• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

mehdi_san

This is true, but I can only be what I am, and that is a hairy dude. (I'm not one to trim my chest hair) I'll just have to work harder to make the definition show :p
I am also hairy. Really hairy. But I tried trimming it for the first time when I started X2, and TBH there's no going back. Feels better and also looks a lot cleaner.

LaneDS

Have slipped on eating well these past two weeks a few times and will be missing Friday and Saturday's workouts (Yoga and Base & Back) due to flying out of town for a friend's bachelor weekend, so I intend to really bring the focus and intensity back come Monday. Motivation in terms of exercise and also diet has waivered due to all sorts of life stress so hopefully I can re-align myself starting Monday.

Oh, and yes, as another member of hairy GAF I concur with the trimming.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm leaving on this road trip to reclaim the puppy that was once rightfully mine later today. It's gonna be really tough to get my workouts in this weekend. Luckily I have the bands, so I can bring those, but no pull-ups...

LaneDS

I'm leaving on this road trip to reclaim the puppy that was once rightfully mine later today. It's gonna be really tough to get my workouts in this weekend. Luckily I have the bands, so I can bring those, but no pull-ups...

No (proper) workouts, but you get a puppy back? That sounds well worth it to me sir!

KingGondo

Banned
You can also use the puppy as a yoga block.

fuenf

I'm thinking about joining the fun: What's the best / cheapest way to get P90X in Europe (Germany)? I saw that Amazon UK has it but it's quite expensive (135€ + Shipping) are there any other options?

My motivation has been really taking a hit lately due to my current lack of progress at work, which led to me to flubbing my diet and skipping Shoulders and Arms yesterday. Today is Yoga X though, so I hopefully should be able to take care of some of the stress during this exercise.

Well, the problem isn't necessarily P90X-related as it is a work-related frustration that's been putting me in a bad mood in general. But yeah, posting here helped out with keep my motivation up for the first two weeks, and I'm not planning to stop now.

KingGondo

Banned
Well, the problem isn't necessarily P90X-related as it is a work-related frustration that's been putting me in a bad mood in general. But yeah, posting here helped out with keep my motivation up for the first two weeks, and I'm not planning to stop now.
That's one of the great things about P90X (or any rigorous exercise program)--it acts as great stress relief.

If I'm tired, stressed, angry, etc., I find that P90X really helps. Keep that in mind and do your best to not miss a day. All you have to do is change your clothes, put in the DVD, and press play.

I just started P90 today. Was originally going to start with P90x, but whatever, might as well go in order since I don't want to strain myself too early. And I am very inflexible, so I wanted to loosen up before the P90x stuff comes.

The first workout was pretty easy, but being as inflexible as I am, some of the stretches sucked (mainly the leg ones). But it was nice.

I also ran 3.5 miles afterwards. But my question is, should I do this from now on BEFORE or AFTER the workout?

LaneDS

I just started P90 today. Was originally going to start with P90x, but whatever, might as well go in order since I don't want to strain myself too early. And I am very inflexible, so I wanted to loosen up before the P90x stuff comes.

The first workout was pretty easy, but being as inflexible as I am, some of the stretches sucked (mainly the leg ones). But it was nice.

I also ran 3.5 miles afterwards. But my question is, should I do this from now on BEFORE or AFTER the workout?

If you can, I'd guess running afterwards would be better since you'll be more warmed up and limber. I've found this to be the case with P90X at least, although once you get into that you'll definitely not want to run after some of your workouts unless you're secretly Superman or something.

you should try p90x for a week. I jumped right in without p90 and it's just fine if you take it slow and modify. You'll be amazed how fast your balance, flexibility, and endurance improve after only a week.

I'm not perfect when it comes to doing all the moves in the program but i have added running/weightlifting after my workouts. I usually wait a few hours so i can regain my energy and refuel. plus it's cooler in the evening so that's a bonus.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Something about Tapout puts me off.

