• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

I channeled SteveMeister's plyo performance and absolutely destroyed Plyocide tonight, surprisingly. Felt super tired, but once I got going I was pushing out more reps and getting more height on just about everything, aside from the one move where you step onto something, step off, and then jump... my folding chair sort of sucks for it and I just phone that one in. Even cranked out plyo push-ups on that monster final set sprint plank plyo jump bidness.

Feels good.

A question, guys...

I'm 4 days into week 2, and I'm noticing something. Last week, the day after my exercises my muscles would be sore (in a good way). This week, I'm not feeling the day after soreness, or at least minimally.

Now, I'm not phoning it in, if anything I've been pushing harder this week and generally doing more of everything that I did last week. I also haven't cheated my diet. Is this normal? I kind of like feeling that day after soreness, makes me feel like I'm making progress, but I guess it makes sense that the muscles would adapt.

However, if I'm doing something wrong, now would be the time to catch it.

Ill Saint

A question, guys...

I'm 4 days into week 2, and I'm noticing something. Last week, the day after my exercises my muscles would be sore (in a good way). This week, I'm not feeling the day after soreness, or at least minimally.

Now, I'm not phoning it in, if anything I've been pushing harder this week and generally doing more of everything that I did last week. I also haven't cheated my diet. Is this normal? I kind of like feeling that day after soreness, makes me feel like I'm making progress, but I guess it makes sense that the muscles would adapt.

It's normal, dude. Your body is getting used to the strain, but it doesn't mean your results will be lessened in any way, or that you need to push yourself more. As long as you're going hard and listening to your body, then you're good! Just keep going.

Ill Saint

A question, guys...

It's normal, dude. Your body is getting used to the strain, but it doesn't mean your results will be lessened in any way, or that you need to push yourself more to feel DOMS (which could be detrimental / harmful). As long as you're 'bringing it' and listening to your body, then you're good! Just keep going.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A question, guys...

Welcome to the feeling of being X-like.

That's around when it started to subside for me too ;)

Killed Plyo tonight even with a little bit of a sore knee (from what I don't know). Great burn, now for my LG reward meal :D

"You're like a board. Board. But don't get bored."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fifer scissor holds are awesome. I can now do them all without taking a bloody break in-between. How about the rest of you Ab Ripper X folks?
Yup, though it still ain't "easy." Couldn't do so my entire first round of P90X, but now I can, one of my proudest moments.

Whenever I take down my pull up bar I pretend it's one of these...

JbVij.jpg

Surely I'm not the only one :)

Fifer scissor holds are awesome. I can now do them all without taking a bloody break in-between. How about the rest of you Ab Ripper X folks?

I can go through the whole thing without a break. It took awhile to get to that point tho. I still remember the first day I had my arms up longer than Adam for In and Outs. Felt good.

It's normal, dude. Your body is getting used to the strain, but it doesn't mean your results will be lessened in any way, or that you need to push yourself more to feel DOMS (which could be detrimental / harmful). As long as you're 'bringing it' and listening to your body, then you're good! Just keep going.

Welcome to the feeling of being X-like.

That's around when it started to subside for me too ;)

Killed Plyo tonight even with a little bit of a sore knee (from what I don't know). Great burn, now for my LG reward meal :D

"You're like a board. Board. But don't get bored."

Beautiful, good to know, thanks.

Nice job on dominating Plyo! Tonight for me is Yoga X...Warrior Time!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

"You THINK I'm going to say eleven!"

I can get to about 20-21 before I have to set a heel down, but the bigger issue is that I'm still struggling with getting my leg above about a 45 degree angle while still keeping it straight. If I try to go any higher my leg wants to bend. Tight hamstrings are tight.

But they're getting better. Tomorrow is day 45. I shall endeavor to improve on Monday's ARX.

As to the rest, it took me up until last week to be able to do reverse bicycles -- just didn't have the coordination -- and Monday was the first day I didn't need to catch my balance near the end of Crunchy Frogs. I've got in all the Mason Twists the last 3 times. So I'm nearly there, then it's all about form & harder options.

And full disclosure -- I went through P90 and Insanity prior to P90X, so my core strength wasnt bad to start with at the beginning of P90X.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I can get through 25 Fifer Scissors, although I usually take a 30 second break either before or after that sequence depending on how I'm feeling that day. They'll never get easy, though — I have a really tough time straightening my legs like they do on the video. I just don't bend that way! See also: Pulse Ups, Standing Leg Extensions, Single Leg Wall Squats, etc. But fuck it, I do my best and forget the rest.

tch

Just out of curiosity, how do other people's Legs and Back numbers change over the first few weeks of p90x? Like are they roughly the same and how far are the reps for the different exercises apart? (i.e wide-grip, switch-grip, etc.)

