• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Did another morning workout today, except that I didn't have the time to do ARX after my Shoulders and Arms. That came in the afternoon after work. It feels really weird not doing it, like my body is expecting to do something after that.

Oh boy, Yoga X tomorrow. Best way to start the day is with an inferno in your legs.

Or "fire in your buttocks" (thanks Tony for that one).

KingGondo

Banned
Real exercise addiction is no joke. It's a big deal.
I know what you mean, I had a friend who was "really" addicted to exercise and it was pretty sad. He worked out (lifting HEAVY weights) every single day, worked out through injury (thus injuring himself further)... He had lots of joint problems.

Yeah, no good. What I meant is that it's good to get to the point in an exercise routine in which your body is rewarding you for taking care of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Final day of the Shakeology Cleanse. Shoulders and Arms... didn't feel as tanked on it as I expected. I could feel the difference of not having as much fuel to burn, but I still matched my numbers from last week, and don't feel sick or anything. I lost 2.5 pounds on the cleanse as of tonight, for those interested. Looking forward to real food tomorrow though, I must say.

OchreHand

Back and Biceps done today. Second week of Phase 2. I loooove this work out, especially the strip set at the end. it does leave my arms aching but in a "good way."

Final day of the Shakeology Cleanse. Shoulders and Arms... didn't feel as tanked on it as I expected. I could feel the difference of not having as much fuel to burn, but I still matched my numbers from last week, and don't feel sick or anything. I lost 2.5 pounds on the cleanse as of tonight, for those interested. Looking forward to real food tomorrow though, I must say.
What does the cleanse involve? Is it just drinking shakes for a period of time and consuming nothing else? How long is it for and how much does it cost? Any other impressions? Thanks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Still surprised at how sore I am on week 3 of phase 2 Insanity. Maybe I am gaining enough ground that I'm pushing myself harder. Who knows.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Today was the first day of my weird "first half of Yoga X plus Cardio X" workout. Felt pretty good. This was only my second time ever doing Cardio X and it ain't bad... I certainly don't think it's as easy as some people make it out to be, especially if you modify some of the moves to be more, say, x-like. It's fast-paced and non-stop, which is great.

Tony posted this earlier, haha: Top 10 Most Annoying Things about Tony Horton

Today was the first day of my weird "first half of Yoga X plus Cardio X" workout. Felt pretty good. This was only my second time ever doing Cardio X and it ain't bad... I certainly don't think it's as easy as some people make it out to be, especially if you modify some of the moves to be more, say, x-like. It's fast-paced and non-stop, which is great.

I like that Tony posts it on his FB. You lose brettsblog.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

I still think Tony is drunk in Cardio X, or was binging out the night before. He just seems off in that whole video compared to the rest.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I still think Tony is drunk in Cardio X, or was binging out the night before. He just seems off in that whole video compared to the rest.
Haha, yeah, I agree. Really seems like he mailed it in. Hell, maybe he just realizes a lot of people will never even watch that video. BUT, if I hadn't, I never would've known that the "Ripped King" Jason was engaged to Vanessa (the dude could do better, I think...), so there's that.

Haha, yeah, I agree. Really seems like he mailed it in. Hell, maybe he just realizes a lot of people will never even watch that video. BUT, if I hadn't, I never would've known that the "Ripped King" Jason was engaged to Vanessa (the dude could do better, I think...), so there's that.

I'm sure she's a nice person but she always reminded me of Richard Christy from The Howard Stern Show...

xl9VG.jpg

tch

What a waste of an article. Yeah I'm a fan of Tony. First thing that came to mind on day 1 was Michael Scott + White Goodman (Ben Stiller's character from Dodgeball)

MIMIC

Banned
Plyo is such a beast. Good on you for getting back into it.

Yeah, I stopped around July or August and meant to get back into it but I put it off for so long I just ended up forgetting about it. But when I went to go play tennis the other day I got really out of breath (whereas I NEVER got like that last year when I played) and decided that it was time to get back into it. Plus I'm "moving" to Florida next year and I need to get that beach body =p

Today was Yoga X. I did it all last year and forgot how much I hated it. :( I only did an hour of it.

