• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

ummmmmmm ok

PJX4N.jpg

Fuck him up Tony!

Btw any recommendation on muscle milk? School is starting which means I will be gone at least 13 hours a day, 3 times a week. I need to go mobile with my nutrition. Syntha 6 has pre-made shakes but I thought muscle milk isn't bad either

LaneDS

Long story (I'll explain when I come back properly)... in short no, but it's not that I don't want to, just struggling pretty badly with depression and life in general.

Can P90X GAF help in some way? Hope you can get back to it soon, and feel better both mentally and physically (for me they definitely go hand-in-hand).

Long story (I'll explain when I come back properly)... in short no, but it's not that I don't want to, just struggling pretty badly with depression and life in general.

You got GAF on your side, should you need to vent.

And I know the feeling, depression and mental distress are some of the reasons I force myself into working out, it helps a lot.

Just bought some goggles, you guys have me worried!

Anyway seriously feeling it in my legs today after my first time of plyo yesterday, that's a good thing right?

Also not looking forward to yoga tomorrow, a tree is more flexible than me haha

LaneDS

Just bought some goggles, you guys have me worried!

Anyway seriously feeling it in my legs today after my first time of plyo yesterday, that's a good thing right?

Also not looking forward to yoga tomorrow, a tree is more flexible than me haha

You will dominate tree pose then.

daemissary

Whoever suggested the Quest Protein bars awhile back is the best. These things are great after they've been in the microwave 10 secs and are now my go-to midday work snack. Thanks!

LaneDS

Whoever suggested the Quest Protein bars awhile back is the best. These things are great after they've been in the microwave 10 secs and are now my go-to midday work snack. Thanks!

They are indeed great, and ingredient wise I'm not sure you can do better as far as protein bars go.

Insanity MAX Interval Circuit- holy fuck. I got through forty of the sixty minutes and said "that's good!" (today should have been an X2 rest day, so I was mostly making up the last twenty five minutes of Plyocide I bailed on yesterday). Totally drenched, and probably should have scanned the video prior to starting as some of those moves were so foreign I spent a fair amount of time fumbling through things.

As hard as P90X gets, Insanity will likely always be harder for me... cardio is just not my forte.

Btw any recommendation on muscle milk? School is starting which means I will be gone at least 13 hours a day, 3 times a week. I need to go mobile with my nutrition. Syntha 6 has pre-made shakes but I thought muscle milk isn't bad either

Anyone?

Even if I am on a rest day, should I still run for a bit on the treadmill?

It just doesn't feel right having a rest day without doing any form of exercising, hahaha.

How does spending a few hours a day swimming compare to p90x?

I kind of self taught myself how to swim today, have a pool, should have done it years ago.

Anyways, I felt a nice energy burn and quick recovery in the water.

I'm gonna start p90x when we close or pool, maybe sooner, just wondering how well it world work for me compared to p90x. 270 pounds 5'10"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey everybody,

I got back from my road trip, and I'm got my dog. Everyone's fine, but unfortunately I was in a pretty bad accident on the way up. Came over a hill after 50+ miles of completely open road on I-75 and traffic was backed up from another crash a mile ahead. Reacted a second too late (or maybe less than a second who knows) and swerved off to the right and almost got to a stop but I braked too hard and lost control, went back onto the road and hit the corner of a pick-up (very little damage to that car as I wasn't going that fast). I couldn't believe it was happening and my car is basically toast. I don't really have a scratch on me but it was truly terrifying. I made the trip the rest of the way with a rental car and everyone is fine and home safe now.

Anyway I know that wasn't really on topic. But during the trip even the night of the crash I still managed to do most of my workouts. I did almost all of legs and back on the balcony of a Super 8 in Loudon, Tennessee where we found a motel partially just to make sure I was really as OK as I seemed and to stay on schedule when I know I would have taken absolutely any excuse not to work out like 6 months ago, let alone this.

So anyway I'm home, I'm okay, and counting my blessings and reflecting on how I've changed in the past year or so. Good to be home, anyway. Hey everybody :p

How does spending a few hours a day swimming compare to p90x?