Just asking because for the most part I'm doing similar numbers for each exercise. I hate Legs and Back because I feel like I could crank out a few more reps if I wasn't so drained from the legwork.

Edit: I also treat the bar as a bat'leth Harry Potter haha

SteeloDMZ

Banned
My favorite part of Fifer Sissors is the music that plays in the background. So good.
------

Today, despite an annoying lower back pain, was my absolute best Plyocide performance. It felt amazing being able to do for the first time Tony's psycho plyo push-ups.
Just out of curiosity, how do other people's Legs and Back numbers change over the first few weeks of p90x? Like are they roughly the same and how far are the reps for the different exercises apart? (i.e wide-grip, switch-grip, etc.)

Just asking because for the most part I'm doing similar numbers for each exercise. I hate Legs and Back because I feel like I could crank out a few more reps if I wasn't so drained from the legwork.

Edit: I also treat the bar as a bat'leth Harry Potter haha

Legs and Back is the one workout I've seen the most improvement. My form and/or numbers for the legs moves and chin ups keep improving. Wide and close grip pull ups are still extremely challenging though.

PKrockin

Holy crap... the last few days are a bit of a blur but I think I drove all over the state without air conditioning, accidentally fell asleep for over 24 hours, and then woke up to find that I have to go out of state to pick up a relative who will be staying over for the time being.

Once I get back to my normal work/sleep schedule in the next few days I'm starting the program over.

Holy crap... the last few days are a bit of a blur but I think I drove all over the state without air conditioning, accidentally fell asleep for over 24 hours, and then woke up to find that I have to go out of state to pick up a relative who will be staying over for the time being.

Once I get back to my normal work/sleep schedule in the next few days I'm starting the program over.

Yikes. That's tough. Keep us dated on your progress!

FOOTE said:
Fifer scissors... the one move I honestly think I hate hearing that it's next.

That's the move where I need to pause and take a deep breath for even just extra 5 secs

oatmeal

Banned
That's not fair, you just put gel into your stomach hair to make abs ;)

GOod stuff, keep it up!

I skipped my rest day after Kenpo yesterday and started week 3 of phase 2. I almost caught up to the two days I missed while on a work trip.

No more chest/shoulders/triceps for another 30 days or so. Feels good to get rid of it.

That's not fair, you just put gel into your stomach hair to make abs ;)

GOod stuff, keep it up!

I skipped my rest day after Kenpo yesterday and started week 3 of phase 2. I almost caught up to the two days I missed while on a work trip.

No more chest/shoulders/triceps for another 30 days or so. Feels good to get rid of it.

Lol, gel? Naw, magic marker :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Day 45 Back & Biceps + ARX. Destroyed ARX today. Did all 25 fifer scissors, all 50 mason twists, leg climbers with no grabs. Now it's all about keeping those legs straight & vertical...

I fully expect Friday's ARX (after Legs & Back) to be slightly less successful. ARX is harder after Legs & Back. But It Will Be Brought.

OG Kush

Day 45 Back & Biceps + ARX. Destroyed ARX today. Did all 25 fifer scissors, all 50 mason twists, leg climbers with no grabs. Now it's all about keeping those legs straight & vertical...

I fully expect Friday's ARX (after Legs & Back) to be slightly less successful. ARX is harder after Legs & Back. But It Will Be Brought.

Do it before legs and back then!

MIMIC

Banned
Fifer scissors... the one move I honestly think I hate hearing that it's next.

Haha, I came into this thread to post this.

Last year, I could do the entire routine without a break. I got to week 10 last year and by then, I think I had the move down. I'm only on week 2 now and this move sucks balls. lol

LaneDS

y'alls some nerds.

I'm sure if my brand of nerdery extended into Star Trek I'd do the same.

Related, since I have that same pull-up bar... do you know if you can purchase the little foam support pieces? Or know of better (i.e. less painful) grips?

Uh, you accidentally fell asleep for 24 hours? Is that medically possible? I can't sleep more than 12 if I'm exhausted and try to.

Today, despite an annoying lower back pain, was my absolute best Plyocide performance. It felt amazing being able to do for the first time Tony's psycho plyo push-ups.

I thought my Plyocide performance was awesome (I mean, for me, it was), but kudos on doing the psycho plyo push-up! That's awesome stuff and hope I can one day post the same (that day is no time soon).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Had to take off the FatGripz today about halfway through Back & Biceps. I could barely hold on, let alone pull myself up. They make a HUGE difference. I'll just view pull-ups and chin-ups done without them as "semi-assisted" :)

Nice work Culebra 64! Keep it up.

y'alls some nerds.

I'm sure if my brand of nerdery extended into Star Trek I'd do the same.

Related, since I have that same pull-up bar... do you know if you can purchase the little foam support pieces? Or know of better (i.e. less painful) grips?

