• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What's next DC?

Taking a month "off" of programs since I'll be traveling all next week, then traveling to PAX at the end of the month. During the month I may throw together a 3-4 day per week program with some good videos from X/X2/Insanity. Anyone have suggestions on what 4 videos to do each week?

After that though, I may look into a P90X/X2 hybrid.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Am I alone in thinking that Legs & Back isn't a great legs workout?

Add more weight, and make sure your form is correct. Outside of that, not sure what else to tell you.

Some things to try:

Stay slightly below 90 degrees in the wall squats. Make sure your back is flat against the wall; don't arch or round it. And make sure your shins are straight up and down.

Squat low and add jumps on the Debbie Sieber 80-20's. Be sure to put almost no weight on the off leg -- it's basically there to keep your balance. Think of it as a one leg exercise.

Super skaters -- it's all in the quad. Don't bend over as much as bend your knee.

Get your butt as low as you can in chair pose, with your back & arms straight at about a 60 degree angle. Keep your feet and knees together.

Dead lift squats - as with super skaters, it's all in the quads. Go as low as you can, keeping your chest up. Add weight if your form is good.

Anyone else?

Am I alone in thinking that Legs & Back isn't a great legs workout?

I think Legs & Back isn't as intense as some of the others but with plyo, yoga and kenpo every other day I'm sure the legs are worked enough. Maybe not resistance wise but that is remedied by upping your weight.

I had that workout today and decided to try more weight
and it worked
. If that's not working you enough I would suggest adding weights to the other moves that don't have any like the speed skaters or lunges. It might be tricky with the arm movements though.

You can always add your own exercises to the end of the routine. i dunno, barbell squats or maybe a run.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm gonna do Base and Back today and remembered the No Kip Pullups.

For whatever reason I googled kipping pullups and found this video, which is taking a jab at crossfit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp7fBtj81c

Kipping is supposedly "cheating" for every move since you are using parts of your body you are not supposed to in order to do a rep.

Seriously, watch it. My lungs are hurting from laughing.

Feeling disgusted by Mcdonald's, I ended up running 6 miles at 5 mph at a steep incline and now feel a shit ton better because of it. I didn't plan on running today, but fuck Mcdonald's.

zlatko

Banned
I did day 3. Found it the easiest day. Yeah my arms/shoulders feel hard to lift or whatever, but I think it might have to do with how I'm using my resistance bands. They may be too loose during the exercises, so I need to make better loops/knots.

Ab Ripper X wasn't as shitty as the first time. Still suck at the portion of keeping one leg one inch off the ground, then flip. I just can't do 25 reps of that without my leg shaking violently and dropping instead of hovering an inch. I still get a burn though even if it is flat, so I'll try to just do as many as I can for now floating, before having to go for the full down.

tch

Feeling disgusted by Mcdonald's, I ended up running 6 miles at 5 mph at a steep incline and now feel a shit ton better because of it. I didn't plan on running today, but fuck Mcdonald's.

Nice! (The work ethic not the McDonald's)

I did day 3. Found it the easiest day.

Welcome, It's great to see the influx of so many new people starting up P90X. It gets easier (take it from someone who is only in week 4 haha) yeah Fifer scissors is a tough one. Try taking a break and then coming back and finishing the set if your leg drops. I think the first few times I split into 2 smaller sets of like 15 and 10 before being able to knock all 25 out in a row.

Had first Core Synergistics today. It was AWESOME. Hands down favorite workout so far.

I did day 3. Found it the easiest day. Yeah my arms/shoulders feel hard to lift or whatever, but I think it might have to do with how I'm using my resistance bands. They may be too loose during the exercises, so I need to make better loops/knots..

your arms being hard to lift afterwards is a good sign. next week you might not even get DOMS at all. it's pain but it's the good kind of pain.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If anyone ever wants to really indulge with a not-so-good-for-you protein bar, try the chocolate brownie Protein Plus (30g) PowerBar. Fuuuck, so good. Tastes better than most candy bars and the texture is like a really dense/rich brownie.

