• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Hawkian, your name is Hawkian, not Aaron; don't get confused!

Also, I am jelly of your workout crew even without pictures.

KingGondo

Banned
So after being a bit unsatisfied with my weight loss so far (from 220 down to 208 or so), I'm gonna start my doubles routine tomorrow.

On days 1, 3 and 5 I'll be running in my neighborhood before I leave for work, aiming for a 5K or so distance.

Between that, Plyo, and my modified Plyo/Cardio X routine, I should really start seeing results. Getting down to 200 would be a huge accomplishment for me. :)

So after being a bit unsatisfied with my weight loss so far (from 220 down to 208 or so), I'm gonna start my doubles routine tomorrow.

On days 1, 3 and 5 I'll be running in my neighborhood before I leave for work, aiming for a 5K or so distance.

Between that, Plyo, and my modified Plyo/Cardio X routine, I should really start seeing results. Getting down to 200 would be a huge accomplishment for me. :)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get to that number with that routine. Do you follow any diet plan? Sorry if you have mentioned it before.

KingGondo

Banned
Good luck, I'm sure you'll get to that number with that routine. Do you follow any diet plan? Sorry if you have mentioned it before.
Not really, but I basically try to watch what I eat and limit my beer intake.

My aim is to cut out bad carbs, limit my fat intake as much as possible, and limit my beer consumption to two days/week (and to only 1-2 beers when I do drink).

A typical work-week day for me is:

Breakfast: Kashi GoLean cereal with banana and skim milk/coffee with skim milk
Lunch: Turkey sandwich on wheat with low-cal "popchips"
Afternoon snack: Clif Builder Bar
Workout
Dinner: Beans & Rice, pesto with wheat pasta/chicken breast, salmon filets, etc.

Honestly, I doubt if I'll feel like having much beer after I start my doubles program. It's gonna take a lot of commitment and discipline to stick with it.

burnfout

So I was looking into buying Shakeology for my third phase of P90x to make my diet more X like.

I can't even buy the damned thing here :( Only US and Canada WTF.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ah, I'm not sure what workout to do today. The downside of not being on a "plan" is that I now have to decide what workout to do!

I plan on Plyocide tomorrow, so maybe kenpo today. Or an Insanity video. I don't know. :p

LaneDS

Not really, but I basically try to watch what I eat and limit my beer intake.

My aim is to cut out bad carbs, limit my fat intake as much as possible, and limit my beer consumption to two days/week (and to only 1-2 beers when I do drink).

A typical work-week day for me is:

Breakfast: Kashi GoLean cereal with banana and skim milk/coffee with skim milk
Lunch: Turkey sandwich on wheat with low-cal "popchips"
Afternoon snack: Clif Builder Bar
Workout
Dinner: Beans & Rice, pesto with wheat pasta/chicken breast, salmon filets, etc.

Honestly, I doubt if I'll feel like having much beer after I start my doubles program. It's gonna take a lot of commitment and discipline to stick with it.

Seems pretty carby to me even if you're getting good carbs versus bad. The cereal and banana is likely a lot of sugar right off the bat, and although I love(d) those Builder Bars they're also pretty high in carbs/sugar. I'd recommend looking into the FlatOut flat bread wraps... they're very low in net carbs and calories and surprisingly tasty, which definitely lets me get some sort of bread fix (I'll usually eat one or two a day). I'd ditch or limit the rice and pasta (even if it's brown or wheat varities) when you can and opt for more green veggies to match your protein sources. Should help you shave those pounds and get you down to 200 pretty damn fast especially with the 2x schedule you're looking to do (I need to start doing something in the morning before work too, I think).

Unrelated, mostly, but I had a big lunch (Chipotle salad, fajita+black beans, chicken, green salsa, corn, guac), a Lean1 shake for breakfast (2 scoops) and just ate a Quest bar and I am still somehow starving. Ugh.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
According to MyFitnessPal, it's roughly 210g carbs per day.
This is indeed way too many if you're looking for a primary weight loss/fat shredding routine. Aim for under 100 at least.

edit: Hey Lane, what flavor of Lean1 you drinking these days? Amazon is about to ship me my next tub and I think it's time for me to mix it up. :p

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Ah, I'm not sure what workout to do today. The downside of not being on a "plan" is that I now have to decide what workout to do!

I plan on Plyocide tomorrow, so maybe kenpo today. Or an Insanity video. I don't know. :p

I vote for Balance and Power. That workout was a blast.

I'm gonna do it this week during my modified recovery week.

KingGondo

Banned
Seems pretty carby to me even if you're getting good carbs versus bad. The cereal and banana is likely a lot of sugar right off the bat, and although I love(d) those Builder Bars they're also pretty high in carbs/sugar. I'd recommend looking into the FlatOut flat bread wraps... they're very low in net carbs and calories and surprisingly tasty, which definitely lets me get some sort of bread fix (I'll usually eat one or two a day). I'd ditch or limit the rice and pasta (even if it's brown or wheat varities) when you can and opt for more green veggies to match your protein sources. Should help you shave those pounds and get you down to 200 pretty damn fast especially with the 2x schedule you're looking to do (I need to start doing something in the morning before work too, I think).
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'll definitely slash my carb intake.

