• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is it okay to discuss Insanity in this thread? It seems a lot of p90x-ers have done both, so was hoping to get some advice along the journey.

I started p90x last October and was in the shape of my life come January. Dropped from nearly 90kgs to around 83kg even though weight loss wasn't my primary goal. I then began (Australian) football training late January and it's evident that this workout had increased my running, sprinting, strength and balance tenfold. I had many compliments on both my speed and agility. My confidence was running high too, since my skills were generally a whole lot better. Anyway, I continued to train until late April, where my weight was down to around 79kg, the lowest it's been in nearly five years.

Then, shin splints. For the past four months I've been dealing with this injury and it just won't go away. After a couple failed attempts at returning, I stopped playing half way through the season to let it recover. This gutted me, since I was giving it my all to my team and I felt I was actually contributing to our effort.

Fast forward to today. Our season ended yesterday, but my preseason starts tomorrow. My leg feels really good and I'm feeling energised to get back in shape. Even though I haven't been able to train in a long time, my strength doesn't seem to have faded away that much, so that's why I chose Insanity. I need to get the heart rate up and the blood flowing to drop back below 80kg. Once I'm done with Insanity, I'll take a month to rest and focus on exams. Then, a month and a half of p90x mixed in with Yoga to train the various muscle groups and then back to preseason training, where I'll hopefully be even fitter than this year :)

Ya'll probably didn't read that, but wish me luck anyway :D
Good luck, and stick around this thread! Of course Insanity is discussed all the time in here despite the thread title :)

Suairyu

Banned
You guys should talk about TurboFire more.

Also feeling kinda drained today, for whatever reason. All lethargic. Have just drank a glass of orange juice (SUGAR!!) so going to give it half an hour and hope that perks me up a bit before legs and back. I normally like to do these with an empty stomach (at least 4 hours since eating/in-taking carbs) but right now I just seriously feel like I have no energy.

Is it okay to discuss Insanity in this thread? It seems a lot of p90x-ers have done both, so was hoping to get some advice along the journey.

I started p90x last October and was in the shape of my life come January. Dropped from nearly 90kgs to around 83kg even though weight loss wasn't my primary goal. I then began (Australian) football training late January and it's evident that this workout had increased my running, sprinting, strength and balance tenfold. I had many compliments on both my speed and agility. My confidence was running high too, since my skills were generally a whole lot better. Anyway, I continued to train until late April, where my weight was down to around 79kg, the lowest it's been in nearly five years.

Then, shin splints. For the past four months I've been dealing with this injury and it just won't go away. After a couple failed attempts at returning, I stopped playing half way through the season to let it recover. This gutted me, since I was giving it my all to my team and I felt I was actually contributing to our effort.

Fast forward to today. Our season ended yesterday, but my preseason starts tomorrow. My leg feels really good and I'm feeling energised to get back in shape. Even though I haven't been able to train in a long time, my strength doesn't seem to have faded away that much, so that's why I chose Insanity. I need to get the heart rate up and the blood flowing to drop back below 80kg. Once I'm done with Insanity, I'll take a month to rest and focus on exams. Then, a month and a half of p90x mixed in with Yoga to train the various muscle groups and then back to preseason training, where I'll hopefully be even fitter than this year :)

Ya'll probably didn't read that, but wish me luck anyway :D

Maybe do a hybrid round of P90x/INsanity where you replace the P90X cardio stuff with Insanity work outs? Bottom line, listen to your body

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
You guys should talk about TurboFire more.

Also feeling kinda drained today, for whatever reason. All lethargic. Have just drank a glass of orange juice (SUGAR!!) so going to give it half an hour and hope that perks me up a bit before legs and back. I normally like to do these with an empty stomach (at least 4 hours since eating/in-taking carbs) but right now I just seriously feel like I have no energy.
I typically do all of the routines around three hours after eating, but I sometimes struggle with the energy issue. I'll probably do my workout today soon, though, even though I just ate. Shouldn't be a big deal since it's resistance and not cardio, although I really dislike the feeling of doing Ab Ripper with food in my stomach — especially during V-Up Roll-Ups. Blech.

