• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

drspeedy

Random interruption post (I seem to make a lot those...): I just passed day 30 of insanity (Saturday), but as a P90X alum I thought "why don't I go back, try an old P90X workout and see how I do?".

So yesterday I popped Core Synergistics into the DVD player and was surprised how easily things came back. I don't recall exactly where I started that workout in terms of reps and extra 'pause button' breaks (I know I took a lot the first 30 days!), but I made it through no problem this time, kept up with everything and didn't feel too beat up. It's definitely a different workout from Insane or Cardio Abs, that's for sure.

Didn't change my mind about either program, they're both pretty intense and have different approaches- although I think I prefer the pace of I60 to P90X, I like the 30 second water breaks and then right back to the action. But it did make me think I should interject a little chest and back or something in once in a while, maybe as a second round workout in the evenings.

Sorry to interject. Carry on!

KingGondo

Banned
You won't regret it. X2 takes fitness to another level. Then after you finish that program, you can mix things up and come up with your own schedule, which is what I'm doing now.
I'll definitely do that.

What's crazy is that when I ordered P90X, my goal was to simply survive it and make it to 90 days. Now I don't want to stop and could definitely see myself continuing with the program for a year or more. It's very addictive and has resulted in some fantastic improvements in my overall fitness and lifestyle. I simply don't want to stop.

Re: names of the upcoming workouts, I'm curious to see how far Tony can take Plyo workout names.

Plyometrics
Plyocide
Plyopocalypse
Plyogeddon

drspeedy

Goodbye Pure Cardio, hello Max Interval Circuit. Sorry body.

hahaha- last 2 weeks I dropped a plyo in favor of a max interval (not right I know, but I hate the plyo for some reason). Kicked. My. Butt.

First time through I only made it to around the 25 minute mark. Second time I got ~35 minutes before I hit pause and took a breather, but managed to finish. I couldn't just give up, but I can see why this is later in the program.

nubbe

I bike 5 days a week to work and yet when I do Plyometrics my legs get so fucked up I can hardly walk the day after...

Every week too, you'd think the muscles would be used to doing the Plyometrics exercise and yet it destroys me.

But yet the strength and endurance growth is pretty spectacular.
Feels good man.

OG Kush

Random interruption post (I seem to make a lot those...): I just passed day 30 of insanity (Saturday), but as a P90X alum I thought "why don't I go back, try an old P90X workout and see how I do?".

So yesterday I popped Core Synergistics into the DVD player and was surprised how easily things came back. I don't recall exactly where I started that workout in terms of reps and extra 'pause button' breaks (I know I took a lot the first 30 days!), but I made it through no problem this time, kept up with everything and didn't feel too beat up. It's definitely a different workout from Insane or Cardio Abs, that's for sure.

Didn't change my mind about either program, they're both pretty intense and have different approaches- although I think I prefer the pace of I60 to P90X, I like the 30 second water breaks and then right back to the action. But it did make me think I should interject a little chest and back or something in once in a while, maybe as a second round workout in the evenings.

Sorry to interject. Carry on!
Do the p90x cardio workout, you'll be like wtf is this?! How can this be cardio workout if I ain't drenched in sweat?!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I was wondering, what's everyone's weaknesses and strengths?

As far as weaknesses, pull-ups are still a bitch to do. I've seen improvement since I started using the pull-up bar 4 weeks ago, but the increases are not as drastic as my chin-ups. I also have some trouble doing curls with heavier weights, although I have increased the amount I've used by 5 pounds for a lot of exercises. Still, those are by far the 2 areas that I have to improve the most.

As for strengths, gotta say that legs moves are easily my forté. Last month I killed it during the Legs and Back, Base and Back and Plyocide routines-- each better than the last one. I also think my core is getting pretty strong since I can do all the moves in ARX2. My flexibility also increased a lot thanks to X2 Yoga.

I've been trying to gain weight since I started my X/X2 mass hybrid about a month ago and things are looking promising. I've been using a weight gainer and have been eating more than ever, and so far I've gained a good 5 pounds. My tube of powder is getting empty, but I'm thinking about getting another one since it's giving me good results.

