :p

Just still have this belly that needs to go away!

KlotePino

Don't take any days off. Just do what you can. You will get over the initial soreness. Are you taking any type of recovery drink? If not I'd suggest looking into one.

I take a strawberry protein shake after my workout. It's just the powdery stuff that you mix with milk, is that enough? I know Tony keeps talking about the P90X recovery drink but I don't want to pay shipping to get that stuff sent over here.

I take a strawberry protein shake after my workout. It's just the powdery stuff that you mix with milk, is that enough? I know Tony keeps talking about the P90X recovery drink but I don't want to pay shipping to get that stuff sent over here.

Ya a protein shake is fine. That's what I take. You can also do something as simple as chocolate milk. Hang in there man, your body will soon adjust.

KlotePino

Ya a protein shake is fine. That's what I take. You can also do something as simple as chocolate milk. Hang in there man, your body will soon adjust.

Thanks, I think it might be because I'm not taking enough protein during the day. Thinking about scoring some protein bars or something that I enjoy taking as a snack and also helps up the amount protein I take. Definitely gonna try to bring it today despite the soreness.

Best feeling in the world...6 weeks ago...skin felt all fat and stretchy...especially the arms...

Today? Some veins here and there, feeling some muscle underneath...skin isn't as stretchy anymore...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As echoed, do not take a day off due to soreness. Soreness means it's working. Don't overexert yourself or risk injury, but push yourself to do your best and the gains will start flooding in. Don't worry if you can't hit your goals or have to quit some sets early from being sore- we've all been there!

As echoed, do not take a day off due to soreness. Soreness means it's working. Don't overexert yourself or risk injury, but push yourself to do your best and the gains will start flooding in. Don't worry if you can't hit your goals or have to quit some sets early from being sore- we've all been there!

So how goes it on the workouts via your end?

Broke the 12% body fat barrier according to the weight scale I use this weekend. Feels good man. If I squint and look at the mirror in right angle, I see some 6 pack definition.

LaneDS

So I start phase 2 of X2 today with Chest+Back+Balance, and I'm trying to think of how best to utilize the Powerblocks... think I should aim for 8-10 reps with higher weight, or go for 10-15 with less? Still would like to lose weight, but it'd be wonderful to arrive in the sub 170 lbs land and be both lean and strong (which I think continued P90X will do for most anyone over the long term). Still presently around 188.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
8-10 reps would be my recommendation.
-----------------

I also have a sort of similar question. What do you guys think gives the better workout for pullups: a 80pounds resistance band, or a modified pullup with a chair?

I have pullups again this Wednesday, and if my left elbow starts bothering me again, I need to modify to one of the two.

-----------------

I also have a sort of similar question. What do you guys think gives the better workout for pullups: a 80pounds resistance band, or a modified pullup with a chair?

I have pullups again this Wednesday, and if my left elbow starts bothering me again, I need to modify to one of the two.

I'm under the belief that bands will never be beneficial as pull ups. My friend who is a trainer says that he sees people using bands and other machines to duplicate the work out from pull ups and then they move to pull ups and they can't do them. Where you can do pull ups and go to a band and have no problems with it.

But if you are having issues with pull ups that might lead to and injury of course play it safe.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Broke the 12% body fat barrier according to the weight scale I use this weekend. Feels good man. If I squint and look at the mirror in right angle, I see some 6 pack definition.

LOL I fucking love it.

Best feeling in the world...6 weeks ago...skin felt all fat and stretchy...especially the arms...

Today? Some veins here and there, feeling some muscle underneath...skin isn't as stretchy anymore...

Fuck yeah you sob, keep at it

T.O.P

Banned
Jesus christ Plyo is killing me, can't even finish the session D:

No problem with the others (yeah tiring as fuck but i force myself to complete all of them) but this will be a tough son of a bitch

I'm under the belief that bands will never be beneficial as pull ups. My friend who is a trainer says that he sees people using bands and other machines to duplicate the work out from pull ups and then they move to pull ups and they can't do them. Where you can do pull ups and go to a band and have no problems with it.

But if you are having issues with pull ups that might lead to and injury of course play it safe.

I'd advise using an assisted pull-up machine but with much less weight to balance out. I've been doing this for some time and able to get about 3-4 pull-ups so far.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I'd agree for pull-ups. Although I like the bands a lot for an alternate for dumbbell moves. I actually got more out of the bands when I used them.

For pull-ups use a stool.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'd say that resistance bands did help me with pullups-chinups. I remember that I couldn't do a single one (maybe one or two negative of each), but now I can do 10 chinups, and maybe 5 pullups in one go.

I'm really interested to see the visual results from the pull/chin ups compared to the bands.

LaneDS

Also in agreement on the assisted pull-ups being better than the bands. I started P90X using the bands and found even the assisted pull-ups to be infinitely more challenging, so Steelo if your elbows can handle that, I vote for that.

Thanks to those recommending lower weight, higher reps. I'll try to push myself for phase 2.

Continuing the green tea extract conversation from a few days ago, I think I'm going to try this for a couple months: http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplem...ight-Management-Formula-with-CoffeeGenic.html

It's not simply green tea extract (the amount used in it is pretty low, so I might do a straight up green tea extract in addition to this) but it seems like it could be pretty beneficial to what I'm going for. That, and LifeExtension is supposedly a very reputable brand.

