• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

stormer

Hi guys so I am trying my first week doing p90x..

I started Sunday.. and man i'm really feeling pain all over my body now. Is it a big deal to skip the rest of the week or should I fight through this pain? or maybe get some kind of supplement to help me recover better (any suggestions?)

Also in the first week usually is there decent weight loss? looks like all I've lost is a pound so far (i'm on the tip of the obese range on the BMI index).

thanks!

LaneDS

Hi guys so I am trying my first week doing p90x..

I started Sunday.. and man i'm really feeling pain all over my body now. Is it a big deal to skip the rest of the week or should I fight through this pain? or maybe get some kind of supplement to help me recover better (any suggestions?)

Also in the first week usually is there decent weight loss? looks like all I've lost is a pound so far (i'm on the tip of the obese range on the BMI index).

thanks!

Is it pain, or is it extreme soreness? If it's legitimate pain, then give yourself a break and see if it goes away in a few days (if not, see a doctor to make sure you're ok to workout). If it's soreness, I say do the best you can and just expect the first week to be the most challenging in terms of pain or soreness.

I would need to know how much you weigh and how tall you are, plus your diet, to give you some reasonable estimate of weight loss (and even then it's just guess work). That said, I'd say if you're working hard and eating a lot of protein you won't see a lot of weight loss early on or perhaps at all, but you will see yourself looking and feeling much, much better. Either way, give it three or four weeks before you start weighing yourself, and I'd suggest taking body measurements to get a better estimate of your body composition changes as you go.

Good luck!

stormer

Is it pain, or is it extreme soreness?

I would need to know how much you weigh and how tall you are, plus your diet, to give you some reasonable estimate of weight loss (and even then it's just guess work).

Good luck!

Yep you are right its just extreme soreness, getting out of bed in the morning lol feels like I can barely lift my leg up..

I am 209 pounds right now and about 5'9 .. diet I am pretty careful about but I don't track everything. I know I am cutting down huge from what I ate before. No more junk food for sure either. But I try to stay within 1800 calories for the day.

thanks! I am going to try my best this time around

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep you are right its just extreme soreness, getting out of bed in the morning lol feels like I can barely lift my leg up..

I am 209 pounds right now and about 5'9 .. diet I am pretty careful about but I don't track everything. I know I am cutting down huge from what I ate before. No more junk food for sure either. But I try to stay within 1800 calories for the day.

You're going to do it. Stick around this thread and don't hesitate to ask ANYTHING.

Soreness is good- listen to your body and just know your limits. If you feel sharp pain during workouts, please stop!

You'll get stronger rapidly, and the soreness sort of starts to fade.

dab0ne

Good luck man, and it gets better. I was almost your exact body type when I started (5'9 and weighed 205) but now I weigh about 180 with a week to go. You're gonna be sore just drink lots of water, plenty of sleep, and maybe do some extra stretching. Good luck man and stick with it. You'll be glad you did.

I'm literally raging right now. I've somehow caught a cold and it's knocking the wind out of me trying to do anything, so I can't work out until it's gone.

Should I restart phase 2, or restart the week I'm on instead? I'm leaning more towards the latter, as I don't think it'll affect my results too drastically.

mehdi_san

Anyone of you ever thought of becoming a coach? I always see the informercial after my workouts, but I never actually pay attention to what they say.
I've recently convinced a group of friends here to start doing P90X with me, so I set up a private group on Facebook where I'll be giving them advices on what to do, where to get equipments or supplements in Japan, etc. So if I can also get discounts on Beachbody products by just doing this, I'll take it haha

Don't be afraid to eat more than 1800 calories a day if you're going all out on P90X. It's important you fuel your body correctly or you will burn out

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Anyone of you ever thought of becoming a coach? I always see the informercial after my workouts, but I never actually pay attention to what they say.
I've recently convinced a group of friends here to start doing P90X with me, so I set up a private group on Facebook where I'll be giving them advices on what to do, where to get equipments or supplements in Japan, etc. So if I can also get discounts on Beachbody products by just doing this, I'll take it haha

You also get your own Coach's Page on TeamBeachbody.com, with your own storefront. If people buy Beachbody products through your store, you get a commission.

I've thought about it, but I don't know how much time I have to 'run' an exercise group online.

I'm with you bro, I forgot how bad the first week always is. Did my first Shoulders and Arms yesterday, and pushed myself a lot. I'm going to really feel it tomorrow. As for Ab Ripper X, it hurts to cough or laugh, and I could barely stand up straight, but I pushed through and did better than Monday.