Royal Dancer? LOL. I did it in the mirror and looked like.....I don't know what the heck I looked like, but it was NOT a royal dancer. =p

Also, regarding the "annoying things about Tony": I LOVE the weird, peculiar things he says/does. My fav from the ab ripper: "They're workin hard, I know you are!" But isn't that almost like the signature thing when it comes to work-out instructional videos? The quirks of the instructor? (I wouldn't know since P90X is the only workout video I've ever used)

satori

I just finished my first round of p90x. A little background, before p90x and before I had my son. I was pretty active and was an avid weightlifter, particularly power lifts. My first real program I stuck to was starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. I absolutely loved that program and the strength and size I gained from it. Being able to squat close to 400lbs for my frame was such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment (I am 5'7). Having the legs of tree trunks needed some time to adjust to tho :p

Anyways life got in the way. My father sadly suffered not one but two strokes, so I took some time off my life just to nurse him back. Also I had a son who later developed some complications which took even more time and added more stress to our lives. Needless to say I did not have time for exercise, I had plenty of stress, and bad food was cheap (screw subsidized cheap bad food btw). This went on for a good three years. In three years I went from a fit frame of 185 to over 240lbs. I knew it was time for a changed, not just for myself but also to keep up with my little brat who has endless amounts of energy.

So I did my research. I had knowledge of diets and exercises, now I had renewed my willpower and dedication. I am still caring for my father, and money is currently really tight so I decided to try p90x. I also went on a keto diet as I did p90x as well. I went below 50 grams of carbs and had a carb loading phase once a week. TBH that was the biggest deal breaker in my weight lost imo. Anyways I kept that diet for a good 60-70 days.

Once I got into phase three I decided to add more carbs and calories in my diets. I added max 120 grams of carbs and cut out the carb loading phase. I did this when I hit a wall on my weight lost and as i was just gassing out on my work outs. This literally lit a fire under me. I was able to go faster, harder, longer. And it broke right through the weight lost plateau I was experiencing.

I am currently at work so I do not have access to my before and after pics. But I took a lot of them. I do apologize, and will post them as soon as I can (on a 3 day shift). I kept my logs at home as well but off the top of my head this is what I remembered.

Day one weight in I was 240+

About two months into the program I hit a weight lost wall at 220 pounds. Still 20 lbs in two months was crazy fast. I did not gain nor lose anything for a good two weeks. That is when I decided to eat more calories and added more carbs.

Immediately I felt like a new man. Like I stated I was able to push it harder, and longer on all of my work outs. I just weight my self for the first time since a month ago, and I weighted in at 207 pounds.

In three months I was able to get close to my weight before I let myself go over three years ago. I struggled to do three clean pull ups at the start of the program. Now I max out at close to 25. My push ups been insane as well. Sadly I just pulled my shoulder muscle when I skipped a warm up on my Chest and back days. But before that I was able to pump out close to 50+, when I first started p90x I struggle to do 15 clean push up. I am more flexible than I have ever been in my life due to this program. Also my cardiovascular health improvements is the thing I have been most proud of. I just had a physical and got some astonishing results. Before the program my resting heart rate was 90+. Now I am at 72 bpm. My blood pressure was 150/90 at the start of the program. Now it is 120/68.

My doctor was stunned at the results, even more so than me. Before the start of the program I told him I will be doing the Keto diet and he tried his hardest to convinced my that it was bad. I told him I was not just going to eat cheese and bacon all day, and that I was going to keep it clean. Anyways sorry for the long winded post. I am currently at work and it is a very slow night. Anyways I just wanted to say I lurk the hell out of this thread and everyone help inspired my to keep pushing as well. Most the time I just had my crappy phone so I did not get to partake with this thread even though I wanted to badly. Anyways my break is over and time to get back to work lol. Sorry for the long winded post :p

satori

Thanks man! Yeah I am deciding if I should go another round of p90x, move on to p90x2, or start my strength training again. I would love to do the power lifting again, but the same constraints I had before is still there, just not as bad :p

LaneDS

Damn satori, great story and now a great start to my day. Very glad to hear how well things have been working out for you! Get that shoulder iced up so in a few days you can get back to meeting or exceeding your former 185lb self.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What does the cleanse involve? Is it just drinking shakes for a period of time and consuming nothing else? How long is it for and how much does it cost? Any other impressions? Thanks.

Here's a bit o' info: http://www.shaketopia.com/shakeology-cleanse/
1. Thankfully, not quite only shakes- it's a strictly restricted diet though. 3 shakes, 2 cups of green tea, 1-2 cups of fruit, and a dinner consisting of greens and 4oz of grilled chicken or fish
2. Same thing for 3 days in a row
3. Well, you need 9 servings, and a bag of 30 is $120 (totally prohibitive to have every day, in my case). I guess that makes it ~$40 for the three-day cleanse, plus whatever the fruit, chicken, and spinach cost ya :p

Impressions: I feel great, actually. Considering how much of a caloric restriction it was from my normal diet, I didn't feel all that hungry at any point. Still had generally enough energy to complete my P90X workouts to my satisfaction (though you'll feel a difference). I lost 4 pounds; a bit surprising to me. Looking forward to eating real food today but this was sort of the transition into Leangains (at least giving it a shot) for me, and I don't feel the urge to go totally nuts at a buffet like I expected to.