FOOTE

Max Plyo kicked my butt today. That workout is no joke. I feel so unbelievably better now than I did before though.

Ixian

Missed my first day yesterday. :( Hadn't been sleeping well the past weekend so I crashed when I got home and missed yoga. Not too upset about it since it's my second to last week anyway but still; streak ruined! D:

Went out to the store today and found a sweet weight bench for my future weight lifting endeavors but it was too big for my car, so ordered it online and it'll be here on Thursday. The nice thing about it is that it has an adjustable rack for the bar so I don't need to get a power rack for my squats, thus saving space and a lot of money.

mehdi_san

Welp, I fucked up today guys. Really not proud of myself. As you may remember I'm still fasting for Ramadan, so no water or food from 3am to 7pm every day. Today was Base and Back, and because I had plans with coworkers for the evening, I thought I would start my work out at 6pm, finish right on time to break the fast at sunset, and then go out. But I didn't go well. I don't know if it's the lack of food or the lack of water, but it was a lot harder than usual. And I just pushed through it like an idiot. And after the last set of Jack-knee tuck i started feeling really bad, couldn't stand up, started having chills, and then I think I passed out. When I woke a few minutes later, I was on the ground. I'll be honest, the whole thing was really scary, I didn't understand what was happening at first. I'm never working out while fasting again, never...

KingGondo

Banned
Welp, I fucked up today guys. Really not proud of myself. As you may remember I'm still fasting for Ramadan, so no water or food from 3am to 7pm every day. Today was Base and Back, and because I had plans with coworkers for the evening, I thought I would start my work out at 6pm, finish right on time to break the fast at sunset, and then go out. But I didn't go well. I don't know if it's the lack of food or the lack of water, but it was a lot harder than usual. And I just pushed through it like an idiot. And after the last set of Jack-knee tuck i started feeling really bad, couldn't stand up, started having chills, and then I think I passed out. When I woke a few minutes later, I was on the ground. I'll be honest, the whole thing was really scary, I didn't understand what was happening at first. I'm never working out while fasting again, never...
Damn... Be careful, man.

You should talk to a doctor and see if he has any advice. You probably shouldn't attempt any workouts until you've broken your fast each day.

mehdi_san

Damn... Be careful, man.

You should talk to a doctor and see if he has any advice. You probably shouldn't attempt any workouts until you've broken your fast each day.
I looked it up a bit online, and the obvious answer I found was don't workout during the day but after breaking the fast. I should have known it, that's why I really feel like an idiot. I guess at least now I know my body's limit.

KingGondo

Banned
I looked it up a bit online, and the obvious answer I found was don't workout during the day but after breaking the fast. I should have known it, that's why I really feel like an idiot. I guess at least now I know my body's limit.
I would think that you should work out around 9 after your body has had a chance to recover and assimilate some of those calories.

Ixian

Working out while fasted isn't necessarily a bad thing; however, if you're going to you should take BCAAs beforehand.

Yikes, that is scary. Glad you were alright in the end, please be careful going forward.

mehdi_san

Working out while fasted isn't necessarily a bad thing; however, if you're going to you should take BCAAs beforehand.
Yeah I read that link that was posted a few pages ago, and I'm not saying working out after a period of fasting is bad. But I didn't even take BCAA, and I didn't drink a single drop of water during my workout, so I was kinda looking for troubles for myself...

zlatko

Banned
Did Yoga yesterday. Found it the most difficult of all the exercises yet. It wasn't the biggest burn or most sweat, nor did it make me the most sore, but it was easily the one I just had to tap out early on holds. My body is just not limber, and so trying to unstiff myself was brutal.

Oh and I couldn't do the move it wants to have you floating above the ground on your hands with your forehead down and your ass up. My balance is just shit. I tried to just keep one leg up to be doing something during that move.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Oh and I couldn't do the move it wants to have you floating above the ground on your hands with your forehead down and your ass up. My balance is just shit. I tried to just keep one leg up to be doing something during that move.
If there's anyone (aside from people with a yoga background) who was able to do that move (Crane) on their first try, I'd be shocked. Nothing to worry about there. Hell, I'm on my second go-round of P90X and I still can't, even though yoga is a strong suit of mine otherwise.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
If there's anyone (aside from people with a yoga background) who was able to do that move (Crane) on their first try, I'd be shocked. Nothing to worry about there. Hell, I'm on my second go-round of P90X and I still can't, even though yoga is a strong suit of mine otherwise.

