• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Legs & Back + Pure Cardio probably wasn't the best idea yesterday, feeling it in the legs today. Feels good to be back in the swing of things tho.

FOOTE

I wish Tony would stop focusing his comments only on America:

- Welcome America;
- We are going to change this country of ours;
- This great nation;
- etc etc

p90x is worldwide tony :(
I knew someone would mention this sooner or later. Don't be offended, just workout.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Think I might give Leangains a shot coming out of this cleanse. Any of you in here have any reviews? There's plenty of talk about it in the main fitness OT but holy crap is that place intimidating.

LaneDS

Ran into a co-worker that moved to another office months ago and the first thing he said was "looking fit! P90X is working!". Those are the best moments.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Think I might give Leangains a shot coming out of this cleanse. Any of you in here have any reviews? There's plenty of talk about it in the main fitness OT but holy crap is that place intimidating.

I'm considering it. I know several people in another online community who have seen fantastic results from it. The website is hard to follow but I'll try to dig up a couple useful links later tonight for you.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Wow did plyo for the 4th time just now. First time after the first recovery week.

That shit does not get any easier, absolutely exhausting.

Although I did feel I could jump higher and do more reps, so that's something :)

Plyo is nuts.

You can only soothe it to an extent, that shit is serious business lol...

Speaking of plyo...

PLYO DAY IS TODAY!

BRING IT YOU SONS OF GEHMAN POTATO SOUP!

eosos

Banned
Quick question for ya'll, does anyone use protein after the cardio days? I currently do after the days where you lift, but I'm not sure if it would be helpful on the other ones. Thanks!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Quick question for ya'll, does anyone use protein after the cardio days? I currently do after the days where you lift, but I'm not sure if it would be helpful on the other ones. Thanks!

I'd use it, don't wanna eat away muscle right?

LaneDS

I think a lot of the more cardio focused days still push your muscles quite a bit, so I see the protein shake as something the body would readily welcome after those days too.

Sinistral

Well, if weight loss is a primary goal, Plyometrics is seriously the best thing the program has to offer you. You want lots of cardio to burn off those calories.

That said, the modified schedule you suggested is quite viable with a restricted calorie diet you will still lose plenty.

I would suggest keeping Yoga around (preferably Yoga X2 ;)) as it's straight up awesome for you.

Firm believer that upping your activity level and mixing it up with both resistance training and cardio is generally an improvement, especially if you've got a lot of weight to shed. How's your diet looking? How tall are you?

I'd guess your biking, while good for you, isn't nearly as taxing as something like plyometrics, so you might occasionally want to give your body that jolt that something like that (or Insanity) can provide instead. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll go ahead with this new plan. I'm 6'2" and my diet is pretty solid I think. Lots of water, Primal, no junk, at around 2300cal a day. Looking to get to my target with some tone, rather than lose all then build up.

Most of all, I have to enjoy it, or I find I become too bored quickly. It's summer and 22kms and 70-80 minutes of biking a day outside does wonders while still being a decent workout. When I do P90X again in the winter I'll definitely do the full scope. I'll of course do the cardio day when I can't bike for this window. Thanks again.

LaneDS

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll go ahead with this new plan. I'm 6'2" and my diet is pretty solid I think. Lots of water, Primal, no junk, at around 2300cal a day. Looking to get to my target with some tone, rather than lose all then build up.

Most of all, I have to enjoy it, or I find I become too bored quickly. It's summer and 22kms and 70-80 minutes of biking a day outside does wonders while still being a decent workout. When I do P90X again in the winter I'll definitely do the full scope. I'll of course do the cardio day when I can't bike for this window. Thanks again.

Cool, sounds like you've got things thought out pretty well, and yeah I guess even if you're not going for broke 23km on a bike in this heat will totally shed you some pounds.

Just completed plyocide, and after yesterday's (totally stupid) workout I am so glad I don't have to workout again until Thursday. Tomorrow will be the first rest day in a while that I think I'll actually use for resting, and I'm a-okay with that, as I'm absolutely effin beat.

PKrockin

Day 2, plyo x.

- The cardio wasn't nearly as bad as the burning in my legs after the 30,000th consecutive squat exercise. It felt twice as long as chest and back with twice as many exercises that target the same muscles and there were precious few breaks... I hit pause five or six times.

- Those damn jump knee tucks destroyed me. I don't even know how it's possible to do them double time.

