• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

FOOTE

Today is a rest day. I did some bench pressing and other chest work on the bench which lasted about 25 minutes total(rest day). 83 Days left.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Legs & Back + ARX this morning. Crushed ARX despite being after Legs & Back.

Started practicing with my jump rope yesterday in preparation for Asylum, which starts in about 3 weeks. I could never jump rope as a kid, and it's a key part of the Asylum warm ups so I figure I had better get to it early. It's going to take some practice!

As far as the Big Lifts go, I won't do them for some very important reasons:
1. I don't have access to the proper equipment. There is an inclined smith machine at the gym at work, but that's far from ideal. There are no free barbells. Plus, I work out first thing in the morning, and don't have the equipment.
2. I don't have access to someone to teach me the proper form. Yeah, I can watch videos & I have Starting Strength, but a knowledgeable coach is crucial, particularly when you are starting out.
3. I don't have access to a spotter. A spotter who knows what he or she is doing is also crucial. I work out early in the morning, before my wife gets up, and as she's not a morning person I don't think she'd be too happy about me asking her to help out. For logistical reasons, mornings are the only time I can allot 1-2 hours for a workout. That's unlikely to change. And while I'm sure I could find someone at work to help out, the gym there doesn't have the appropriate equipment.
Without proper equipment, form and a spotter, the big lifts can be very dangerous. So in absence of those things, I'll focus on exercises I can safely do by myself.

LaneDS

Today is a rest day. I did some bench pressing and other chest work on the bench which lasted about 25 minutes total(rest day). 83 Days left.

It feels really hard to just not do anything physical on rest days, especially when X2 throws two at you a week.

Question for X2 vets: I'm 60 days in, and now I can either do one recovery week (was going to do an X1 recovery week) followed by three weeks of phase 3 (PAP time) or just straight up do four weeks of PAP... but looking at the schedule for phase 3 and the workouts themselves it seems like this would be the easiest phase to get tired of since you're doing nothing but PAP lower, upper and yoga (and the PAP workouts look good, but repetitive).

How should I close out X2?

Do a recovery week before PAP, it is literally the magic of X2. Get ready for it

Edit: to give you a different take on the 4-week thing. I stopped at 3 weeks not due to boredom but I felt it was enough and needed rest

It feels really hard to just not do anything physical on rest days, especially when X2 throws two at you a week.

Question for X2 vets: I'm 60 days in, and now I can either do one recovery week (was going to do an X1 recovery week) followed by three weeks of phase 3 (PAP time) or just straight up do four weeks of PAP... but looking at the schedule for phase 3 and the workouts themselves it seems like this would be the easiest phase to get tired of since you're doing nothing but PAP lower, upper and yoga (and the PAP workouts look good, but repetitive).

How should I close out X2?

Personally, 4 weeks of phase 3 got really boring for me. One of the few times I was dreading the workouts. I like the idea of an X1 recovery week and then Phase 3.

LaneDS

Do a recovery week before PAP, it is literally the magic of X2. Get ready for it

Why do you say that? I skipped through PAP lower last night just to look at what was there, and it looks challenging but obviously watching a workout and actually doing it is something else entirely.

HP- I'll go with an X1 recovery week next week... I haven't done any recovery weeks since starting X2, so it's probably overdue.

Why do you say that? I skipped through PAP lower last night just to look at what was there, and it looks challenging but obviously watching a workout and actually doing it is something else entirely.

HP- I'll go with an X1 recovery week next week... I haven't done any recovery weeks since starting X2, so it's probably overdue.

Because everything you have done in X2 so far is in preparation for the PAPs - your strength, your core, your breathing, everything. It's when all comes together, all the strength and all the cardiovascular you have done. It's like you will see yourself performing, rather than just "working out"

The PAPs are like tuned up core Synergistics

I really feel it propels and defines X2

LaneDS

Because everything you have done in X2 so far is in preparation for the PAPs - your strength, your core, your breathing, everything. It's when all comes together, all the strength without and all the cardiovascular you have done.