Crane is hard because I don't want to smash my face, and also because I'm so sweaty at that point in the workout that my knees keep slipping off my elbows. I just need to practice it outside the workout.

tch

The move just hurts. I can find my balance sometimes but my knees digging into my arms hurt like hell. Pretty crazy move regardless

For those of you who remember me posting my story about a friend who was killed and trying to keep a workout promise we had made prior about me getting a six pack, today would have been his birthday. I didn't quite get there, even though I dropped my BF% to 11.5%. I haven't given up. I'm going to keep at it and push the six pack goal to the end of August. I think I can do it.

For those of you who remember me posting my story about a friend who was killed and trying to keep a workout promise we had made prior about me getting a six pack, today would have been his birthday. I didn't quite get there, even though I dropped my BF% to 11.5%. I haven't given up. I'm going to keep at it and push the six pack goal to the end of August. I think I can do it.

I remember. Now you will have to check back in with us in August/September!

tch

Wow that's awesome man.

I did just have a big cheat meal (pizza and beer. I know that last night we would have gotten drunk and then ate some Cottage Inn Pizza to sober up to celebrate his bday). To be fair to me, I purposely ate much smaller portions today than I normally do to compensate. Tracking it on Myfitnesspal shows I'm just at my caloric intake for the day. THink I'll go for a30 minute walk to help digest the food and reflect on life

I did just have a big cheat meal (pizza and beer. I know that last night we would have gotten drunk and then ate some Cottage Inn Pizza to sober up to celebrate his bday). To be fair to me, I purposely ate much smaller portions today than I normally do to compensate. Tracking it on Myfitnesspal shows I'm just at my caloric intake for the day. THink I'll go for a30 minute walk to help digest the food and reflect on life

And regarding six pack...just wanted to share my experience. I have done P90, P90X, more than 90 days of X2 now (X2's schedule is far more flexible). I have lost a lot of weight, my stomach is almost flat, I followed the diet almost to a T, I used some of the most expensive supplements out there, and I still don't have a visible 6 pack. I have come to accept that a lot of it has to do with my body type and fast metabolism, since obviously with different people they have more muscle definitions within just 90 days. But I am not, instead I have more like a swimmer's body, lean and fit.

My point is, if this happens to you, just keep that in mind and don't be disappointed, especially since the stomach area is the hardest to show any improvement. Or maybe you are one of the people whose body have more visible muscle definitions once sculpted. In any case, best of luck to you. Best thoughts to you and your friend

seems like no one is doing p90x+

bowflex bowflex bowflex bowflex bowflex bowflex infomercial

I've done P90X, P90X+, and P90X2 now and I may have broken the most plateaus doing P90X+. The upper body routine in particular is extremely intense. The other two are definitely more complete programs but there are some great exercises that are only in X+.

And regarding six pack...just wanted to share my experience. I have done P90, P90X, more than 90 days of X2 now (X2's schedule is far more flexible). I have lost a lot of weight, my stomach is almost flat, I followed the diet almost to a T, I used some of the most expensive supplements out there, and I still don't have a visible 6 pack. I have come to accept that a lot of it has to do with my body type and fast metabolism, since obviously with different people they have more muscle definitions within just 90 days. But I am not, instead I have more like a swimmer's body, lean and fit.

My point is, if this happens to you, just keep that in mind and don't be disappointed, especially since the stomach area is the hardest to show any improvement. Or maybe you are one of the people whose body have more visible muscle definitions once sculpted. In any case, best of luck to you. Best thoughts to you and your friend

My stomach has definitely been the last place to show improvements, but over the last month or so, I've started to see definite improvements there. There's still some flab, but I'm starting to see the outline of the six pack. I don't follow the diet to a T like you do, but I am counting calories. I actually weigh out all of my food for example.

