• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

[KoRp]Jazzman;40989900 said:
Ok wtf....

Chest and Back was an awesome workout, made sure I paced myself and used lighter weights knowing it was my first time. Got through everything but had to push through to hit my numbers... felt wiped after but it felt good..

Then I realized I need to do Ab Ripper after.... WTF how is this stuff possible? Like I barely did 5 reps of each and that was killing me. So the question is, since I have zero abs and core in my body, should I switch it out with something easier that allows me to do more reps, or do i keep failing away?

God that was hard to sit through as I failed all over myself lol

Nearly done with two full rotations (once of X, once of X2) and still can't do the full ab routines... I'm not sure if they're just that hard or if I put that much into the resistance workouts beforehand. Tonight I did 10 reps of the first move and bailed because I brought it so hard in V Sculpt (really pleased with my numbers but wanted to puke through more than half of it... which is also why I so quickly bailed on ARX2)... like others have said, just do what you can, some days will be better than others but it'll be hard for a long, long time I suspect.

Steve- that is an awesome bench you're looking at. If you end up selling your chin up tower next year, please holler and I might be in the market for one (what's up Northern VA P90X GAF?).

Time for recovery shake.

mehdi_san

Checking in from the inn where we're sleeping for a couple of hours before we leave for the summit. We're at something like 2700m altitude, it's getting kinda hard to breath. I still can't believe that I get 3G network from up here though haha

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Checking in from the inn where we're sleeping for a couple of hours before we leave for the summit. We're at something like 2700m altitude, it's getting kinda hard to breath. I still can't believe that I get 3G network from up here though haha
awesome

deadlast

I did the first 35 minutes of PlyoX last night with my 4yr old son (he didn't do all of the exercises right but he tried). I didn't feel tired at all, but my quads felt like they were going to quit on me. This morning I was still able to do my run and lift.
Now I'm looking forward to get p90 x2 and starting that.

[KoRp]Jazzman;40989900 said:
Ok wtf....

Chest and Back was an awesome workout, made sure I paced myself and used lighter weights knowing it was my first time. Got through everything but had to push through to hit my numbers... felt wiped after but it felt good..

Then I realized I need to do Ab Ripper after.... WTF how is this stuff possible? Like I barely did 5 reps of each and that was killing me. So the question is, since I have zero abs and core in my body, should I switch it out with something easier that allows me to do more reps, or do i keep failing away?

God that was hard to sit through as I failed all over myself lol

What I normally do is first start on the warm-up then switch over and do ABX first. It makes things easier on the long run.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

I hope you post some pics tomorrow!

LaneDS

Did X2 Yoga...Day 50 complete!

Tweaked right elbow a bit...hoping it's okay for CoreSyn tomorrow.

Glad you're feeling better and back in the swing of things sir.

mehdi_san, good luck! You're probably already en route, but good luck all the same.

Total Body is a great workout, but it's damn hard. I love ARX2. 86 days to go.

Yeah, it is an incredible workout. Took me about two hours to do the first time because of all the pausing and rewinding I did.

I did the first 35 minutes of PlyoX last night with my 4yr old son (he didn't do all of the exercises right but he tried). I didn't feel tired at all, but my quads felt like they were going to quit on me. This morning I was still able to do my run and lift.

Nice, setting a good example for your son.

This made me smile. Not too long ago I was visiting my daughter and we did around 15 minutes of Yoga X stuff together for fun. She's 3 and had a blast. A good thing to get them interested early, I want her healthy.

What I normally do is first start on the warm-up then switch over and do ABX first. It makes things easier on the long run.

Thanks for all the posts guys, and I was actually thinking of doing this next time as well and seeing how that goes.

Oh well, 89 more days to go and maybe I'll have a single Ab by the end of it lol

The biggest problem that I have with Ab Ripper X is that you typically do it immediately after the main workout, so at that point you're pretty much tuckered out. You're essentially switching to a completely different set of gears and it's mentally daunting to do another whole set of exercises at that point.

