• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I didn't realize it was a powder- if you take it twice/thrice a day before meals, it's gonna be about as much green tea extract as I take daily in a capsule, plus all the other goodies, for a pretty reason price. Let us know how you feel on it and how long the tub lasts?

LaneDS

So I didn't realize it was a powder- if you take it twice/thrice a day before meals, it's gonna be about as much green tea extract as I take daily in a capsule, plus all the other goodies, for a pretty reason price. Let us know how you feel on it and how long the tub lasts?

Ordered! Once it arrives and I start taking it, I'll post my results which will of course be hard to measure when different diets and activities come into play, but I'm excited all the same.

Ixian

Jeez, this thread was busy this past weekend while I was watching EVO and playing FFXI! Yesterday I made good on my plans to try Pure Cardio in place of Kenpo X, and man did I forget what an asskicker that thing is. I love P90X but something about the way Insanity gets my sweat flowing makes me happy. I don't think I could do the full Insanity program again due to the repetitive nature of it, but the mix-and-match approach goes together like chocolate and peanut butter, in my opinion. It was also interesting to see the improvements in my flexibility from P90X come into play in Insanity, I was definitely a lot better at things like switchkicks. I've also started doing about half of my pull-ups unassisted, and then snapping the Chin-Up Max on for the second half of the set so I can keep pushing myself. Hell yeah self-improvement!

Feeling really good. :) Haven't missed a single workout since starting P90X, and aside from my crazy Friday cheat meals that I've toned down since last week, I think there was only one day where I didn't do a good job of sticking to my diet.

Looking forward to X-Stretch tonight, my legs are pretty sore after that Pure Cardio romp yesterday.

Just wondering why you guys don't just drink the stuff itself? I'm drinking a cup right now and it's not so bad. I actually kinda enjoy it and might start taking it an hour after the recovery drink since I work out at night anyway and there's nothing like taking a shower, putting on my pyjama's and relax with a warm cup o' tea.
For me personally, I enjoy green tea but like LaneDS, prefer the kick of coffee (especially since being promoted to a dev at work last month). Both make me feel a certain "warmth" in my body that I need spaced apart, and given that I drink coffee twice a day (once in the morning and once in the afternoon with a protein bar), there's really not much time in the day for me to drink green tea.

LaneDS

She wants to come over (alone) after work today.
*sigh*

As impossible as it is to do sometimes, clean breaks are the best breaks. Given how your last on this particular topic went, I think cutting her off is best. However, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably let her come over. Good luck!

Oh, P90X. I stayed on topic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:(

What did you say?
KuGsj.gif
hoo boy.

Well, I said yes, being something of a nice fellow and legitimately wanting to hang out with her (she is actually a very close friend after all... ah man :-/), and so she said we should watch a movie and play some PS3 for a while, so I said that sounded good. Was hoping that would be the extent of my turmoil for the night.

Then there was:
"Hey, do you think we could get some wine when we're hanging out tonight?"
later...
"Would you want to go in the jacuzzi at your place for a bit when I'm over there?"
later...
"Actually I don't have anything to wear, maybe I could borrow a t-shirt if you don't mind me getting it wet?"

...and now I'm toast.

Go ahead GAF, make sure I realize how she's manipulating me and I'm putting the pussy on a pedestal and so on and so forth and also be aware that I know all this and you have no idea the extent of the ridiculousness that this situation entails, and trust me to the extent that is possible that the easiest option for me is just to endure the torture as best I can and use it as an exercise in self-control.

I will be lifting VERY HEAVY WEIGHTS late tonight.

As impossible as it is to do sometimes, clean breaks are the best breaks. Given how your last on this particular topic went, I think cutting her off is best. However, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably let her come over. Good luck!
Sometimes I wish I could cut her out in terms of self-preservation but holy god do you have no idea the logistics of this. To just scratch the surface, she's one of my absolute longest friends, and we work 40 feet from each other 3 days a week.

