• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll be doing the substitute "Max Interval Sports Training" in Insanity today, what's it like?
EDIT: From the reviews it sounds more fun than the other workouts. The review notes that the pacing is better.

Insane Abs was, well, insane. 40 minute regular workout, then 30 minutes of abs is killer.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Yeah I might do X2 after this round. It probably would be a good change of pace and I will probably feel a bit more confident in my abilities by then.

rkn said:
Great results man, stings a little because I've been perpetually stuck in between your day 30 and 60, but I just really need to clean up the diet apparently still. But great motivation. Day 60 - 90 is just insane though.

Yeah, I think the diet plays the most important part. If you're in between my 30 and 60 that's great. That's where I felt I was getting the most strength gains. That's also where I built up the most size. I'm bigger on day 90 than I was on day 1, but much smaller than I was at day 60.

You should have a good amount of strength. The diet should help a lot to shed the last layers off.

*And congrats Harry!! Enjoy the party and the marriage. :)

ccbfan

Alright, here's the one with 30 and 60 added as requested.

7559058916_3beb8e5798_b.jpg

Geez what did you do during 60-90?

Today is my last day of p90x and I've been stuck on your 60 days figure (slimmer though) since I started part 3 and its pissing me off.

Geeze, the results in this thread are super inspiring. Tenacious, your results are amazing!

I started P90 five days ago. I had gotten about halfway through it about 3 years ago, but fell off then I started a new job and my schedule changed. Even starting with P90 has shown me how out of shape I am. I'm already noticing an improvement in how I feel. I just have a lot more energy and my mind feels clearer and I feel happier too.

My one concern with P90 is that it gets pretty boring the further you get into it since there are only the Cardio and Sculpt workouts, where as P90X really varies stuff every day. I know the intensity steps up in part 2 of P90, but it still feels repetitive. Did anyone in this thread start with P90 and do you have any tips for sticking with it?

LaneDS

Blam:

http://runkeeper.com/user/LaneDS/activity/101655686

Not P90X specific, but I'm sure my ability to do that is largely a result of my P90X efforts.

X2 yoga later tonight, and I will assuredly sleep like a baby. Tomorrow is first attempt at Base & Back + Endurance X which will be a wonderful shit show.

Harry (I wish your username was anything but that), enjoy the bachelor party man!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Jugendstil, you could get some of the P90 Master Series videos and work those in after a bit. Sweat/Sculpt 5-6 more specifically. You can get the individual DVDs on Amazon for super cheap sometimes.

Ixian

I'll be doing the substitute "Max Interval Sports Training" in Insanity today, what's it like?
EDIT: From the reviews it sounds more fun than the other workouts. The review notes that the pacing is better.

Insane Abs was, well, insane. 40 minute regular workout, then 30 minutes of abs is killer.
I love Max Interval Sports Training, especially since it's one of the workouts where you don't repeat any exercises (well, aside from stuff during the warmup phase). I'd describe it as Pure Cardio meets Kenpo X meets Plyometrics. Hope you enjoy suicide runs. :)

Insane Abs is pretty good too; I used to do that in place of Ab Ripper during P90X because I felt like I was messing up my back with Ab Ripper. Then I finally tried Ab Ripper X2 and use that now instead.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So Insanity Phase 2, Day 1.
It includes the 25 minute fit test & the new workout... Why would they do that!?

I did do the fit test and pretty much crushed my last results.

I didn't move onto the new workout, after the fit test I felt pretty dizzy and decided that it was better to hold back for now.

I have a 45 mile bike ride planned this weekend, if that goes well then I'll jump full on into Phase 2.

When I started phase 2, I did the fit test on the rest day preceding my first Phase 2 workout.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blam:

Not P90X specific, but I'm sure my ability to do that is largely a result of my P90X efforts.

X2 yoga later tonight, and I will assuredly sleep like a baby. Tomorrow is first attempt at Base & Back + Endurance X which will be a wonderful shit show.

Harry (I wish your username was anything but that), enjoy the bachelor party man!
That's outstanding dude. I'm hopefully gonna do 10 miles today just back and forth from my parents' place, I'd love to be able to hit 30 in one ride someday!

