• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Jarmel

Banned
Jarmel, my only bit of advice to you is to go ahead and order the P90 Master Series, which includes phases 5 and 6. I switched to phase 3/4 after 30 days, and doing the same routines for the next 60 days grew pretty monotonous.

You can wait a bit and see how it goes for you, when you switch to phase 3/4 and how you feel doing those. But for me I think I would have enjoyed it more and made better progress if I'd switched to 5/6 at day 60.

Final recovery week of P90X begins now. Off to Yoga X.

Ok, I just wanted to start and reviews I were reading said to lead in with the Power90 and then go to the P90 as the P90 can be rough if you're out of shape.

LaneDS

Ok, I just wanted to start and reviews I were reading said to lead in with the Power90 and then go to the P90 as the P90 can be rough if you're out of shape.

Please don't be afraid to use this thread for motivation, advice, or anything else that'll help you get where you want to be; good luck!

PAP lower to start my day... kind of dreading it, but kind of looking forward to being done early.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
You probably made the right choice. I've done Power 90 twice (a couple of years apart) and had great results both times, and it will definitely prepare you for the Master Series, P90X, Insanity, or whatever else you decide to try next.

LaneDS

Five PAP workouts down and they still are so hard I cheer a little when I finish one.

Less than two weeks until I've done six months of P90X/X2 and I'm pretty excited for that milestone.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is it possible to master lever or L shape pullups without an assist? I seem to be getting better, but I simply don't have the strength for L shape at all.

Cool let us know how it goes!

Phase 3 started today. Man I forgot just how brutal Chest and Back is... And first Ab Ripper back after the rest week slayed me as well. Although its possible that its because I really brought it in yoga belly 7 yesterday.

Will do. Hoping it can get me up to 190 by the end of it.

LaneDS

Is it possible to master lever or L shape pullups without an assist? I seem to be getting better, but I simply don't have the strength for L shape at all.

I'd think for L shape pull ups it's all about working on your core to the point you can support yourself properly, so I'm not sure how much the assist would really help there ultimately. Lever I have no idea as that is about as hard as pull up bar moves get for me, but I'd guess that's mega core + upper body strength, plus a lot of practice and focus.

What are you planning for the diet? Getting up to 2500 calories per day is already hard enough for me

I'm doing around 2300 a day currently and that's already a chore for me. I'm going to start making my shakes with 2 scoops of whey instead of one which will help. Not looking forward to buying so much ON though.

FOOTE

Practiced impossible/possible pushups tonight since I did only like half of one during the workout the other day. I give up after about 30 minutes and now I've completed a total of roughly three impossible/possible pushups.

I'm doing around 2300 a day currently and that's already a chore for me. I'm going to start making my shakes with 2 scoops of whey instead of one which will help. Not looking forward to buying so much ON though.

Yeah, don't know about you but my body can't handle that much either. Kind of was hoping the program would be more flexible with nutrition...like burgers or pizzas!

Maybe it's because I have been sick...but I really kind of miss just eating freely or not feel like I have to eat all day and still be at lower calories -____-

And Foote love those Impossible/possible! I think my first try was simply trying to stay on the ball for more than 2 secs

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Haven't been doing P90X for some time now, as I moved onto a different program in an effort to add some size.

My gym is apparently closed for the second straight week, so I decided to pop in Chest & Back + ARX rather than sit on my butt and do nothing and HOLY HELL. I forgot how freaking hard this stuff was.

It is funny, I've increased all of my lifts pretty dramatically over the past 5-6 weeks and I was feeling pretty good about where I was strength wise. I throw in Chest & Back and try to work to the same levels that I was doing when I stopped P90X and it knocked me flat on my ass. I barely had enough strength to get through ARX and I was only doing 15-20 reps of each ab exercise.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm done with my P90X / P90X2 mass hybrid, which took around 9 weeks. Overall, I think it went extremely well. When I started my weight was 169, and now I'm around 178. I definitely see an improvement in the biceps more than anything. I lost some definition in the stomach, but that mostly has to do with the fact that I allowed myself to cheat more often than I did before, and I also ignored the AB routines.