Doing it first means that you can do the exercises while in a good shape so that you can push yourself harder. Then when you get to the regular exercise, you might be more exhausted towards the end but as it's the last stretch it's also easier to handle.

The biggest problem that I have with Ab Ripper X is that you typically do it immediately after the main workout, so at that point you're pretty much tuckered out. You're essentially switching to a completely different set of gears and it's mentally daunting to do another whole set of exercises at that point.

Doing it first means that you can do the exercises while in a good shape so that you can push yourself harder. Then when you get to the regular exercise, you might be more exhausted towards the end but as it's the last stretch it's also easier to handle.

Agreed. I've been doing it first for awhile and the intensity I can bring to it is much higher than when doing it after a resistance workout.

xnipx

I've finished insanity and looking for a change of pace. Can I jump right into x2 or is it recommended do to regular p90x first?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've finished insanity and looking for a change of pace. Can I jump right into x2 or is it recommended do to regular p90x first?

If you have already done Insanity, I assume you are in good shape, so you could start with X2 right away. Amazing program by the way.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Agreed. I've been doing it first for awhile and the intensity I can bring to it is much higher than when doing it after a resistance workout.

On the other hand, the program is designed to have you do it afterwards. Think about the order of moves within some of the programs. Side-Tri-Rise is harder during Chest/Shoulders/Triceps because of where it is in relation to other exercises. I could bang out 40-50 normal pushups fresh, but is it going to do more for me, or even as much, than the 25-30 I can do in the midst of a tough P90X workout?

It's definitely easier to do ARX first. Particularly on Legs & Back days. But remember Tony's mantra -- make the last 3 reps count. To me, I think the same thing applies to ARX.

KingGondo

Banned
Definitely do X1 first. It's foundational and many of the moves and principles are carried over.

X2 is more of an extension of X1 than a standalone program, IMO.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Since it was so nice yesterday (77 and sunny here) I went for a 2.5 mile run instead of a video. Now deciding what to do today. My legs are a bit tired from running still, so not sure if plyo is a good idea right away.

KingGondo

Banned
Since it was so nice yesterday (77 and sunny here) I went for a 2.5 mile run instead of a video. Now deciding what to do today. My legs are a bit tired from running still, so not sure if plyo is a good idea right away.
As long as you're not in actual pain, I say go for it. One of the best ways to counter soreness from running is to keep on using your legs.

On a similar note, I started my first day of doubles today. Went on a 3 mile run this morning and have ARX/Chest Shoulders Tris this afternoon. Bringing it.

On the other hand, the program is designed to have you do it afterwards. Think about the order of moves within some of the programs. Side-Tri-Rise is harder during Chest/Shoulders/Triceps because of where it is in relation to other exercises. I could bang out 40-50 normal pushups fresh, but is it going to do more for me, or even as much, than the 25-30 I can do in the midst of a tough P90X workout?

It's definitely easier to do ARX first. Particularly on Legs & Back days. But remember Tony's mantra -- make the last 3 reps count. To me, I think the same thing applies to ARX.

I get what you're saying but I don't think it's that detrimental to the program. I'm still getting an incredible burn doing it first. It's not a walk in the park.

106 and smokey here today ugh. I have X2 Chest Shoulders and Tris tonight. Looking forward to it, I remember liking that video more than the other X2 chest workout.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have definitely settled in to doing ARX first on some days- it feels great to give that workout your all before going into the day's resistance training.

For those looking to mix it up a bit, I'm very fond of this fast-paced sub-10 minute ab workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_usVg7Fp0 Burns awesome and awfully.

First Bootcamp with Silvy Marcy Michelle and Erika complete (Stacey and Nicole were busy over lunch this time).

I believe could get used to this.

FOOTE

I admit that I like doing ARX before, but you have to be careful not to injure yourself if you do. Your core is the most important area of your body, especially when you workout, and ARX wipes the floor with it.

