• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

FOOTE

Did Balance and power today. 84 days to go.

Hey guys. I was following this thread for some time, but didn't really commit to any of the programs. I am 6' 1" and 154 lbs. My arms are not that strong, but my biggest problem is that I am really tight. So I was wondering would it be a good idea to starts P90X, taking into account that sometimes doing a push can be a problem for me due to lack of flexibility in wrists. Also my hip flexibility is atrocious and when I generally start to do some more intense exercises I usually end up with some light injury (for example, last year I recovered from a tendonitis in my left arm just by intensively riding a bike uphill). This has prevented me from truly committing to a program. So considering the situation, would you guys have any advices on what program should I start / what modifications should I make/ or pre-program exercises that I should do. My biggest goal from these exercises would be to gain strength overall (I don’t care about looks), to become more flexible and to have a less injury prone body. My only concern is not to get injured on that process once again.
P90X might not be right for you until you address your issues. Power 90 might be a better fit to start with. Really though, you should see a doctor before starting a program if you are really this worried about injuring yourself. See what they suggest.

Hey guys. I was following this thread for some time, but didn't really commit to any of the programs. I am 6' 1" and 154 lbs. My arms are not that strong, but my biggest problem is that I am really tight. So I was wondering would it be a good idea to starts P90X, taking into account that sometimes doing a push can be a problem for me due to lack of flexibility in wrists. Also my hip flexibility is atrocious and when I generally start to do some more intense exercises I usually end up with some light injury (for example, last year I recovered from a tendonitis in my left arm just by intensively riding a bike uphill). This has prevented me from truly committing to a program. So considering the situation, would you guys have any advices on what program should I start / what modifications should I make/ or pre-program exercises that I should do. My biggest goal from these exercises would be to gain strength overall (I don’t care about looks), to become more flexible and to have a less injury prone body. My only concern is not to get injured on that process once again.

Get P90X but only do Yoga and X-Stretch exercises until you are comfortable with your flexibility. Yoga is slightly more intense but it shouldn't put too much strain on your joints. Both will help you greatly.

LaneDS

I'd also echo the "check with your doctor before starting" sentiment, but yoga and x-stretch are good starts that will greatly help your flexibility. Every workout has a stretching component at the start and end, and I would recommend spending extra time with those if you get the program (i.e. do the first and last ten minutes twice, basically).

Stampy

Get P90X but only do Yoga and X-Stretch exercises until you are comfortable with your flexibility. Yoga is slightly more intense but it shouldn't put too much strain on your joints. Both will help you greatly.

That seems like a viable option. And any type of start is better than no start. I guess 3 weeks of only Yoga and stretching each day could help me better prepare for this program. :) I only hope the lessened variety won't become a problem motivation vise.

LaneDS

That seems like a viable option. And any type of start is better than no start. I guess 3 weeks of only Yoga and stretching each day could help me better prepare for this program. :) I only hope the lessened variety won't become a problem motivation vise.

Careful with the yoga... it definitely helps your flexibility (and strength/balance/focus), but it is also difficult, so please pace yourself if you're prone to injury.

Stampy

Careful with the yoga... it definitely helps your flexibility (and strength/balance/focus), but it is also difficult, so please pace yourself if you're prone to injury.

I understand the advices and thanks for warning me in advance. After recovering from injury, I checked with my doctor and the recommendation was a general one. The doctor was more focused on dealing with the problem (fixing my tendonitis), rather then preventing it from appearing again. But taking into account that I feel ok now, I will go really slow and see where it takes me. This last year was a learning experience and I am not that eager to go through it again so in case of getting p90x I will definitely be extra careful (especially with yoga).

antti-la

I've been doing P90X since January. First time I completed the whole thing. After that I've worked out almost daily, but been mixing workouts etc.

I haven't even looked at the diet guide. I eat pretty regular food, but trying to avoid quick carbs and eat lots of protein. Weekends go a bit overboard sometimes :D

I notice i have been getting some improvement overall, nothing really dramatic, but some ab lines are drawn more strongly, biceps look bigger etc. Also i feel little more flexible, little more muscle and little less fat.

But my question is, how many reps is your max?

I get toasted so fast if i really max out on every move, so i don't really MAX OUT every time. Should you really?

Example. Chest & Back.

Normally I end up doing like 15 regular push ups, and just wait around for the next move to start... well more or less depending on how wide/narrow push up it is. (Diamond push up has been mad hard for me, i can do maybe 7 reps, after that i drop to the floor crying like a little baby)

Also I'm very bad with pull ups. (I tend to set goal on my head to 10 reps)

Fresh off I get maybe 6 reps and after that i need a chair to help.
Next time, maybe 4.. After that.. i hardly can do a single pull up.
By the time i reach narrow grip pull ups, I need help of a chair for every rep i do.