Did you ever do a double's program? I'm doing that with P90X+ right now. My bigger challenge has been eating enough "good" food.

Can anyone tell me if my diet is too little for doing P90 and running a couple of miles every day? I'm not sure how many calories a P90 workout burns (is there anywhere within the readings that tell you?), but I burn about 200 calories if I stick to my typical 2 miles running/jogging.

So far, I am consuming about 1600 calories a day, 49 from Carbs, 40 from Fat, 120 from Protein.

I am not too worried about the calorie count, but what about the other three numbers? I am trying to lose weight (about 15 lbs worth) while building a little bit of muscle.

Did you ever do a double's program? I'm doing that with P90X+ right now. My bigger challenge has been eating enough "good" food.

No, I have not. I was thinking about it but school is starting soon and to be honest the bigger challenge will be maintaining the workout consistently since I will be working full-time and going to school three nights a week.

If I may share about your bigger challenge - I stopped counting calories recently once I realized that my body was ending up lean and that was reflected by the scale (I weight 138 and I am 5'4), so I just started buying fruits and yogurts for consumption whenever I am hungry. You can also look into trying out some meal replacement shakes or bar - Shakeology is expensive, and there are other options that are either organic and vegan that packs a lot of the "superfood"

The Mana Legend said:
Can anyone tell me if my diet is too little for doing P90 and running a couple of miles every day? I'm not sure how many calories a P90 workout burns (is there anywhere within the readings that tell you?), but I burn about 200 calories if I stick to my typical 2 miles running/jogging.

So far, I am consuming about 1600 calories a day, 49 from Carbs, 40 from Fat, 120 from Protein.

I am not too worried about the calorie count, but what about the other three numbers? I am trying to lose weight (about 15 lbs worth) while building a little bit of muscle.

There's no set number of calories burned per workout for P90. If you are talking about P90X, the average is at least 600

Your calories consumption seem a little bit too little for me. But there are other factors you need to keep in mind - your height, your age your weight, and your activity level outside of the regular exercise.

You will lose weight as long as you keep exercising and eat clean. If you are not hungry and work out just fine, then keep the calories. Otherwise, be careful if you are undereating because it is actually counterproductive.

Also, I would heavily reduce carbs and fat for losing weight. Then that gets complicated too based on the sources of those two nutrients.

But if you want a point of reference, a balanced diet for P90X has only 600 calories of carbs and 120 calories of fat per day. I don't know what the gram equalivent is but it's pretty low. The lowest in the P90X diet for carb is 300 calories a day

No, I have not. I was thinking about it but school is starting soon and to be honest the bigger challenge will be maintaining the workout consistently since I will be working full-time and going to school three nights a week.

If I may share about your bigger challenge - I stopped counting calories recently once I realized that my body was ending up lean and that was reflected by the scale (I weight 138 and I am 5'4), so I just started buying fruits and yogurts for consumption whenever I am hungry. You can also look into trying out some meal replacement shakes or bar - Shakeology is expensive, and there are other options that are either organic and vegan that packs a lot of the "superfood"

There's no set number of calories burned per workout for P90. If you are talking about P90X, the average is at least 600

Your calories consumption seem a little bit too little for me. But there are other factors you need to keep in mind - your height, your age your weight, and your activity level outside of the regular exercise.

You will lose weight as long as you keep exercising and eat clean. If you are not hungry and work out just fine, then keep the calories. Otherwise, be careful if you are undereating because it is actually counterproductive.

Also, I would heavily reduce carbs and fat for losing weight. Then that gets complicated too based on the sources of those two nutrients.

But if you want a point of reference, a balanced diet for P90X has only 600 calories of carbs and 120 calories of fat per day. I don't know what the gram equalivent is but it's pretty low. The lowest in the P90X diet for carb is 300 calories a day

But where do I get my energy from if I drop the carbs and fat even further? I'm no health expert, but I always assumed that your body requires carbs and fat for a reason, hahaha. I mean, if I wasn't exercising this much, I would have no problem at all cutting out the carbs and fat.