Jugendstil, you could get some of the P90 Master Series videos and work those in after a bit. Sweat/Sculpt 5-6 more specifically. You can get the individual DVDs on Amazon for super cheap sometimes.

Cool, I didn't even know P90 Master Series existed. I will definitely pick these up. Thanks!

KlotePino

Wow, Legs & Back just broke me today, especially when you know you still have Ab Ripper X to go. Felt pretty good doing this one but because I have to keep balance and stuff so I'm a lot slower than Tony and his crew. I occasionally pause to catch up or take a break but do you guys actually pause stuff like Ab Ripper X and the other DVD's to finish sets? That would make my workout probably about twice as long and I would have to take too many breaks. I just hate it when he says stuff like "If you stuck with us you did a 350 core/ab exercises" when I'm not even close to obviously. Something about just trying to keep up and doing what you can only taking the very occasional break feels so nice but if it's hurting results I'm not sure. Looking at Tenacious' results I just really wish I could follow the diet more closely aswell.

Wow, Legs & Back just broke me today, especially when you know you still have Ab Ripper X to go. Felt pretty good doing this one but because I have to keep balance and stuff I'm a lot slower than Tony and his crew. I occasionally pause to catch up or take a break but do you guys actually pause stuff like Ab Ripper X to finish sets? That would make my workout probably about twice as long and I would have to take too many breaks. Something about just trying to keep up and doing what you can only taking the very occasional break feels so nice but if it's hurting results I'm not sure. Looking at Tenacious' results I just really wish I could follow the diet more closely aswell.

I break my workouts into two per day. The main course whether chest or back is done in the mornings, while walks in the evenings have Ab Ripper X followed up afterwards.

Therefore this allows me to perform the entire abdominal exercises without being too tired.

KlotePino

I break my workouts into two per day. The main course whether chest or back is done in the mornings, while walks in the evenings have Ab Ripper X followed up afterwards.

Therefore this allows me to perform the entire abdominal exercises without being too tired.

Mm, I suppose that's probably the smartest thing to do but don't you ever get a friend calling you up after dinner or something asking you to hang out? I suppose you could probably say you/he/she can come over after your workout but something just seems strange about planning your life around your workouts. I actually did my workout in the afternoon this time to prevent the scenario I mentioned from happening but I guess Ab Ripper X is only 15 minutes so I could probably still break that up pretty easily.

Mm, I suppose that's probably the smartest thing to do but don't you ever get a friend calling you up after dinner or something asking you to hang out? I suppose you could probably say you/he/she can come over after your workout but something just seems strange about planning your life around your workouts. I actually did my workout in the afternoon this time to prevent the scenario I mentioned from happening but I guess Ab Ripper X is only 15 minutes so I could probably still break that up pretty easily.

With my group of friends, it's highly unlikely during the weekdays since most of us work ridiculous schedules. Else if I know something might come up, as soon as I get home, Ab Ripper X is on the go.

D23

max interval sports in my opinion is the hardest insanity workout because you do 1 minute of non stop workout then 30 seconds break.. for 55 minutes. so its a HIIT workout pretty much. i was dying at the end

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you guys ever find yourselves walking around, then pausing, turning your palms up and looking at them, slowly clenching your fists, and saying quietly, "I'm becoming stronger..."

Because, I don't do that. *whistles*

LaneDS

Do you guys ever find yourselves walking around, then pausing, turning your palms up and looking at them, slowly clenching your fists, and saying quietly, "I'm becoming stronger..."

Because, I don't do that. *whistles*

I never do that all the goddamn time (especially in an M. Bison like manner).

X2 yoga times!

That's outstanding dude. I'm hopefully gonna do 10 miles today just back and forth from my parents' place, I'd love to be able to hit 30 in one ride someday!

I bet you could do 30 with little effort! Plus, you're in Florida right? They don't have any elevation whatsoever! Just glide 30 miles.

OchreHand

Just finished Legs and Back and AbX. day 34 I think. There is something about that workout that gives me a natural high.

Also new milestone, 70 mason twists !!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Blam:

By the way, I live not too far from the western end of the W&OD trail. I don't use it though. Too crowded. To be honest I haven't ridden my bike in 7-8 years. I'd rather be kayaking :)

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Geez what did you do during 60-90?