A couple of questions for the vets

1) What Insanity or P90X2 workout is a good substitute for KempoX on Saturday? I was thinking Insanity Pure Cardio, but it will be the day after Legs and Back. Not sure how that will play out jaja

2) Is there any bad about doing YogaX2 instead of the original YogaX? While extremely long, I always saw great benefits from YogaX my first go round. I like the idea of the workout being shorter, but will I be missing out on anything?

LaneDS

I've thought about it, but only in the sense that I want my form to get better and I'd like to be able to encourage friends and family to live more healthy lives... I have no interest in making a business, side or otherwise, out of it as I'm happy with my career. This thread, while not coaching, offers a lot of that which I really like: being able to motivate and be motivated by others... and it's free! Free is good.

Sanky- X2 yoga is quicker and harder in many senses, but X1 yoga probably provides you with better opportunities to stretch and work on your flexibility, since more time is spent on the workout. If you have the patience and time for X1 yoga, I'd say doing it sometimes would be good, but I've pretty much moved entirely to X2 yoga when I decide to try yoga.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
2) Is there any bad about doing YogaX2 instead of the original YogaX? While extremely long, I always saw great benefits from YogaX my first go round. I like the idea of the workout being shorter, but will I be missing out on anything?

The extension of your patience muscles. I find X2 Yoga superior in just about every way.

I'm with you bro, I forgot how bad the first week always is. Did my first Shoulders and Arms yesterday, and pushed myself a lot. I'm going to really feel it tomorrow. As for Ab Ripper X, it hurts to cough or laugh, and I could barely stand up straight, but I pushed through and did better than Monday.

A couple of questions for the vets

1) What Insanity or P90X2 workout is a good substitute for KempoX on Saturday? I was thinking Insanity Pure Cardio, but it will be the day after Legs and Back. Not sure how that will play out jaja

I've been replacing Kenpo with Pure Cardio for the last year. I haven't ran into any problems with it being a day after Legs & Back, not sure where you're at skill wise but give it a shot.

Even Tony has given the OK on doing X2 Yoga in place of Yoga X.

Awesome stuff. Yeah I'll hack it through Pure Cardio, and will do YogaX2.

I almost switched Legs & Back with Insanity Power and Resistance for a balanced all around resistance workout, but I guess legs need dedicated love too. The back excercises will also help my frame a lot.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Funny you mention that because is something that I also been considering. Tony has been an inspiration; the man started working out at around my age, so if I want to be where he's now when I get to that age, I gotta stick to it.

I really love working out, specially the X workouts. I can definitely see this as something that I want to keep doing for the rest of my life, and make a living out of it if possible.

drspeedy

My shoulders and quads have gained size and strength in the 5 weeks I've been doing insanity. I'll post picks in 3.5 more weeks.

I can echo that, my shoulders have definitely shaped up and increased size, not nearly what would happen if I was trying to bulk up, but you can add a little mass if you really push hard and follow the diet. I've been throwing in a few rounds of the upper body disk, which adds weights, I'd definitely recommend that if you want to get bigger while on insanity.

stormer

Thanks for the encouragement for those that commented earlier!

Quick couple of questions:

Do most of you guys put creatine in your whey before your workout or after? I've read posts that seem to differ..

Also Tony keeps saying recovery drink.. what is in this drink that helps you recover so much better?

Right now I am on my first week and not drinking any protein shakes or supplements..

thanks

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Tony seems to be referring directly to the Beachbody/P90X recovery formula (he's just pitching the product, of course), but it can really just be any protein (the key ingredient for muscle recovery) drink. I use milk + whey protein, while others go for chocolate milk, a more substantial protein shake with other stuff mixed in, etc.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Tony seems to be referring directly to the Beachbody/P90X recovery formula (he's just pitching the product, of course), but it can really just be any protein (the key ingredient for muscle recovery) drink. I use milk + whey protein, while others go for chocolate milk, a more substantial protein shake with other stuff mixed in, etc.

Actually the Beachbody recovery drink is a particular ratio of carbs to protein that has been found to improve muscle growth and reduce soreness if consumed within 60-90 minutes (or less, depending on where you read) of a workout. I think it's supposed to be around 3:1 carbs to protein. This differs from a standard protein drink which is really for supplementing your protein intake, and doesn't need to be consumed right after you work out.

I'm sure there are other recovery drink products (and certainly recipes) but I use Beachbody's myself. It is delicious.