LaneDS

Tony posted his daily workout on Facebook. Most of this reads like hieroglyphics to me:

Steelo, you should send him the list of moves for Endurance X. I bet he'd hate it, haha.

I saw that this morning and while it's cool he mixes it up, it's also a little disappointing to me because it's a reminder that while P90X and P90X2 are great, they're not and will never be all inclusive programs. It's nothing I didn't already know but seeing some of the stuff Tony does to keep the physique he has basically tells me what people more fit than me all along have been saying- eventually you'll likely want to go to, or own, your own gym equipment for maximum results.

Oh, and hi everyone. Back from a shitshow of a bachelor's getaway weekend and I am now ready to bring it for the next 30 days in a big way.

I'm starting with P90 too. My cardio is absolute garbage. I'm not overly fat, and I have a decent amount of muscle, especially on my legs, but my heart just can't keep up. I've only done 3 days of P90 but I can't say they were easy at all. For me, I'm fairly certain P90 is the way to go. Keep in mind that I don't have an athletic history. I didn't do sports in school or any of that. I've been sedentary for the last 3 years (before that I worked in a kitchen and got a fair amount of exercise from that) and I just know P90X would kill me. Maybe after 45 days into P90 I'll start wishing I had started with P90X, maybe not.

Glad to see there are other folks in the thread starting with P90.

I'm currently in week four of P90 and I'm glad I started with it. One of the most difficult things for me is making time in my schedule to do the workouts. Since P90 is shorter, it's a lot easier to make time for a 30 minute workout versus an hour or more. Now that I'm really into the routine, I'm getting kind of addicted to it. I'll move on to level 2 in a couple of weeks and if/when that gets too easy, I'll pick up used copies of the P90 Master Series DVDs and do those. By the time I'm done, I think I'll be really itching to try P90X... although I'm already dreading Yoga X, ha ha.

As far as weaknesses, pull-ups are still a bitch to do. I've seen improvement since I started using the pull-up bar 4 weeks ago, but the increases are not as drastic as my chin-ups. I also have some trouble doing curls with heavier weights, although I have increased the amount I've used by 5 pounds for a lot of exercises. Still, those are by far the 2 areas that I have to improve the most.

As for strengths, gotta say that legs moves are easily my forté. Last month I killed it during the Legs and Back, Base and Back and Plyocide routines-- each better than the last one. I also think my core is getting pretty strong since I can do all the moves in ARX2. My flexibility also increased a lot thanks to X2 Yoga.

I've been trying to gain weight since I started my X/X2 mass hybrid about a month ago and things are looking promising. I've been using a weight gainer and have been eating more than ever, and so far I've gained a good 5 pounds. My tube of powder is getting empty, but I'm thinking about getting another one since it's giving me good results.

I still have weaknesses when it comes to Yoga. I can't get through the whole Half Moon sequence in X2 without coming up and taking a breather. I'm seeing improvements tho.

Strengths would be pull ups. Love cranking those out. My numbers have gone up this go on wide front which I'm loving.

Ixian

Last week of P90X for me! I was planning on skipping my last week so I could start my resistance training, but since I had to order my weight bench online and it won't be here till mid-week I might as well finish out the 90 days.

I'm really interested in seeing some responses to this as well.

Strengths:
- My flexibility definitely improved during P90X. I used to be kinda iffy on the deep lunges you do in Insanity post-hip flexor stretch, but now I bust those out no problem.
- I'm pretty good at most things legs-related, though my knees still want to cry after a while.
- Despite my size (well, I'm not as big these days, but even back when I was), my cardio is really good, I think. When I stop to take a break it's usually out of consideration for my knees, and it's usually only for a couple of seconds.

Weaknesses:
- Despite my flexibility improvements I'm still inflexible in a lot of areas.
- Overhand pullups.
- I don't feel like I improved as much as I could have when it comes to resistance training. I also have trouble keeping form with certain workouts like tricep kickbacks.

KingGondo

Banned
I still have weaknesses when it comes to Yoga. I can't get through the whole Half Moon sequence in X2 without coming up and taking a breather. I'm seeing improvements tho.

