• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

So what's the average workout time and what equipment do you actually need?

Abs - 10mins
Cardio - 30 mins
Build Back & Bis - 50 mins
Build Legs - 40 mins
Build Shoulders - 40 mins
Build Chest & Tris - 50 mins

The second stage ones involving bulk are much shorter ranging from 30-40 mins.

Warm up is around 5 mins and cooldown is around 3 mins.

You only need dumbbells and either a bench or stability ball, i just use the ball as i have one from P90X2 anyways. And a chin up bar

An E-Z bar is optional but is replaced by dumbbells.

GCNemesis

It's been a while, but I have some time to check in and to finally hold myself accountable for sticking with it :p

After wrapping up X2 in June, I took about a week off and then jumped back into Insanity for roughly two weeks. My knees started acting up again so I stopped and went to the doctor's. Everything appeared fine but decided to take it easy for a while. With taking it easy and the 4th of July holiday, my diet gradually slipped back into nothingness. Ended up gaining roughly 10 pounds in the following month taking me back up to 205.

Frustrated and uncomfortable and after lurking around in here and reading of everyone's' progress, I got motivated again to get back into the swing of things. So as of July 23rd or so, I have started a P90X/X2/Insanity hybrid. I'm about 3 weeks in and it goes something like this:
  • Day 1 - Chest & Back
  • Day 2 - Plyometrics (or Pure Cardio)
  • Day 3 - Shoulders & Arms
  • Day 4 - Pure Cardio (or Plyometrics)
  • Day 5 - Back & Legs
  • Day 6 or 7 (depending on what's going on during the weekend) - X2 Yoga
  • Day 7 or 6 - X2 Recovery & Mobility

So far it's been going great. I've been tracking my caloric intake again (hitting a net around 1800) and increasing my protein intake. I'm still using Optimum 100% Natural Gold Whey (Vanilla) and I'm still making homemade protein bars (my wife has now started having them for breakfast!).

In a more recent post, I mentioned that I built a standing desk, here's the results:
DI03B.png
isupD.png

I wanted to keep it simple and I can always take it home and add on to it, but thus far it's been working out great. I have a foot mat and a stool for breaks and it couldn't be better. I sure got a lot of puzzled looks and questions, but everyone really dug it.

Getting back to my routine, I knew that if I wanted to do X routines again, I needed to step up to actual pull-up bars and dumbells. While bands helped me get resistance, I never felt like I got enough pump out of them. So I ended up getting a pull-up tower and a 50LB adjustable dumbbell that has been working out great for the the chest, shoulder and arm exercises. I need to get another dumbbell, as I have had to do one arm at a time, making things more balance orientated.

You may have noticed that I haven't included any Ab routines and that's because I have been supplementing with this 8-10 minute routine during lunch. I feel a better burn and more engaged doing these moves that I have in Ab Ripper X or X2. 8 moves, 40 times, short breaks. It's a nice. The bad thing is that I've been hooked to it and have been doing it everyday. I know it's not good to do it everyday as you need to let your muscles recover and build, but I've never felt tighter in my abs so it's hard to stop :p I'm going to skip it today and do Pure Cardio during my lunch hour.

I'm contemplating what to do for my Phase 2 of this hybrid routine, but I think I'm going to do mainly do X2 Phase 2 workouts with X2 Yoga and Pure Cardio in there to supplement it.

I'm down to 200 thus far, but feel like I have put on a little muscle, more so than I've felt before with doing X2 or X with bands and no pull-up bar.

Everyone's progress and commitment has been really inspirational and motivating, so keep it up! :)

A year of workouts 6-7 days per week, spending money on 5 workout programs, related equipment and supplements is a pretty huge commitment and I'm not surprised to see a lot of the group fall by the wayside, but it has virtually disintegrated about half-way through, and that is pretty disappointing.

I think the biggest challenge for any type of exercise routine is not diet or doing the exercises, but maintaining the commitment as you go through it and after you are done. Understandably, things happen that require your time and attention and that commitment may end, but the most encouraging thing is to get back in the swing of things and continue when you can. I know it's disappointing to see others lose that commitment, I, as many others are am sure, are guilty of this, but for every person that stops, another starts. There will always be people trying to push through and having P90X-GAF is huge in terms of support, I know it certainly has helped me!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just restarted p90x using resistance bands. I prefer how convenient they are, but I really don't get any tension when using them (I got the BMP ones listed in OP, and I'm using the red ones which are 25-30 lbs.)

Might just stick to using a regular pull-up bar and my free weights. Unless anyone wants to give some tips and advice for this?