Today is my last day of p90x and I've been stuck on your 60 days figure (slimmer though) since I started part 3 and its pissing me off.

Nothing really. I just kept with my plan of 1500 calories and ate as best I could. I didn't switch to the higher carb like the program said too. I went from 50p/30c/20f in phase 1, kept it the same in phase 2, and then in phase 3 I went 45p/35c/20f. Just enough (for me anyway) to still have enough carbs for energy the next day.

Other than that, I just busted my ass.

I can't stress the importance of the diet. If you stay the course with the proper nutrition, continuously follow a calorie deficit, as well as the workouts, I'm sure you'll do great.

eosos

Banned
Shit, I'm going to have to redo this week. Got bogged down with work and some other things and missed a few of the days. Feels bad man.

Nothing really. I just kept with my plan of 1500 calories and ate as best I could. I didn't switch to the higher carb like the program said too. I went from 50p/30c/20f in phase 1, kept it the same in phase 2, and then in phase 3 I went 45p/35c/20f. Just enough (for me anyway) to still have enough carbs for energy the next day.

Other than that, I just busted my ass.

I can't stress the importance of the diet. If you stay the course with the proper nutrition, continuously follow a calorie deficit, as well as the workouts, I'm sure you'll do great.

Echoing others, great job man! The diet went almost too much for me because I ended up more skinny bones than having muscle definitions, and I ate more than you did!

Still, amazing, proud and envious :)

LaneDS

By the way, I live not too far from the western end of the W&OD trail. I don't use it though. Too crowded. To be honest I haven't ridden my bike in 7-8 years. I'd rather be kayaking :)

Oh rad, we're P90X neighbors! Sort of! I'm in Fairfax, and would also rather be kayaking but uh, don't own a kayak. W&OD is definitely crowded but I usually do weekday rides to alleviate that some.

After today's yoga (bailed on the last 15 minutes, but don't feel too badly about it) I am positively wiped. Early X2 Base & Back and then I'm going to see how much of Steelo's Endurance X can be done, for kicks (my guess is "not much!").

MarkusRJR

I've been looking into P90X and I was wondering if I wouldn't have to do push ups or dips. When I was 12 I broke a bunch of ribs and my sternum. Since it healed it's hurt to do push ups or dips. Would I still be able to do P90X?

LaneDS

I've been looking into P90X and I was wondering if I wouldn't have to do push ups or dips. When I was 12 I broke a bunch of ribs and my sternum. Since it healed it's hurt to do push ups or dips. Would I still be able to do P90X?

Is it possible to see your doctor before starting, just to be on the safe side?

As for dips, there is not a large emphasis on them. My first reaction was to say there were zero in both programs (X and X2) but then realized there are "chair dips" where you take a chair, place your legs out in front of you on the ground, and lower your butt to the ground by holding yourself up on the chair behind you... not quite a traditional dip motion, so it might be ok.

There are a lot of push-ups, which is why I wondered about your doctor at first. Does it hurt if you modify push-ups and do them with your knees on the ground? That is openly presently as an option in the videos, and while the idea is to do those until you're able, the whole mantra of the program is "do your best and forget the rest" so I don't see why modifying around your injuries long-term would be bad... the important thing is that you're out there trying to get more healthy and fit. Even if you had to skip some moves completely, I'd reckon it'd be a good program for just about anyone. Hope that helps some.

Time for X2 Base & Back, attempt 1, woo. Anyone doing Endurance X today?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahem...

First attempt at Endurance X "done." First off, mad props to Steelo, this is a killer workout and it really does some legit conditioning of the whole body in addition to being an endurance trial. Second, it is aptly named. I didn't get to do the Bonus due to time concerns right now but I was already giving up on focusing on reps and goals and just hoping to make it to the end during Round 5. Wait til you get to the Side Arm Bridge at the end of that thing.

I was pressed for time and didn't take many midset breaks, and only short in between breaks. So my numbers are sort of pathetic for a lot of this stuff. Bizarrely, I completely smoked my personal record for Towel Pull-ups. Weird!