And this doesn't seem to improve. Also I don't ever get the feeling that I pull with my lats, it seems to be more with bicep / tricep. Any help here?

oatmeal

Banned
Day 4 of Phase 2 Recovery...X Stretch.

I've done that like...once...3 years ago.

I'm not very flexible so maybe I should actually do it some time.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've been doing P90X since January. First time I completed the whole thing. After that I've worked out almost daily, but been mixing workouts etc.

I haven't even looked at the diet guide. I eat pretty regular food, but trying to avoid quick carbs and eat lots of protein. Weekends go a bit overboard sometimes :D

I notice i have been getting some improvement overall, nothing really dramatic, but some ab lines are drawn more strongly, biceps look bigger etc. Also i feel little more flexible, little more muscle and little less fat.

But my question is, how many reps is your max?

I get toasted so fast if i really max out on every move, so i don't really MAX OUT every time. Should you really?

Example. Chest & Back.

Normally I end up doing like 15 regular push ups, and just wait around for the next move to start... well more or less depending on how wide/narrow push up it is. (Diamond push up has been mad hard for me, i can do maybe 7 reps, after that i drop to the floor crying like a little baby)

Also I'm very bad with pull ups. (I tend to set goal on my head to 10 reps)

Fresh off I get maybe 6 reps and after that i need a chair to help.
Next time, maybe 4.. After that.. i hardly can do a single pull up.
By the time i reach narrow grip pull ups, I need help of a chair for every rep i do.

And this doesn't seem to improve. Also I don't ever get the feeling that I pull with my lats, it seems to be more with bicep / tricep. Any help here?

You should be pushing yourself but try to avoid burning out. So, if you can do 15 pushups with good form and then stop, but you still have time, then do a couple more on your knees or pausing after every rep.

drspeedy

I understand the advices and thanks for warning me in advance. After recovering from injury, I checked with my doctor and the recommendation was a general one. The doctor was more focused on dealing with the problem (fixing my tendonitis), rather then preventing it from appearing again. But taking into account that I feel ok now, I will go really slow and see where it takes me. This last year was a learning experience and I am not that eager to go through it again so in case of getting p90x I will definitely be extra careful (especially with yoga).

Free advice incoming (worth every penny), as someone who's done both and has a similar situation:

I'd recommend you start with Insanity, or something without any weight training to speak of (you can still do some weights with Insanity, FWIW). Given your tendinitis, there's a very good chance of you getting some soreness or starting some nagging pain that could force you to give up, and maybe even worsen your issue.

Insanity has plenty of stretching worked into the program, and while it's not as concentrated as P90X's Yoga or X stretch you'll have the opportunity to improve flexibility as you go through each workout over the 60 days. And if things like the level 2 drills and pushups cause you some pain, you can cut the reps or skip them until you're stronger. Trust me, you'll get plenty of workout from the stuff that doesn't require wrists and elbows.

PM me if you want to talk through it. We can swap doctor stories!

LaneDS

You should be pushing yourself but try to avoid burning out. So, if you can do 15 pushups with good form and then stop, but you still have time, then do a couple more on your knees or pausing after every rep.

Echoing this too... the only way you really improve is if you push yourself out of your comfort zone. Don't worry about maxing out... you'll be exhausted, but if you're feeding your body the protein it needs to rebuild and grow stronger and keep pushing, you'll see nice gains I suspect.

antti-la, what do you have for weights or bands? Only in this second round of P90X (X2 actually, but whatever) have I seen some nice strength gains but I attribute that to two things:

1. Purchased Powerblocks so I can raise or lower my weights to find the proper amount for each exercise. With my first run through P90X I used two 15 lb dumbbells for pretty much everything which was fine for the start, but now I can really exhaust myself or use less weight for moves where 15 ends up as too much (like weighted arm circles).
2. Kind of covered in point 1, but really aiming for 8-10 reps on the exercises Tony says to do that many, and really struggling with the last 2-3 reps has really helped. Seeing nice week over week improvements to my numbers now that I'm able to max out. Lots of cursing and really struggling through the exercises apparently seems to help.

antti-la

I have this pull up bar
an_iron_gym.jpg

And a set of adjustable weights. 15kg or 33lbs per weight.

I only use full 15kg for easier back moves like heavy pants and lawnmower.

I tend to do curls (and various other bicep moves) with about 20pounds per weight. 7-9 reps usually. Although when workout is near end, i always cant get just that many and end up doing rest with lighter weight.

Feels disappointing when you feel like Bringing it! every day, but results say that you're one of those who tony say "people who end too quickly" D

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I started with 30's today. Got in 5, then 5 at 25, 6 at 22.5 and 8 at 20. I'll stay there until I can do 8 each clean.