Tapout is cool, bro.

fat-tapout-fan-mma.png

you should try p90x for a week. I jumped right in without p90 and it's just fine if you take it slow and modify. You'll be amazed how fast you balance, flexibility, and endurance improve after only a week.

I'm not perfect when it comes to doing all the moves in the program but i have added running/weightlifting after my workouts. I usually wait a few hours so i can regain my energy and refuel. plus it's cooler in the evening so that's a bonus.

I'm starting with P90 too. My cardio is absolute garbage. I'm not overly fat, and I have a decent amount of muscle, especially on my legs, but my heart just can't keep up. I've only done 3 days of P90 but I can't say they were easy at all. For me, I'm fairly certain P90 is the way to go. Keep in mind that I don't have an athletic history. I didn't do sports in school or any of that. I've been sedentary for the last 3 years (before that I worked in a kitchen and got a fair amount of exercise from that) and I just know P90X would kill me. Maybe after 45 days into P90 I'll start wishing I had started with P90X, maybe not.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm starting with P90 too. My cardio is absolute garbage. I'm not overly fat, and I have a decent amount of muscle, especially on my legs, but my heart just can't keep up. I've only done 3 days of P90 but I can't say they were easy at all. For me, I'm fairly certain P90 is the way to go. Keep in mind that I don't have an athletic history. I didn't do sports in school or any of that. I've been sedentary for the last 3 years (before that I worked in a kitchen and got a fair amount of exercise from that) and I just know P90X would kill me. Maybe after 45 days into P90 I'll start wishing I had started with P90X, maybe not.
I know maxcer is just trying to help, but don't let anyone convince you that P90 is wrong for you — let yourself figure that out. A number of us in here (BeautifulMemory, SteveMeister, myself) started out with P90 and can attest to its benefits. Coupled with a good diet, it will definitely improve your cardio, burn off quite a bit of fat, and increase your balance and flexibility, significantly. Also, believe it or not, even the minimal amount of yoga you do in P90 will prepare you for P90X yoga. It's the most difficult routine of all for many people, so having some prior practice will be helpful.

owlbeak

Well dammit, guys. My sister had a kid and I ended up flying down to see her and visit.

Long story short, I've missed two weeks. Should I just start over at the beginning of phase II? I have at least kept to my diet and have still been shedding pounds so that's good. :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Well dammit, guys. My sister had a kid and I ended up flying down to see her and visit.

Long story short, I've missed two weeks. Should I just start over at the beginning of phase II?

2 weeks is a lot my brotha. How far were you into the program? If you just started it, I'd recommend starting from day 1 again.

owlbeak

Hmmm, the P90X App tells you that if you have skipped one week or so, then you have to restart the whole program.
FFFUUUU!!

That's what I was afraid of. I am committed to doing the full 90 days as it's supposed to be done, so I guess tomorrow I'll start over. That's kind of a bummer, but I think I'll get better results in the first 30 days this time since I can lift much more weight than I started with in May. I can't be too disappointed. I've lost ~17lbs, so maybe those abs will finally show up with an extra round of fat burning phase. :) Bright side!

Thanks, Steelo.

zlatko

Banned
Just wrapped up day 2. I've never sweat so much in my life haha. Plyo soaked my work out shirt. Serious ass business.

So far the hardest thing was Ab ripper x on the first day. I felt like dog shit when I finished it. :/

KingGondo

Banned
Just wrapped up day 2. I've never sweat so much in my life haha. Plyo soaked my work out shirt. Serious ass business.

So far the hardest thing was Ab ripper x on the first day. I felt like dog shit when I finished it. :/
Some feel differently, but I get better results by doing Ab Ripper X before the main resistance workout.

Congrats on starting, keep it up!

oatmeal

Banned
Day 44 done...
Plyo...

I'm on vacation at my parents and did it today. My lawd, don' know why, but I sweat buckets.

Felt gewd.

I know this is the P90X thread, but I'm into my 4th week of Insanity and I'm down 9 pounds. (Part of that weight loss is because I started it immediately after a vacation where I gained 4.5 lbs, however. )

Has anyone here done Insanity: Asylum? I've been doing Insanity in my living room with my wife and looking at the Beachbody website I'm uncertain on how much space the exercises require.