I kind of self taught myself how to swim today, have a pool, should have done it years ago.

Anyways, I felt a nice energy burn and quick recovery in the water.

I'm gonna start p90x when we close or pool, maybe sooner, just wondering how well it world work for me compared to p90x. 270 pounds 5'10"

It depends on how fluent you are with the different strokes.

LaneDS

Hey everybody,

I got back from my road trip, and I'm got my dog. Everyone's fine, but unfortunately I was in a pretty bad accident on the way up. Came over a hill after 50+ miles of completely open road on I-75 and traffic was backed up from another crash a mile ahead. Reacted a second too late (or maybe less than a second who knows) and swerved off to the right and almost got to a stop but I braked too hard and lost control, went back onto the road and hit the corner of a pick-up (very little damage to that car as I wasn't going that fast). I couldn't believe it was happening and my car is basically toast. I don't really have a scratch on me but it was truly terrifying. I made the trip the rest of the way with a rental car and everyone is fine and home safe now.

Anyway I know that wasn't really on topic. But during the trip even the night of the crash I still managed to do most of my workouts. I did almost all of legs and back on the balcony of a Super 8 in Loudon, Tennessee where we found a motel partially just to make sure I was really as OK as I seemed and to stay on schedule when I know I would have taken absolutely any excuse not to work out like 6 months ago, let alone this.

So anyway I'm home, I'm okay, and counting my blessings and reflecting on how I've changed in the past year or so. Good to be home, anyway. Hey everybody :p

Damn dude! Glad you're ok but that's a bummer about your car. Money comes and money goes, so it's good that you have your health (was your pup ok? Post pictures if it's ok. Or if it's not.).

KingGondo

Banned
Hey everybody,

Damn man, glad you're OK. :)

I'll be taking inspiration from your dedication for the next few days. I'll be on vacation until the 8th, but I brought my workout clothes, bands and DVDs and hopefully won't miss a beat in spite of all the food and drink temptations around.

Hey everybody,

Whoa, glad you're ok.

Even if I am on a rest day, should I still run for a bit on the treadmill?

It just doesn't feel right having a rest day without doing any form of exercising, hahaha.

I tried both heavy and no exercise on my rest days in the past few weeks and I must say that getting a full days rest on sunday really affected my body. Monday came around and i had lots of energy for my post-workout run.

I get that guilty feeling too like im being lazy but then i remember how hard I have worked at it all week. I would try different things. Maybe a bike ride or a long walk in the evening.

You must check in after tomorrow. Plyo is everyone's favorite rite of passage

Yeah, it was brutal. I made it, though. I had to pause a couple times to gather my shit, but I made it. It feels really good having to PEEL your t-shirt off of you after a workout like that.

My chest and shoulders are sore as hell from yesterday. I'd imagine my quads will be killing me tomorrow. Those Mary Katherine Lunges are TERRIBLE.

FOOTE

Hey everybody,

Glad you're OK.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yeah, it was brutal. I made it, though. I had to pause a couple times to gather my shit, but I made it. It feels really good having to PEEL your t-shirt off of you after a workout like that.

My chest and shoulders are sore as hell from yesterday. I'd imagine my quads will be killing me tomorrow. Those Mary Katherine Lunges are TERRIBLE.

In X2 you do Mary Katherine Lunges holding weight :p

Glad you are ok, Hawkian.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn dude! Glad you're ok but that's a bummer about your car. Money comes and money goes, so it's good that you have your health (was your pup ok? Post pictures if it's ok. Or if it's not.).
Damn Hawkian, that's crazy. Glad you're ok. I was wondering where you've been. Can we get a pic of the dog? :)
Hehe, sure guys. Here's her letting us strap her in the backseat like a human, and posing in the forest.
nwBPl.jpg
o59Eb.jpg

She's a wonderful dog.

For good measure here's my totaled car. :(
fRK8k.jpg

Definitely could have been much worse. The crash was all before I picked up the dog (thankfully) and the ride down with her was totally fine.

Appropriately enough this is my recovery week. Feels just about right.