- I nearly threw up afterwards, maybe from drinking too much water.

- I'm very sore, all over my body now. And I have to do more upper body and ab work tonight...

LaneDS

Day 2, plyo x.

- The cardio wasn't nearly as bad as the burning in my legs after the 30,000th consecutive squat exercise. It felt twice as long as chest and back with twice as many exercises that target the same muscles and there were precious few breaks... I hit pause five or six times.

- Those damn jump knee tucks destroyed me. I don't even know how it's possible to do them double time.

- I nearly threw up afterwards, maybe from drinking too much water.

- I'm very sore, all over my body now. And I have to do more upper body and ab work tonight...

Sounds like you did it right, so good work, but why do you have to do more upper body and ab work tonight? Didn't you do all of that yesterday and will do so again tomorrow?

PKrockin

Sounds like you did it right, so good work, but why do you have to do more upper body and ab work tonight? Didn't you do all of that yesterday and will do so again tomorrow?
Oh, sorry, I mean tomorrow morning. I work nights and I do P90X shortly after my shift which ends at about five in the morning. I only have internet at work so I can't post right after my workout.

Day 4: Yoga X: Complete.

I'm loving this routine, I feel great. My shoulder that I hurt a few months ago is starting to feel stronger already.

Legs and Back tomorrow, here I come!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I finished my first Plyocide in 2 months. It reminded me why this is my favorite workout. Absolutely killer if you push yourself. By the end of it my whole body was exhausted.

Now I'm gonna rest tomorrow, Legs and Back on Thursday, Ab Ripper X and Recovery and Mobility on Friday and on Saturday Endurance X.

KingGondo

Banned
Well... I went ahead and took the plunge.

After vacillating and thinking about doing some kind of hybrid 5 day/week program, I decided to dive right back in and do the Classic routine after finishing Lean on Sunday.

Really brought it with Chest & Back today, and I'm excited to see how much further I'll be able to take my results with 90 more days of work.

I'm replacing Yoga X with X2 and Kenpo with Plyo, which means I'll be doing Plyo 2x/week during much of the program. :-|

Well... I went ahead and took the plunge.

After vacillating and thinking about doing some kind of hybrid 5 day/week program, I decided to dive right back in and do the Classic routine after finishing Lean on Sunday.

Really brought it with Chest & Back today, and I'm excited to see how much further I'll be able to take my results with 90 more days of work.

I'm replacing Yoga X with X2 and Kenpo with Plyo, which means I'll be doing Plyo 2x/week during much of the program. :-|

I'd suggest making one of those plyo workouts Plyocide to give yourself a little more variety.

LaneDS

Yer crazy Gondo, but good luck! Best part about plyo to me? Knowing that shit is shelved for a whole week once I finish it. Twice in one week? No thanks!

LaneDS

The P90X recovery week is a must. The one in X2 is kind of a joke, so I'd replace it with the one in the original.

I liked the recovery week because it had two days of one of the best workouts: Core Synergistics.

Yeah, I am skipping X2 recovery week entirely because WTF, really? Yoga three times? Recovery & Mobility the other three? Not doing that for a week. In fact, I've found I like doing yoga in place of R&M, so yeah that week is not worth it.

KingGondo

Banned
I'd suggest making one of those plyo workouts Plyocide to give yourself a little more variety.
Sounds wise, I'll probably do that.

Does Plyocide burn as much as regular Plyo? I assumed it does given the name (yikes), but my main goal in having two Plyo sessions is to destroy the lingering fat around my midsection.

Yeah, I am skipping X2 recovery week entirely because WTF, really? Yoga three times? Recovery & Mobility the other three? Not doing that for a week. In fact, I've found I like doing yoga in place of R&M, so yeah that week is not worth it.

I didn't do any recovery weeks for X2. They are already giving you an extra day off (which I didn't take anyways). Recovery weeks for X seem so much more valuable.

Sounds wise, I'll probably do that.

Does Plyocide burn as much as regular Plyo? I assumed it does given the name (yikes), but my main goal in having two Plyo sessions is to destroy the lingering fat around my midsection.

My heart rate monitor has shown me burning more calories with Plyocide than Plyo X. It's a shorter workout than Plyo X but much more intense and there are less breaks. I love it. Reminds me of Insanity a bit.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm not sure about doing 2 intense plyometrics workouts a week (+ legs and back). I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (or maybe even Tony said) that it is not recommendable.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to add an extra Cardio X workout, which is far less challenging but can still burn a couple hundred calories?