The PAPs are like tuned up core Synergistics

I really feel it propels and defines X2

That is exciting even though I made a face when you mentioned core syn. When it starts I will of course try to bring it, and I'll also post impressions.

That is exciting even though I made a face when you mentioned core syn. When it starts I will of course try to bring it, and I'll also post impressions.

Haha yea if you can (I couldn't), try go at their pace since intensity matters in PAP. You will see that as another example of how it all comes together

This was something "missing" in P90X, you know, a phase that brings you to another level and have you be ready for it.

LaneDS

Succumbed to having pizza for lunch today (ok, I admit it, I was the one that suggested it to co-workers), so I'll be bringing it properly later tonight. Will likely do X2 yoga and... something else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Succumbed to having pizza for lunch today (ok, I admit it, I was the one that suggested it to co-workers), so I'll be bringing it properly later tonight. Will likely do X2 yoga and... something else.
Heyyy, I had pizza for lunch too. Also went to gym over lunch though, so I'm not feeling abhorrent.

Espresso

Banned
Before I started P90X ~4 weeks ago I could barely run a half mile (I substitute cardio days for HIIT) before I was winded. Tonight I ran 1.2 miles and I felt like I could have run more. It feels great knowing that you're slowly but surely getting in better shape!

tch

Laid down about fifteen minutes into yoga, fell asleep and drooled on the mat, what do I win?

hahaha. I once did this in the middle of Ab ripper. It's a bad feeling. I can't imagine having to get up and do another hour of yoga! And yeah man your results are fantastic! Especially from day 90 to now. Inspiring stuff keep it up!

I am in the process of moving and regrettably had to pack away my pull-up bar and weights. This week's schedule is incredibly out of order. I think I'll do some core syn and make up Legs and Back on my break day tomorrow

LaneDS

hahaha. I once did this in the middle of Ab ripper. It's a bad feeling. I can't imagine having to get up and do another hour of yoga! And yeah man your results are fantastic! Especially from day 90 to now. Inspiring stuff keep it up!

I am in the process of moving and regrettably had to pack away my pull-up bar and weights. This week's schedule is incredibly out of order. I think I'll do some core syn and make up Legs and Back on my break day tomorrow

Haha, thanks man. I ended up just skipping X2 yoga yesterday (starting to get sick, likely due to overdoing it) but I'm going to try Base & Back in a few and do what I can.

Core syn is likely never the wrong choice to make, so good luck!

Getting set to start week 2 in just a few minutes. X2 Core! Looking to improve on my form, it was rough last time.

I really liked phase 1 and felt just by the time I was getting good at a lot of what it offered, it was on to phase 2.

Contemplating another 90 days of X2 after this is over instead of Insanity, but I'd also like to be able to say I finished Insanity and see what kind of effect it has on my fitness/weight loss goals.

Before I started P90X ~4 weeks ago I could barely run a half mile (I substitute cardio days for HIIT) before I was winded. Tonight I ran 1.2 miles and I felt like I could have run more. It feels great knowing that you're slowly but surely getting in better shape!

Awesome! You're going to continue to really and truly surprise yourself I reckon. Keep it up!

Crushed my personal best on a 10k run today! :) Went from a 51:45 on July 27th to a 49:27 today

You too (quoting spree continues!) with the awesome job! That's a pretty awesome time any way you slice it... I'd be happy going that pace for even a 5k!

FOOTE

How did you do? I bet you improved overall

I felt a lot more comfortable this time. The medicine ball burpies and the stability ball burpies are really hard. I did a lot better this time overall.

There's a lot of room for improvement though so I think I'm going to extend the phase to four weeks. That is, unless I can somehow get closer to matching the kids on the burpies. I'm getting about 1/3 of their numbers on them and I'm definitely not planning on racing through this program as quickly as possible. I want to make certain that I'm ready for phase two. But we'll see how the rest of this week and next week goes.

I'm not down on myself. I don't want it to seem like that. I feel great, and I can already see some pretty major results. I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff. Which is good sometimes, and really bad other times.