LaneDS

Wow, shit, you weren't kidding... reiterating that it's very fortunate you're safe man!

Also, awesome dog; there are some days I'd trade my car for a sweet dog.

You made it! That's all it matters. Hang in there and one day you will find your cardiovascular strength improves like crazy

Ixian

That is a beautiful dog! Last year I found out the hard way that I can't own one with my current roommate after he decided to get one and then discovered that at some point between childhood and adulthood he developed an allergic reaction to them. Felt so bad having to give away the dog. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
nekura said:
That is a beautiful dog! Last year I found out the hard way that I can't own one with my current roommate after he decided to get one and then discovered that at some point between childhood and adulthood he developed an allergic reaction to them. Felt so bad having to give away the dog. :(
Thank you! And that really sucks. Hopefully one day soon you can get one in your one place :)

I'm doing Endurance X Saturday. Who's joining me?
Me! Erry Saturday :D
Great dog! A Keeshond, right? Had one when I was growing up. :)
Yep, exactly! She's the best.

So after watching my roommates attempt P90X last year (using a... modified, irregular routine with pirated DVDs...), I'm interested in tackling the program myself this fall. I've got a few questions, though, and I'd be grateful for any answers:

1) I'd like to just buy an "All-In-One" P90X kit that includes everything I would ever need, but it seems like even the P90X Ultimate kit is missing stuff like the Yoga Block and Yoga/Jump Mat. The protective glasses also seem important. How should I go about getting the proper equipment? Go with P90X Ultimate and buy a block, mat, and glasses (and anything else...?) separate? Or go with the Base and buy everything else separate? Would I be missing something important with the 5 P90X Plus Workouts?

2) How substantial are the nutrition guides and recipes? Are they pretty intuitive and easy to keep up with? My fear is that it's just going to simply say "You need X amount of proteins and carbs, which you can get by eating steak and some spaghetti" and leave it at that. I'm not familiar at all with nutrition and wouldn't be able to keep up with it unless I had some more explicit guides with detailed recipes and instructions.

Thanks for any help!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So after watching my roommates attempt P90X last year (using a... modified, irregular routine with pirated DVDs...), I'm interested in tackling the program myself this fall. I've got a few questions, though, and I'd be grateful for any answers:

1) I'd like to just buy an "All-In-One" P90X kit that includes everything I would ever need, but it seems like even the P90X Ultimate kit is missing stuff like the Yoga Block and Yoga/Jump Mat. The protective glasses also seem important. How should I go about getting the proper equipment? Go with P90X Ultimate and buy a block, mat, and glasses (and anything else...?) separate? Or go with the Base and buy everything else separate? Would I be missing something important with the 5 P90X Plus Workouts?

2) How substantial are the nutrition guides and recipes? Are they pretty intuitive and easy to keep up with? My fear is that it's just going to simply say "You need X amount of proteins and carbs, which you can get by eating steak and some spaghetti" and leave it at that. I'm not familiar at all with nutrition and wouldn't be able to keep up with it unless I had some more explicit guides with detailed recipes and instructions.

Thanks for any help!
The nutrition guide has recipes and ingredients to buy. I don't really know about the packages. "Everything you would ever need" is pretty broad ;)

Thanks for any help!

The ultimate P90X package is nice but not necessary. For example, it doesn't come with weights nor the pull up bar. You can do the program with just the bands, but you also want to make sure you have enough space for it. Weights are really important. The recovery drink that comes with the package is also good for just one month.

Yoga block you have to buy separately. They are cheap. Use a shoe box if you must. Jump mat is awesome but pricey. It really helps with noise buffering and doubles as a yoga mat. I'd recommend it but you can buy the cheaper kind or just get a yoga mat for yoga. A lot of people don't use the jump mat at all for plyo or jump training

The diet will make more sense once you have the guide. There's a basic quota of protein/fat/carbs that you have to meet, and you can either just follow the recipes or mix and match on your own. It will take time because you also will want to control your caloric intake too

P90X + is something separate and meant for after you finish a round of P90X

Top Bottom