• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Dang at the new apartment. Its plyo day. I'm on the second floor and don't have much room Also I don't want to disturb the neighbors. Looks like I'm going to have to do it outside in the parking lot. Hope I don't get stabbed!

Nobody is going to fuck with the crazy person doing jump knee tucks.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I felt like I needed to make up for some extra-bad stuff I ate last night, so today I did Plyo X and then went for a three mile run. Yeah... probably won't do that again. In retrospect, it was just unnecessary (cardio overload), and now my right hip flexor is kind of jacked up. In the future, I'll stick to adding running to other days (resistance days, mostly) if I REALLY feel like I need to do it.

LaneDS said:
Nobody is going to fuck with the crazy person doing jump knee tucks.
Speaking of which, today was the first time in forever that I actually paid attention to the video while doing that move — Frogboy is insane on the second set. Can any of you guys keep up at that pace? I'm not ashamed to say that I'm not even remotely close to approaching anything like that.

Ok after a month and a half of making excuses for myself, and after countless weekends of "let me eat as much shit food as possible before my diet starts", today I did Chest & Back + ARX for my P90X/Insanity hybrid Day 1.

I am more out of shape than I thought. 5'9" 230 pounds is the heaviest I've been, and my goal for this first round is 200 pounds. I could barely do 12 standard push-ups tonight, when I used to breeze through them before. Very disappointed.

DO you guys know of a good low carb vanilla protein shake? I used to mix up a scoop with oatmeal and fruits in the morning with good results. It was very tasty. My biggest challenge will be the diet, but I've already dropped sodas and sugary drinks. That's a start.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ok after a month and a half of making excuses for myself, and after countless weekends of "let me eat as much shit food as possible before my diet starts", today I did Chest & Back + ARX for my P90X/Insanity hybrid Day 1.

I am more out of shape than I thought. 5'9" 230 pounds is the heaviest I've been, and my goal for this first round is 200 pounds. I could barely do 12 standard push-ups tonight, when I used to breeze through them before. Very disappointed.

DO you guys know of a good low carb vanilla protein shake? I used to mix up a scoop with oatmeal and fruits in the morning with good results. It was very tasty. My biggest challenge will be the diet, but I've already dropped sodas and sugary drinks. That's a start.
You're going to get there.

Keep checking in here as often as possible. I use Pure Protein; their vanilla and chocolate are both pretty yummy with almond milk.

LaneDS

No reason to be disappointed in yourself sir, you took a very important step on the path to getting back to where you want to be tonight.

I felt like I needed to make up for some extra-bad stuff I ate last night, so today I did Plyo X and then went for a three mile run. Yeah... probably won't do that again. In retrospect, it was just unnecessary (cardio overload), and now my right hip flexor is kind of jacked up. In the future, I'll stick to adding running to other days (resistance days, mostly) if I REALLY feel like I need to do it.

Today taught me the key to dominating core syn and other difficult workouts is to eat a delicious burrito many hours beforehand.

(This is probably very false, but I will pretend to believe it.)

Stealing this from the pics that make you laugh thread, but I think it shows a good approach for stability ball use in X2:
dog-flips-over-ball1.gif

tch

Yep! Hurts like fuck and I don't do it every time, but I've kept pace with him jump for jump before. One of my proudest X accomplishments :D

That's really impressive man good on you! Tried it tonight and made it a little more than half way! New record. I'm going to try it from now on for sure, just as a fun mini-benchmark.

And I made it through unstabbed!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished Ch/Sh/Tri. I pushed myself to the max and I think it was my best performance yet. Curiously enough, I wasn't destroyed at the end of it like other times, so I guess the Creatine that I just started drinking is finally taking effect.

feelsgoodfrog.jpeg

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Speaking of which, today was the first time in forever that I actually paid attention to the video while doing that move — Frogboy is insane on the second set. Can any of you guys keep up at that pace? I'm not ashamed to say that I'm not even remotely close to approaching anything like that.

He's got nothing on some of the folks in Insanity. Even in the fit test.

mehdi_san

Holy crap just finished my first PAP upper, that was BRUTAL! And i'm gonna be doing it twice a week? haha...
Awesome work mehdi! That is quite the dramatic change for the better! What do you plan to do after X2 completes? I want to do Insanity but have really liked X2 and might opt for a second round of that with strict dieting instead (I ate a burrito from Chipotle today, shame on me!).
Thanks bro! I'm also still on the fence about Insanity. Really wanna try it (and see how hard it's gonna destroy it), but I've been enjoying P90X and X2 so much that I also just wanna keep doing these 2 programs back to back. Then again, Insanity is only 2 months, so it can't be that bad.

Stealing this from the pics that make you laugh thread, but I think it shows a good approach for stability ball use in X2:
dog-flips-over-ball1.gif
Love this haha!