The hybrid should have been a little longer (4 more weeks) but I stopped it because I plan to do Body Beast in December, so in these 3 months I'm doing another full round of P90X2, which I really, really love. Just finised X2 Core and I feel gooooood.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the year + next year. I'm doing P90X2, then after that Body Beast and I'd also really like to try Insanity Asylum. On top of that I have two 10k races coming in the next two months, and I'd love to start some sport or physical activity like rock climbing.

Oh, and I'm also starting to cook and prepare food all by myself, so I'm taking care of the nutrition side as well.

Feels really awesome to know that this is the kind of lifestyle you want to have for the rest of your life. Hopefully when I reach 54 I'll have Tony's body and be part of a fitness company like him :p

I'm done with my P90X / P90X2 mass hybrid, which took around 9 weeks. Overall, I think it went extremely well. When I started my weight was 169, and now I'm around 178. I definitely see an improvement in the biceps more than anything.

The hybrid should have been a little longer (4 more weeks) but I stopped it because I plan to do Body Beast in December, so in these 3 months I'm doing another full round of P90X2, which I really, really love. Just finised X2 Core and I feel gooooood.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the year + next year. I'm doing P90X2, then after that Body Beast and I'd also really like to try Insanity Asylum. On top of that I have two 10k races coming in the next two months, and I'd love to start some sport or physical activity like rock climbing.

Oh, and I'm also starting to cook and prepare food all by myself, so I'm taking care of the nutrition side as well.

Feels really awesome to know that this is the kind of lifestyle you want to have for the rest of your life. Hopefully when I reach 54 I'll have Tony's body and be part of a fitness company like him :p

1. How is the massing coming?

2. Still waiting for the pics, Mr. Hybrid-X!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm definitely taking pics this time after 30 days. However, I need to buy or borrow a decent camera. I took pics today with my iPod Touch and they are fuzzy as fuck. lol:

jbkVO0d7WQ32KJ_e.jpg

Also, someone give me tips on how to take a good pic by yourself. Oh, and the elbow is red as hell because that Ryan Sphinx Twist Crunch at the end of X2 Core burns your elbow.

damn another gun show...maybe P90X GAF ought to put together a picture with all of our guns (mine would be a pistol, but still)

And as for a good picture, to be honest? This sounds way wrong, but just take off your shirt son! In front of the closet mirror, I mean

So on Saturday instead of doing Insanity Power and Resistance, my girl wanted me to do Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown with her. I said, pfffffff... I won't replace my insane asskicking routine with some girly video... I didn't know what hit me.

If some of you want some variety in Yoga, or want to do a good full body workout, this one surprised me. I did the Level 1 & Level 2 videos back to back, and man it works you. It's a bit more intense than Yoga X2, and I got the same soreness/shakiness from the original YogaX.

Don't think I'll replace YogaX2, but I could see myself dreading (but doing) this workout on some Saturdays.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm doing P90X2, then after that Body Beast and I'd also really like to try Insanity Asylum.

I'm starting Asylum next Monday, then doing X2. I plan to do Asylum Volume 2 after that and then Body Beast. I figure alternating between high cardio/interval/plyo of Insanity/Asylum as a cutting phase with a P90X/Body Beast building phase will be a good regimen.

After Body Beast I may do a hybrid until X3 comes out, we'll see.

LaneDS

Haven't been doing P90X for some time now, as I moved onto a different program in an effort to add some size.

My gym is apparently closed for the second straight week, so I decided to pop in Chest & Back + ARX rather than sit on my butt and do nothing and HOLY HELL. I forgot how freaking hard this stuff was.