Strengths would be pull ups. Love cranking those out. My numbers have gone up this go on wide front which I'm loving.
Do you shout "BRING IT!" with every wide front pull up you do?

Seems to help Tony.

Got myself Body Beast.

Doing a month of P90X then going onto this. They advertised this wrong IMO. Showing a bunch of roid-heads wasn't the way to go. The actual result videos show guys with great results (although they don't really differ from P90X) and they don't look like bubbles. Not one person in the results looks huge. The results were quite average also IMO.

Anyways. I tried the abs workout tonight in place of X-2 Abs and it hurt. I managed to keep up with all of the moves despite being in agony after a few reps (yet I can't do this with P90X).

If anyone can wait 3-4 months ill be happy to review it and ill post results. I need to buy some new equipment though.

After that im gonna try Tapout-XT.

The whole "Unleash the beast" shit got old after the first few sayings but the presenter says it every 5 seconds like its the only sentence in his vocabulary!

Got myself Body Beast.

Doing a month of P90X then going onto this. They advertised this wrong IMO. Showing a bunch of roid-heads wasn't the way to go. The actual result videos show guys with great results (although they don't really differ from P90X) and they don't look like bubbles. Not one person in the results looks huge. The results were quite average also IMO.

Anyways. I tried the abs workout tonight in place of X-2 Abs and it hurt. I managed to keep up with all of the moves despite being in agony after a few reps (yet I can't do this with P90X).

If anyone can wait 3-4 months ill be happy to review it and ill post results. I need to buy some new equipment though.

After that im gonna try Tapout-XT.

The whole "Unleash the beast" shit got old after the first few sayings but the presenter says it every 5 seconds like its the only sentence in his vocabulary!

I'd definitely like to hear your review. Are you going to be following the diet as well?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
What do you think about the kids and the instructor in Body Beast? Are they as douchey as they look?

I made fun of the program, but if people keep posting good impressions I might have to check it out.

I'd definitely would like to hear your review. Are you going to be following the diet as well?

Im going to aim for 3k calories. I just don't have the money for 5-6k calories a day, and I can't see how I could cram that much food in me as well.

My current routine is:

3 egg omelette + Protein Shake + Breakfast Bar ~ 600 calories
Protein Bar ~ 300 calories
Chicken Fillet with Cous Cous ~ 400 calories
Protein Shake - 300 Calories
Snack on nuts - ~ 200 calories
Chicken and Veg - ~300 Calories
Milk - 85 calories
Protein Shake before bed - 300 calories

Im already around 2500 calories a day.

I need to find more ways of calorie intake. I cant just keep upping on shakes.

What do you think about the kids and the instructor in Body Beast? Are they as douchey as they look?

I made fun of the program, but if people keep posting good impressions I might have to check it out.

I've only done abs but the guy kept saying Beast which annoyed the shit out of me. Not everyone in the videos seem to be meat heads either. The main guy might grow on me. Tony Horton annoyed me at first but now i think hes awesome.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
That sounds super gross. Aren't they just empty calories though?

No, Extra-Virgin olive oil is really good for you. It has an excellent Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio. It'll help kick your overall ratio in the right direction, especially if you eat a lot of vegetable oil (i.e. corn, canola, etc, which you shouldn't).

You can also try coconut oil, which is even better for you. 130cal per tablespoon. I recommend Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil. You might need to heat it a little to melt it before you blend it in -- it's solid up to about 76 degrees F.

No, Extra-Virgin olive oil is really good for you. It has an excellent Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio. It'll help kick your overall ratio in the right direction, especially if you eat a lot of vegetable oil (i.e. corn, canola, etc, which you shouldn't).

You can also try coconut oil, which is even better for you. 130cal per tablespoon. I recommend Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil. You might need to heat it a little to melt it before you blend it in -- it's solid up to about 76 degrees F.

Hmmmmm. Need to have a shake now. Im expecting the face of regret.

My Casein Protein powder should be delivered any second now. I plan on having my first protein shake an hour or so before bed.