Shakeology Chocolate is pretty gross with just water though. Very thick and grainy D:

I just finished my first round of p90x.
congratulations, graduate! :D

grumble

Thanks man! Yeah I am deciding if I should go another round of p90x, move on to p90x2, or start my strength training again. I would love to do the power lifting again, but the same constraints I had before is still there, just not as bad :p

That's a good story. I'd you're interested in strength training again then you can definitely do that; it's a lower time commitment than p90x. Now that you're well conditioned, you'd probably be in a good place to start building muscle and getting strong. Either way keep us posted!

Cedric

Hey GAF, I'm on my second week of P90x and I really need some advice. I just can't do Yoga X. I skipped it the first week after 20 minutes or so, and today I tried doing the whole thing, but fast forwarded some parts and just ignored some of the exercices. I have 0 flexibility, my arms can't hold me during downward dog (which is like 50% of the workout)... Is there something I can do to help me? Is doing stretch x everyday going to help me gain more flexibility for the Yoga X days?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
First day trying out Leangains... Well, I don't think hunger's going to be a serious problem. I was quite hungry by time of my first meal but holy crap I am stuffed now. Feel like my stomach shrunk during the cleanse or something. Hooo man.
Hey GAF, I'm on my second week of P90x and I really need some advice. I just can't do Yoga X. I skipped it the first week after 20 minutes or so, and today I tried doing the whole thing, but fast forwarded some parts and just ignored some of the exercices. I have 0 flexibility, my arms can't hold me during downward dog (which is like 50% of the workout)... Is there something I can do to help me? Is doing stretch x everyday going to help me gain more flexibility for the Yoga X days?
Do X Stretch instead for now like you said... once your upper body gets stronger for Downward Dog, you might be able to switch it back. Yoga is awesome for your flexibility even if you're struggling, but if you can't actually hold yourself up...

LaneDS

Can you provide more details? Are you unable to do downward dog more because of weight issues, or strength issues? I know the two are likely related but I'm trying to think of ways in which you can modify. I think you should continue trying to do yoga without fast forwarding and literally do what you're able to, even if it doesn't seem like a lot. I know yoga was the surprisingly hardest part for me when I first started, but I think it's very valuable. If you absolutely can't modify through some of it, then yes I think stretching and cardio would be good to do instead. But remember, please don't fast forward the workouts if possible. Follow along, do whatever you can, if you're wiped just do what you can when your body recovers some.

KingGondo

Banned
For now, I'd recommend trying to stick with it. You're going to improve your Yoga X performance primarily by doing Yoga X, not X Stretch.

How far can you get into the workout before your arms give out on Downward Dog?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But man, Ab Ripper X is a beast. Anyone here can do maximum reps?
Couldn't through the entirety of my first round of P90X, one month into my second round... hell yeah I can! :D :D :D

edit: Cedric, that's all good advice above too. Yoga is so much more intensive than it seems, but so worth it.

Keep at it. You'll "suck" for the first few weeks, but you'll grow exponentially in strength and flexibility.

There's no easy answer. You just modify everything so that it's somewhat doable. Look up modifications of individual poses on Google, like this:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...A&biw=1034&bih=661&sei=ckcIUPb6BMWQ0QGPu-X_Aw

and just do your best. Try every week or every couple of weeks to further your limit by a little bit.

I really don't think you should skip the routine or even fast forward parts of it. Sticking with it is the most important thing.

Cedric

Well actually it's not that I'm not able to do downward dog, it's just that my arms shake a lot and I feel like I'm going to fall down. I can hold the position but I find it extremely hard, I feel like it's not supposed to be that demanding. But thanks everyone for the advice, I didn't expect to get as much replies so quickly. I'll try and stick through it and do what I can do.

KingGondo

Banned
Well actually it's not that I'm not able to do downward dog, it's just that my arms shake a lot and I feel like I'm going to fall down. I can hold the position but I find it extremely hard, I feel like it's not supposed to be that demanding. But thanks everyone for the advice, I didn't expect to get as much replies so quickly. I'll try and stick through it and do what I can do.
It's corny, but "do your best and forget the rest" really is a valuable mantra.

As with any new workout, things are gonna be a bit challenging when you start out. Push yourself to do downward dog as long as you can (always with good form), and only stop if you feel actual physical pain, not just discomfort (which I still feel in that pose on occasion).

