• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

mehdi_san

On Tony's chat tonight he said he would really, really like to see Beachbody do a yoga series. That would be pretty great. He also re-confirmed that P90X3 is in the early stages, they're coming up with new moves, etc. Expected to release sometime next year.
X3? You can count me in on day one! If it's coming out next year, I think I can do one more round of each P90X and X2 before that.
I don't know about a yoga only program though....

Edit: new page! I should post some pics maybe. What's an easy way to post videos taken with the iPhone on GAF?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sad. Last Back & Biceps complete on Day 80. I like this routine -- so focused, no repeat-o-matic.

I imagine X3 won't be out until late next year. Ideally it'd be out in the Spring, since after I finish X2 in January I plan to do Asylum 2 followed by Body Beast, which would have me ready for another program some time in May. Although I suppose another round of Asylum 1 or 2 in between wouldn't hurt anything.

antti-la

Excited to see P90X3, but not interested if this means bringing even more equipment to home. Even P90X2 equipment seems a bit overwhelming to me.

Anyways, It's third day of P90X now. At least something seems to be changing as I have drastically been eating more after starting P90X this time.

I'm aiming for about 2400-2600 calories daily with these macros: P:37% / C:31% / F:32% How does this sound?

Here's a sample of my pretty "everyday" diet. Sorry about grams and liters, didn't bother to calculate all again.

~7am Breakfast.
Coffee with skim milk
2dl oatmeal + scoop of whey80 chocolate flavoured (1/2dl) + a pinch of goji berries

~12am Lunch
200g minced meat + 150g brown pasta + 100g cottage cheese
scoop of whey80 + creatine + 3.3dl skim milk

~3pm Coffeebreak
Coffee with skim milk
Protein bar

~5pm
Time to bring it!

~6.30pm
Exactly the same i had for lunch

~9pm
250g low fat quark

~11pm (right before sleep)
scoop of whey80 + 3.3dl skim milk

Eating this much however is very strange to me.. get fit and eat like this. Feels crazy. I feel like eating all the time and very large portions too. It's crazy how much you can eat regular food for this amount of calories. Somehow I'm very scared that i'll found out that I'm just gaining more fat to my body, when eating like this.

On the other hand, it seems now that I have worked out very dumbly in past. Always when doing P90X before, I have cut even more from my kind of already low calorie diet. And gotten literally no / very low results.

Today I'm sore as sh** after doing chest&back monday and plyo yesterday. Haven't feeled sore like this in a long time although i have worked out.

Soon, Shoulders and arms! Bring it!

LaneDS

Yeah PAP upper is quite the workout: pushups, pullups, curls, etc... And while it's only 51min (with warm up and stretching at the end included), it exhausts me and makes me sweat like no other workout! (or maybe core syn)

My yoga mat was effectively a giant sponge by the end, so that part about sweating seems very accurate.

Oh, and I am sore today. I haven't been sore (in this way) from a workout in months. Excited to do it again later.

Excited to see P90X3, but not interested if this means bringing even more equipment to home. Even P90X2 equipment seems a bit overwhelming to me.

Anyways, It's third day of P90X now. At least something seems to be changing as I have drastically been eating more after starting P90X this time.

I'm aiming for about 2400-2600 calories daily with these macros: P:37% / C:31% / F:32% How does this sound?

Here's a sample of my pretty "everyday" diet. Sorry about grams and liters, didn't bother to calculate all again.

~7am Breakfast.
Coffee with skim milk
2dl oatmeal + scoop of whey80 chocolate flavoured (1/2dl) + a pinch of goji berries

~12am Lunch

~3pm Coffeebreak
Coffee with skim milk
Protein bar

~5pm
Time to bring it!

~6.30pm

~9pm
250g low fat quark

Eating this much however is very strange to me.. get fit and eat like this. Feels crazy. I feel like eating all the time and very large portions too. It's crazy how much you can eat regular food for this amount of calories. Somehow I'm very scared that i'll found out that I'm just gaining more fat to my body, when eating like this.

On the other hand, it seems now that I have worked out very dumbly in past. Always when doing P90X before, I have cut even more from my kind of already low calorie diet. And gotten literally no / very low results.

