• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Culebra, stick with it! Diet is most important, followed by dedication and intensity (in my opinion); there were, and are, days where I didn't/don't see the progress I want to see (this happened a lot early on, and now I'm almost done with six months of these programs) but eventually you'll look back at your day 1 pictures and it'll become clear how far you've come, or you'll notice how much stronger you are. Just keep working hard, basically, and you'll get there... that goes for all of us.

mehdi_san

Stupid question i know, but the Insanity program, is it worth trying? I'm starting p90x2 phase 3 next week, so I'll be done with the program soon, and Shawn T just sent me an email HIMSELF with $10 off the insanity DVDs, so it's really tempting.

Stupid question i know, but the Insanity program, is it worth trying? I'm starting p90x2 phase 3 next week, so I'll be done with the program soon, and Shawn T just sent me an email HIMSELF with $10 off the insanity DVDs, so it's really tempting.

Are you looking to shed a few? If so, it's definitely worth it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Just got done with it. Well worth it. I didn't lose any weight, but my stamina and cardio is much better now.

mehdi_san

Are you looking to shed a few? If so, it's definitely worth it.
Oh yeah I'd love to lower my body fat a little more. I just don't know how I'll feel not doing any pull ups or curls for 60 days. I think I'd even miss Yoga too. So I guess my question is, did you get bored doing Insanity?

Just got done with it. Well worth it. I didn't lose any weight, but my stamina and cardio is much better now.
So your weight didn't change but did you look different at the end of the program?

Oh yeah I'd love to lower my body fat a little more. I just don't know I'll feel not doing any pull ups or curls for 60 days. I think I'd even miss Yoga too. So I guess my question is, did you get bored doing Insanity?

Insanity is very repetitive. In most workouts you'll be doing the same 2-3 sets over and over for the duration of the video. For me it was a mental hump I had to get over, but I'm glad I did. The good news is that's it's only 2 months. I think if you want to get your body fat % lower then do it. You will need to eat clean in order to achieve this. P90X will always be waiting there for you.

Insanity is very repetitive. In most workouts you'll be doing the same 2-3 sets over and over for the duration of the video. For me it was a mental hump I had to get over, but I'm glad I did. The good news is that's it's only 2 months. I think if you want to get your body fat % lower then do it. You will need to eat clean in order to achieve this. P90X will always be waiting there for you.

How does one lower body fat again? Eat everything non-fat/low fat?

Just realised that I listed the cast of the Core Synergistics video and added Bobby haha. They're so awesome though, Adam is an inspiration.

ehhhh you're right. But those v-up roll-ups are just some form of super sit-ups as far as I'm concerned so I think Shaun T is the bigger hater.

no you are right or the side crunches as well. It is refreshing for me though as a beginner because everyone thinks sit ups = abs, and now we all know better!

edit: just going around on youtube, man Shaun T's alot fan demographics are women

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
*gristle

Haha, but I like crystal.
Ha, you're right, he does say gristle. I just always convinced myself he was saying crystal since in one of my P90 Master Series videos, he refers to fat as being gristle and says he wants to get rid of it. *shrug*

Speaking of that video (Cardio Intervals) I did it today for a change of pace on my recovery week and there is 21 minutes of warm-up/cool-down for 33 minutes of actual exercise. Ridiculous. When I started P90X I thought it was weird that the warm-ups and cool-downs were so comparatively short, but going back to those videos, it's just WAY too much.

LaneDS

I think the Walter White avatar made you think he was saying pure crystal, vat.

Oi, I started x2 yoga then got distracted right after the single/double part... restarting it now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think the Walter White avatar made you think he was saying pure crystal, vat.
That's entirely possible. Subconscious thinking and all that.

Is anyone else dealing with BRUTAL humidity right now? I've never skipped a workout unless I absolutely had to, but for me the biggest motivation killer is weather like this. It is just so gross to work out in. Getting a good sweat going in a nice warm heat is fine, but it's this muggy stuff that really turns me off.

That's entirely possible. Subconscious thinking and all that.

Is anyone else dealing with BRUTAL humidity right now? I've never skipped a workout unless I absolutely had to, but for me the biggest motivation killer is weather like this. It is just so gross.

I did last week when I did a 7 mile hike. I can deal with 100 degree weather just fine. But humidity is an absolute killer and I cannot stand it. I actually planned on extended my hike to 10 miles but I cut it short because of how bad the humidity was.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Have any of you also noticed push-ups are much easier now? Military push-ups are still a thorn in my side as I can't do more then about 20 at a time...