I haven't tried a day of really low carbs and fat, but I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Or maybe I'll cut back on the running and focus mainly on the P90 (or do P90 once I get to my weight goal of 155). I have a feeling I'm doing too much just to lose 15 lbs.

But where do I get my energy from if I drop the carbs and fat even further? I'm no health expert, but I always assumed that your body requires carbs and fat for a reason, hahaha. I mean, if I wasn't exercising this much, I would have no problem at all cutting out the carbs and fat.

I haven't tried a day of really low carbs and fat, but I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Or maybe I'll cut back on the running and focus mainly on the P90 (or do P90 once I get to my weight goal of 155). I have a feeling I'm doing too much just to lose 15 lbs.

I don't have a scientific answer for you, so just a personal one. My impression from being acquainted with P90X is that you will find energy from the healthy food that you are supposed to be eating - clean, lean, natural, and if you can afford it, organic. Also, I don't know if you are doing this already, but it helps to eat small meals/snack portions throughout the day. 5 or 6. Essentially, you are constantly eating and drinking water (water is crucial), so you get the energy from there as well.

And you are right about the impact of low carbs. That is one of the most difficult thing about the diet when people first try it. All I can say is low carb diet works, but more importantly you got to lower that fat. And most importantly you really have to examine what kind of food you are eating. Not all fats/carbs are created equal

For example in terms of carbs, bread - Whole wheat of anything (bread, crackers, pasta, pancakes, rice) > white anything. Lentils is an amazing source of carbs, so is edamame.

Fat - very simple, avacado, olive oil, flax seed.

Since you are doing P90, you know Michi's ladder? Follow the first two ladder and don't go above it. You will notice it most of it is low fat

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder

vatstep

I'm not a pro when it comes to diet, ratios, calories from carbs/fat/etc. However, when I did P90 in the past (on two separate occasions a couple of years apart), I ate 1600 calories per day and didn't worry about low carb, fat, or anything specific like that — I just ate fairly clean, and everything fell into place. I didn't supplement the workouts with anything else (aside from the fact that I walk quite a bit), went the full 90 days doing the standard program, and lost 25-30 pounds each time. That is just my experience, though. Again, I'm no expert, so this isn't really advice, per se — just letting you know how things went for me.

If you have the energy to run a few times a week, by all means, go for it. More exercise is never a bad thing — at least not until you injure yourself or start to feel burnt out, but only you can tell if that's the case. Regardless, I think you'll definitely achieve your goal of 15 pounds in three months. Once you get to P90X (if you're planning on doing it next), I do think the diet is much more important, and you can clearly see the difference in the results between people who followed the plan to a T and those that didn't.

vatstep

Tony posted his daily workout on Facebook. Most of this reads like hieroglyphics to me:
I try to stay away from set patterns when I workout these days. Here's today's first time ever workout.

1. Wide Front Pull-ups - 25 reps
2. Dip Ls - 20 reps
3. Peg Board - "Around the World" - :28 seconds
4. 50 Push-ups - :38 seconds
5. High Bar Muscle Ups/ Pull Overs - 6 & 7 reps
6. Parallel Bar Dip Walks - 10 Dips/9 Arm Walks
7. Peg Board - "Dyno" (twice in a row)
8. Handstand Hold (against wall) - 1:28
9. Levers - 19 reps
10. Double Dips Double Ls - 10 reps
11. Peg Board - "Double Wide" (up down 3 times)
12. Shoulder Stand Hold - 4 sets - :12/:15/:18/:18
13. Muscle Ups Rings - 2 sets - 4 reps - 6 reps
14. J-Dips - 2 passes (Forward/back/forward = 1 pass)
15. Peg Board - "Hour Glass"
16. Handstand (free stand/no wall) :40 seconds
17. Plyo Switch Grip Pull-ups - 22 reps
18. 80 Push-ups - 1:06
19. Peg Board - Straight Line"
20. Super Impossibles - 27 reps

Steelo, you should send him the list of moves for Endurance X. I bet he'd hate it, haha.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So what's the verdict on P90X2? How does it compare to P90X, and how much of that extra equipment is really needed?

burnfout

Healthy lunch, P90X time, so good:

iUnoMl.jpg

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So what's the verdict on P90X2? How does it compare to P90X, and how much of that extra equipment is really needed?