Side note- It's about time to get some new shoes for my workouts. Suggestions? Willing to go with anything from the $150 mark and down, and I do not want to get the finger/toes shoes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So day 68 I believe; Was a weird week in quite a few ways and my schedule was thrown off, but after Shoulders and Arms, I realized that I really am quite happy with my progress this cycle all things considered.

Lajyc.jpg

really noticeable growth from my perspective... it might not look like much for 1.5 cycles of P90X, but you must understand- I literally didn't have a visible muscle in my upper body my entire life before starting. The first bicep exercise I ever did, ever, was day one of P90X.

edit: Goddamn mosquitos.

So day 68 I believe; Was a weird week in quite a few ways and my schedule was thrown off, but after Shoulders and Arms, I realized that I really am quite happy with my progress this cycle all things considered.

Lajyc.jpg

really noticeable growth from my perspective... it might not look like much for 1.5 cycles of P90X, but you must understand- I literally didn't have a visible muscle in my upper body my entire life before starting. The first bicep exercise I ever did, ever, was day one of P90X.

edit: Goddamn mosquitos.

246_gun-showX2.jpg

I felt a lot more comfortable this time. The medicine ball burpies and the stability ball burpies are really hard. I did a lot better this time overall.

There's a lot of room for improvement though so I think I'm going to extend the phase to four weeks. That is, unless I can somehow get closer to matching the kids on the burpies. I'm getting about 1/3 of their numbers on them and I'm definitely not planning on racing through this program as quickly as possible. I want to make certain that I'm ready for phase two. But we'll see how the rest of this week and next week goes.

I'm not down on myself. I don't want it to seem like that. I feel great, and I can already see some pretty major results. I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff. Which is good sometimes, and really bad other times.

Side note- It's about time to get some new shoes for my workouts. Suggestions? Willing to go with anything from the $150 mark and down, and I do not want to get the finger/toes shoes.

I hear you. Burpees are tough, and form really is king in P90X2. I really love all the emphasis on core.

As for the shoes, nothing from me except perhaps recommendation into cross training shoes. I personally did all the workout barefoot with the exception of some balance moves

Sounds like you are already doing what's best for you. Awesome dude

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I wanted to go for a run this morning, but decided to actually "rest" on my rest day for a change. Well, I ended up doing about four hours of walking from errand to errand. My hamstrings are not happy with me... I think I've been over-working myself a bit lately.

I wanted to go for a run this morning, but decided to actually "rest" on my rest day for a change. Well, I ended up doing about four hours of walking from errand to errand. My hamstrings are not happy with me... I think I've been over-working myself a bit lately.

Yea rest sounds like a good idea

LaneDS

Nice work Hawkian! I guess I forgot (or didn't know?) that we started right around the same time. Keep going for those day 365 photos!

PKrockin

The drama has died down and I have a new computer, so in a few days I'll get a bunch of food and supplies (yoga mat and such) over my break and restart week 1.

Damn I can't wait to get to P90x. I'd start it now, but I am trying to lose weight first (about 6 more lbs before I reach my goal!), and I'm sick of starting stuff and never finishing it.

So I guess I will wait until the middle of Phase 2 when they change the exercises and I'll see how easy that is. If it's too easy, I'll just finish off Phase 2 and hit P90x.

Designed my work out plan for the next few months which will consist of P90X/Insanity/P90X+/Chalean Extreme. It's going longer than 90 days, but the idea is to make it last till I go home during Christmas to see the family. I'll rest up there for a week and a half or so, then jump right into P90X2.

Hoping by the time I go home, I"ll have that six pack that I wanted to get for my friend.

LaneDS

Designed my work out plan for the next few months which will consist of P90X/Insanity/P90X+/Chalean Extreme. It's going longer than 90 days, but the idea is to make it last till I go home during Christmas to see the family. I'll rest up there for a week and a half or so, then jump right into P90X2.

Hoping by the time I go home, I"ll have that six pack that I wanted to get for my friend.

Do you have the diet plan to match? Six packs are mostly about diet more than anything, or so I've heard/read. Either way, best of luck and I'm certain you will get there in time for both you and the memory of your friend.