MIMIC

Banned
So did I, at first. We're doing it wrong. Don't use your core. At all. Makes these too easy. Also, really work on straightening out your arm all the way. Experiment with the placement of your hand until you feel it.

I wasn't using my core at all. I was just pushing right off of my arm until it was straight. I even didn't let my shoulder touch the ground just to make it harder (in case I still wasn't doing it right)

The fiancé did Base & Back with me today so we decided to take some pictures when we were done. Really killed it so I was feeling pretty good. Please excuse the low quality.

JVNjT.jpg

1WAKT.jpg

LaneDS

Hah, guess we will go on continuing to think you are in fact a wizard. Awesome results sir! You look mighty lean & strong.

Espresso

Banned
I'm still having trouble straightening my legs during fifer scissors/heels to the heavens. How'd you guys bring yourself to fully extend your legs? Hamstring stretches beforehand or something?

P.S. Nice work, HP!

I'm still having trouble straightening my legs during fifer scissors/heels to the heavens. How'd you guys bring yourself to fully extend your legs? Hamstring stretches beforehand or something?

P.S. Nice work, HP!

I still can't straighten them fully and I've gone through the program several times. I've made good progress tho, maybe one day.

Really nice pictures, HP! loved the biceps. When will we see your abs/back? :D

Once this Proactiv starts working. Just started it a month ago. It's one of those things I'm really self conscious about. I've had chest and back acne my whole and I've tried everything and nothing works. So here's hoping!

Once this Proactiv starts working. Just started it a month ago. It's one of those things I'm really self conscious about. I've had chest and back acne my whole and I've tried everything and nothing works. So here's hoping!

I hope Proactiv (had to google it ) will work too! I understand where you are coming from. Double thanks for even sharing the pics

PS to share something of my own too, if you look at my pics (I think two pages prior?) I have a "third nipple". comes from a biopsy I had to do a year ago. Dat nipple is gonna stay with me forever!

LaneDS

I still can't straighten them fully and I've gone through the program several times. I've made good progress tho, maybe one day.

I didn't realize you could use that stuff for body acne... oddly enough, since getting fit or somewhere close to fit I've started to get, uh, arm acne I guess? It's not that bad where it bothers me but I definitely was noticing it a fair amount during yoga tonight.

Anyway, hope it works for you soon sir!

mehdi_san

The fiancé did Base & Back with me today so we decided to take some pictures when we were done. Really killed it so I was feeling pretty good. Please excuse the low quality.
Impressive :) I gotta say, the way your veins pop out of your arms is totally badass.

Hah, guess we will go on continuing to think you are in fact a wizard. Awesome results sir! You look mighty lean & strong.
I miss your old avatar :(

Starting P90X2 phase 3 tonight, so I thought I'd also post my progress pictures. I actually put on some weight during phase 2 (my weight went up 2-3kg) and I blame it on overeating every night during the month of Ramadan (fasting). But I also feel that it gave me more energy during the workout, which is great because phase 2 is essentially a lot of resistance training. My pull-up numbers have gone up for instance. Anyway, for maximum impact, I just uploaded my day 1 pic and today's pic (day ... 150?) :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Everyone's looking great! Since I'm on a one-year plan, I'm holding off on posting pictures until I finish P90X2 in January. Only 30 days until Asylum...

dab0ne

The results in this thread have helped push me through for sure. I just finished week 12 plyo, which is a good feeling since it's the last plyo....

...until I start all over again with my friend in 2 weeks

KingGondo

Banned
Finished my first week of doubles yesterday.

I have to say, I slept like a baby all week. A 3-mile run in the morning followed by ARX/chest, shoulders, tris in the afternoon will beat the hell out of anyone. I feel like I did during my first week of P90X--challenged and exhausted, but giving it my all.

Also started my new diet regimen--Quest bars instead of Builder bars, blueberries on cereal instead of bananas, ON whey protein and creatine instead of chocolate milk, and reduced carbs overall. Feel fine so far, although my energy has been a bit lacking at times. Hopefully more sleep will solve that issue.