Abs - 10mins
Cardio - 30 mins
Build Back & Bis - 50 mins
Build Legs - 40 mins
Build Shoulders - 40 mins
Build Chest & Tris - 50 mins

The second stage ones involving bulk are much shorter ranging from 30-40 mins.

Warm up is around 5 mins and cooldown is around 3 mins.

You only need dumbbells and either a bench or stability ball, i just use the ball as i have one from P90X2 anyways. And a chin up bar

An E-Z bar is optional but is replaced by dumbbells.

Right on, I thought it required more equipment. Looking forward to hearing your review at the end. I'll admit I laughed at the program when I first saw it but I might give it a try. Is it a 2 month program?

@GC - Nice post. Good to have you back!

Espresso

Banned
Just restarted p90x using resistance bands. I prefer how convenient they are, but I really don't get any tension when using them (I got the BMP ones listed in OP, and I'm using the red ones which are 25-30 lbs.)

Might just stick to using a regular pull-up bar and my free weights. Unless anyone wants to give some tips and advice for this?

I'm using Bodylastics 23lb bands and if you sit back far enough from your door mount (which isn't very far with this particular brand), you should get a good amount of tension. These work far better than my last bands did. Wear protective eyewear though, you don't want to go blind if one of your bands snaps.

Right on, I thought it required more equipment. Looking forward to hearing your review at the end. I'll admit I laughed at the program when I first saw it but I might give it a try. Is it a 2 month program?

@GC - Nice post. Good to have you back!

90 Days

Phase 1 - 3 Weeks
Phase 2 - 6 Weeks
Phase 3 - 3 Weeks

There is a bulk program and a lean program although they hardly differ :S

Just 2 quick question as I cant seem to find anything one way or the other, but its free weights OR resistance bands right? I dont need both correct?

Just picked up a set of the Bow Flex 552 selectech weights off amazon (pretty awesome deal when you get free shipping as well) and I will be starting my first round of P90x on Monday. Also, I've heard from others, but I will be fine if I can only do like 2 pullups to start with right? I'm not in horrible shape, but I'm still a big guy who hasn't lifted weights in a lot of years, and those things are pretty rough lol.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
[KoRp]Jazzman;40766383 said:
Just 2 quick question as I cant seem to find anything one way or the other, but its free weights OR resistance bands right? I dont need both correct?

Just picked up a set of the Bow Flex 552 selectech weights off amazon (pretty awesome deal when you get free shipping as well) and I will be starting my first round of P90x on Monday. Also, I've heard from others, but I will be fine if I can only do like 2 pullups to start with right? I'm not in horrible shape, but I'm still a big guy who hasn't lifted weights in a lot of years, and those things are pretty rough lol.

Either or. Bands are great for toning and some muscle building, dumbbells are great for a bunch of muscle building.

I plan to go bands next time through, I've done a set with both and feel bands did a bit more.

For pull-ups, I couldn't do 1 when I started and ended with like 5. 2 is fine.

What do I need to know about medicine balls/stability balls before I buy one?

Does my height factor into the purchase?

Height matters with stability ball. Beachbody sells a bigger one for people who are taller. It's the grey one. Otherwise it's the blue one.

Medicine ball - the standard that comes with p90x2 is 8lb. More than enough as some exercises require you jump while holding it

Infinity

Yay! Just finished my first Kenpo-X!

The biggest challenge was learning the routines, (many of which I had never done in regular P90), and keeping good form. I struggled with the form in some of the routines, but recovered in most cases. I'm a stickler for form over reps if I'm just learning an exercise routine.

FOOTE

Third time Back and Biceps today. Absolute worst exercise in two months.

All my numbers were way down since last week, ugh.

Maybe I'll add another week of phase 2 next week, I don't feel like I've mastered phase 2 like I did Phase 1.
You'll get another go, don't worry. Stick to the plan, trust the plan.

KingGondo

Banned
Yay! Just finished my first Kenpo-X!

The biggest challenge was learning the routines, (many of which I had never done in regular P90), and keeping good form. I struggled with the form in some of the routines, but recovered in most cases. I'm a stickler for form over reps if I'm just learning an exercise routine.
While form is important in most X workouts, I'd say it's by far the least important in Kenpo.

It's more important that you get your entire body into the motions and get a good burn rather than worrying too much about having perfect form.

Did arms and shoulders today and felt a great burn. Especially in the shoulders when doing swimmers shoulder press etc

Ab Ripper X is getting really boring...