Just realized that I only have one Back & Biceps left. Phase 3 alternates between Phase 1 and Phase 2 exercises, and I've only got 2 weeks left after this before the final recovery week. So I'll have to wait until I get to strip sets in X2 in a couple months.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Make sure that you are also eating and sleeping enough (around 8 hours). That can make a huge difference in your performance.
What's tragic is that I know this is holding me back more than anything else I'm going through. Shit just keeps happening. 4 hours last night.

Tonight, in bed by 11:30 with a melatonin for sure.

FOOTE

I've watched a bunch of these, and Hannibal (the guy who goes third on the dips) is pretty bulky, but the rest aren't that big... really just proving that core strength goes a long way.

But my triceps burn just watching that stuff, man. Pretty amazing
I'm sitting here tightening my abs watching it.

LaneDS

I've watched a bunch of these, and Hannibal (the guy who goes third on the dips) is pretty bulky, but the rest aren't that big (ok, 400% bigger than me, but still)... really just proving that core strength goes a long way.

But my triceps burn just watching that stuff, man. Pretty amazing

Don't let the fitness thread hear you say such things!

What's tragic is that I know this is holding me back more than anything else I'm going through. Shit just keeps happening. 4 hours last night.

Tonight, in bed by 11:30 with a melatonin for sure.

I also prescribe five dog snout pets before sleep.

LaneDS

The fitness thread doesn't believe in strengthening ones core?

Teasing, mostly, but that thread is so lifting focused that ideas like core strength seem to often fall by the wayside. I remember some people seeing Tenacious V's before/after photos from a few weeks back and basically suggesting he hadn't made any sort of tangible gains in strength and should really start lifting instead.

I'd much rather be able to do what the dudes in that video can do than to max out deadlifts and squats. Anyway, again, teasing and not trying to start that argument again.

Teasing, mostly, but that thread is so lifting focused that ideas like core strength seem to often fall by the wayside. I remember some people seeing Tenacious V's before/after photos from a few weeks back and basically suggesting he hadn't made any sort of tangible gains in strength and should really start lifting instead.

I'd much rather be able to do what the dudes in that video can do than to max out deadlifts and squats. Anyway, again, teasing and not trying to start that argument again.

You've got to be kidding me. I knew there was a reason why I don't go in there.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I saw the post Lane is mentioning and it reminded me of a phrase that Tony says in X2:

"Oh so you can do some bench presses, aren't you a big deal...... do functional fitness"

That shit is like a mantra now.

drspeedy

yeah, the lifting guys have their own thing, but I'll take feeling 'fit' over any specific one-off goal. A really good friend of mine does strongman competitions and his chest, forearm and grip strength are amazing... but he probably can't do more than 10 pushups, and one corncob pullup would be a stretch, that kind of mass just doesn't work for certain things.

Also: Planche a go-go, baby! I can't even get my feet of the ground!

Don't let the fitness thread hear you say such things!

You've got to be kidding me. I knew there was a reason why I don't go in there.

A strong deadlift, squat, power clean, bench, etc is all based on having an extremely strong core so to say that it falls to the wayside is incorrect especially when there is a lot of emphasis on bw exercises such as dips, chins, and pullups.

And you are wrong in that people were making suggestions that he lacked tangible gains in strength. The poster was asking how did he measure his gains in strength since he was curious. He even clarified that multiple times.

But yes, everyone has different goals in mind but in the end, a lot of the fundamentals are the same. If you don't have a strong core with a solid diet, what you are doing won't mean shit.

yeah, the lifting guys have their own thing, but I'll take feeling 'fit' over any specific one-off goal. A really good friend of mine does strongman competitions and his chest, forearm and grip strength are amazing... but he probably can't do more than 10 pushups, and one corncob pullup would be a stretch, that kind of mass just doesn't work for certain things.

Also: Planche a go-go, baby! I can't even get my feet of the ground!

I'm sure he can do more than 10 pushups =)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone else have issues with downward dog because you can't see yourself to know if your back is flat? It drives me nuts, so i fidget all the time trying to get lower, or moving my legs in, etc. :p

LaneDS

A strong deadlift, squat, power clean, bench, etc is all based on having an extremely strong core so to say that it falls to the wayside is incorrect especially when there is a lot of emphasis on bw exercises such as dips, chins, and pullups.

And you are wrong in that people were making suggestions that he lacked tangible gains in strength. The poster was asking how did he measure his gains in strength since he was curious. He even clarified that multiple times.

But yes, everyone has different goals in mind but in the end, a lot of the fundamentals are the same. If you don't have a strong core with a solid diet, what you are doing won't mean shit.