Thanks to everyone here for their input, you've been a huge help.

mehdi_san

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, it really means a lot.

Damn Mehdi, great work. Keep it up. How many weeks of phase 3 are you doing?

At least 3, but don't know yet if I'll do more. I did 4 weeks of phase 1 and 6 weeks of phase 2, but there was a lot of variety in these 2 phases (the spice of life!). As you know, phase 3 only has the 2 PAP workouts and Yoga, so I'm afraid I'll get bored quickly. But then again, Colette in PAP Lower, so... Also, it was good to finally hear her voice (she doesn't speak in X2 ab ripper!). Kinda disappointed she doesn't have a French-Italian accent though :(

Mehdi, looks amazing! That ps3 in the background is equally stunning too :)

Thinking about switching from syntha 6 to whey, is there any compelling reason to do so or not to do so? My aim is primarily to drink it at work 2X a day so I'm always full

LaneDS

Awesome work mehdi! That is quite the dramatic change for the better! What do you plan to do after X2 completes? I want to do Insanity but have really liked X2 and might opt for a second round of that with strict dieting instead (I ate a burrito from Chipotle today, shame on me!).

Looks like your posture is already improved, or will improve from the weight loss! Unexpected benefit?

Also, echoing BM's comment that the PS3 is awesome, and sorry about the avatar change- once Hawkian does another "real pic avatar" month I'll bring it back haha.

Finished my first week of doubles yesterday.

I have to say, I slept like a baby all week. A 3-mile run in the morning followed by ARX/chest, shoulders, tris in the afternoon will beat the hell out of anyone. I feel like I did during my first week of P90X--challenged and exhausted, but giving it my all.

Also started my new diet regimen--Quest bars instead of Builder bars, blueberries on cereal instead of bananas, ON whey protein and creatine instead of chocolate milk, and reduced carbs overall. Feel fine so far, although my energy has been a bit lacking at times. Hopefully more sleep will solve that issue.

Thanks to everyone here for their input, you've been a huge help.

How much sleep have you been getting, on average? I think most people suggest 8 hours if you can manage it. Also, I recommend microwaving those Quest bars about 10-15 seconds before eating them because they can have the consistency of a brick otherwise.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also, echoing BM's comment that the PS3 is awesome, and sorry about the avatar change- once Hawkian does another "real pic avatar" month I'll bring it back haha.
Gonna be january :) I gotta make my GW2 themed hawkavatar and throw it on here...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm still in that odd in-between time for programs. Last full week, then PAX next week. Deciding what schedule to do this week for workouts. I'll miss Tuesday and potentially Wednesday.

So, what to do for M, Th, Fr, Sat...

LaneDS

Oh shit, P90X Guild Wars 2 GAF, report in.

I'll be on Henge of Denvari or whatever the hell that server is called. Our D3 playing might have fizzled out quick, but this'll last. Get put in a knocked down state? Two push ups!

FOOTE

My weekend wiped me out and I didn't get up in time to workout this morning before work. It's a scheduled rest or recovery day but I did pure cardio from Insanity last week and I want to be as consistent as possible. I also like the slight tweak/change of pace. So, unless something changes within the next four hours, I'll get my workout in after work. That will leave me with 80 days left.

KingGondo

Banned
How much sleep have you been getting, on average? I think most people suggest 8 hours if you can manage it. Also, I recommend microwaving those Quest bars about 10-15 seconds before eating them because they can have the consistency of a brick otherwise.
Yeah, I probably get about 7 to 7 1/2 hours on weeknights, and I know I should get more. I'll make that my resolution for this week, even though I don't know if I can stick to it.

Thanks for the Quest advice, too--I like the taste more than I thought I would, but the chewiness can be a bit much, I agree.

Where do you buy yours? It would be nice to try some more flavors rather than ordering them 12 at a time via Amazon.

Starting Week 2 today and walking into work I consciously told myself "Remember how you aren't sore at all right now... cause that wont last" lol.