Just something to consider.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh fuck. Rest day. Went bowling. Bent funny during one bowl and now my knee is killing me. It feels like the joint, not the muscles. Really hope it's not there when I wake up.

Chest and back tomorrow so nothing too leg heavy, but I think I'll be copying The Blam during plyo.

Please just be a pain, not an strain. Pleaaaaase.

LaneDS

I had to work with Blackberry devices most of today so I am going to destroy Plyocide tonight to take out all of my RIM frustrations.

Edit: It destroyed me more than I destroyed it. Oh well! Did my best.

TrounceX

Alright guys, I don't post here at all, but I do regularly follow the thread. I just got done with my 4th month of P90X2/sometimes insanity split. It ended up being 4 months because I got very sick and lost basically all progress.

Anyways, I'm going to post before/after pictures. I was EXTREMELY embarrassed of my body before I started working out so I took a terrible picture which is my biggest regret now. It's hard to tell much from it, but I looked and felt awful and was basically the epitome of skinny fat, not to mention horribly out of shape. I thought long and hard about posting pictures here because I'm so embarrassed, so please be nice.

Oh and full disclosure I have been trying to do P90X for like a year now and have posted that before on this site. Almost all my results have been in the past 4 months.

Here we go:

pPFTr.jpg

I'm actually around 8lbs heavier in the after pic. Like I said the before pic is awful so its hard to get a good sense of progress. Please everybody take a good before pic. Don't be embarrassed or scared of failure like me.

edit: Can't believe I actually hit reply. Be nice GAF.

Awesome, awesome stuff dude. Thank you for sharing. I think you will end up being a huge motivation for a lot of us.

PS I posted my own before/after pic few pages back.

TrounceX

Awesome, awesome stuff dude. Thank you for sharing. I think you will end up being a huge motivation for a lot of us.

PS I posted my own before/after pic few pages back.

Oh my goodness it looks like you lost a ton of weight. Very nice.

I see you also really struggled with the diet portion of the program. I basically said to hell with that thing after about 2 weeks. I felt like I was losing too much weight, and was paranoid about losing what little muscle mass I actually had. Ended up just eating clean and making sure I got my macros in for the day. Also creatine. That stuff works wonders.

tch

Wow awesome results TrounceX! I don't know why you keep saying "be nice GAF," your progress is fantastic.

I unfortunately didn't take a "before" pic until 2 weeks in... Really regret it, as I noticed fat loss in the first few weeks.

stormer

hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on nutrition..

I'm having a very hard time prepping my meals during the week. I had a thought if I just ate the same thing everyday it would make life a lot more easier for me.

Is there any downside to this other than just getting bored with my meal plan? I think if I was on this program for 3 months I could handle eating more or less the same food every day during the work week (with a variation on the weekends)

Thanks for any feedback

Oh my goodness it looks like you lost a ton of weight. Very nice.

I see you also really struggled with the diet portion of the program. I basically said to hell with that thing after about 2 weeks. I felt like I was losing too much weight, and was paranoid about losing what little muscle mass I actually had. Ended up just eating clean and making sure I got my macros in for the day. Also creatine. That stuff works wonders.

yeah you are absolutely right, just like you I felt I was losing too much weight, and yes lol hell to it and I just started eating too.

May I ask what you take for creatine? Tony likes it too, and I think some people here take it as well

stormer said:

I'm having a very hard time prepping my meals during the week. I had a thought if I just ate the same thing everyday it would make life a lot more easier for me.

Is there any downside to this other than just getting bored with my meal plan? I think if I was on this program for 3 months I could handle eating more or less the same food every day during the work week (with a variation on the weekends)

Thanks for any feedback

Hey, that's pretty much what I did when I did P90X. There isn't a downside per se but I found for myself that eating became less pleasurable, and just like with the exercises I had more fun going through minor changes.