I quite enjoyed it today, probably because I'm getting better at it. Only in to my second week though so I can see how it could get boring after a while, especially because you do it 3+ times a week.

daemissary

Anyone have any suggestions for a very large workout mat that I could put in my garage? Doing plyo on the concrete can be kinda rough but most of the workout mats I've seen wouldn't be large enough to do most of the plyo moves on.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Anyone have any suggestions for a very large workout mat that I could put in my garage? Doing plyo on the concrete can be kinda rough but most of the workout mats I've seen wouldn't be large enough to do most of the plyo moves on.

I have 3/8" thick foam "puzzle" mat tiles in my workout area. They're about 2'x2'. A bunch of different companies make them. I bought enough to make an 8'x8' workout area. One tip -- get one-sided carpet seam tape to stick them together or they may separate with use.

Mine sits on top of carpeting. You might want thicker tiles if it's going to be sitting on concrete.

I weighed myself for the first time and two weeks since starting the program, and I am down 10 pounds in the last three and a half weeks since I started exercising regularly and eating healthily again! So nice. Only about 5 or so pounds left before I reach my goal of 155 lbs (I am 5'9") and before I start my real muscle training!

P90 doesn't do a ton for resistance training, but it has certainly helped me lose a lot of weight!

Infinity

I weighed myself for the first time and two weeks since starting the program, and I am down 10 pounds in the last three and a half weeks since I started exercising regularly and eating healthily again! So nice. Only about 5 or so pounds left before I reach my goal of 155 lbs (I am 5'9") and before I start my real muscle training!

P90 doesn't do a ton for resistance training, but it has certainly helped me lose a lot of weight!

Congratulations, Mana Legend! P90 is fantastic for weight loss and for achieving fitness goals.

LaneDS

Infinite_Daremo, thanks! I know my arms are bigger, but it's one of those things that is hard to notice yourself when you see them everyday. But yeah, words of encouragement will always be appreciated!

GCNemesis, welcome back and great post. Glad to hear you've seemingly found your rhythm again, and here's hoping we can keep motivating you/each other. Similar message to SteveMeister, since P90XGAF is probably pretty similar to your TeamBB.com group I'd think.

My main accomplishment today was not working out on a rest day. Didn't stretch, didn't get in a quick run, and just relaxed and will go to bed early (also kept my eating clean). This might not sound like an accomplishment to some, but for me it took some effort to tell myself to cool it for a day.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm really pissed off.

I've been sick for 9 days.

I got sick when I went on vacation (which is hard enough to work out), which I went on after traveling for work for 4 days (which was extremely hard to work out).

So anyways, I go on this vacation and work out the first 3 days, the last of which I was developing a sickness. Day 2 rolls in and I'm down for the count, can't work out...so I take the next four to recuperate.

Day 6 is the final day of Phase 2 before recovery week so I do the Kenpo and I'm okay. Hard to breathe but whatever. Day 7 is my last day and I'm flying home for a bit, so I should be able to get back on track. It's supposed to be a 'rest day' so I do Cardio X just to do something more than X Stretch.

Bad idea.

I fly home and when I get off the plane I am back to being super sick again. I've stopped all working out until I get better, it totally screwed me over.

Now I'm just waiting this thing out but I feel like I've destroyed my progress. I hope tomorrow I'm good so I can start recovery week 2 and then hit phase 3 hard. But this whole thing has just put such a damper on it.

The one consolation is that I won't be quitting after Day 90...I'll give it a week and hten start over. I just feel like all of my results are gone. It's fucked. Maybe my body just hates me while I'm sick. I dunno.

Is the GAHMAN in the title supposed to be a strange pronunciation of German?

IF THAT AIN'T P90X I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!

tch

Damn, Legs and Back crushed me tonight. Feels kinda bad. Hopefully just an off night :(

Had legs and back tonight too. It was pretty rough going on a lot of the lunge stuff for me. You were just on your off week too right? I'm just chalking it up to that in my case haha

I bought and did this two summers ago, and lost all progress now. I've been meaning to start it all summer but just never got around to it. I've been slacking. Now with school starting, I have to wait until my four month window in January to be able to finally start this.

What advice do you have to start this? It's easy to go once you start it, but getting started is just so difficult. :(

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I bought and did this two summers ago, and lost all progress now. I've been meaning to start it all summer but just never got around to it. I've been slacking. Now with school starting, I have to wait until my four month window in January to be able to finally start this.

What advice do you have to start this? It's easy to go once you start it, but getting started is just so difficult. :(

P90X will change your life if you start and stick to it. You'll be in better shape than ever, you'll feel great, and more important than anything, you'll be extremely healthy (assuming you are consistent with the workouts and eat good foods).