3 notes:

1. Holy crap thank you for putting One Arms so early on. Felt amazing to actually be able to do more than one legitimate one-arm push-up. They come so fucking late in C/S/T.
2. Crazy 8's are like an ascending then descending strip set curls, right? Damn. Only went 15-20-25-30 and they still got my biceps pumping.
3. I don't exactly know the deal with chair jumps. I just substituted rock star hops for this round til I figure that out.

Here's my numbers (all unmodified moves) I trust you all to obliterate me soon!

I did all the X moves when available, though a couple of these were still new to me.
ixRno4hiINctv.jpg

ROUND 1

- Fifer Scissors: 25
- One Arm Push-ups: 5
- 80-20 Debbie Siebers: 25 each
- Crazy 8's: 64 reps (15-20-25-30)

Break (lol): Touch the Sky [X]: 30 secs

ROUND 2

- Corn Cob Pull-ups: 6.5 (I fucking hate these)
- Single Leg Wall Squat: 30 seconds each leg
- Pike Presses [X]: 18
- Frog Burpees: 11 (holy shit first time doing these.)

Break (lol): Yoga Crane: 12 secs, twice

ROUND 3

- Abrinome: 5 each side
- Towel Pull-ups: 14
- Mary Katherine Lunges with Weight: 25, 10lb
- Crouching Cohen Curls: 12, 15lbs (gotta up this :D)

Break (lol): Full Downward Dog / Chaturanga / Push-Up / Raise Leg / Crescent Pose / Warrior 3 / Twisting Half Moon (both legs): 10 secs each pose

ROUND 4

- 2 Speed Push-ups: 12 (already feeling a little woozy here lol)
- Y Presses: 9, 20lb
- Superman/Banana [X]: 5 each, 10 secs
- Rock Star Hops: 20 each side

Break (lol): Super Skaters with no tapping: 25 each isde

ROUND 5

- Prison Cell Push-ups: 12
- Steam Engines: 60 (sweat is a waterfall by this point)
- Tricep Kickbacks / Curl / Presses on a Lunge: 11 each side, 10lbs
- Lunge Flying Kick / Back Kick: 10 each side

Break (lol): Side Bridge Leg: 15 (miserable) secs each side

BONUS ROUND!
Next time. :(
---------------------

hoo. straight up awesome workout, and I didn't even get to bonus it up (never again!) thanks again steelo.
3AQmK.gif

LaneDS

Crazy 8s are where you lift one foot off the ground and keep the raised foot next to your ankle of your other foot. On the side where you've got the raised foot, you hold one dumbbell halfway up but stationary (like the exercise you mentioned). Do 8 curls on the side with the foot that's on the ground, then switch sides and do the same thing. Do the whole thing two more times (8 reps per side, 4 times, 32 reps total, same weight every time since there is no pause between reps). I'm sure I explained that terribly, but there you go.

Chair jumps I met today for the first time. Get into a chair pose, but instead of keeping your arms as high up as you normally do, go about half height. From that pose, leap up, put your arms behind you, and then go back into chair pose with the half raised arms. It's a plyo thing, and if you do 20-30 you're golden.

14 towel pull ups is great! If I crank out, uh, four, I'm pretty pleased. Can't imagine 14.

Good job attempting it! I put up such pathetic X2 Base & Back numbers (was going for unassisted pull or chin ups each time and towards the end I'd get like 2-3 and then squeak out a few assisted... felt lame) that I just did ARX2 and am avoiding Endurance X for the time being.

Oh yeah, and I think I prefer Legs & Back to Base & Back, but I did like all the plyo because I can feel myself becoming pretty awesome at leaping now. Wahoo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crazy 8s are where you lift one foot off the ground and keep the raised foot next to your ankle of your other foot. On the side where you've got the raised foot, you hold one dumbbell halfway up but stationary (like the exercise you mentioned). Do 8 curls on the side with the foot that's on the ground, then switch sides and do the same thing. Do the whole thing two more times (8 reps per side, 4 times, 32 reps total, same weight every time since there is no pause between reps). I'm sure I explained that terribly, but there you go.

Chair jumps I met today for the first time. Get into a chair pose, but instead of keeping your arms as high up as you normally do, go about half height. From that pose, leap up, put your arms behind you, and then go back into chair pose with the half raised arms. It's a plyo thing, and if you do 20-30 you're golden.