But at the same time, I am also trying to keep my weight down in terms of fat. Should I just have the protein powder with water for now?

LaneDS

My Casein Protein powder should be delivered any second now. I plan on having my first protein shake an hour or so before bed.

But at the same time, I am also trying to keep my weight down in terms of fat. Should I just have the protein powder with water for now?

In water versus what? If you have skim milk, that can be a good source of both additional calories and protein and you won't have to worry about fat content. That said, good fats are an important part of your diet so just avoiding fat straight up is probably not a great idea.

Ixian

I made my shakes with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze branded almond milk. 1 Cup serving = 40 calories/3.5g fat/2g carbs/1g protein.

zlatko

Banned
So just wrapped up first time of Kenpo X. Liked it the most out of all the work outs so far. I sweat a lot, and was able to do everything without issues. Legs shook at the end for horse stance so I know I was doing that portion right. I feel a good burn in the right spots.

So here's my question. Tomorrow is rest/xstretch, but Wednesday I won't be able to get a work out in since I'm going to be out during my scheduled work out routine time. Is it advised I just do day 1 again tomorrow, then skip Wednesday, then do day 2 work out on Thursday?

oatmeal

Banned
Ugh...

I got the flu while on vacation back home...I did Yoga yesterday, today is supposed to be Legs/Back and then I have rest and then recovery into Phase 3...might have to delay it a few days.

Ugh...

LaneDS

So just wrapped up first time of Kenpo X. Liked it the most out of all the work outs so far. I sweat a lot, and was able to do everything without issues. Legs shook at the end for horse stance so I know I was doing that portion right. I feel a good burn in the right spots.

So here's my question. Tomorrow is rest/xstretch, but Wednesday I won't be able to get a work out in since I'm going to be out during my scheduled work out routine time. Is it advised I just do day 1 again tomorrow, then skip Wednesday, then do day 2 work out on Thursday?

Yeah, do day 1 tomorrow and take the following day off. Yeah, it's not the ideal schedule, but I think it's better to shift your rest day around by one day than to take two days off in a row.

Ugh...

I got the flu while on vacation back home...I did Yoga yesterday, today is supposed to be Legs/Back and then I have rest and then recovery into Phase 3...might have to delay it a few days.

Ugh...

Most people seem to think focusing on getting better before working out is your best bet, so don't worry too much, try to eat right while you're sick at least, and you'll be back at it in no time.

Feel better!

FOOTE

Ugh...

Ugh...
Eh. I personally would not workout if I were sick with the flu. Such an increased chance of hurting yourself.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah, do day 1 tomorrow and take the following day off. Yeah, it's not the ideal schedule, but I think it's better to shift your rest day around by one day than to take two days off in a row.

Most people seem to think focusing on getting better before working out is your best bet, so don't worry too much, try to eat right while you're sick at least, and you'll be back at it in no time.

Feel better!

That's what I figured.

Since I won't be doing X Stretch or whatever, do you guys recommend it over just resting and not doing it on a typical day 7? Just so I know for a week from now if I should do it or just enjoy the off day.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That's what I figured.

Since I won't be doing X Stretch or whatever, do you guys recommend it over just resting and not doing it on a typical day 7? Just so I know for a week from now if I should do it or just enjoy the off day.
If you're sore and feel like you need it, give it a whirl. It's really a person-to-person thing when it comes to whether or not it's necessary, though, so you'll need to gauge that for yourself. I've personally never done it because I didn't feel like I needed to. My "rest" day is not so much of a rest day anyway, as I usually do a light cardio workout plus tons of walking around the city.

I posted in this thread a looooong time ago, excited to get into P90x.

Well, I did it for two weeks, and then out of the blue, I stopped. For two reasons: one, I'm a freelance motion graphics designer, and I got into a stretch of 18 hour days for two weeks, and two, I really couldn't keep up. I havent been really physically active for the last 7-8 years or so, and I found myself getting exhausted/mentally defeated after about 15 minutes into the actual workout.

I'm not really too out of shape . . . I'm in my mid-30s, 6'4" and 205 lbs, but I really want to get into a better physical condition.

