• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

So how much easier is Power 90 and Power 90 Masters compared to P90X?

I can speak for P90. The answer is very easy but also very solid. It's kind of like p90x condensed into four DVDs. Easy to get in, teach you all the fundamentals. Most people do outgrow it before 90 days and since you are doing two DVDs at the time, boredom is an issue

As for Masters wait for Vastep, he had done it for a while

mehdi_san

So... I just realized that Ramadan starts tomorrow! Yay... :(
What it means is that for a month, I can't eat nor drink anything from 3am to 7pm (from sunrise to sunset). This won't be easy to manage with my p90x2 schedule, but it's something that really matters to me so I still want to do it.
What would you think would be a good breakfast menu? Basically, I need to eat something around 3am that will last me until 7pm.
I'll also try to have a meal at 7pm (just after sunset), and another after my workout (around... 11pm maybe?).

burnfout

Well protein seems to fill me up the best.

I can last hours and hours on three eggs and a protein shake ( with strawberrys mixed in hmmmm)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What it means is that for a month, I can't eat nor drink anything from 3am to 7pm (from sunrise to sunset). This won't be easy to manage with my p90x2 schedule, but it's something that really matters to me so I still want to do it.
What would you think would be a good breakfast menu? Basically, I need to eat something around 3am that will last me until 7pm.
I'll also try to have a meal at 7pm (just after sunset), and another after my workout (around... 11pm maybe?).

In your case I would carb up and protein up in the AM if you wake up and eat before sun-up. Make sure to get your body a lot of fuel to make it through the day, especially if you plan to work out.

mehdi_san

Thanks for the advices. I don't really feel like cooking at 3am, so I want to go with something easy to make. I'm thinking of some low fat Kellogs cereals that I will mix with soymilk+whey protein, bananas and/or blueberries for the carbs, and eggs or tuna can for the proteins. And also 1 gallon of water to help me go through the day haha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the advices. I don't really feel like cooking at 3am, so I want to go with something easy to make. I'm thinking of some low fat Kellogs cereals that I will mix with soymilk+whey protein, bananas and/or blueberries for the carbs, and eggs or tuna can for the proteins. And also 1 gallon of water to help me go through the day haha.
!!!!

Be forewarned- cereal is not a good idea in the scenario you've described! Cereal and related grains will do a stand-up job of making you feel hungry again an hour or two after eating. Not the worst thing if you're having a bowl at 9 and eating lunch at 12, but if you're talking about eating a bowl of cereal at 3am, you're going to have a looot of trouble not feeling incredibly starving by 7pm. Though maybe that's part of the aspect of the fasting during Ramadan (i'm not familiar with the tradition, Yom Kippur is the closest we've got :p). The whey protein will help; eggs would likely be the best and casein would be a very good idea if you can get some.

Just finished Plyometrics. I like it. Some cool exercises and makes me sweat like an otter.

I live in an appartment so I hope me neighbours can the jumping.
You accidentally a word.

giggas

Just finished Plyometrics. I like it. Some cool exercises and makes me sweat like an otter.

I live in an appartment so I hope me neighbours can the jumping.

I did Plyo last night and only made it halfway through. I thought my legs were going to snap in half. Good on you for making through the whole thing on your first shot.

One thing I don't like about Plyo is that I feel like I'm going to fall through my floor. I can only image what your neighbors heard. Haha.

I did Plyo last night and only made it halfway through. I thought my legs were going to snap in half. Good on you for making through the whole thing on your first shot.

One thing I don't like about Plyo is that I feel like I'm going to fall through my floor. I can only image what your neighbors heard. Haha.

It's hard alright. I almost gave up 20min left, put pulled trough.

My neighbor is a single woman normally home at 6. I will do it from 5 to 6 so she won't be bothered.

FOOTE

Have another phase two Insanity workout after work. I don't know which one it is, just I know ill sweat like crazy and cant wait.

embalm

Have another phase two Insanity workout after work. I don't know which one it is, just I know ill sweat like crazy and cant wait.