You'll be surprised at how rapidly you improve, and remember that this community is always here if you need help. :)

LaneDS

Do you guys ever skip stretches at the end of a workout? I've done it a few times in the last couple weeks. I need to break the habit.

I skip the weird stretching bit at the end of plyocide (although this week, week 5, I tried it with a resistance band and found it at least semi-useful).

Cedric- the yoga is so effective and useful because it *is* that demanding. Shit is plain hard for most people, which is why it's so valuable. As Tony says about shaking "that means something good is happening!". Keep at it. You'll surprise yourself in the long run with what you'll be capable of.

Cedric

It's corny, but "do your best and forget the rest" really is a valuable mantra.

As with any new workout, things are gonna be a bit challenging when you start out. Push yourself to do downward dog as long as you can (always with good form), and only stop if you feel actual physical pain, not just discomfort (which I still feel in that pose on occasion).

You'll be surprised at how rapidly you improve, and remember that this community is always here if you need help. :)

Hahaha, was thinking about that motto right after I posted, Tony's right! But thanks, I'll be sure to come here and ask questions whenever I have some.

Cedric- the yoga is so effective and useful because it *is* that demanding. Shit is plain hard for most people, which is why it's so valuable. As Tony says about shaking "that means something good is happening!". Keep at it. You'll surprise yourself in the long run with what you'll be capable of.

Will do, thanks for the advice!

the truth is, it is quite demanding. for me, it's the hardest workout in the program and it shows with the buckets of sweat it produces.

just remember that next week it will be easier and that the first 30-40 minutes are the hardest. the last half of the workout goes much easier on you. I say keep at it. you'll be amazed next week when you make loads of progress on your stamina and ability to do the moves.

last vinyasa of the day

that line will make you happy

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So who's up for the challenge this weekend?

ENDURANCEX.png

P90X Endurance. The mother of all X workouts. Basically, take pretty much the hardest moves from P90X and P90X2, put them together and you have Endurance X. It's a workout that focuses on the entire body. Chest, Back, Arms, Shoulders, Core, Abs and Legs.

So far, only one P90X Gaffer has attempted the mother, and had positive thoughts on it. This workout would be recommendable only for those who have finished any of the X programs (X or X2) and want to test themselves.

Those who have only done P90X will recognize pretty much all the moves, and if a move sounds different, then it's probably from P90X2. In that case, you can either do the P90X variation, or try to learn the X2 version.

Warm-Up: 5-10 Minute Stretch (Everything you can think of from the X and X2 warm-ups [jog in place, jumping jacks, scorpions, best stretch in the world, etc.) + a whole body foam rolling sequence if you have one.

ROUND 1

- Fifer Scissors
- One Arm Push-ups
- 80-20 Debbie Siebers
- Crazy 8's

Break (lol): Tornado [X2] or Touch the Sky [X]

ROUND 2

- Corn Cob Pull-ups
- Single Leg Wall Squat
- Full or Half Lolasana [X2] or Pike Presses [X]
- Frog Burpees (Similar to Jump Knee Tuck, but after the jump you get into a plank and do a pushup)

Break (lol): Yoga Crane

ROUND 3

- Abrinome
- Towel Pull-ups
- Mary Katherine Lunges with Weight
- Crouching Cohen Curls

Break (lol): Full Downward Dog / Chaturanga / Push-Up / Raise Leg / Crescent Pose / Warrior 3 / Twisting Half Moon (both legs)

ROUND 4

- 2 Speed Push-ups
- Y Presses
- Plank Ball Crunch with Stability Ball [X2] or Superman/Banana [X]
- Chair Jumps

Break (lol): Super Skaters with no tapping

ROUND 5

- Prison Cell Push-ups
- Steam Engines
- Tricep Kickbacks / Curl / Presses on a Lunge
- Lunge Flying Kick / Back Kick

Break (lol): Side Bridge Leg

BONUS ROUND!

- Chattarockers [X2] or Plank To Chaturanga ISO [X]
- Yoga Wheel
- Renegade Rows [X2] or Sphinx Pushups
- Set / Sprint / Plank / Plyo Pushup / Jump

Break (lol): Phelon Twist [X2] or Mason Twist [X]

Cooldown: Child's Pose / Cat Camel / NIS (Neuro Integrated Stretch with bands) or many of the other legs/buttocks stretches and a final Shavasana (corpse pose).