Keep coming back to this thread asking for advice and updating on your progress and you'll get all the support and motivation from the P90X Community.

Promise yourself so you that will check into this thread consistently (most of us do it everyday). We will be here to support ya :D

P90X will change your life if you start and stick to it. You'll be in better shape than ever, you'll feel great, and more important than anything, you'll be extremely healthy (assuming you are consistent with the workouts and eat good foods).

Keep coming back to this thread asking for advice and updating on your progress and you'll get all the support and motivation from the P90X Community.

Promise yourself so you that will check into this thread consistently (most of us do it everyday). We will be here to support ya :D

Thanks guys. You guys sound really motivating! :]

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Start.

Like today. Seriously. In fact go right now NOW.

NYR

Here is your GAF motivation:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39806367&postcount=5631

DOOOOOOOO IT! :)

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.
*bro fists Tenacious-V*

I got 31 days until I have to move into my dorm room. :( But I want to start this tomorrow morning. Is it okay to do "one phase" for these remaining days, and then redo another 90 days when I'm off for a co-op term (Jan-Apr)?

It's a lifestyle change. It's fine. Let the perfectionism go. Do the best you can. Anything helps the learning process

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Day 60 complete. Yoga X. Held Crane for about 35 seconds, the first 15 or so with frequent toe taps, then I "got it". My knees slipped down over time, though, which is why I came out of it.

Results time!

GHcfQ.gif

I would have thought my arm measurements would be larger. My biceps & triceps LOOK bigger, and I am definitely much stronger than when I started. Maybe it's just more definition.

Just checking in for the week. Today is the first day of the last week of P90X+. I checked in at 148.2 pounds and 11.5% BF. Last week I checked in at 149.2 pounds and 11.9% BF. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I did my check in a hour later than I normally do. (I have a scale that does weight and bf%).

Dunlop

For any Canucks looking to get into this, there is a sale on P90X for $55 at

http://www.supplementsource.ca/product_p/p90x.htm

But to make the pot sweeter, I had futureshop price match (the above site is kinda craptastic so they could not determine what the charge for shipping was) and picked it up for $48 + tax

..now to get the rest of the shite I need to actually be able to use the videos
KuGsj.gif

LaneDS

If you could pick your dream team group of "the kids", who would be in it?

For me:

Adam
Pam
Bobby Stephenson
Tony

Is Adam the one from Base & Back who is also an engineer and gives Tony shit? Because I want both him and Bobby in the same video, but with Shauna who is boring but hot. Every exercise video needs at least one hot woman (god bless you Insanity).

Steve, awesome results! You must feel incredible and look quite a bit different from January. What's your height again? You should throw that in your spreadsheet for your next six month update, when you will likely weigh about zero pounds judging by your current rate (I'm awesome at math).

jonny_boi- like BM said, while 30 days of any exercise seems like a win/win, these programs are best when viewed as a lifestyle change and not something you'll do for however many days and stop. But getting into the swing of clean eating and working hard will never do you wrong, especially if you're about to start college where being dedicated is just about the most important part of being successful (good luck with that too!).

My mind has been out of it for a while now and I haven't been doing any of the exercises. So this week I've restarted P90X with the regular program. Today, I'm doing Yoga X.

With the inclusion of Chest and Back and Plyometrics into the routine, I've been working out muscles that weren't completely targeted in my previous attempt. The resulting feeling of soreness is uncomfortable as usual, but I've become masochistic enough to somehow enjoy it regardless.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any of you guys have suggestions for a set of resistance bands that are durable enough that I don't have to be scared that they will snap back and blind me while they are hooked into a door?

I plan to do my hybrid X/X2 routine with bands, and would like to at least feel half-okay when sitting on the ground facing a stretched band in a door...

:p

LaneDS

Any of you guys have suggestions for a set of resistance bands that are durable enough that I don't have to be scared that they will snap back and blind me while they are hooked into a door?

I plan to do my hybrid X/X2 routine with bands, and would like to at least feel half-okay when sitting on the ground facing a stretched band in a door...

:p

The bands scare the shit out of me after some stories from this thread (and a YouTube video I saw a few weeks back of some dude in the hospital with a messed up face from a P90X band-snap)... I'd rock safety goggles just in case.

I've got the ones from the OP (your OP!) sold on Amazon and have not ended up in the hopsital, so I guess that's some sort of awful recommendation for them. Have you checked Craigslist for second hand dumbbells?

Top Bottom