Mine is MAX Interval Plyo tonight, if you're doing a p90x hybrid and moving to the second in the Insanity schedule it is probably yours also. Good luck!

LaneDS

Every rest day I get to I'm initially happy to have the time off, and then by the time the day is nearly over I'm feeling like I should do something physical after work; does anyone else have this problem? Someone jokingly (I think) asked if I was addicted to exercise yesterday and now I'm wondering if maybe there is a modicum of truth to that question, joking or not.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

I tried to be a hero when I first started and Plyo KO'd me. Best bet is to follow Pam the Blam's modified moves, until you can build up to making it to the end without being useless the next day. Then move on to trying everything normally.

burnfout said:
What protein bars do you guys use?

So many options :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...in+bar&x=0&y=0

Why not try making your own? I do every now and then. That way I know everything that's in it. These are the ones that I make http://www.oxygenmag.com/Community/Blogs/Oxygens-Staff-Blog/No-Bake-Protein-Bars.aspx I add extra whey though and change the flavour occasionally. I also toss in some dried fruit sometimes.

Ixian

Every rest day I get to I'm initially happy to have the time off, and then by the time the day is nearly over I'm feeling like I should do something physical after work; does anyone else have this problem? Someone jokingly (I think) asked if I was addicted to exercise yesterday and now I'm wondering if maybe there is a modicum of truth to that question, joking or not.
On days where I don't work out (which, on the P90X schedule, is pretty much on the rest days when I opt not to do X-Stretch), I always think I'm going to wake up the next day 20 pounds heavier. I'm not sure if it's that I'm addicted to working out so much as it is that doing something for 6 days of the week makes it really weird for me when it doesn't occur on the 7th. Going to be interesting when I switch to three days a week!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Although I don't think I'm addicted to working out, I'd probably feel the same. My one rest day falls on Saturday, when I always do a shitload of (brisk) walking, so I never feel too lazy.

I'm definitely addicted to it. I find myself always doing something on my off day. I feel like an asshole if I don't. :)

LaneDS

Could be all the damn coffee (now with stevia!) that I drink, but towards the end of the working day (read: now) I've got restless legs... need to expend energy. Maybe I'll run, maybe I'll be stupid and try Endurance X, who knows.

KingGondo

Banned
It's definitely possible to get addicted to exercise.

As long as you're not pushing your body too hard and injuring yourself, it sounds like one of those "good problems."

OchreHand

I get Quest bars. For the most part I like them

+ good amount of protein
+ low sugar, and and no sugar alcohols
+ gluten free
+ low fat and low calorie

- price. At $26 and 12 bars costs add up
- taste is not great..the chocolate brownie has a plastic taste.
- Out of the wrapper they're nearly impossible to bite into.. You have to nuke them

http://www.questproteinbar.com

LaneDS

I havent found a Quest bar flavor that doesnt taste like ass. What others do you like?

Mixed berry (microwaved) is my favorite. I like the apple pie and chocolate brownie ones somewhat too (also microwaved), but not nearly as much. I used to do Builder's bars and have now switched to Quest bars completely (will usually eat one, sometimes two a day).

It's definitely possible to get addicted to exercise.

As long as you're not pushing your body too hard and injuring yourself, it sounds like one of those "good problems."

It's definitely become an outlet for a lot of negativity, so maybe that's where the "gotta do it" feeling stems from. Or all the coffee.

Ixian

I havent found a Quest bar flavor that doesnt taste like ass. What others do you like?
Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Roll, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Vanilla Almond Crunch, and Peanut Butter Supreme. All microwaved for ten seconds.

I like most of the other flavors too, but not as much.

LaneDS

Decided I'll do X2 yoga tonight on my rest day... I feel like that's a good compromise between recovery/stretching and getting some energy out, and it's also semi-therapeutic in its own right.

Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Roll, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Vanilla Almond Crunch, and Peanut Butter Supreme. All microwaved for ten seconds.

I like most of the other flavors too, but not as much.

Haven't had Vanilla Almond Crunch. I'll give it a shot.

MIMIC

Banned
I got back into P90X on Monday (after putting it off for a year).