So for example for protein I went through fish/chicken/egg whites, veggies were spinach / cabbage

But do it if that's what it takes to get you going, and adjust (or not) accordingly

TrounceX

yeah you are absolutely right, just like you I felt I was losing too much weight, and yes lol hell to it and I just started eating too.

May I ask what you take for creatine? Tony likes it too, and I think some people here take it as well

I took Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate. About 5g or 1tbsp per day. Always with my post workout whey shake.

Thanks for any feedback

No don't do that, absolutely not. Excuse the pep talk, but you need to learn how to prioritize your time and prepare a variety of healthy meals. Sure you can eat the same thing for 3 months, but can you do it forever? Fitness isn't about doing the right thing for 3 months, you have to keep going after that, you have to make a lifestyle change, or else you'll find yourself right back where you started in no time.

Hey Trounce, you can still see how much progress was made from that before pic, excellent work! You should be proud, bud!

Thanks man. I'm still really self conscious about it, but it's good to get some compliments.

Thanks for any feedback

I've ate similar meals for over a year now. As long as you can stick it and not get bored its fine.

Morning - Omelette with low fat cheese
Lunch - Cous Cous & Chicken or Chicken Salad
Dinner - Chicken & Veg ( 6 varieties of veg )

Snacks consist of:

Greek yoghurt
Nuts / Fruit & Nuts
Protein bars
Protein Shakes
Peanut Butter Sandwich w/ wholemeal bread

Ill occasionally change the main and have a steak or lamb shank.

The main worry is getting bored. My sister tried what I did and quit after a week. If you're committed its a breeze as long as you enjoy the meals you're making and they are nutritious.

FOOTE

Alright guys, I don't post here at all, but I do regularly follow the thread. I just got done with my 4th month of P90X2/sometimes insanity split. It ended up being 4 months because I got very sick and lost basically all progress.

Anyways, I'm going to post before/after pictures. I was EXTREMELY embarrassed of my body before I started working out so I took a terrible picture which is my biggest regret now. It's hard to tell much from it, but I looked and felt awful and was basically the epitome of skinny fat, not to mention horribly out of shape. I thought long and hard about posting pictures here because I'm so embarrassed, so please be nice.

Oh and full disclosure I have been trying to do P90X for like a year now and have posted that before on this site. Almost all my results have been in the past 4 months.

Here we go:

http://i.imgur.com/pPFTr.jpg[/MG]

I'm actually around 8lbs heavier in the after pic. Like I said the before pic is awful so its hard to get a good sense of progress. Please everybody take a good before pic. Don't be embarrassed or scared of failure like me.

edit: Can't believe I actually hit reply. Be nice GAF.[/QUOTE]

Amazing results. It's definitely NOT hard to see your progress. You are shredded, man.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah Beachbody posted a response yesterday, basically lauding Ryan for his healthy lifestyle while not commenting on his political views. Apparently Michelle Obama does P90X as well.

FOOTE

X2 Yoga moves blazingly fast compared to YogaX. Finally got the crane. I may be a little odd that I've never been able to get it before, but I was able to do it this morning. 85 days to go.

deadlast

whoo hoo 206lbs this morning adding some p90x to my routine has helped me break that 208 barrier I couldn't seem to get past. my runs are getting faster as well.

KingGondo

Banned
Wow, I'm the most sore I've been since I started my first round of P90X four months ago.

Yesterday, I did a 3-mile run in the morning, then ARX/Chest, Tris, and Shoulders in the afternoon after work.

Felt a bit of soreness in my right knee, but it seems better today. Gonna bring it to the max with Plyo. I can already tell I'm gonna see huge progress by doing a doubles schedule and modifying my diet slightly.

EDIT: Also, can anyone suggest a good recovery drink and breakfast plan? I drink chocolate milk for recovery and GoLean with banana for breakfast, and I'm really trying to cut down on my carbs. A drink with some creatine might be nice.

Top Bottom