Thanks for the encouragement for those that commented earlier!

Quick couple of questions:

Do most of you guys put creatine in your whey before your workout or after? I've read posts that seem to differ..

Also Tony keeps saying recovery drink.. what is in this drink that helps you recover so much better?

Right now I am on my first week and not drinking any protein shakes or supplements..

thanks

Hey there, welcome to the program! Good to see people jump in and take it seriously, we're a helpful and motivating group here :)

About the recovery drink..myself, I used a Gatorade recovery drink. They have a G series with three drinks. One is prime, two is perform, and three is recover. Three can be harder to find (its usually tucked in the corner at my local grocery store) but is a solid all around drink. Outside of that, there are a lot of shakes for recovery out there too, including the Beachbody drink Tony is specifically pimping out.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Actually the Beachbody recovery drink is a particular ratio of carbs to protein that has been found to improve muscle growth and reduce soreness if consumed within 60-90 minutes (or less, depending on where you read) of a workout. I think it's supposed to be around 3:1 carbs to protein. This differs from a standard protein drink which is really for supplementing your protein intake, and doesn't need to be consumed right after you work out.
Well, some protein (32g in my "shake") after working out is better than none at all, so I personally choose to drink mine after a workout (versus not consuming anything), even if it doesn't meet that optimal carb:protein ratio. I'm pretty sure a lot of people do the same.

I wasn't aware that the Beachbody recovery drink was anything more than typical whey protein, though. I guess that makes the cost a little more reasonable.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't drink a protein shake post-workout. But you don't HAVE to. You can have them whenever. They're intended to supplement your daily protein intake.

But a recovery drink is specifically intended to be taken shortly after finishing your workout. And the 3:1-4:1 carbs:protein ratio is specifically meant to promote muscle growth and reduce soreness.

A pre-workout drink usually has some carbs, some creatine, some vitamin B, maybe some caffeine, and is intended to give you energy and stamina to allow you to put more into your workout.

tch

Oh man. Turns out I've been doing 50 v-up roll-ups instead of 25 for the last 7 weeks! Got a buddy started on P90X and he pointed it out to me. I always thought Tony was just counting super fast, so I always paused it and did 50 at my own pace. I always had to take a break right after I was so tired. Now I can definitely keep pace with the video.

Anyone have any X-like snack suggestions? I keep finding myself just wanting to make a sandwich late at night or midday.

LaneDS

Anyone have any X-like snack suggestions? I keep finding myself just wanting to make a sandwich late at night or midday.

I like to buy bags of either raw snow or sugar snap peas, or green beans, and just eat the entire bag with a lot of water. It's not particularly tasty, but I find it pretty satisfying due to the crunchiness and the idea I can eat an absolute ton of them and get like, oh, 100 calories and maybe 20g carbs (way less net carbs due to fiber too).

More delicious options include a FlatOut flat bread heated up and with some organic peanut butter on it, but that I do maybe once a day because I know it's too delicious to be allowable often.

Or to get really x-like, sometimes I'll just ball up one of my workout sheets and eat that (note: this might be a lie).

tch

Hahaha. Ah good idea with the snap peas. I'll have to get some. Yeah a peanut butter sandwich is what I'm always tempted to make haha. Is the flat bread low-carb? If so that would be perfect. Thanks for the suggestion, and good luck on the double workout!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
One more Legs & Back to go. I decided to go back & compare my pull-up/chin-up counts to my first Legs & Back on 7/11. I did 20 unassisted through the entire routine. Today I did 104 (+32 assisted). I might have done more, but I crashed after a few of the last set of close-grip overhand chin-ups -- this move comes right after calf raises. I use 35lb weights. Holding 35lb dumbbells in each hand for 75 calf raises is HARD, and I just didn't have any grip strength. I probably should have paused the video a bit. I did fine on the final set of switch grip chin-ups, though.

tch

That's fantastic Steve! Soon you'll be in the "did over 120 pullups" club that Tony always brings up (and I feel like shit) after Legs and Back. I'm

Edit: just saw the assisted reps too. You're in the club!

YogaX2 last night...

So I did half-ass a lot of the moves, but I love the faster pace. I felt relaxed, but I think the original YogaX takes a bigger toll on you. I think I'll do the original when I have time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's fantastic Steve! Soon you'll be in the "did over 120 pullups" club that Tony always brings up (and I feel like shit) after Legs and Back. I'm

Edit: just saw the assisted reps too. You're in the club!
Haha, yeah, that line always bugs me :'(

LaneDS

YogaX2 last night...

