• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Down another 2.5 lbs from last week, and today is my rest day! Yes! So nice.

Keep it up!

Trounce, amazing results and for only 4 months of the program (hybrid or not) that's extra impressive. How old are you? I think I'm jealous of your metabolism.

185.2 on the scale this morning, my lowest yet. 1.2 lbs off from 20 lbs lost. Under 180 is really what I'm aiming for (I'm shaving my beard which I've had for probably four-five years once I go sub 180 as a test).

KingGondo

Banned
Re-posted for the new page (for us 50-post per page peons):

Can anyone suggest a good recovery drink and breakfast plan? I drink chocolate milk for recovery and GoLean with banana for breakfast, and I'm really trying to cut down on my carbs. A drink with some creatine might be nice.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why does it seem like I lose more weight on weeks I only workout 2-3 times, and eat worse. Yet when I do 6 days of Insanity and eat very well I stay steady?

I wonder if I'm not getting enough calories, that can slow weight loss right? I was up to 206 after getting back from Texas, that week I did 3 workouts, ate alright, but ate bad on the weekend and Monday I weighed in at 201.5.

Suairyu

Banned

Can anyone suggest a good recovery drink and breakfast plan? I drink chocolate milk for recovery and GoLean with banana for breakfast, and I'm really trying to cut down on my carbs. A drink with some creatine might be nice.
Have your main meal of the day for breakfast, carbs and all. Will keep you full for ages.

Then just don't have carbs (minus recovery drink) after lunch.

Carbs at the beginning of the day make sense - you'll be using them.

TrounceX

Trounce, amazing results and for only 4 months of the program (hybrid or not) that's extra impressive. How old are you? I think I'm jealous of your metabolism.

Thanks.

I'm 22 and I might have good metabolism idk lol. Like I said I gained weight during the program which I guess is strange.

Whey protein. Drink it in the morning and post workout. I suggest Optimum Nutrition 100% whey because the stuff is delicious. I usually have a scoop of that and a piece of whole wheat toast in the morning. Buy a bottle of creatine monohydrate and mix it in if you want, but probably not in the morning as it may upset your stomach.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Have your main meal of the day for breakfast, carbs and all. Will keep you full for ages.

Then just don't have carbs (minus recovery drink) after lunch.

Carbs at the beginning of the day make sense - you'll be using them.
Aaah this is sooooo radically different than Leangains, it makes my brain spasm

Whey protein. Drink it in the morning and post workout. I suggest Optimum Nutrition 100% whey because the stuff is delicious. I usually have a scoop of that and a piece of whole wheat toast in the morning. Buy a bottle of creatine monohydrate and mix it in if you want, but probably not in the morning as it may upset your stomach.

What flavors of ON do you like? I'm almost done with Delicious Stawberry (wasn't close to delicious imo) and need to order a new tub soon. I've had the french vanilla, vanilla ice cream, chocolate and chocolate mint. All of those were really good but I'm always up for trying a new flavor.

LaneDS

HP's post reminded me, but I tried the Lean1 strawberry flavor this morning (in milk) and thought it was very tasty, like all the Lean1 varities I've tried so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
HP's post reminded me, but I tried the Lean1 strawberry flavor this morning (in milk) and thought it was very tasty, like all the Lean1 varities I've tried so far.
Ah good to know. I think my next try will be Cookies and Cream, it sounds like it's up my alley.

edit: On another note, holy fuck Green Apple Assault is monstrous. Doesn't dethrone Blue "Raspberry" but man it is rough going down.

TrounceX

What flavors of ON do you like? I'm almost done with Delicious Stawberry (wasn't close to delicious imo) and need to order a new tub soon. I've had the french vanilla, vanilla ice cream, chocolate and chocolate mint. All of those were really good but I'm always up for trying a new flavor.

Looks like you've tried more than me. I've only had Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream since I buy 10lb bags and those are the only options. I think the Chocolate is super good, especially with a splash of milk.

If you want something truly delicious you should try out BSN Syntha-6. One of the best things I've tasted in my life, but I don't recommend over ON because it's less healthy in general since you're adding some carbs and sugar.

Fox Mulder

I'm thinking of starting this soon, but what can i do about pull ups? I just don't have anyway to do them at home. The bars and bands that wrap around doors won't work in my house.

Suairyu

Banned
Aaah this is sooooo radically different than Leangains, it makes my brain spasm
well if you're trying to gain rather than cut, yeah, it wouldn't be a smart plan. I dunno. Depends what his goals are.

Big breakfast is good advice though. Raises motabilism, keeps you full and makes you the peppiest person in the office.

Follow with a delicious chicken salad for lunch and you can be a super worker number one.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm considering just continuing to eat Kashi GoLean for breakfast, but replacing the banana with blueberries.