Today I'm sore as sh** after doing chest&back monday and plyo yesterday. Haven't feeled sore like this in a long time although i have worked out.

Soon, Shoulders and arms! Bring it!

Sounds like you worked out a pretty good diet, so I think if you're bringing high intensity and finding that your body gives you that "always hungry" feeling you're probably on the right track! Continued good luck!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

~7am Breakfast.
Coffee with skim milk

~12am Lunch

~3pm Coffeebreak
Coffee with skim milk
Protein bar

~5pm
Time to bring it!

~6.30pm

~9pm
250g low fat quark

That looks incredibly balanced and disciplined to me. You keep that up and you'll see crazy results.

I think adding equipment is a must for these programs. There's only so much you can do just with weights. Adds some good flavor and variety. It will still be cheaper than having a gym membership.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good sir, have you kept up your P90X routines in between your GW efforts?
Certainly! Well, as best I could over the weekend, you know how Tyria can be :p

I've also been supplementing with lunchtime workouts at the gym, which feels pretty satisfying. Gonna do some core and cardio there today.

I've been finally seeing some results that made me pretty happy with my torso, but the scars from my stupid burns still won't fully heal so I can't show them off
KuGsj.gif

LaneDS

Certainly! Well, as best I could over the weekend, you know how Tyria can be :p

I've also been supplementing with lunchtime workouts at the gym, which feels pretty satisfying. Gonna do some core and cardio there today.

I've been finally seeing some results that made me pretty happy with my torso, but the scars from my stupid burns still won't fully heal so I can't show them off
KuGsj.gif

Everyone knows that scars just make you more badass, so wear them with pride! Good going though! What level are you in GW? That thread moves way too fast.

drspeedy

KuGsj.gif

Another vote for scars = awesome, also known as the "Seal Rule". Plus crappy cell phone pics help...

Happy to report that second week in, the soreness of the first week is gone. With better nutrition and working out, it's fun to feel hot all the time at my desk job. I can tell my metabolism is racing.

My P90X/Insanity hybrid is going well with Plyometric Circuit on tuesdays, and Pure Cardio on Saturday. For second month I will be bumping it up to Insanity Phase 2 workouts.

Sh Bi Tri tonight. Do you guys remember what weights you use? Last week I started with 35lb and went downhill from there :p I want to try to increase the weight each week (to a point of course).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Everyone knows that scars just make you more badass, so wear them with pride! Good going though! What level are you in GW? That thread moves way too fast.
27!

Tragically they're not really scars (maybe they will be at some point...). They're just nearly-healed scald marks, it looks awful :p

LaneDS

27!

Tragically they're not really scars (maybe they will be at some point...). They're just nearly-healed scald marks, it looks awful :p

Nice! Only 20 here, but should be able to binge a little over the long weekend. Will also binge on PAP. I want to eat really well and workout on schedule or slightly more than the schedule to close out the last three weeks of X2, so my day 180 photos show as much progress as I can muster.

Yoga tonight, which is kind of unexciting after two days of PAP. Will bring it regardless.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
That will probably be pretty difficult (at least I found it to be so), but you can also add more reps too.

Try for 8-10 reps. If you can't do 8 (it's OK if that last one is really hard!), then your weight is too high. When you can do 10, raise the weight. That's what I do, anyway.

Guevara

Goddamn I can do much of what Phil does but those one arm push-ups.

I think I just don't have the form right. Can someone explain the move? Is there a gif or a diagram of what I'm supposed to be doing?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Goddamn I can do much of what Phil does but those one arm push-ups.

I think I just don't have the form right. Can someone explain the move? Is there a gif or a diagram of what I'm supposed to be doing?

For me it's:
1. Wide legs, but ON MY KNEES
2. Arm straight down below shoulder
3. Wrist turned so fingers face inward towards chest
4. Go down as far as you can go & still get back up again.

I can do about 20 of those going about 3/4 of the way down. I can't do any on my toes. But we only do this workout a few times in P90X classic. I need to practice it more outside the workout.

Ixian

For me it's:
1. Wide legs, but ON MY KNEES
2. Arm straight down below shoulder
3. Wrist turned so fingers face inward towards chest
4. Go down as far as you can go & still get back up again.