Sports Authority carries something similar to whats on the bar. You could also use some pipe insulation that you would find at Home Depot.

PKrockin

Uh, you accidentally fell asleep for 24 hours? Is that medically possible? I can't sleep more than 12 if I'm exhausted and try to.

It's happened to me a few times before. I work 12 hours a day for about two weeks before I get a break. Rarely I've fallen asleep when I got home, then woken up around the same time next day. This time I was doing P90X, too, so...

P90X gave me more energy though. Now I feel lazy and tired all day.

This was the post that made me say fuck it and start on p90x: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39806367&postcount=5631

So, I'm keeping the tradition going...but I'll update as I go, rather than wait till the 90th day.

So, day 0, 7/13/12, I took the fitness test and barely passed it, and took this first pic:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/PldCulebra/Me/2012-07-13_20-53-53_764.jpg[IMG]

12 days into the program, sticking to the diet religiously, and pushing like hell every day:

[IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/PldCulebra/Me/2012-07-25_00-53-59_150.jpg[IMG]

Can't wait till Phase 2![/QUOTE]

Wow, I can already see a difference in your midsection. Keep at it!

Cedric

I have a question for the P90x graduates who play ball. Did plyometrics training significantly improve your vertical jump? I'm on my third week and it'd be awesome if by the end of P90x I could dunk on a nearby court (it isn't nearly as high as the official net size, but it's better than nothing hahaha).

I have a question for the P90x graduates who play ball. Did plyometrics training significantly improve your vertical jump? I'm on my third week and it'd be awesome if by the end of P90x I could dunk on a nearby court (it isn't nearly as high as the official net size, but it's better than nothing hahaha).

I played ball in HS. I'm 6'1" and could never dunk. I'm in a 18-45 men's league now and after doing Insanity and P90x I can throw it down one handed. It's very White Chocolate Jason Williams like but I'll take it.

Cedric

I played ball in HS. I'm 6'1" and could never dunk. I'm in a 18-45 men's league now and after doing Insanity and P90x I can throw it down one handed. It's very White Chocolate Jason Williams like but I'll take it.

Man, that's great to hear! Can't wait to see myself improve over the course of the workout.

PKrockin

The P90X fitness test has you measuring the height of your standing jump, so they do expect it to improve.

Whoa, that's a violent schedule. Make sure you take care of yourself, bud. I don't think I could maintain sanity working hours like that :(

It can be rough, yeah, but I like it. Once in a while I get two-week-long breaks. :D

FOOTE

Have one of the Insanity workouts after work. I don't know why I can't remember which of the workouts I have to do on Insanity days without looking at my schedule. No matter which one it is I'm going to sweat buckets. I aint playin'.

Edit- Just as I suspected, I'm sweating profusely.

Espresso

Banned
I'm about halfway through Shoulders & Arms (day 3) and I don't know what's up but something doesn't sit right with my stomach (probably what I ate for lunch), and I feel like hurling. Sucks, 'cause I really want to get through this.

I'm about halfway through Shoulders & Arms (day 3) and I don't know what's up but something doesn't sit right with my stomach (probably what I ate for lunch), and I feel like hurling. Sucks, 'cause I really want to get through this.

Don't quit! Find your threshold and stick with it...it's hard at first but you really want to get over that hump and keep going. The rewards are worth it...remember, just do what you can and keep coming back for more day after day.

Espresso

Banned
Don't quit! Find your threshold and stick with it...it's hard at first but you really want to get over that hump and keep going. The rewards are worth it...remember, just do what you can and keep coming back for more day after day.

Thanks for the pep talk! I'm pushing through, albeit with breaks between every round. You're right though, the rewards are most definitely worth it.

Edit: So, 2.25 hours after starting I'm finally done, heh. I don't remember that being that tough. Anyone else take a good deal longer than an hour to finish their exercises during the first week?

Thanks for the pep talk! I'm pushing through, albeit with breaks between every round. You're right though, the rewards are most definitely worth it.

Edit: So, 2.25 hours after starting I'm finally done, heh. I don't remember that being that tough. Anyone else take a good deal longer than an hour to finish their exercises during the first week?

Grats on pushing through! :) Honestly, I wouldn't worry about comparing your times/reps to anyone else's, especially at this early stage. What's important is that you fought through it. I promise, you keep at it and your performance will increase.

Keep at it buddy! You can do this!

The build-up/working towards PAP phase in X2 is one of the most satisfying feeling. Everything makes so much sense now, all the foundation phases and moves from the strength phase

Dude. Friendly word of advice: Shave or trim your chest, it will show off your definition so much more...

This is true, but I can only be what I am, and that is a hairy dude. (I'm not one to trim my chest hair) I'll just have to work harder to make the definition show :p

Top Bottom