Oh, P90X. I stayed on topic.
:lol did you see how I mentioned the VERY HEAVY WEIGHTS?

aaaanyway sorry for the livejournaling. Attempting to keep my wits about me ;)

That is THE definition of penis tease. I can sit here and tell you shit, but I won't deny I would do beastly things to her if I were you

That being said, channel that calmness in the storm, yoga warrior...

Tell her instead of jacuzzi, do yoga with you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That is THE definition of penis tease. I can sit here and tell you shit, but I won't deny I would do beastly things to her if I were you
I can't deny that I'll want to
and have many many times before and know what it's like thus compounding the issue
and god, who knows what she's thinking. But she has a legit boyfriend now and I just want no part in the madness.

That's what I'm sayin. Much appreciated bro. Gotta stay strong. Just one more challenge for my day.

Ahahaha that would really be an improvement in your eyes?

I can't deny that I'll want to
and have many many times before and know what it's like thus compounding the issue
and god, who knows what she's thinking. But she has a legit boyfriend now and I just want no part in the madness.

That's what I'm sayin. Much appreciated bro. Gotta stay strong. Just one more challenge for my day.

Ahahaha that would really be an improvement in your eyes?

We're going to do some OHMs now....

OOOOOOOHHHHMMMMMMMM...bah.

Dating thread collision!

Hawkian, have her come over after you've worked out...this is easy.

KuGsj.gif
yeah, I appreciate you guys tolerating the diversion.

Wait, I don't get why that's preferable? Honestly I'd rather have the outlet to vent my frustrations once she leaves :p

Ahhh, ermmm...

Why would you be frustrated if you got a good workout, then got worked out good? Also, she sounds like a chick I used to know, back when I was a younger, more in shape fellow.

Anyway, glad to hear that you're still on it, man. Between work travel, vacation travel and a goddamn wedding next week 4 (FUCKING FOUR) days a week have been absorbed for the past like, month. Been doing what I can but Jesus H. Christ....

I'm walking evidence that if you don't stick with the program, the program won't work as well. Next week is back to goddamn full on.

Anyway back on topic, how many push-ups are you guys doing on the bars? I'm able to squeeze in about 22-26. I try to put in about 50 push-ups every other day in addition to the other workouts just to upkeep the upper body strength and practicing more work on the core.

Maybe because I want to get ready for P90X2 next year...

LOL we are here for you Hawk!

As with yoga vs jacuzzi, it's probably not better, but I tend like to mindfuck with people, and in this case you are setting the situation more to your liking than letting her controlling the flow

Not to mention its fun doing it (doing it?) with someone, but y'all will get sweaty anyway and she can see all of your p90x hardwork

Not helping, I know

Anyway back on topic, how many push-ups are you guys doing on the bars? I'm able to squeeze in about 22-26. I try to put in about 50 push-ups every other day in addition to the other workouts just to upkeep the upper body strength and practicing more work on the core.

Maybe because I want to get ready for P90X2 next year...

I follow the program so no push ups for me unless it's included that day. If you want to work on core and being ready for X2, get them medicine balls and start doing push ups on them :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahhh, ermmm...

Why would you be frustrated if you got a good workout, then got worked out good? Also, she sounds like a chick I used to know, back when I was a younger, more in shape fellow.
Ahhhh. I see your confusion. What we're dealing with is a "look but don't touch" scenario for me here.

...while typing that another major cutie that just started working here messages me "hey, question... you work out regularly, right?" Perhaps when the P90X gods close a window...

Anyway, glad to hear that you're still on it, man. Between work travel, vacation travel and a goddamn wedding next week 4 (FUCKING FOUR) days a week have been absorbed for the past like, month. Been doing what I can but Jesus H. Christ....