KingGondo

Banned
Just finished Ch/Sh/Tri. I pushed myself to the max and I think it was my best performance yet. Curiously enough, I wasn't destroyed at the end of it like other times, so I guess the Creatine that I just started drinking is finally taking effect.

feelsgoodfrog.jpeg
Hopefully I see the same effect. I've been taking it for 4-5 days now and I'm hoping to see some progress. Coincidentally, I have chest, shoulders and tris today as well. I'll report back if I feel a difference.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Hopefully I see the same effect. I've been taking it for 4-5 days now and I'm hoping to see some progress. Coincidentally, I have chest, shoulders and tris today as well. I'll report back if I feel a difference.

Don't forget to take the creatine 30 minutes to 1 hour before you start the workout.

Don't forget to take the creatine 30 minutes to 1 hour before you start the workout.

It doesn't matter when you take it. Just as long as you have a consistent flow of creatine in your body. Creatine is about muscle saturation. It doesn's have an immediate effect like a pre workout product a la Pharm Assault.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It doesn't matter when you take it. Just as long as you have a consistent flow of creatine in your body. Creatine is about muscle saturation. It doesn's have an immediate effect like a pre workout product a la Pharm Assault.

Hmm, I read about this subject before I started taking it, and apparently it takes a while for the creatine to get into your system.

I'll see if there's any difference if I take it right before a workout next time.

Hmm, I read about this subject before I started taking it, and apparently it takes a while for the creatine to get into your system.

I'll see if there's any difference if I take it right before a workout next time.

It does take awhile to get into your system, that's why there is a loading phase. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.

The creatine your body will use in the upcoming workout will come from the creatine phosphate stores already in the cells that you've been loading into your body for the last week. Not from the creatine that you ingest right before the workout.

I'm thinking of starting this soon (P90, not P90X). My main question is what to do after the 90 days? Keep up the routine or is there another routine advised after the 90 days? Or is it expected that you jump straight into P90X after P90?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm thinking of starting this soon (P90, not P90X). My main question is what to do after the 90 days? Keep up the routine or is there another routine advised after the 90 days? Or is it expected that you jump straight into P90X after P90?

With the "P90" products there's always growth, meaning that if you finish the 90 days, you can choose to repeat it all over again but pushing yourself even harder and focusing on better form. Or you can move on to the next product for a new challenge, which in this case would be P90X.

It does take awhile to get into your system, that's why there is a loading phase. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.

The creatine your body will use in the upcoming workout will come from the creatine phosphate stores already in the cells that you've been loading into your body for the last week. Not from the creatine that you ingest right before the workout.

Yeah, I also read about the loading phase (15g of creatine for a week), but some people say it wasn't necessary, so I didn't do it. I started taking the creatine last week (one spoon, probably 5g) last week with some of my recovery week workouts like Core Synergistics, X2 Core, Total Body and Balance and Power. Hopefully I "loaded" the creatine there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did a 3 mile run yesterday to start my last non-program week.

Weighed myself 3 times this morning because I'm not sure if my scale is broke. It's not a very high end scale. But...

199.5, 199.5, 200.0.

Under 200? Is my $20 scale tricking me?

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Weighed myself 3 times this morning because I'm not sure if my scale is broke. It's not a very high end scale. But...

199.5, 199.5, 200.0.

If you have a dumbbell around, put it on the scale. If it gives you the correct weight of the dumbbell, then it might be right.

Yeah, I also read about the loading phase (15g of creatine for a week), but some people say it wasn't necessary, so I didn't do it. I started taking the creatine last week (one spoon, probably 5g) last week with some of my recovery week workouts like Core Synergistics, X2 Core, Total Body and Balance and Power. Hopefully I "loaded" the creatine there.

Ya you'll be fine. I take 5g a day.

LaneDS

199.5, 199.5, 200.0.

Nice! That's a big plateau to cross, so good going sir.

What should I sub out tonight's X1 recovery kenpo for? An Insanity workout? Not really wanting to do kenpo tonight, but as usual I want to do something (my legs are well and truly sore after the last few days which included B&B and a 5k on Saturday, yoga on Sunday, and core syn yesterday).

FOOTE

Nice! That's a big plateau to cross, so good going sir.

What should I sub out tonight's X1 recovery kenpo for? An Insanity workout? Not really wanting to do kenpo tonight, but as usual I want to do something (my legs are well and truly sore after the last few days which included B&B and a 5k on Saturday, yoga on Sunday, and core syn yesterday).
Dominate the Insanity fit test.

dab0ne

Did week 12 back and biceps. Definitely getting better. My weight is way down too. Weighed 178 after today's workout. Weighed 205 on day one. If I get down to 175 then that's a 30 lb weight loss. I will chalk that up as a victory for sure.

LaneDS

Opted for x2 yoga tonight but totally bombed out during the warrior 3 stuff... just running on fumes. Foam rolled a bit since my legs are shot and called it.

Plyo followed by a 12k bike ride and I feel awesome still... probably going to regret that by Thursday though, but so far week 2 is way less painful

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Felt great going back to PAP Lower. I'm gonna keep doing this workout in order to prepare for the 2012 "We Run" Nike 10K, which is in exactly 2 months.