Yeah, push ups were one of the first things to show improvement. It's a nice litmus test to show how you've progressed.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished my best Legs & Back to date. It feels surreal being able to do a similar number of reps as Tony during chin-ups.

Now my legs gotta rest since I also did Plyocide yesterday.

FOOTE

Just finished my best Legs & Back to date. It feels surreal being able to do a similar number of reps as Tony during chin-ups.

Now my legs gotta rest since I also did Plyocide yesterday.

Sweet.

Okay. P90X2, day 1. X2 Core in about 4 minutes. I'm excited.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The P90X iOS app was just updated and it now allows you to export your results to a .csv file via e-mail. I imported it into Google Docs. It's great, I can finally view my progress on each exercise at a glance. Even includes my notes and extra sets. So I can accurately report my progress on chin-ups & pull-ups:

Close-Grip Overhand Pull-Up: 6/15/12: 2 and 1. 8/10/12: 11 and 7
Reverse Grip Chin-Up: 6/15/12: 6 and 7. 8/10/12: 14 and 14
Switch Grip Pull-Up: 6/15/12: 4 and 4. 8/10/12: 14 and 11
Wide Front Pull-Up: 6/15/12: 2 and 1. 8/10/12: 10 and 12

FOOTE

Those med ball burpies at the end are no joke. Three per side for me this first time. I was still going for about 10 seconds after they finished. The day I hit 12 per will be an accomplishment.

Also, what's with all of the hot-shots all of the sudden? Two more already in X2! Dale and Taylor are cool, but they don't compare to Adam in overall hot-shotness. The real-life Barbie is a babe.

LaneDS

Those med ball burpies at the end are no joke. Three per side for me this first time. I was still going for about 10 seconds after they finished. The day I hit 12 per will be an accomplishment.

Also, what's with all of the hot-shots all of the sudden? Two more already in X2! Dale and Taylor are cool, but they don't compare to Adam in overall hot-shotness. The real-life Barbie is a babe.

Haha I am looking forward to your X2 reactions and impressions; the addition of the medicine and stability ball moves make it feel very different from X, and yes there are some characters both good and bad. Tony himself definitely feels more confident and self-assured, which is both good and bad at times.

Breakfast then Base & Back, or Base & Back then breakfast? I can't decide. Lowest weigh-in yet this morning at 185.6... down almost 20 lbs now since five months back.

I'm not messing with weights and what not, but any of you doing or done insanity? It's great!!! Losing my gut in just 13 days, lost all the chub in my face too

FOOTE

I'm not messing with weights and what not, but any of you doing or done insanity? It's great!!! Losing my gut in just 13 days, lost all the chub in my face too

A few guys in here have. I've done a lot of it. I agree that it's great for shedding weight.

Edit - Insanity Thread Didn't know about it myself. :/ I like it in here though.

I think I ripped my pants.

5Agam.jpg

Finished P90X2. Really fun, loved all the improvements. I would definitely do it again but I think I will go back the P90X foundation for the next couple months. Now, for your entertainment, here is me...

Left is November 2011 when I started P90, Right is this morning (no food in stomach)

Left is when I finished P90X, right is when I finished the last P90X2 workout (food in stomach = bloated -_- )

Glory pics of all P90X2-after pics in the morning (no food in stomach) : D

vatstep

Looking good dude! Excellent work. Celebrate with some Chipotle! :)

Aw man, I really struggle with the diet stuff, I don't eat fish or anything so getting good protein is a bit of a bitch.

At the moment my daily diet is basically - 3 eggs / 3 protein shakes (throughout the day) / some form of chicken and salad for lunch and then some form of chicken with veg for dinner - it's pretty boring, but I manage to mix up the chicken enough for variety.
Is this sort of thing enough? Or do I need to eat more? I'm trying to bulk up a bit but don't have the time to eat massive amounts.
How is stuff like oats/rice/noodles for the diet? That kind of stuff I find hard not to eat!
I'm doing a pretty good job of avoiding bread though

LaneDS

You've lost a lot of weight and fat BM, and you're no doubt stronger than when you started. Did your numbers improve a lot? Please post your diet one more time (and your weight/height) because I'm thinking an uptake in protein and intensity (more reps or weight) will help get you cut more (assuming you're looking for that, which I am guessing you are). Either way, it's tremendous progress and I know you've adapted to the lifestyle change as well or better than most so I expect continued successes from you in the future sir!

Grats BeautifulMemory! A lot of changes, that definition is really showing. :)

You've lost a lot of weight and fat BM, and you're no doubt stronger than when you started. Did your numbers improve a lot? Please post your diet one more time (and your weight/height) because I'm thinking an uptake in protein and intensity (more reps or weight) will help get you cut more (assuming you're looking for that, which I am guessing you are). Either way, it's tremendous progress and I know you've adapted to the lifestyle change as well or better than most so I expect continued successes from you in the future sir!