Any advice? Is there a better 'start up' program to invest in? I see another poster above mentioned P90, rather than the P90x program. Should I look into that?

eosos

Banned
Wow, forgot how hard and awesome chest, shoulders and triceps are. Felt good after finishing that workout. Kinda sad that I only have two weeks left now.

OG Kush

Yeh for extra calories and nutrients use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. Coconut oil also gives a great taste. Add it to some vegetables or dry chicken and you'll see how good it is!

LaneDS

Well, I did it for two weeks, and then out of the blue, I stopped. For two reasons: one, I'm a freelance motion graphics designer, and I got into a stretch of 18 hour days for two weeks, and two, I really couldn't keep up. I havent been really physically active for the last 7-8 years or so, and I found myself getting exhausted/mentally defeated after about 15 minutes into the actual workout.

I'm not really too out of shape . . . I'm in my mid-30s, 6'4" and 205 lbs, but I really want to get into a better physical condition.

Any advice? Is there a better 'start up' program to invest in? I see another poster above mentioned P90, rather than the P90x program. Should I look into that?

Sounds like you have a good answer already- Power 90 has helped transition a lot of people into P90X. Or alternatively you could try P90X again but just expect it to kick your ass (it should!) and you can do what you can, modify some/lots of moves, and watch yourself improve over time if you're up for the challenge. Either way, if you're doing something to improve your health you're on the right track.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Yeah, I would consider giving P90 a try. It's a little bit more cardio-oriented than P90X, although it's still a well-rounded program and will improve your fitness across the board. I did it myself and it was definitely beneficial in getting me ready for P90X. The workouts are also significantly shorter than P90X, so they'll help you ease into the routine of exercising six days a week a bit better.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll definitely give it a shot. Man, doing the p90x warmup winded me enough for the real exercises to kick my ass.

Another thing . . . I shouldn't expect too much of an improvement at the start, correct? I've been reading that you really see a big change the second or third time through the routine.

Also, unrelated, but I lost 10 pounds over the last 1.5 months since I changed my diet. I totally cut soda out of it, except for maybe a can when I'm out every other week or so. I'm ready to move forward with this!

vatstep

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll definitely give it a shot. Man, doing the p90x warmup winded me enough for the real exercises to kick my ass.

Another thing . . . I shouldn't expect too much of an improvement at the start, correct? I've been reading that you really see a big change the second or third time through the routine.

Also, unrelated, but I lost 10 pounds over the last 1.5 months since I changed my diet. I totally cut soda out of it, except for maybe a can when I'm out every other week or so. I'm ready to move forward with this!
I did P90 twice over the past few years and lost around 25-30 pounds each time. My weight loss was pretty consistent throughout the three month period — two pounds lost per week or so. When you'll see results probably varies per person, depending on the intensity of their workouts and discipline with their diet. Generally, though, yeah, I've heard that most people saw the greatest changes in the last month of P90, and the same goes with P90X.

Congrats on the weight loss so far! Adding in regular exercise will definitely help you shed even more pounds faster.

Espresso

Banned
Well, it happened. My band snapped on me at the halfway mark, popping me pretty hard on my pinky and on my protective goggles. Luckily I always wear goggles. My finger's bleeding a bit and feels numb. I don't have a backup band so I'll have to postpone my workout at least a day while I hunt down a replacement, which sucks.

gFtl8.jpg

grumble

Well, it happened. My band snapped on me at the halfway mark, popping me pretty hard on my pinky and in my protective goggles. Luckily I always wear goggles. My finger's bleeding a bit and feels numb. I don't have a backup band so I'll have to postpone my workout at least a day while I hunt down a replacement, which sucks.

You are so damn smart to wear goggles. You could have been blinded.

Resistance bands are dangerous as hell.

Espresso

Banned
You are so damn smart to wear goggles. You could have been blinded.

Resistance bands are dangerous as hell.

Thanks, it's scary to think about for sure. It's better to be safe than sorry, as they say.

Can you kind folks please recommend me some high quality, durable, safe bands? Unfortunately, I can't install a pull-up bar.

Top Bottom