KlotePino

Continuing the green tea extract conversation from a few days ago, I think I'm going to try this for a couple months: http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplem...ight-Management-Formula-with-CoffeeGenic.html

It's not simply green tea extract (the amount used in it is pretty low, so I might do a straight up green tea extract in addition to this) but it seems like it could be pretty beneficial to what I'm going for. That, and LifeExtension is supposedly a very reputable brand.

Just wondering why you guys don't just drink the stuff itself? I'm drinking a cup right now and it's not so bad. I actually kinda enjoy it and might start taking it an hour after the recovery drink since I work out at night anyway and there's nothing like taking a shower, putting on my pyjama's and relax with a warm cup o' tea.

oatmeal

Banned
Starting Phase II in the morning! Chest, Shoulders & Triceps + ARX. Soon to bed. Went on a night time 12 mile kayak trip yesterday and didn't get home until after 1am. In addition to the trip itself there were longish portages to the put-in and from the take-out, and I helped carry a bunch of boats. I was feeling it today!

You're with me bro. Phase II today!

(EDIT)
Also, down to 176 from 182 so far.

165 is my ideal weight, hoping to end the 90 days at around 170.

LaneDS

Just wondering why you guys don't just drink the stuff itself? I'm drinking a cup right now and it's not so bad. I actually kinda enjoy it and might start taking it an hour after the recovery drink since I work out at night anyway and there's nothing like taking a shower, putting on my pyjama's and relax with a warm cup o' tea.

I had actually tried drinking it at work in lieu of coffee, but it didn't provide anywhere near the same amount of kick so I switched back to disgusting coffee instead; the extract will be better for me since I can presumably get the benefit and not worry about drinking x cups a day to get the same effect.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
BTW Lane, be prepared for Chest Back Balance today. As I remember saying when I started P90X2, if Chest and Back from X1 was a 9/10 in terms of difficulty, this will be a 13/10.

There's a lot of variety though, which makes it more fun than the original.

Oh, and those chattarockers at the end of the workout, good luck with those!

So I start phase 2 of X2 today with Chest+Back+Balance, and I'm trying to think of how best to utilize the Powerblocks... think I should aim for 8-10 reps with higher weight, or go for 10-15 with less? Still would like to lose weight, but it'd be wonderful to arrive in the sub 170 lbs land and be both lean and strong (which I think continued P90X will do for most anyone over the long term). Still presently around 188.

More weight, less reps. Always.

-----------------

Just out of curiosity, isn't less weight better for some of the moves because of the balance component? Or did you guys (HP and Steelo) go all beast out?

mehdi_san

Chest Back and Balance is just so hard, especially the pull ups part. I still can't do most of them (impossible possible, crunch chin ups, etc...), so just to be sure I've worked out my back enough, I always add a couple sets of lawn mowers with some heavy weight at the end of my work out. I often also add some 1 arm chest press on the stability ball (is that the correct name?) to get that final burn on my chest too.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just out of curiosity, isn't less weight better for some of the moves because of the balance component? Or did you guys (HP and Steelo) go all beast out?

I forgot about the Balance thing. But, yeah, if you are doing presses or curls standing in one leg, then the weight is definitely going to be less than if you were doing it in two legs.

It's all about the burn. Like Tony says, you have to struggle but maintain proper form during the last 3 reps.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Convenience. Only takes a second to pop a couple capsules, and I take other supplements as well so I just take them at the same time. I also know exactly how much I'm getting, and I don't have to take the time to make tea.

That said, the capsules I take can be opened and brewed, if I felt so inclined.

LaneDS

BTW Lane, be prepared for Chest Back Balance today. As I remember saying when I started P90X2, if Chest and Back from X1 was a 9/10 in terms of difficulty, this will be a 13/10.

There's a lot of variety though, which makes it more fun than the original.

Oh, and those chattarockers at the end of the workout, good luck with those!

Actually I have done this particular workout, since a few weekends back I was bored and willing to do a second workout, so I tried that a few weeks early. It was indeed hard (I can't do the lever move with anything close to proper form, for example) but I remember being able to do about 9 of the 4 med ball push-ups (albeit very slowly) and a few impossible/possible moves too. Just typing this post has me excited to try it again tonight; there will be some serious bringing it.

Yesterday I did X2 yoga (very well) and then opted to do a 3 mile run outside which was awwwwful. Speed was good (second fastest time this year I think) but the heat and humidity just melted me. Like a goon, I decided sprinting twice was a good idea but that totally ruined my pacing and ultimately required I walk a couple times too. Anyone ever sub in a yoga workout for X Stretch or Recovery and Mobility? Felt like X2 yoga was a better option since I quit on it two days prior.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So how goes it on the workouts via your end?
Not bad at all! This schedule I'm doing (P90X Mass) is a little weird, and it changes up tonight for me which is exciting, but I'm really liking my results.
Also in agreement on the assisted pull-ups being better than the bands. I started P90X using the bands and found even the assisted pull-ups to be infinitely more challenging, so Steelo if your elbows can handle that, I vote for that.

Thanks to those recommending lower weight, higher reps. I'll try to push myself for phase 2.

That seems like a great combo of ingredients for weight loss honestly.

edit: Wait! Let me do some more in depth comparison shopping for you before you order.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you didn't place your order yet, see above. I saw that they had the full nutrition facts and I wanted to check it out a little more.

I like to do things by the book so I haven't substituted anything during this X2 run, Lane. Also, I think I might have overtrained myself in the middle of it so any rest:recovery was welcoming

Top Bottom