Going for a run after doing B&B and ARX2 to officially close out phase 2 of X2... hoping I can beat my best time.

Do you have the diet plan to match? Six packs are mostly about diet more than anything, or so I've heard/read. Either way, best of luck and I'm certain you will get there in time for both you and the memory of your friend.

Going for a run after doing B&B and ARX2 to officially close out phase 2 of X2... hoping I can beat my best time.

I don't have a diet plan per se, but I monitor the hell out of my calories. I use a heart rate monitor for every exercise that I do, and I track/weigh literally everything I eat on myfitnesspal. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies (I generally rotate in spinach/carrots/broccoli/zucchini/mushrooms/bell pepper/onion/chicken/lean ground beef/tuna). I think I'm on the right track because my body fat % is slowly trending downward according to my scale. (12.6% to 11.5 in about 6 weeks)

My next step in my dieting is try to limit the amount of carbs I take in, but that may be tough to do with the amount of calories I need to eat and the carbs in my protein drink and creatine.

By the way are you doing a doubles program? If so, I'm curious about how much time you set aside between two work outs in a day? I try to give my body 8-10 hours to rest between work outs on those days, but I've done a minimum of 3 hours rest before too.

MIMIC

Banned
Just finished the first day of week 5.

"One-armed push-ups. MAXIMUM REPS!"

OK, Tony ;_;

Also, is the si-tri-rise move insanely easy for anyone else? I find that I can easily do 20 when the guys are struggling at 7 and 8. Maybe it's my lanky arms, lol. It's the one move that makes me look like a pro ^_^

tch

Also, is the si-tri-rise move insanely easy for anyone else? I find that I can easily do 20 when the guys are struggling at 7 and 8. Maybe it's my lanky arms, lol. It's the one move that makes me look like a pro ^_^

Same here. I find them pretty easy and am usually still doing them when they change sides/moves.

Ya, I find it easy as well. Lanky arms represent.

LaneDS

I don't have a diet plan per se, but I monitor the hell out of my calories. I use a heart rate monitor for every exercise that I do, and I track/weigh literally everything I eat on myfitnesspal. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies (I generally rotate in spinach/carrots/broccoli/zucchini/mushrooms/bell pepper/onion/chicken/lean ground beef/tuna). I think I'm on the right track because my body fat % is slowly trending downward according to my scale. (12.6% to 11.5 in about 6 weeks)

My next step in my dieting is try to limit the amount of carbs I take in, but that may be tough to do with the amount of calories I need to eat and the carbs in my protein drink and creatine.

By the way are you doing a doubles program? If so, I'm curious about how much time you set aside between two work outs in a day? I try to give my body 8-10 hours to rest between work outs on those days, but I've done a minimum of 3 hours rest before too.

Sounds like enough of a diet plan for me! I get what you're saying about not having something explicitly laid out, but that certainly sounds like you're on track both in terms of what you're eating and what you're doing physically to get you to your goal (and keep you there).

Regarding your question, no, not doing a doubles program but will occasionally mix things up and include more cardio than the schedule calls for, but only once or twice a week tops. Usually on those days I just go crazy and knock it out back to back (tonight I did B&B, ARX2, and a 5k without a break) with only a few exceptions that I can think of where I'd either run before work (which I hate) or on weekends when I start the day off with exercise and find I have the time/energy to do something else active later in the day. Probably not a helpful answer, but that's at least my two cents.

Definitely did not set a personal best for running, but ran the 5K tonight all the same. Oh well!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I find them easy-ish (still difficult) at the end of Shoulders & Arms, but they kill me during Chest/Shoulders/Triceps.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just finished the first day of week 5.

"One-armed push-ups. MAXIMUM REPS!"

OK, Tony ;_;

So did I, at first. We're doing it wrong. Don't use your core. At all. Makes these too easy. Also, really work on straightening out your arm all the way. Experiment with the placement of your hand until you feel it.

tch

So did I, at first. We're doing it wrong. Don't use your core. At all. Makes these too easy. Also, really work on straightening out your arm all the way. Experiment with the placement of your hand until you feel it.