---------------------
22495070.jpg

Ixian

In the making of video for the original Yoga X, I remember the guy Tony went to for advice on making the routine talking about how when he first started doing Yoga, he was the only person in the classroom who was shaking during the workouts, so yeah, it can be challenging. :)

Do you guys ever skip stretches at the end of a workout? I've done it a few times in the last couple weeks. I need to break the habit.
Nah, it's only a few minutes and I enjoy the feeling, especially since I'm a bit more flexible at the end of the routine and can really push the stretches.

First day trying out Leangains... Well, I don't think hunger's going to be a serious problem. I was quite hungry by time of my first meal but holy crap I am stuffed now. Feel like my stomach shrunk during the cleanse or something. Hooo man.
What's your fasting schedule like? Mine is:
2 PM - Break fast with a small salad.
4 PM - Protein bar with coffee.
7 PM - Workout.
9:30 PM - Huge dinner.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So who's up for the challenge this weekend?

ENDURANCEX.png
Oh, I'm there. It's made it into my weekly training phase of my modified schedule (did you happen to see it Steelo?)

Can't wait to try and beat my records from last week on saturday, beat up the bonus round, and correct the moves I performed wrong the first time around.
What's your fasting schedule like? Mine is:
2 PM - Break fast with a small salad.
4 PM - Protein bar with coffee.
7 PM - Workout.
9:30 PM - Huge dinner.
Mine's gonna be quite like that on most regular days, except 12:30-8:30 feeding phase so that I can still have lunch with people at work.

Today, I did my workout early in the day and had a big lunch following it, so my dinner will be not as crazy. Sticking to the same schedule though, just switching where the biggest meal comes.

vatstep

But man, Ab Ripper X is a beast. Anyone here can do maximum reps?
By maximum reps, do you mean 25? I personally think you should always do "25 a pop" unless you're just starting out or you're totally wiped that day. It's not a race (they go pretty fast on the video), and you can pause as often as you like. I say take your time and do as many as you can. It's tough at first, but the relief when you're done can't be beat!

LaneDS

Totally gluttoned it up at lunch today (cheeseburger, sweet potato fries, many rolls) so I'm wondering if I'll do X2 shoulders and arms + a run + just a shake tonight to make up for temporarily letting go. Always welcoming suggestions on how to counteract slip-ups like this one!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
By maximum reps, do you mean 25? I personally think you should always do "25 a pop" unless you're just starting out or you're totally wiped that day. It's not a race (they go pretty fast on the video), and you can pause as often as you like. I say take your time and do as many as you can. It's tough at first, but the relief when you're done can't be beat!
Good advice certainly! I have three notes:
1) My "hell yes" meant that I can now do it more or less at the pace of the people in the video (at least, I can get all 25 per standard move in without pausing the video)
2) With Fifer Scissors and Leg Climbs, I really just couldn't get to 25 at first, even with a midset break. Some moves are just killer for certain individuals and that one gets me.
3) Mason Twists... rather than 25 it's... "forty," no just kidding 50, and no for me it's just a "do it til you fall the heck over" move
Totally gluttoned it up at lunch today (cheeseburger, sweet potato fries, many rolls) so I'm wondering if I'll do X2 shoulders and arms + a run + just a shake tonight to make up for temporarily letting go. Always welcoming suggestions on how to counteract slip-ups like this one!
Yeah I'd say some cardio and a lighter dinner is your best bet, and resolve to make tomorrow a cleaner day :)

PKrockin

Man, the first half of yoga was hard. I was pouring sweat with all those lunges, and vinyasas are tough for me. The second half was much easier but now my arms hurt when I straighten them fully. :/

KingGondo

Banned
Man, the first half of yoga was hard. I was pouring sweat with all those lunges, and vinyasas are tough for me. The second half was much easier but now my arms hurt when I straighten them fully. :/
I still pour sweat with yoga. Keep it up though, those vinyasas become much easier over time.

LaneDS

First half of yoga is a monster, yes. Such a good workout though! X2 yoga is similar in that regard.

I had X2 shoulders and arms today, and really pushed hard despite how tired I was. Was doing 20-25lbs and 10-14 reps for just about every move and that is a marked improvement over last week's numbers. The third time I did Crazy 8's I said to my roommate at the end that I felt that was the hardest I had to push myself for any single P90X move... was unreal. Eating a small (but late) dinner and will yoga it up tomorrow (didn't see yer post until now Mr. Hawk).

dab0ne

Satori. Thanks for the testimonial dude and good job. I've been stuck around 190 lbs. for a few weeks and I was actually going to stick with the phase 2 diet plan when I got to phase 3 in an attempt to lose a little more weight but now I think I will move onto phase 3's diet and use the extra carbs to bring it harder.

Top Bottom