I'm walking evidence that if you don't stick with the program, the program won't work as well. Next week is back to goddamn full on.
Well, don't get discouraged man- another thing that's great about the program is that your body might be shocked initially when you're back to full-on intensity, but it'll quickly get back into the rhythm and you'll be killing it in no time. :)

edit: I still don't have push-up bars. I wonder if I should invest in them despite still being fairly weak regarding push-ups in general.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For some reason it feels like I can do less push-ups on Insanity than I could on P90X. Maybe it's because you only have a few small sets of them in Insanity, where P90X has a whole day of them

For some reason it feels like I can do less push-ups on Insanity than I could on P90X. Maybe it's because you only have a few small sets of them in Insanity, where P90X has a whole day of them

I still expierence this with Level 2 drills in Pure Cardio every week. It must have do with being completely exhausted by the time you get to them. On P90X days I'm fine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do my best sets of push-ups in Core Synergistics I feel; no idea why (that's my contribution to the weird divergences in push-up performance discussion).

LOL we are here for you Hawk!

As with yoga vs jacuzzi, it's probably not better, but I tend like to mindfuck with people, and in this case you are setting the situation more to your liking than letting her controlling the flow

Not to mention its fun doing it (doing it?) with someone, but y'all will get sweaty anyway and she can see all of your p90x hardwork

Not helping, I know
lol... she's really flexible

yuuup not helping

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I still expierence this with Level 2 drills in Pure Cardio every week. It must have do with being completely exhausted by the time you get to them. On P90X days I'm fine.

I'm on level 3 drills now. I get the first 16 pushups in, but the second 16 I have to go to my knees. You're probably right though, a lot different arm movement in Insanity so they are drained.

owlbeak

lol, like a month and a half
Hmm....I don't know, man. Haha!

Hey, do you guys know the best way to mix up organic natural peanut butter? You know how the oil ends up at the top? I stir it up and it just never seems to mix properly. Am I doing it wrong?

OchreHand

TH Kitchen is way out of my budget. I can't afford to spend more than $16,000 a year just on meals. I also don't like there's no nutrition information on each meal.

The concept is good, but I just hope it comes down in price or offers a 3x a week or less option.

Start of Phase 2 today. Excited. I enjoyed my first recovery week but I was missing that pumped feeling.

Ixian

Man, I just bumped into this again yesterday myself. I used to suck at the drills when I did Insanity prior to P90X, so when I got to them yesterday I thought "npnp P90X made me a pushup beast" and nope, still sucked, though not as badly.

tch

On day 5 of week one P90X. Fuck yoga. At least I can do Plyo. I'm sure I'll get more flexible but jesus christ how I'm ever going to do some of those moves is beyond me. Probably need to get a yoga block. For people that finished the program, were you noticeably more flexible at its end?

Any suggestions on what kind of shakes/supplements to get for a beginner? Definitely need more protein in my diet.

A heads up, if you have an Amazon rewards card, they have a 20% off code for sports and outdoors stuff right now. Awesome because I was able to knock a good 75 bucks off on these.

More flexible? Absolutely. Most telling is the hamstring stretch. Everytime I tried to go a little further. By the end of 90 days I went from only touching my ankle to being able to touch my heel with effort

Yoga block helps tons

Protein : I use syntha 6. Great tasting and seems to be recommended overall

KlotePino

On day 5 of week one P90X. Fuck yoga. At least I can do Plyo. I'm sure I'll get more flexible but jesus christ how I'm ever going to do some of those moves is beyond me. Probably need to get a yoga block. For people that finished the program, were you noticeably more flexible at its end?

Any suggestions on what kind of shakes/supplements to get for a beginner? Definitely need more protein in my diet.

A heads up, if you have an Amazon rewards card, they have a 20% off code for sports and outdoors stuff right now. Awesome because I was able to knock a good 75 bucks off on these.

I think you can go with pretty much any protein shake powder you want. Just pick a flavour you like, the quality seems to be pretty stable across the board just make sure it's Whey protein. I guess the P90X recovery drink is fine too but you might be overpaying for that stuff. If your focus is losing weight then drinking actual green tea or taking green tea supplements are supposed to help. Furthermore protein bars can help up your protein intake. And creatine is supposed to help you perform better during the workout although that's too much hassle for me. My variant would require me to swallow 3 of these huge pills before and after the workout.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
When I saw the twisting moon poses in Yoga I was like F... that shit. Now I can do them with good form with the help of a Yoga block.