14 towel pull ups is great! If I crank out, uh, four, I'm pretty pleased. Can't imagine 14.

Good job attempting it! I put up such pathetic X2 Base & Back numbers (was going for unassisted pull or chin ups each time and towards the end I'd get like 2-3 and then squeak out a few assisted... felt lame) that I just did ARX2 and am avoiding Endurance X for the time being.

Oh yeah, and I think I prefer Legs & Back to Base & Back, but I did like all the plyo because I can feel myself becoming pretty awesome at leaping now. Wahoo.
Thanks!

Whoa, the Crazy 8's thing I looked up was totally different then. woops :{

My previous record for Towels was 7! Probably a fluke...

zlatko

Banned
Ordered it just a few minutes ago. Now I'm looking at resistance bands. I remember someone linking them from Amazon a week or so ago in this thread, but not sure which ones I should get.

Edit: Nvm found the bands in my browsing history on Amazon. This coming week sometime starts the 90 days of pain. :(

Ixian

Ordered it just a few minutes ago. Now I'm looking at resistance bands. I remember someone linking them from Amazon a week or so ago in this thread, but not sure which ones I should get.

Edit: Nvm found the bands in my browsing history on Amazon. This coming week sometime starts the 90 days of pain. :(
"There's no pain, only fun!"

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
P90X done!

Yesterday was Day 90 for me, and today is my rest day before starting all over again tomorrow (with some modifications). My results compared to Day 1 are not very impressive, but I'm not too surprised. I did this mostly as a maintenance program and wasn't really looking to get ripped or anything like that; the biggest changes to my body came late last year when I did Power 90 and the Master Series (lost 50 pounds), so I'm really just trying to stay on track and make moderate improvements. I definitely have more muscle, and look a bit different in the mirror right now than I did 90 days ago, but I really just feel better, which is the most important thing to me.

I'll be honest that this is probably one of my greatest accomplishments, even though I didn't become Tony (physique-wise). My attitude toward exercise just a few years ago was terrible — I just didn't do anything (aside from walking since I live in the city) and didn't care. Luckily, something in my mind suddenly "snapped" and that changed for me overnight (literally). Even when I started getting into better shape, though, I still didn't think I could do P90X — I thought it might be too much for me. I'm glad that I proved myself wrong! Regardless of what other forms of exercise I take on in the future, I think I'm committed for life to working out 6-7 days a week. I've been locked into that mindset for a year now and can't see myself quitting. A few years ago, I never would've imagined that'd become my attitude one day.

And now... I think I'm gonna take a nap, which I never do, because I'm beat. Did some cardio this morning and then walked for like three straight hours all over the city in the heat and humidity. I must've sweated a gallon or so. :|

LaneDS

Great job vatstep! Sounds like you have the right attitude, and I suspect if you keep at this into the future you will eventually get ripped or whatever physique it is that you're looking for. Any before and after photos plus stats to share, post-nap? I wish I could nap right now, ugh.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Holy crap, that's awesome Hawkian. Good to hear that the way the workout was put turned out great.

Damn, now I'm pumped. However my body feels wasted (last 2 days have been Legs & Back and Back & Biceps), so I need to rest.

But, I swear that an X Endurance will be done within this upcoming week. Let's more of us complete the challenge!

That's a really though question for sure; push-ups are one of the most common things you'll see in P90X.

The question is, what are your goals exacty? If you are trying to gain definition and get ripped, it will be hard to do it without all the push-ups and core focused moves. However, if you want to lose weight, then there should be a way to adapt the program and drop some pounds succesfully.

You should definitely at least try to do push-ups on your knees and see how those feel.

nitric0

What do you guys normally eat before a P90X workout? I sometimes feel tired and keep delaying my workout and sometimes I skip it. How long do you guys wait after eating said food to workout?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If you are gonna do Plyometrics, then your last meal should have been 2:30 - 3:00 hours ago. For workouts with tons of pushups and jumps, maybe 2:30 hours. For Arms and Shoulders, 1:30 is ok.

Generally, I like to eat fruits before the workout to get some carbs and sugar. I also like to drink milk, and maybe eat a peanut butter sandwich.

Top Bottom