LaneDS

All the sprinting in place bits in Plyocide totally remind me of Pure Cardio, I'd agree. Definitely a calorie/fat burner.

On that note, managed to do the whole crazy set, sprint, plank, plyo, jump bullshit today with plyo (clapping) push-ups tonight. Definitely collapsed on the last plyo push-up though, sorry downstairs people.

KingGondo

Banned
My heart rate monitor has shown me burning more calories with Plyocide than Plyo X. It's a shorter workout than Plyo X but much more intense and there are less breaks. I love it. Reminds me of Insanity a bit.
Great, I'll definitely do that then! It's hard for me to imagine something more intense than Plyo, but I'm ready to bring it. It's weird how excited I am to put myself through another 90 days of this stuff! :lol

On a related note, I ordered another Omron HR monitor a few weeks back and it's still going strong after the first one broke. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm not sure about doing 2 intense plyometrics workouts a week. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (or maybe even Tony said) that it is not recommendable.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to add an extra Cardio X workout, which is far less challenging but can still burn a couple hundred calories?

You do more than 2 plyo workouts a week during Insanity. I wouldn't recommend it for someone just starting out but KingGondo has been at this awhile.

Great, I'll definitely do that then! It's hard for me to imagine something more intense than Plyo, but I'm ready to bring it. It's weird how excited I am to put myself through another 90 days of this stuff! :lol

On a related note, I ordered another Omron HR monitor a few weeks back and it's still going strong after the first one broke. Thanks for the recommendation.

You bet man. Let us know what you think of Plyocide.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
King Gondo, maybe you should consider cutting Plyometrics from X1 and instead of that do Plyocide on, say, a Tuesday and Base and Back (another X2 workout with plyometrics movements) on Friday. Seems like a better balance to me.

KingGondo

Banned
King Gondo, maybe you should consider cutting Plyometrics from X1 and instead of that do Plyocide on, say, a Tuesday and Base and Back (another X2 workout with plyometrics movements) on Friday. Seems like a better balance to me.
By "Tuesday," I assume you mean on day 2? My schedule is weird, I actually use Monday as a rest day.

This seems like sound advice as well. I might try that this week and then the double Plyo routine next week.

So how do you guys feel overall during recovery weeks?

I will be the odd person out and say for X2 recovery week is very valuable because 1) you get to decide whether you need it or not, and 2) rest is equally as important as any of the exercises. It's all about variety and balance in what we do, and our bodies need time to adjust and grow. Yes, there are only yoga and recovery during the week, but why isn't that enough?

Sometimes less is more

mehdi_san

I'm late on my schedule because of a bad summer cold that had me under the weather for the last few days. I'm thinking on trying to catch up tonight by doing Chest back balance and Plyocide (day 1&2), in what order would you recommend me to do them? Is it better to do cardio before or after resistance workout?

Neifirst

By "Tuesday," I assume you mean on day 2? My schedule is weird, I actually use Monday as a rest day.

This seems like sound advice as well. I might try that this week and then the double Plyo routine next week.

For what it's worth, I replace Kenpo with both Core Synergistics and Plyometrics (alternating weeks). Extra cardio one week and a chance to do my favorite routine - lunge/kickback/curl/press the next!

Started P90X again to get some bulk. Its been a year since i completed it. Despite doing P90X2, Insanity and Asylum since... my back aches and my pecs hurt if i move even slightly.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm late on my schedule because of a bad summer cold that had me under the weather for the last few days. I'm thinking on trying to catch up tonight by doing Chest back balance and Plyocide (day 1&2), in what order would you recommend me to do them? Is it better to do cardio before or after resistance workout?

Ch + Back + B first and the next day Plyocide.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm more sore after the first 2 day of week 3 of phase 2 in Insanity than I was after week 1. I missed my Saturday workout so I had 2 days off, wonder if that's it. :p

KingGondo

Banned
Started P90X yesterday, and goddaayummm it's hard as fuck.
You can do it. The first couple of weeks are the toughest, so focus on getting through those and it'll fly by.

We're here for support if you need it.

On an unrelated note, I find it annoying/amusing that Tony calls both Back & Biceps and Plyo "the Ultimate X Workout."

Which one is it really?

Top Bottom