After that, I'll try replacing my bread at lunch with a wrap (those Flatout wraps are indeed tasty, thanks Hawkian!), a Quest Bar in the afternoon (replacing my Clif Builder Bar), and replacing my afternoon chocolate milk with some ON Whey Protein.

This should leave me a bit of wiggle room as long as I can restrain myself from loading up on carbs at dinner.

One last question--for those using creatine, do you simply add it to your recovery drink mix?

I'm thinking of starting this soon, but what can i do about pull ups? I just don't have anyway to do them at home. The bars and bands that wrap around doors won't work in my house.

You could get a pull up stand. They can be pricey tho.

I'm considering just continuing to eat Kashi GoLean for breakfast, but replacing the banana with blueberries.

After that, I'll try replacing my bread at lunch with a wrap (those Flatout wraps are indeed tasty, thanks Hawkian!), a Quest Bar in the afternoon (replacing my Clif Builder Bar), and replacing my afternoon chocolate milk with some ON Whey Protein.

This should leave me a bit of wiggle room as long as I can restrain myself from loading up on carbs at dinner.

One last question--for those using creatine, do you simply add it to your recovery drink mix?

Yes, one rounded tablespoon with my ON shake immediately after my workout. I use ON brand for my creatine as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can get a free-standing pull-up tower, though that's another layer of cost obviously.

edit: wizards are fast

Mmm while I do love them and I know I'd namedropped them in this thread before, I'm pretty sure that was Lane recommending you the wraps this time :)

Re: creatine- I have it prior to my workouts (via MP Assault)

LaneDS

Ah good to know. I think my next try will be Cookies and Cream, it sounds like it's up my alley.

edit: On another note, holy fuck Green Apple Assault is monstrous. Doesn't dethrone Blue "Raspberry" but man it is rough going down.

Haha yes, all of the flavors taste like different kinds of nightmares, with raspberry lemonade being the least awful (barely). Agreed that blue is king of terrible.

Looks like you've tried more than me. I've only had Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream since I buy 10lb bags and those are the only options. I think the Chocolate is super good, especially with a splash of milk.

If you want something truly delicious you should try out BSN Syntha-6. One of the best things I've tasted in my life, but I don't recommend over ON because it's less healthy in general since you're adding some carbs and sugar.

I agree that the BSN Syntha-6 stuff is very tasty as far as protein powder is concerned, but I think ON is better nutritional value wise (but not wallet value wise these days).

KingGondo

Banned
Mmm while I do love them and I know I'd namedropped them in this thread before, I'm pretty sure that was Lane recommending you the wraps this time :)

Re: creatine- I have it prior to my workouts (via MP Assault)
Well in that case, thanks to LaneDS as well!

Harry Potter said:
Yes, one rounded tablespoon with my ON shake immediately after my workout. I use ON brand for my creatine as well.
Great, I'm gonna go ahead and order some.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Not a bad idea. Bananas are good, but I try not to eat them every day. If you're gonna have cereal, the plain Go Lean is your best bet, but it still has an insane amount of carbs. I just had to stop eating it entirely.

KingGondo

Banned
Not a bad idea. Bananas are good, but I try not to eat them every day. If you're gonna have cereal, the plain Go Lean is your best bet, but it still has an insane amount of carbs. I just had to stop eating it entirely.
Any other cereal recommendations?

I eat regular GoLean now.

LaneDS

Well in that case, thanks to LaneDS as well!

Great, I'm gonna go ahead and order some.

We're all one big P90X family in here, but yer welcome haha.

Today's my X2 mid-week rest day, but I didn't do ab ripper on Monday (tried and immediately quit since my stomach felt gross and I really brought it for V Sculpt... 35 lbs per hand for those hammer curls that come really early made my arm look like it was going to explode) and I also did well with Plyocide yesterday but ended up running out of steam on the last two moves. So with that said, I'm going to try an Insanity routine tonight (as always, suggestions are welcome).

OchreHand

Trounce, Ahh-mazing results. You gained in muscle and decreased body fat. Winning.

Can I ask what your height and weight is?

Also, I take half a cup of MP Assault, too. At first I didn't like it because it made my heart race and my skin crawl. It took me a few weeks to get used to the feeling.

GAF I have a slight dilemma. I'm going to London on Friday - Monday so can't do back + legs and kenpo. The week starting monday is my 'recovery week' so am I okay to do them in that week? That week seems like its mainly focused on cardio/yoga.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How is Insanity Asylum 1? How does it differ from Insanity?

Still 2 months? Need equipment? Worth doing?

Asylum is only 30 days. I have that next once I finish up P90X. Reminds me, I need to start practicing with the jump rope...

Equipment is a jump rope and agility ladder. Elastic leg bands are optional. Looking at the schedule it looks like it has more that's along the lines of the Max Sports Training video that comes with Insanity.

tch

I started with 30's today. Got in 5, then 5 at 25, 6 at 22.5 and 8 at 20. I'll stay there until I can do 8 each clean.

Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at. 30's might be a bit too heavy for me yet, I might need to step it down. The set is pretty rough!

Ever thought about eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast? Very little carbs there. Here is the break down for 3 eggs and 2 slices of turkey bacon:

294 calories, 2-3g carbs (depending on how you make the eggs), 19g fat, 22g protein.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Not really, unfortunately. Go Lean will remain your best bet, but if you're trying to go low-ish carb, cereal is just not a very good option. I mean, a cup has 30 grams of carbs alone, and is that really gonna satisfy you? You could try out obijkenobi's suggestion above, or even greek yogurt (with or without the aforementioned blueberries).

Just suggestions, though, and you might not want to listen to me anyway, as I don't do anything even close to low carb, ha. Builder's Bars for life.

Espresso

Banned
So I bought Body Beast, just to have to use after P90X. Man, that trainer is huge. He looks a little ridiculous, but it'll be more interesting to give it a shot instead of repeating P90X right away.

I still have to finish P90X. Haha. I'm on phase 2. I was interested in seeing what Body Beast was all about so I impulse bought it. The dudes in the vids all look like linebackers. Plus I need to buy a bench, those can't be cheap.

You can also use a stability ball instead of a bench.

Espresso

Banned
I saw that, but stability balls in conjunction with handling so much weight makes me uneasy. They could be perfectly safe for all I know, but I'd feel safer using a bench. If the ball were to roll on me is what worries me.

TrounceX

Trounce, Ahh-mazing results. You gained in muscle and decreased body fat. Winning.

Can I ask what your height and weight is?

Also, I take half a cup of MP Assault, too. At first I didn't like it because it made my heart race and my skin crawl. It took me a few weeks to get used to the feeling.

Thanks man, I'm feeling pretty good now after all the compliments. I guess you guys can tell the difference, but nobody I know irl can. I still get surprised reactions when people learn that I work out lol.

And I'm 6ft 180lbs right now.

So, I'm starting to get a little worried about my knees. They're feeling a little sore...nothing horrid yet, but enough to concern me.

As is, I work out on carpet barefoot, sometimes with the Yoga Mat for routines that use it.

I don't really want to dial back any of the routines to be less impact, any suggestions?

Got a new PB in Plyocide tonight! Did 25 Wide Leg Jump Press with medicine ball. Take that Tracy.

So, I'm starting to get a little worried about my knees. They're feeling a little sore...nothing horrid yet, but enough to concern me.

As is, I work out on carpet barefoot, sometimes with the Yoga Mat for routines that use it.

I don't really want to dial back any of the routines to be less impact, any suggestions?

Are they just sore or is there any grinding/popping? My best advice would be RICE method (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Tread very lightly man. Knee pain is nothing to mess around with, you could really injure yourself and be out for awhile. If it worsens go see a doctor.

TrounceX

Trounce, you got great results, man! Is that after a single 90-day round?

Well, it's hard to say exactly because I got sick after the first month and had to take a 2 week break, then I started over again. I just say 4 months.

It was also a p90x/insanity split, and I heavily modified p90x for lower reps/higher weight. I used a lot of weighted clothing and stuff.

I still have to finish P90X. Haha. I'm on phase 2. I was interested in seeing what Body Beast was all about so I impulse bought it. The dudes in the vids all look like linebackers. Plus I need to buy a bench, those can't be cheap.

i meant a before and after of body beast lol. yeah post a before and after for p90x too :)

Got a new PB in Plyocide tonight! Did 25 Wide Leg Jump Press with medicine ball. Take that Tracy.

Are they just sore or is there any grinding/popping? My best advice would be RICE method (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Tread very lightly man. Knee pain is nothing to mess around with, you could really injure yourself and be out for awhile. If it worsens go see a doctor.

Sore, mostly. The left one does a small pop, but it's always done that under duress. (I used to jog and it would happen)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Monday I did X2 Core and today I just finished Core Synergistics as part of my modified recovery week. These 2 workouts are freaking excellent.

Stampy

Hey guys. I was following this thread for some time, but didn't really commit to any of the programs. I am 6' 1" and 154 lbs. My arms are not that strong, but my biggest problem is that I am really tight. So I was wondering would it be a good idea to starts P90X, taking into account that sometimes doing a push can be a problem for me due to lack of flexibility in wrists. Also my hip flexibility is atrocious and when I generally start to do some more intense exercises I usually end up with some light injury (for example, last year I recovered from a tendonitis in my left arm just by intensively riding a bike uphill). This has prevented me from truly committing to a program. So considering the situation, would you guys have any advices on what program should I start / what modifications should I make/ or pre-program exercises that I should do. My biggest goal from these exercises would be to gain strength overall (I don’t care about looks), to become more flexible and to have a less injury prone body. My only concern is not to get injured on that process once again.

Top Bottom