Yeah I definitely feel it more the closer the supporting hand is to my arm pit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Be it coincidence, placebo effect, or completely psychological, I've definitely seen the most increase in ab definition since starting an IF/leangains regimen. Diet definitely has a massive impact here. I wish I was stricter on myself sometimes as I love seeing the results, but I also don't like depriving myself continuously in the name of fitness. 'S all about balance.

Be it coincidence, placebo effect, or completely psychological, I've definitely seen the most increase in ab definition since starting an IF/leangains regimen. Diet definitely has a massive impact here. I wish I was stricter on myself sometimes as I love seeing the results, but I also don't like depriving myself continuously in the name of fitness. 'S all about balance.

That's the thing, I know there is no way I'd be able to do something like leangains, so I choose to buy healthy food 95% of the time and keep track of how many calories I need in the day. Doesn't help to each a cup of spinach every day if I'm running a caloric deficit in the range of 500 calories a day

Ydahs

Is it okay to discuss Insanity in this thread? It seems a lot of p90x-ers have done both, so was hoping to get some advice along the journey.

I started p90x last October and was in the shape of my life come January. Dropped from nearly 90kgs to around 83kg even though weight loss wasn't my primary goal. I then began (Australian) football training late January and it's evident that this workout had increased my running, sprinting, strength and balance tenfold. I had many compliments on both my speed and agility. My confidence was running high too, since my skills were generally a whole lot better. Anyway, I continued to train until late April, where my weight was down to around 79kg, the lowest it's been in nearly five years.

Then, shin splints. For the past four months I've been dealing with this injury and it just won't go away. After a couple failed attempts at returning, I stopped playing half way through the season to let it recover. This gutted me, since I was giving it my all to my team and I felt I was actually contributing to our effort.

Fast forward to today. Our season ended yesterday, but my preseason starts tomorrow. My leg feels really good and I'm feeling energised to get back in shape. Even though I haven't been able to train in a long time, my strength doesn't seem to have faded away that much, so that's why I chose Insanity. I need to get the heart rate up and the blood flowing to drop back below 80kg. Once I'm done with Insanity, I'll take a month to rest and focus on exams. Then, a month and a half of p90x mixed in with Yoga to train the various muscle groups and then back to preseason training, where I'll hopefully be even fitter than this year :)

Ya'll probably didn't read that, but wish me luck anyway :D

LaneDS

Is it okay to discuss Insanity in this thread? It seems a lot of p90x-ers have done both, so was hoping to get some advice along the journey.

I started p90x last October and was in the shape of my life come January. Dropped from nearly 90kgs to around 83kg even though weight loss wasn't my primary goal. I then began (Australian) football training late January and it's evident that this workout had increased my running, sprinting, strength and balance tenfold. I had many compliments on both my speed and agility. My confidence was running high too, since my skills were generally a whole lot better. Anyway, I continued to train until late April, where my weight was down to around 79kg, the lowest it's been in nearly five years.

Then, shin splints. For the past four months I've been dealing with this injury and it just won't go away. After a couple failed attempts at returning, I stopped playing half way through the season to let it recover. This gutted me, since I was giving it my all to my team and I felt I was actually contributing to our effort.

Fast forward to today. Our season ended yesterday, but my preseason starts tomorrow. My leg feels really good and I'm feeling energised to get back in shape. Even though I haven't been able to train in a long time, my strength doesn't seem to have faded away that much, so that's why I chose Insanity. I need to get the heart rate up and the blood flowing to drop back below 80kg. Once I'm done with Insanity, I'll take a month to rest and focus on exams. Then, a month and a half of p90x mixed in with Yoga to train the various muscle groups and then back to preseason training, where I'll hopefully be even fitter than this year :)

Ya'll probably didn't read that, but wish me luck anyway :D

Good luck dude! Everyone in here is going to read it and think the same, I'd reckon. Be careful with Insanity + shin splints, as that program is definitely tougher on the legs, but if you're careful and stretch plenty I think it'll help get you what you're looking for.

Top Bottom