I used to be able to do the Plyo without taking a single break. Oh God....I have so much work to do. lol But it's gonna be fun working myself back into form :)

I used to be able to do the Plyo without taking a single break. Oh God....I have so much work to do. lol But it's gonna be fun working myself back into form :)

Plyo is such a beast. Good on you for getting back into it.

mehdi_san

!!!!

Be forewarned- cereal is not a good idea in the scenario you've described! Cereal and related grains will do a stand-up job of making you feel hungry again an hour or two after eating. Not the worst thing if you're having a bowl at 9 and eating lunch at 12, but if you're talking about eating a bowl of cereal at 3am, you're going to have a looot of trouble not feeling incredibly starving by 7pm. Though maybe that's part of the aspect of the fasting during Ramadan (i'm not familiar with the tradition, Yom Kippur is the closest we've got :p). The whey protein will help; eggs would likely be the best and casein would be a very good idea if you can get some.
Thanks for the heads up. My choice was motivated by laziness as I said, I want to wake up and have something that I can eat right away. Protein shouldn't be too hard. Can you think of a good source of carbs that will help me go through the day?

PKrockin

^ Something with a lot of fiber will help you feel fuller throughout the day.

Alright, day 3 is done. Arms and shoulders wasn't too bad but I don't have light enough weights for some of the tricep stuff. Soonest I can get some is sometime next week so until then I'm just improvising with whatever's lying around. I still got the burn though... man, a few of those exercises worked me over even without any weight!

Round two of ab ripper was really tough. I had to pause a lot.

Yoga tomorrow morning sounds so good. I need the flexibility training, and I'm probably too sore to do anything else.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Welcome to the fold!

grumble

Thanks for the heads up. My choice was motivated by laziness as I said, I want to wake up and have something that I can eat right away. Protein shouldn't be too hard. Can you think of a good source of carbs that will help me go through the day?

Oatmeal (steel cut) is so-so, but you'll need to lean really hard on protein and some fat to get through the day.

^ Something with a lot of fiber will help you feel fuller throughout the day.

Alright, day 3 is done. Arms and shoulders wasn't too bad but I don't have light enough weights for some of the tricep stuff. Soonest I can get some is sometime next week so until then I'm just improvising with whatever's lying around. I still got the burn though... man, a few of those exercises worked me over even without any weight!

Round two of ab ripper was really tough. I had to pause a lot.

Yoga tomorrow morning sounds so good. I need the flexibility training, and I'm probably too sore to do anything else.

not trying to scare you or anything but yoga isn't the the easiest thing to do your first couple of times. i'm pretty sure you'll agree after your session tomorrow.

stick with it though, you'll get better at everything. in week two you will notice an improvement in every move you do from all the workouts.

has anyone done P90X while totally cutting out binge drinking? say on fridays/saturdays?

I did a full round last year while still hitting up the booze and got fairly good results. I was just wonder if going completely alcohol free this time will see even faster results.

PKrockin

not trying to scare you or anything but yoga isn't the the easiest thing to do your first couple of times. i'm pretty sure you'll agree after your session tomorrow.

stick with it though, you'll get better at everything. in week two you will notice an improvement in every move you do from all the workouts.

Well I've never done yoga before so I don't really know what it's like, but I guess I'll find out in about 12 hours :p

PKrockin

has anyone done P90X while totally cutting out binge drinking? say on fridays/saturdays?

I did a full round last year while still hitting up the booze and got fairly good results. I was just wonder if going completely alcohol free this time will see even faster results.
Well alcohol has significantly more calories per gram than protein and carbs, and it provides no nutrition. I'm sure cutting out those empty calories would help.

LaneDS

As others have said, cutting out drinking (binge drinking especially!) will be hugely beneficial to a weight loss program.

Did another morning workout today, except that I didn't have the time to do ARX after my Shoulders and Arms. That came in the afternoon after work. It feels really weird not doing it, like my body is expecting to do something after that.

Oh boy, Yoga X tomorrow. Best way to start the day is with an inferno in your legs.

Top Bottom