I can do about 20 of those going about 3/4 of the way down. I can't do any on my toes. But we only do this workout a few times in P90X classic. I need to practice it more outside the workout.
This is how I did it. Wide legs are key. There was another pushup-style move where I was making things harder on myself by not having as wide of legs as the people in the video.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is how I did it. Wide legs are key. There was another pushup-style move where I was making things harder on myself by not having as wide of legs as the people in the video.
Diamond push-ups are meant to be done with wide legs (at least on P90X), but I don't think I noticed that at first. They're quite a bit harder otherwise.

Espresso

Banned
Twenty-ones; Am I supposed to alternate between a half curl and a full curl every other rep? I can't really tell what's going on. Thanks.

Edit: Back & Biceps.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Twenty-ones; Am I supposed to alternate between a half curl and a full curl every other rep? I can't really tell what's going on. Thanks.

Edit: Back & Biceps.

1 - 7 Straight arms to half curl
8 - 14 Start at half curl and complete the curl
15 - 21 Straight arm full curls

At least that's what I've been doing.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
1 - 7 Straight arms to half curl
8 - 14 Start at half curl and complete the curl
15 - 21 Straight arm full curls

At least that's what I've been doing.
Yeah, this is the right way.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished my PAP Lower at 12:30 AM. Man, I really gotta stop working out this late.

Really great workout session though. I remember I couldn't do the rise side leg move for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Now I can hold it for about 15 seconds.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just finished my PAP Lower at 12:30 AM. Man, I really gotta stop working out this late.

Really great workout session though. I remember I couldn't do the rise side leg move for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Now I can hold it for about 15 seconds.

I'm too wound up after exercising -- if I finished up that late I don't think I'd be able to sleep until 2AM!

nickcv

me and my bf were thinking about doing P90 or P90X, the problem is that we don't know which one is better.

we are pretty much 2 couch potatos because we have not being doing any sport activity in the last 5 months, so i'm afraid that P90X might be too hard for us, and most of all we don't have a place at home were we could actually use a pull up bar.

on the other hand i'm afraid that P90 might be too easy and boring, because there's not any real variety

what do you guys suggest?

dab0ne

me and my bf were thinking about doing P90 or P90X, the problem is that we don't know which one is better.

we are pretty much 2 couch potatos because we have not being doing any sport activity in the last 5 months, so i'm afraid that P90X might be too hard for us, and most of all we don't have a place at home were we could actually use a pull up bar.

on the other hand i'm afraid that P90 might be too easy and boring, because there's not any real variety

You could do P90X just modify the moves. Remember that it's supposed to be hard. If you do the workouts and you don't think it's hard then you're already in good shape :)

Seriously though. When I started 3 months ago I modified everything. The plyo stuff is 30 secondss per exercise and I couldn't do that so I would do 15 or 20 seconds each and I worked my way up to do the whole routine. It's about finding YOUR intensity level. As you start getting in better shape your intensity level will increase. P90X is hard but you shouldn't feel intimidated by it. Do your best and forget the rest ;)

congrats dab0ne!
Thanks

LaneDS

Seconding dab0ne's suggestion- go for P90X. It will be hard but do what you're able to and you'll get a lot out of it.

And congrats dab0ne! What's next for you?

dab0ne

thanks guys, but what about the pull-up bar?

any suggestion how to modify the exercises?

Use the weight bands instead of the pull ups or spot yourself by putting your foot on a kitchen chair while doing standard pull ups.

Seconding dab0ne's suggestion- go for P90X. It will be hard but do what you're able to and you'll get a lot out of it.

And congrats dab0ne! What's next for you?

Thanks man. I've talked three of my friends into doing a cycle of it with me. We start September 9th.

nickcv

Use the weight bands instead of the pull ups or spot yourself by putting your foot on a kitchen chair while doing standard pull ups.

Thanks man. I've talked three of my friends into doing a cycle of it with me. We start September 9th.

thanks dab, and congratulation!

LaneDS

You going to do a progress post, with pictures and all that? If you're comfortable with it, voting that you do as I know most of us like seeing positive results!

burnfout

Had to cut plyometrics short just now, 40 minutes in. Shin splints :(

That 5K run run two days ago did more harm than I thought I guess.