So I did half-ass a lot of the moves, but I love the faster pace. I felt relaxed, but I think the original YogaX takes a bigger toll on you. I think I'll do the original when I have time.

Totally agree... they're both great, and although I do X2 95% of the time I still plan to return to X1 every so often.

tch- Check these out: http://www.flatoutbread.com/ they're probably not a great value money wise (nothing horrible I think) but if you're like me and really like bread as a carb source I find one or two a day makes those a great choice. Hopefully they're sold somewhere by you and you can check them out yourself.

Hawkian- what are you playing in GW2, dragon avatar guy? I'll be on all day tomorrow post workout (though not on GAF server), so holler if yer on.

Steve- you went from 20 unassisted to over 100 in a month and a half? Holy shit. Awesome work!

HP- thanks for the foam roller link, it is now saved.

Pure Cardio in the bank for today. Definitely still have a sore throat, but whatever, brought it or whatever the Shaun T equivalent it (dug deeper? Dumb). Will maybe do X2 core tonight to continue whatever stupid recovery week I've bullshat out.

tch

Awesome thanks Lane they are sold nearby I'll check them out. and yes I really like bread as a carb source haha

NoRéN

Been over 3 months. I did complete P90X2.

Much better than P90X. As with P90X, I did not alter my eating habits. Still lost weight but not as much as last time. I'm guessing this was due to muscle build from P90X. The workouts were much tougher but fun. Glad yoga seemed shorter.

Sadly, I started gaining weight again and lost some muscle mass(found another tumor, hospital stays and whatnot). But, I'm excited to start this up again.

I just wish I could motivate myself to eat as healthy as most of you do.

LaneDS

NoRéN;41367003 said:
Been over 3 months. I did complete P90X2.

Much better than P90X. As with P90X, I did not alter my eating habits. Still lost weight but not as much as last time. I'm guessing this was due to muscle build from P90X. The workouts were much tougher but fun. Glad yoga seemed shorter.

Sadly, I started gaining weight again and lost some muscle mass(found another tumor, hospital stays and whatnot). But, I'm excited to start this up again.

I just wish I could motivate myself to eat as healthy as most of you do.

Welcome back then! I hope your hospital stays took care of your issues or at least got you on track to take care of them.

As far as diet is concerned, I find the best approach is to just bit by bit make positive changes that you can live with, and it's not so bad. Having good results (both visual and in terms of general health) helps reinforce those changes too. Either way, good luck with both the workouts and the health issues; hopefully the thread can help you get better results too.

Awesome thanks Lane they are sold nearby I'll check them out. and yes I really like bread as a carb source haha

Yer welcome sir, hope you dig 'em.

jdub03

I'm doing P90x with a friend. I'm a college student who doesn't have a lot of money. Can you guys suggest some foods that are healthy filling and cheap that I can buy. I'm not looking to gain massive weight. I'm mostly just trying to get fit. I don't want to lose weight as I'm already tall and super skinny.

LaneDS

I'm doing P90x with a friend. I'm a college student who doesn't have a lot of money. Can you guys suggest some foods that are healthy filling and cheap that I can buy. I'm not looking to gain massive weight. I'm mostly just trying to get fit. I don't want to lose weight as I'm already tall and super skinny.

Any meal plan, or do you buy all your food yourself?

You'll want stuff high in protein and probably calories, but I'd look into milk-heavy diets, eating a lot of eggs, and any uh meat sources you can avail yourself to. I'd post a similar question in the fitness thread as that gets more traffic, and even if it's not P90X-centric I bet they can recommend some good stuff for you.

jdub03

You'll want stuff high in protein and probably calories, but I'd look into milk-heavy diets, eating a lot of eggs, and any uh meat sources you can avail yourself to. I'd post a similar question in the fitness thread as that gets more traffic, and even if it's not P90X-centric I bet they can recommend some good stuff for you.

Thanks. I'll post this in the fitness thread also. I'm looking for any meal plan that will help me maintain or build slightly bigger muscles. I'm looking for something simple and not too expensive as well.

NoRéN

Would peanut butter on say, whole wheat bread be a good, cheap source of protein?

LaneDS

NoRéN;41368292 said:
Would peanut butter on say, whole wheat bread be a good, cheap source of protein?

Probably too many carbs and too much sugar (depending on the brands) to do more than once a day I'd say, but certainly okay in moderation.

Top Bottom