Something that I learned with P90X is that, never say you are never going to be able to do something. You eventually will..... well, most of the moves anyway (f... you chattarockers!)

tch

That's good. Thanks for the suggestions BeautifulMemory and KlotePino!

When I saw the twisting moon poses in Yoga I was like F... that shit. Now I can do them with good form with the help of a Yoga block.

Something that I learned with P90X is that, never say you are never going to be able to do something. You eventually will..... well, most of the moves anyway (f... you chattarockers!)

Great, yeah I'll keep at it and get a block for week 2 yoga. Thanks!

OchreHand

I also take Syntha6, based on the recommendations here. I like it and the taste is good. For when i need that extra amount of protein, I eat a Quest Bar since it has a good amount of protein and low on sugars (so many other bars are loaded with sugar)

Ixian

I usually consider refrigerating peanut butter to be a gross offense but, I'm new to organic peanut butter so I put my faith in you HP. I'll give it a shot!
I did this too (did because I stopped eating peanut butter -- way too easy to get addicted and get too many calories) and it worked great.

tch

Hmmm, have Legs and Back ( and AB ripper) tonight and Kenpo tomorrow, but my dumbbells arrive tomorrow. Should I just do the exercises with the 10 lbs. set I have? I'm not really sure as to how much weight Legs and Back require. Or should I switch them up and do Kenpo and Ab ripper tonight, and leave Legs and Back for tomorrow?

LaneDS

Hmmm, have Legs and Back ( and AB ripper) tonight and Kenpo tomorrow, but my dumbbells arrive tomorrow. Should I just do the exercises with the 10 lbs. set I have? I'm not really sure as to how much weight Legs and Back require. Or should I switch them up and do Kenpo and Ab ripper tonight, and leave Legs and Back for tomorrow?

Either is probably fine, but I'd do Legs & Back today with what you have and up your reps if you feel like you've got something left in the tank at the end of each move. Remember, you'll be doing P90X or some of these programs likely for a very long time if you decide to stick with it, so no need to beat yourself up over a day with less than ideal conditions. Work hard, and work hard tomorrow, and next week you'll have more tools and options at your disposal. Good luck!

Just did Chest+Back+Balance from X2 and ARX2... busted out 10 4 med ball push ups (6 and 4 after falling off) and 9 impossible/possibles... an improvement from a few weeks ago when I tried this. Wish I could do more unassisted pull-ups since that workout is full of them, but this shit isn't built in a day (or 90+).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Is Tonys chat today?
Yeah, but it's over now. I'm watching the archived version at the moment: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23884804

Speaking of natural peanut butter, I go with the chunky kind (the superior version, of course!) and I find that it mixes pretty well — better than creamy, at least. On a related note, I bought some without any added salt a few weeks ago since the store was out of the regular stuff... awful. It was edible, but just not good. I just threw away the jar. Salt is awesome.

LaneDS

Did I earn a California omelette with avocado and sweet potato fries? Oh I think I did.

Just watched Thursday's upcoming X2 Shoulders & Arms video and was surprised how it's just like five moves over and over... looks like a good one though. Forgot tonight's had no opportunity for Powerblocks which was disappointing, so I'm looking forward to really exhausting my arms on that day with some heavy weight.

tch

Either is probably fine, but I'd do Legs & Back today with what you have and up your reps if you feel like you've got something left in the tank at the end of each move. Remember, you'll be doing P90X or some of these programs likely for a very long time if you decide to stick with it, so no need to beat yourself up over a day with less than ideal conditions. Work hard, and work hard tomorrow, and next week you'll have more tools and options at your disposal. Good luck!

I'll go ahead and do it today then. Those med ball pushups sound pretty rough, can't wait to try them eventually. Thanks!

Top Bottom