Hawkian said:
This is indeed way too many if you're looking for a primary weight loss/fat shredding routine. Aim for under 100 at least.
Yeah, I just calculated that I'm taking in roughly 125 grams of carbs just between breakfast and lunch. Yikes. Add in dinner and my Builder Bar and it's extremely high indeed.

dab0ne

Just finished week 11 plyo. Only one more of those things to go. They never get easier I just get better at them which means I can bring it more!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'll definitely slash my carb intake.

Yeah, I just calculated that I'm taking in roughly 125 grams of carbs just between breakfast and lunch. Yikes. Add in dinner and my Builder Bar and it's extremely high indeed.

If you go down to around 75 carbs a day you'll get under 200lbs pretty fast I'd say, given you're doing doubles as well.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
If you go down to around 75 carbs a day you'll get under 200lbs pretty fast I'd say, given you're doing doubles as well.

Yep, worked for me. When I was in fat-burning mode earlier in the year I tried to keep my average around 75g per day. Now in maintenance mode I try to keep it below 150g per day.

Suairyu

Banned
Has anyone used the pull-up assist band things I see in the P90X-2 ad? How are they? I like to bang out assisted pull-ups once I've maxed out my unassisted, but leaning at a weird angle to use a chair just ruins the form.

Has anyone used the pull-up assist band things I see in the P90X-2 ad? How are they? I like to bang out assisted pull-ups once I've maxed out my unassisted, but leaning at a weird angle to use a chair just ruins the form.

I haven't used the official Beachbody pull up assist but I use a regular band and it works the same way. I usually get 2-3 more pull ups with it after I've done my unassisted ones. It's a great tool.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I use the Lifeline Pull-up Revolution (equal to the product mentioned in the OP) and... well, it straight-up made me able to do pull-ups. I sort of want to abandon it now that I have legit upper arm strength, and try relying on and bringing up my unassisted numbers.

I use the Lifeline Pull-up Revolution (equal to the product mentioned in the OP) and... well, it straight-up made me able to do pull-ups. I sort of want to abandon it now that I have legit upper arm strength, and try relying on and bringing up my unassisted numbers.

Since you've been at it for awhile I'd suggest you start off unassisted and when you can't go anymore put on the assist and knock out more.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Since you've been at it for awhile I'd suggest you start off unassisted and when you can't go anymore put on the assist and knock out more.

That's what I do. Max unassisted + Negatives (jump up; slow down) + Assisted. I have the "Chin-Up Max" assistance device, has 3 red resistance bands, a stirrup at one end, and an adjustable strap with a hook at the other end.

That'll be a big change, but I can do it.

I've gained a ton of strength and muscle mass, but I'm still a bit "loose in the cage." :)

Haha, you can do it man.

That's what I do. Max unassisted + Negatives (jump up; slow down) + Assisted. I have the "Chin-Up Max" assistance device, has 3 red resistance bands, a stirrup at one end, and an adjustable strap with a hook at the other end.

Negatives were so key to my progression when I first started doing pull ups.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It just seems so unwieldy to hook and re-hook during each set.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm, it seems like it would really get in the way of my legs and sort of swing around. I hadn't thought of that though, it's worth a shot :O

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I use a chin-up tower sort of like this, and leave the assist connected. I just throw it over the back of the backrest when I'm not using it.
OwHxV.jpg

Starting my first ever round of P90X tonight and I'm already scared about how sore I'm going to be this week. Haven't lifted weights in a long time though I am in better shape then I have been, so this should be enjoyable.

Wish me Luck!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
[KoRp]Jazzman;40979106 said:
Starting my first ever round of P90X tonight and I'm already scared about how sore I'm going to be this week. Haven't lifted weights in a long time though I am in better shape then I have been, so this should be enjoyable.

Wish me Luck!

It's a good-feeling sore. Just means you're actually doing something. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Wish me Luck!
Welcome! Seriously, stick around this thread. ;)

Chest and Back, eh?

Wish me Luck!

you need to savor that feeling as long as you can. I haven't felt sore since the first few weeks and I miss it.

Wish me Luck!

Welcome! Wall squats and this thread are crucial for your fitness. ;)

GCNemesis

Checking in from vacation.

Whole week at the beach and amazing seafood make it very difficult to remain active and keeping up with my diet :(. This vacation happens to fall in line with my Recovery week, which makes it even easier to slide back into old habits. But I've made a commitment and decided to bring my push up bars and foam roller and I've already knocked out Yoga X2 and Pure Cardio for the two days I've been here. Having eggs/egg whites/bacon for breakfast and a light lunch have thus far helped balance out a more heavy dinner. I'll try to continue to make wise decisions and keep active! While vacation is certainly welcome, I can't wait to get back home and hit Hybrid Phase 2!

Ixian

Phew, finally caught up on this thread again after a bit of a hiatus. :)

I am finally, finally for really reals going to be starting my "big three" routine (deadlifts, squats, bench pressing) tomorrow. My weight bench was sitting around in pieces up until yesterday, when a coworker of mine had time to come over and help put it together (read: he did most of the work since I suck at building things). Then I found out that the weight bar I bought was too short, so last night I went to Sports Authority and bought a nice bar and 150 pound weight set, which seems good for a beginner.