Anyone here planning to join that race?

I've asked about recommended phase lengths for X2 before, and settled on 3-6-3.

How do you guys think I should mix in the alternated Phase II workouts? I know V Sculpt is considered a gem, but do you think I should split the 6 weeks for 3 and 3?

LaneDS

Is P90x/Insanity just good for weight loss or does it help with strength as well?

P90X/X2 has helped me with fat loss and muscle gain much more than I would say it has helped with my weight loss (which was my original focus).

I've asked about recommended phase lengths for X2 before, and settled on 3-6-3.

How do you guys think I should mix in the alternated Phase II workouts? I know V Sculpt is considered a gem, but do you think I should split the 6 weeks for 3 and 3?

I am doing 3-6-3, with an X1 recovery week (which is in progress) wedged between phase 2 and phase 3.

For phase 2, I did two weeks of what the normal schedule says, and one week where I did v sculpt on day one and chest/shoulders/tris on day four. Then I'd repeat that three week layout for the second half of phase 2. I was very pleased with my strength gains during that time.

LaneDS

Plyocide. Slightly sick. Good times ahead.

Bestah get some good plyo push-ups during that last move!

Also, feel better!

My "X1 recovery week" has already turned to bullshit, so I'm doing X2 total body tonight and X2 core on Friday. Recovery week now means week where you kick your own ass before the week you do PAP.

Bestah get some good plyo push-ups during that last move!

Also, feel better!

My "X1 recovery week" has already turned to bullshit, so I'm doing X2 total body tonight and X2 core on Friday. Recovery week now means week where you kick your own ass before the week you do PAP.

Thanks, you too (I think you said you feeling under the weather).

How many weeks of Phase 3 do you have again? 3?

LaneDS

Yeah, low-grade cold keeping me feeling sort of beat up all week, but nothing too bad (and thanks!).

Three weeks of PAP starting on Monday, and then either an Insanity run or maybe X2 again since I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, low-grade cold keeping me feeling sort of beat up all week, but nothing too bad (and thanks!).

Three weeks of PAP starting on Monday, and then either an Insanity run or maybe X2 again since I really enjoyed it.

Right on. Did you ever get a proper chair? You'll need one for PAP lower.

Did Chest & Back today for the first time in probably about 4 months (3 months to do P90X+ plus some weeks here and there I restarted stuff)

All of my numbers went up dramatically. I doubled my unassisted chin ups/pull ups (24 to 48) and my push up total only went down by 20 (241 down to 221) which is awesome cause this time around I used push up bars.

Didn't need to take any breaks either. Excited to start my next hybid program in two weeks to see where I can take this

LaneDS

Right on. Did you ever get a proper chair? You'll need one for PAP lower.

Blerg. Finished Total Body but didn't do ARX2 tonight as I think I might have just plain over exerted myself to the point where "a little sick and tired" is giving way to "you dun fucked up your body and are getting legit sick". Maybe. That was the downside.

The upside? I doubled my Total Body numbers in some areas, like the crunchy lever pull ups... did 12 first round and 11 the second, where I was doing anywhere from 4 to 6 for my phase 1 Total Body workouts... so that felt pretty awesome. Kind of sputtered out for the last few moves but at least did something.

And yeah, bought a folding chair some time ago; it's shitty, but it gets the job done for the most part.

obijkenobi- 48 unassisted chin pulls? Jesus! Is that in one go or for the workout total?

Blerg. Finished Total Body but didn't do ARX2 tonight as I think I might have just plain over exerted myself to the point where "a little sick and tired" is giving way to "you dun fucked up your body and are getting legit sick". Maybe. That was the downside.

The upside? I doubled my Total Body numbers in some areas, like the crunchy lever pull ups... did 12 first round and 11 the second, where I was doing anywhere from 4 to 6 for my phase 1 Total Body workouts... so that felt pretty awesome. Kind of sputtered out for the last few moves but at least did something.

And yeah, bought a folding chair some time ago; it's shitty, but it gets the job done for the most part.

obijkenobi- 48 unassisted chin pulls? Jesus! Is that in one go or for the workout total?

LOL. The whole work out. There are sets where the guys on the video for were aiming for 15-20 unassisted reps. Its two rounds of wide front pull ups, chins ups and close grip pull ups. The longest set lasts or a minute a piece, so I guess that was about 48 pull ups/chin ups in 6-7 minutes spread out over the video.

LaneDS

LOL. The whole work out. There are sets where the guys on the video for were aiming for 15-20 unassisted reps. Its two rounds of wide front pull ups, chins ups and close grip pull ups. The longest set lasts or a minute a piece, so I guess that was about 48 pull ups/chin ups in 6-7 minutes spread out over the video.

Hah, ok, kind of figured when I read the bit about 200-something push ups, but I had to check in case you were like an actual jedi or something. Good job all the same!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
P90X is amazing for functional fitness, core work and strength, and can be tailored for mass gain. I can't speak for insanity.

Top Bottom