Looking forward to lifting again as my upper body feels great after week 1... Plyo on the legs though... not so much Haha

LaneDS

Yeah, I probably get about 7 to 7 1/2 hours on weeknights, and I know I should get more. I'll make that my resolution for this week, even though I don't know if I can stick to it.

Thanks for the Quest advice, too--I like the taste more than I thought I would, but the chewiness can be a bit much, I agree.

Where do you buy yours? It would be nice to try some more flavors rather than ordering them 12 at a time via Amazon.

First time I bought them I bought them from netrition.com, which I think was recommended or at least mentioned in either the Fitness thread, the weight loss thread, or maybe even this thread. The nice thing about that place is that you can buy bars individually, so I bought one bar of literally every flavor that sounded remotely appealing. I have basically settled on just buying the boxes of 12 from Amazon for Mixed Berry and Apple Pie as those are my favorites.

Sounds like you're getting a good amount of sleep, and if your body is waking you up naturally then I'd say that's the best way of knowing if you're getting enough.

Doing an X1 recovery week this week, starting with Core Syn tonight. Operation burn off the burrito begins right after work.

Oh, unrelated question for those that have done a proper Insanity run, for my co-worker who is about to start week three. He wanted to know if on the days that you have two workouts scheduled if you're supposed to do them back to back or spread them out across the day... anyone know the answer? Guessing you do them back to back, P90X style, but I didn't know.

Are you talking about Cario Abs and Insane Abs? If so, I did it right after the main workout. They both have a quick warm up so I guess you could do it whenever.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I start the dreaded Ch/Sh/Tri + Back and biceps week again!

I'm thinking about modifying again this part of my program and do PAP Lower in replacement of Plyocide.

TrounceX

So you guys that have done more than one round of P90X, are you still seeing steady results?

I'm trying to decide whether to do another round of P90X or move onto a more traditional bodybuilding program. Thanks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So you guys that have done more than one round of P90X, are you still seeing steady results?

I'm trying to decide whether to do another round of P90X or move onto a more traditional bodybuilding program. Thanks.

I keep seeing improvements in flexibility, balance, strength, etc. Visual improvements too.

You should consider trying X2. That program will take you into another level.

TrounceX

I keep seeing improvements in flexibility, balance, strength, etc. Visual improvements too.

You should consider trying X2. That program will take you into another level.

Good to know.

I do have both programs, and I mixed a little X2 into my original 3-4 month program and really enjoyed it. Mostly substituting in the PAP workouts when I was feeling good.

embalm

This is my last week of Insanity + Biking hybrid. I've lost about 19 lbs, but my endurance and leg strength gains are pretty impressive.

I'll post my fit test results at the end of the week.

LaneDS

Think I'm getting a cold :/

Gonna try to sweat it out of me with Pure Cardio.

You and I both... been feeling a bit under the weather since midday Friday, but have been trying to push through it.

Started an X1 recovery week between X2 phase 2 and 3 tonight, and did core syn and absolutely crushed it. Felt very strong and knew I outperformed what I was doing for this workout in big ways (only move that still flat out crushes me is chatturanga run... managed to do a few but ugh, awful). Feels good.

FOOTE

http://i.imgur.com/JVNjT.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1WAKT.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="mehdi_san, post: 41207800"]Impressive :) I gotta say, the way your veins pop out of your arms is totally badass.

I miss your old avatar :(

Starting P90X2 phase 3 tonight, so I thought I'd also post my progress pictures. I actually put on some weight during phase 2 (my weight went up 2-3kg) and I blame it on overeating every night during the month of Ramadan (fasting). But I also feel that it gave me more energy during the workout, which is great because phase 2 is essentially a lot of resistance training. My pull-up numbers have gone up for instance. Anyway, for maximum impact, I just uploaded my day 1 pic and today's pic (day ... 150?) :P[/QUOTE]
Impressive stuff.

Just finished my workout. 80 days to go.

tch

Dang at the new apartment. Its plyo day. I'm on the second floor and don't have much room Also I don't want to disturb the neighbors. Looks like I'm going to have to do it outside in the parking lot. Hope I don't get stabbed!

Top Bottom