Keeping my weight lifting schedule to Tu/Th/Sa since that's what I'm used to from P90X. After a few months, I plan on bringing yoga back into my routine because of the flexibility improvements it offers.

I am scared to weigh myself tomorrow, though. I know I've put on a few pounds due to being overly lax with my diet the past two weekends and I'm scared to see how many it is, even if I am getting back into the swing of things.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Today is my recovery week, but I'm thinking about turning in into a P90X2 Phase 1 week. I haven't done the workout from that phase in 4 months.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If you didn't want to puke you are not pushing yourself hard enough. lol
----------

BTW, I'm seriously considering doing Tony & The Kids instead of Plyocide:

tonykid_lg.png

LaneDS

Gondo, you're welcome. I think the sub 100g carb suggestion someone else made is a good goal to shoot for... you will still get a fair amount of carbs and your body will likely react well to such a big cut to your carb instake.

Hawkian- I've almost gone through a container of vanilla and also chocolate recently and think both are good (vanilla is kinda gross in water but good in the lactose-free milk or almond milk). Ordered strawberry and another chocolate this morning... I haven't tried strawberry yet but will report in on it once it arrives. On a similar note, I've been using that LifeExtension weight management mix and the green tea extract for a few weeks and haven't really noticed much of a change but will keep using the two months worth I have and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

Time for a very late X2 V Sculpt and ARX2 routine. Intending to destroy my previous numbers from three weeks ago despite being tired/hungry.

Wish me Luck!

Good luck and welcome! Hope this thread helps you get a bit more out of the experience.

I use a chin-up tower sort of like this, and leave the assist connected. I just throw it over the back of the backrest when I'm not using it.

Might have to get one of those depending on where I move in September. Do you ever use the grips for leg lifts or whatever they're called? Are dips an option too?

FOOTE

Wish me Luck!
Welcome!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Might have to get one of those depending on where I move in September. Do you ever use the grips for leg lifts or whatever they're called? Are dips an option too?

I have - I can do dips and leg lifts. I've done dips on it during P90X, they're a lot harder than chair dips!

I'm thinking of selling the tower next year though, and getting an Ironmaster Super Bench with a chin-up attachment since I'll need a bench for Body Beast, plus the tower takes up a lot of room and is hard to move. There's a dip attachment for the Super Bench, too.

I have - I can do dips and leg lifts. I've done dips on it during P90X, they're a lot harder than chair dips!

I'm thinking of selling the tower next year though, and getting an Ironmaster Super Bench with a chin-up attachment since I'll need a bench for Body Beast, plus the tower takes up a lot of room and is hard to move. There's a dip attachment for the Super Bench, too.

Wow, that's a pretty cool bench. I can't do decline on mine and it bugs me. Might be time for an upgrade...

iPWBz.jpg

3OXSy.jpg

Ok wtf....

Chest and Back was an awesome workout, made sure I paced myself and used lighter weights knowing it was my first time. Got through everything but had to push through to hit my numbers... felt wiped after but it felt good..

Then I realized I need to do Ab Ripper after.... WTF how is this stuff possible? Like I barely did 5 reps of each and that was killing me. So the question is, since I have zero abs and core in my body, should I switch it out with something easier that allows me to do more reps, or do i keep failing away?

God that was hard to sit through as I failed all over myself lol

FOOTE

[KoRp]Jazzman;40989900 said:
Ok wtf....

Chest and Back was an awesome workout, made sure I paced myself and used lighter weights knowing it was my first time. Got through everything but had to push through to hit my numbers... felt wiped after but it felt good..

Then I realized I need to do Ab Ripper after.... WTF how is this stuff possible? Like I barely did 5 reps of each and that was killing me. So the question is, since I have zero abs and core in my body, should I switch it out with something easier that allows me to do more reps, or do i keep failing away?

God that was hard to sit through as I failed all over myself lol
Just do your best. Sounds like you worked hard today and if you continue to do that, you will become stronger. Before you know it you'll be able to match them in ARX. You have to work extremely hard to get there though. Just remember that you're in this for the long haul.

Espresso

Banned
Good job, congratulations on completing your first P90X workout! You're on your way to a new you.

re:Ab Ribber X
Keep at it, man. ARX is a core part of the program. It's important. Do your best and forget the rest. If you can't keep up, that's OK! It's your first day. Of course you're going to be exhausted. You'll get better at it with time and before you know it you'll be keeping up with the guys onscreen.

drspeedy

[KoRp said:
Jazzman]abs ache

I felt like I was dying the first 2-3 times I did ARX, man. It takes a while. After I got better at the cardio/plyo stuff I found both ARX and core synergistics felt a lot easier.

If it makes you feel any better, today was max cardio and insane abs for me (day 46 already?). I feel on fire - in a good way!

I had to half-ass my resistance today because I had no time due to watching my nephew.

So I am going to do a hike tomorrow on top of a bit of resistance. It will be glorious, especially since my rest day is on Wednesday. <3

Top Bottom