I'm sure he can do more than 10 pushups =)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40035567&postcount=15457

His post in question and my reply to it. Nothing against that poster, he clarified what he meant and is super supportive in that thread. Like I said twice, wasn't starting shit and was just teasing.

I saw the post Lane is mentioning and it reminded me of a phrase that Tony says in X2:

"Oh so you can do some bench presses, aren't you a big deal...... do functional fitness"

That shit is like a mantra now.

Functional fitness is one of my favorite terms now to describe what a program like X or X2 can give someone.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40035567&postcount=15457

His post in question and my reply to it. Nothing against that poster, he clarified what he meant and is super supportive in that thread. Like I said twice, wasn't starting shit and was just teasing.

Nah I gotcha. I know we are all on the same page here. What Tenacious V did is great and he looks fantastic. However, my goals are different and for me, I would much rather look like this (posted before but man, I love these pics and they get me motivated lol)

p-522983-randy-macho-man-savage-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-wrestling-photo-rdm-randysavage8x10-1.jpg
whc_daniel_bryan_by_windows8osx-d4jmgpp.jpg

YEAH BUDDY!

In the end, we are all on the same boat. Keep up the good work!

Legs and back for me. Going to do a reverse P90X classic for at least one month, swapping out Kenpo for yoga or rest day.

So it will be legs/back - yoga - shoulders - plyo - chest

LaneDS

Nah I gotcha. I know we are all on the same page here. What Tenacious V did is great and he looks fantastic. However, my goals are different and for me, I would much rather look like this (posted before but man, I love these pics and they get me motivated lol)

YEAH BUDDY!

In the end, we are all on the same boat. Keep up the good work!

E-high five for sure. If people are getting themselves more in shape and are happier as a result, then I'm all for it.

HP- Around the world pull-ups kick off that one (I did six messy ones), and many other good exercises as well. Good luck!

Ixian

So very true. I did my first night of deadlifts/squats/bench presses last Tuesday and they definitely ask a lot of your core (otherwise you'd fuck your back up pretty badly). Looking forward to day two today, though I whacked my knee against a fire hydrant yesterday so not sure how I feel about doing squats.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Legs and back for me. Going to do a reverse P90X classic for at least one month, swapping out Kenpo for yoga or rest day.

So it will be legs/back - yoga - shoulders - plyo - chest
I had Legs & Back today, too. Balanced Lunges still kill me for some reason (probably because it's the first move). And I hate 3-Way Lunges and Sneaky Lunges — not because they're difficult, but because they just go on for so long! I have exercise ADHD.

I have to do Kenpo bright and early before work tomorrow as I won't be home in the evening. I don't mind working out in the morning occasionally (couldn't do it every day), but I'm not sure if my downstairs neighbors feel the same. :|

Finished day 22! 68 days left!

The migraines I've had for the last few years have stopped happening. I used to get migraines once every other day, and it was unbearable. I always knew it was health related (I wasn't fat, but I didn't exercise anymore due to having 2 majors and 2 jobs), but I never had time to exercise.

But I have only had one migraine this entire 22 days and that was one the third day! So nice how much exercise will do you for!

LaneDS

Finished day 22! 68 days left!

The migraines I've had for the last few years have stopped happening. I used to get migraines once every other day, and it was unbearable. I always knew it was health related (I wasn't fat, but I didn't exercise anymore due to having 2 majors and 2 jobs), but I never had time to exercise.

But I have only had one migraine this entire 22 days and that was one the third day! So nice how much exercise will do you for!

That is damn awesome sir, and I hope the more you exercise the more of a memory they become.

Finished P90X+. Gonna take a few weeks off and do a modified P90X/Insanity/P90X+ hybrid to last me till 2013. Then I'm gonna try P90X2. Hopefully by then, I'll have my six pack abs :p

Btw, I dropped down to 11.3% BF according to my scale. Might try creatine on my next custom round, which I'ms ure will throw that scale off. I'll just make sure to compensate by continuing to watch the calories and use my heart rate monitor.

I had Legs & Back today, too. Balanced Lunges still kill me for some reason (probably because it's the first move). And I hate 3-Way Lunges and Sneaky Lunges — not because they're difficult, but because they just go on for so long! I have exercise ADHD.

I have to do Kenpo bright and early before work tomorrow as I won't be home in the evening. I don't mind working out in the morning occasionally (couldn't do it every day), but I'm not sure if my downstairs neighbors feel the same. :|

Hi Vas. I finished P90X, and just got done with X2. I am so badass. I am going to bring it and kill Legs and Back and Ab Ripper X! Arrrgggghhh! Tony Horton, I am gonna go Godzilla on your ass!

Still trying to catch my breath.....*Shavasana*

Top Bottom