Espresso

Banned
Day 4 done. I'm sore all over, but it feels good. I can't seem to do Oblique V Ups correctly -- definitely need to work on my form next time.

D23

I know this is the P90X thread, but I'm into my 4th week of Insanity and I'm down 9 pounds. (Part of that weight loss is because I started it immediately after a vacation where I gained 4.5 lbs, however. )

Has anyone here done Insanity: Asylum? I've been doing Insanity in my living room with my wife and looking at the Beachbody website I'm uncertain on how much space the exercises require.

doing asylum at the moment, and yeah u do need quite a big space for it! at least more space than insanity, because of the agility ladder that you use and the jump rope.

I was also surprised at how much P90X made me sweat...my first day of Plyo had me sweating more than my hour long jogs used to. I love it!

And grats on starting up!

I've done Asylum once. You need just about the same amount of space as Insanity. My living room is around 8x8ft. There's maybe 1 or 2 moves that require more space than something like suicide drills. I wasn't able to use a jump rope because of my ceiling fan. The program is still crazy without it. There really aren't that many jump rope moves. It's mainly used for warm up.

Congrats on the 9lb loss!

tch

Day 23:

Man I've been following the program to the letter, but the past two yoga sessions I just couldn't find the motivation to do them. I realize they are important but after a long day cutting the grass or getting back from hockey late, I just want to relax and not spend over 1.5 hours sweating more. Feels bad.

Man I've been following the program to the letter, but the past two yoga sessions I just couldn't find the motivation to do them. I realize they are important but after a long day cutting the grass or getting back from hockey late, I just want to relax and not spend over 1.5 hours sweating more. Feels bad.

1. No excuses! /tough love

2. Try playing your favorite TV show or movie next time you do that yoga. 1.5 hour goes by quickly when I did it

3. Give yourself some points for struggling. Most people just give up. Just show up to it. Even if means you have to take a late nap. Show up and give your best

Day 23:

If you can try to get a hold of X2 Yoga. It's an hour long and I feel it flows much better.

Shit, I have to pick up my fiance tomorrow morning, and it's about an hour drive down and an hour drive back, so I probably won't be able to do my 3-4 mile run.

Oh well, hopefully the second day of P90 is satisfying enough.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Day 23:

It can be tough since it seems like such a long routine, but it's really only 15 minutes longer than some of the resistance workouts when you add in Ab Ripper X. Just try and tell yourself that. If you're REALLY not feeling it, you could just do the first half, which is where most of the magic happens. I do think you should definitely do the full 92 minutes weekly for your first go-round of the program. It really helps.

tch

If you can try to get a hold of X2 Yoga. It's an hour long and I feel it flows much better.

Interesting I'll have to look into it. It would be great to have a shorter workout for busier days. And the two halves of Yoga X to seem kinda disjointed.

2. Try playing your favorite TV show or movie next time you do that yoga. 1.5 hour goes by quickly when I did it

Wow that's a great idea. Somehow putting on something in the background never occurred to me! I guess because I was learning the forms and listening to the video pretty closely. I have a backlog of podcasts to listen to, should really help.

Thanks for the push guys, I'm going to go knock it out!

FOOTE

Shit, I have to pick up my fiance tomorrow morning, and it's about an hour drive down and an hour drive back, so I probably won't be able to do my 3-4 mile run.

Oh well, hopefully the second day of P90 is satisfying enough.

Just remember that you're in it for the long haul. Don't beat yourself up for missing part of a workout that you plan.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Day 47, Legs & Back + ARX. Did much better on ARX than I expected -- improved over last time, even. Did all reps on all moves, including fifer scissors & mason twists. Did leg climbers with no grabs. Now I just need to work on keeping my legs straight.

Chin-ups and pull-ups are improving with the Fat Gripz. I didn't have to take them off today like I did about halfway through on Wednesday.

Top Bottom