KingGondo

Banned
Had to cut plyometrics short just now, 40 minutes in. Shin splints :(

That 5K run run two days ago did more harm than I thought I guess.
Sorry to hear that. Shin splints have plagued me in the past too.

Did you warm up and stretch before you ran? I always do toe rotations (from X Stretch) in addition to a full rotation of leg stretches before I run, and I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood).

I'd also recommend going to a good running shoe store and getting recommendations. The right kind of shoe can make a world of difference.

dab0ne

You going to do a progress post, with pictures and all that? If you're comfortable with it, voting that you do as I know most of us like seeing positive results!

I was stupid and accidentally deleted my day 1 and 30 pics. Didn't bother taking a day 60 since I didn't have 1 or 30. I still have some of my old pants though. Maybe I will take some pics wearing those ha ha.

Edit: Oh well I'll just post next time. I'll take a day one the next time I do it and post from there. Sorry gaf, but trust me... I look and fell much better.

LaneDS

Sorry to hear that. Shin splints have plagued me in the past too.

Did you warm up and stretch before you ran? I always do toe rotations (from X Stretch) in addition to a full rotation of leg stretches before I run, and I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood).

I'd also recommend going to a good running shoe store and getting recommendations. The right kind of shoe can make a world of difference.

I'd also recommend the heel walk move where you walk around with straight legs on your heels for 30 seconds or so.

Carlisle

Man, I don't know what it is but this week has been killing me. I haven't been this sore the day after a work out since the first 2 weeks, and I'm on week 11. I do ARX on Mon and Wed, and I was still sore from Mon when I did it yesterday. I can usually do 15 Fifer Scissors before I have to briefly set a heel down for a breath, and even then I only do that at most 3 or 4 times. I was toasted after 6 reps, gritting my teeth and gripping the edges of my yoga mat like it was my first go ever. I'm so achey today, but I think Yoga X is just the thing I need to stretch out and loosen up from the last 3 days.

It's just weird that my body is starting to rebel again this close to the end. Or maybe it's the new shoes, they feel ever so slightly heavier than the ones I've used the whole run so far... would it make that much of a difference?

dab0ne

Man, I don't know what it is but this week has been killing me. I haven't been this sore the day after a work out since the first 2 weeks, and I'm on week 11. I do ARX on Mon and Wed, and I was still sore from Mon when I did it yesterday. I can usually do 15 Fifer Scissors before I have to briefly set a heel down for a breath, and even then I only do that at most 3 or 4 times. I was toasted after 6 reps, gritting my teeth and gripping the edges of my yoga mat like it was my first go ever. I'm so achey today, but I think Yoga X is just the thing I need to stretch out and loosen up from the last 3 days.

It's just weird that my body is starting to rebel again this close to the end. Or maybe it's the new shoes, they feel ever so slightly heavier than the ones I've used the whole run so far... would it make that much of a difference?

Sorry to hear about your stuggles but I doubt it's your new shoes. There could be a few reasons:

Are you getting enough sleep?
Are you over stressed about something?
Are you eating well/getting enough water?
Or maybe you're form is just getting better which can make the workout harder.
And sometimes you just have bad days.

Remember to not "get all jacked up about the numbers". If you're feeling the hurt then good things are happening.

Carlisle

Sorry to hear about your stuggles but I doubt it's your new shoes. There could be a few reasons:

Are you getting enough sleep?
Are you over stressed about something?
Are you eating well/getting enough water?
Or maybe you're form is just getting better which can make the workout harder.
And sometimes you just have bad days.

Remember to not "get all jacked up about the numbers". If you're feeling the hurt then good things are happening.

Yeah, I'm pleased that I'm feeling the burn, the concern is how it went from a steady burn to suddenly I can't sit up in bed. Definitely getting plenty of sleep, but I think you're on to something about water. I have maybe 4-5 glasses a day, and that's only half the recommended amount without intense exercise. Should probably keep a closer eye on that. And yeah, the form is improving. I do the in-and-outs with raised arms now, so maybe I'm just making it too hard on myself in the beginning and I'm hitting my max sooner than I'm used to.

Thanks for the advice. I've got some things to consider.

Top Bottom