Kind words, sir. Much love!

My numbers did improve - anything specific you wanted to know? I literally just wanted to improve by one rep going into week after week. And of course, sometimes it happened that I busted my ass for 5 moves but then later in the workout my numbers actually went down - so be it, I just wanted to push my limits.

I can tell you the single most meaningful improvement for me is side hip raise - you are going to do that a lot in PAP lower. I couldn't even do it when I was doing P90X

I did starting to try higher weight/low reps too. I think it's worth it even if it means you go easier toward the end of the workouts

I am 5'5, I weigh 136 now in the morning and about 139 with food in me. I had to change my diet in after one month of P90X2 because literally getting shredded, not cut - see the bones?

So I had to accept my body type - that I am an ectomorph, with lean muscles built in and fast metabolism. And as you can see I was dropping weight fast but lacked definition and lacked visible progress in the abs. So I had to change my eating

By change I mean I followed Tony's way of not counting calories and just focused on eating healthy stuff - lean protein, fruits, veggies, etc. I rather eat 3 apples than eat a bag of chips, you know?

And I eat chiptole more often now

Morning - Shakeology (milk + powder + chia seeds)
Mid morning snack - one small bag of almond nuts from Trader Joe's
Lunch - Salad from Trader Joe's (I go through 3 different kinds, they are usually low in fat, have kale/spinach/quinoa/dried fruits/edamame)
Mid afternoon snack - Pro Bar + Apple(s)
Prework out - Quest bar and Greek yogurt
Post-workout - Recovery Drink from Beachbody
Dinner - olive oil + Brown rice + veggies + chicken/fish
Before bed - Protein shakes with milk (I try to aim for two servings, but sometimes one is enough for me, especially with Greek yogurt)

and a load of water/green tea throughout the day

Aw man, I really struggle with the diet stuff, I don't eat fish or anything so getting good protein is a bit of a bitch.

At the moment my daily diet is basically - 3 eggs / 3 protein shakes (throughout the day) / some form of chicken and salad for lunch and then some form of chicken with veg for dinner - it's pretty boring, but I manage to mix up the chicken enough for variety.
Is this sort of thing enough? Or do I need to eat more? I'm trying to bulk up a bit but don't have the time to eat massive amounts.
How is stuff like oats/rice/noodles for the diet? That kind of stuff I find hard not to eat!
I'm doing a pretty good job of avoiding bread though

As to whether or not you need to eat more, it really depends on where you are at physically and your body type. It seems the general wisdom is if you want to bulk, you do want to eat as protein as you are comfortable with. Do you know how much gram you are take in now daily? Also, Greek Yogurt and non-fat milk are both amazing as well

Not sure about oats. I know brown rice is preferred. Noodles are probably fine too but they should be a very minor part of what you eat daily. You want to focus on getting good carbs from legumes (sweet potato, edamame, lentils, quinoa, peanuts, etc.) because they have high dietary fibers as well

LaneDS

Have you ever seen, in grams, what kind of protein you're taking in compared to body weight? I suspect, like you're saying, that your bodytype and metabolism chews through food quickly and to get more mass (again, I'm assuming you want to get a little bigger) you're going to have to eat more, perhaps an uncomfortable amount (as a former fat guy, this is something I'll never understand but know for thinner people it's legit). I'd try for 1.5-2x your body weight in grams of protein for your next P90X round and see if that gets you better yields.

Related note, I am hungry and craving something sweet but think I'm going to settle on diet soda instead. Compromise!

Thanks for the suggestion, Lane. I stopped counting awhile back but I would like to say I was maximizing my protein intake at every meal. It does take dedication though - I can't even fit two protein shakes into my schedule, I get real bloated.

And in contrast, when I look at your pics, I see that weight loss might be harder-but man, you are one muscular guy

Devil's Advocate Time - HEY! don't drink that diet soda, if you must, drink a protein shake or something with honey. All sweet substitute!

FOOTE

Great job BM! Add this man to the P90X2 list!

As for me. Day 2 of P90X2. Plyocide (10 minutes from now). The name has me scared. I'm ready to POWER TRHU! I mean, BEAST UP. I mean, I'm ready to BRING IT!

oatmeal

Banned
Still haven't started Recovery Week Phase 2.

Still sick.

I'm hoping tomorrow I'm well enough to do it. Over 2 weeks I've been sick now.

It's killing me. I've dropped like 2 pounds though. So that's dope.

Top Bottom