Absolutely awesome. Best thing about X2 is that it doesn't feel like just an expansion of X, but a totally different program altogether. There are a few similarities, but X2 is its own thing.

If you care about shredding some nasty pounds of fat, X2 is some sort of magical program. It will also increase your performance, range of motion, endurance, flexibility and balance a lot.

Can't say enough good things about it.

As far as equipment, the foam roller and stability ball are an absolute must.

Against my better judgment, I had skipped up to five days of Week 3 last week and spent that time ruminating. Yesterday I decided to just clear my mind of all my thoughts and meditated, getting rid of all that excess junk that was taking control of my head. In my previous attempts, a setback like this would've prompted me to restart the whole program again since it's a rather major loss of exercise. But I decided that I was going to finish the program since that was the whole reason for this Leans routine in the first place: Just managing to finish P90X. Do my best regardless of the setbacks and forget the rest.

With that in mind, I woke up early today for the first day of Recovery Week, Yoga X. As I had expected, it was far more uncomfortable than my last time. It was like going back to very beginning of the program, where my body wasn't as strong and my joints as flexible. But I cleared my mind completely of all those thoughts while doing each pose, only thinking of my breathing and reaching. I even made a conscious effort to even clear my thoughts of the next routine or even when the current routine was going to end, only staying in the present moment. I really didn't do much of that previously, and I had positive thoughts going through my head like how well I was doing compared to the last time. But as I was going through all that today I had the realization that stuff like that was also keeping my mind off the things that I should be doing (a realization that I cleared out immediately). It was still painful and I still had problems doing Prayer Twist, Half Moon, and Right Angle pose sets, but I just paused for a second when I actually felt pain, stopped to breathe, then jumped back in. At the end I managed to hold my form better and longer than I did in my previous routines, and more importantly, really cleared my head and refocused myself. It turned out to be more of an meditation routine than an exercise workout, which I really needed.

This morning was the first half, and I'll do the second half before bed so that I can clear out my thoughts and get a good night's rest.

Samus4145

Finished Day 1 yesterday. I was due to start some kind of system as it has been 4 years since I've been to a gym. I was forced to stop going by Doctors due to 2 herniated discs, one in my neck and one in my back as well as a bum left shoulder (can't raise it completly straight without pain).

The morning after pain feels good, it feels good.

My notes: I hate you Tony, pushups should be outlawed! I know, I know they will get easier.

KingGondo

Banned
Absolutely awesome. Best thing about X2 is that it doesn't feel like just an expansion of X, but a totally different program altogether. There are a few similarities, but X2 is its own thing.

If you care about shredding some nasty pounds of fat, X2 is some sort of magical program. It will also increase your performance, range of motion, endurance, flexibility and balance a lot.

Can't say enough good things about it.

As far as equipment, the foam roller and stability ball are an absolute must.
I think I'm definitely gonna dive into X2 after I'm done with my second round of X.

I've already seen a massive improvement in balance and flexibility via X1, excited to see where X2 can take me. :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Tony posted his daily workout on Facebook. Most of this reads like hieroglyphics to me:

Steelo, you should send him the list of moves for Endurance X. I bet he'd hate it, haha.

Haha, I wonder what Tony would think about Endurance X. We should challenge him.

I think I'm definitely gonna dive into X2 after I'm done with my second round of X.

I've already seen a massive improvement in balance and flexibility via X1, excited to see where X2 can take me. :)

You won't regret it. X2 takes fitness to another level. Then after you finish that program, you can mix things up and come up with your own schedule, which is what I'm doing now.

Last week was regular Chest and Back, today is Chest + Back + Balance. Freaking pumped to do those psycho push-ups!

Top Bottom