It is funny, I've increased all of my lifts pretty dramatically over the past 5-6 weeks and I was feeling pretty good about where I was strength wise. I throw in Chest & Back and try to work to the same levels that I was doing when I stopped P90X and it knocked me flat on my ass. I barely had enough strength to get through ARX and I was only doing 15-20 reps of each ab exercise.

That's kind of a fun encouraging story; I enjoy that the program can still throw people for a loop even after they gained strength through traditional lifting programs.

I'm definitely taking pics this time after 30 days. However, I need to buy or borrow a decent camera. I took pics today with my iPod Touch and they are fuzzy as fuck. lol:

jbkVO0d7WQ32KJ_e.jpg

Also, someone give me tips on how to take a good pic by yourself. Oh, and the elbow is red as hell because that Ryan Sphinx Twist Crunch at the end of X2 Core burns your elbow.

Nice dude!

So on Saturday instead of doing Insanity Power and Resistance, my girl wanted me to do Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown with her. I said, pfffffff... I won't replace my insane asskicking routine with some girly video... I didn't know what hit me.

If some of you want some variety in Yoga, or want to do a good full body workout, this one surprised me. I did the Level 1 & Level 2 videos back to back, and man it works you. It's a bit more intense than Yoga X2, and I got the same soreness/shakiness from the original YogaX.

Don't think I'll replace YogaX2, but I could see myself dreading (but doing) this workout on some Saturdays.

I totally want to check out other types of yoga workouts, videos included, so that's good to know (although I don't see myself dropping any money on Jillian Michaels videos, but still good to know).

I'm starting Asylum next Monday, then doing X2. I plan to do Asylum Volume 2 after that and then Body Beast. I figure alternating between high cardio/interval/plyo of Insanity/Asylum as a cutting phase with a P90X/Body Beast building phase will be a good regimen.

After Body Beast I may do a hybrid until X3 comes out, we'll see.

Have you done Asylum before or will that be a new experience for you? Either way, good luck!

PAP upper tonight. I think I have good energy to bring to the table, and this week is pretty much the most stressful in recent memory so I am relying somewhat on workouts like this to keep my head in check.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Have you done Asylum before or will that be a new experience for you? Either way, good luck!

PAP upper tonight. I think I have good energy to bring to the table, and this week is pretty much the most stressful in recent memory so I am relying somewhat on workouts like this to keep my head in check.

Nah, I've done Insanity but not Asylum. I did use my new shoes for Core Syn today, they worked out well. I had Nike Free Runners for Insanity and they didn't have very good lateral support, so I just bought some Reebok CrossFit Nano 2.0's. I need to rearrange a few things in my exercise area (need a LOT of room for Asylum) but other than that I'm ready to go.

Sorry about your stressful week. Exercise is a great remedy!

Interview with Pam

I’ll give it a try.  When did he start calling you “Blam”?

During filming. That was spontaneous.

That’s interesting, because Tony gives the impression that he’d been calling you “Blam” for a while. I’d assumed he started calling you “Blam” during the test group pilot.

Hmm. Maybe Tony did call me that in the class, but during the test group, he wasn’t really picking people out and drawing attention to them. He was being encouraging, but it’s not like we had a friendship type of relationship with him. Tony was the instructor, and of course you could ask him questions and talk to him. He was accessible, but it wasn’t that kind of buddy-buddy relationship.

http://www.fitbomb.com/2009/10/my-interview-with-pam-blam-part-three.html?m=1

My world is shattered.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You know, I've heard a lot of people can't and don't like to work out late at night because they can't sleep after that. I guess I'm lucky because after an exhausting workout like Plyocide, I fall like a stone and wake up 8 hours later. It's awesome.

nickcv

first day of P90X completed.

i couldn't do any dive bomb pushup, i don't think i really understood how to do them.

also i couldn't complete the ab x, when i was half through i could barelly move my legs.
my arms are sore, and i'm feeling every single muscle in my pecs and shoulders.

i love it.

i'm really scared about today's workout

oatmeal

Banned
After like 3 weeks of constant traveling, I am back!

Phase three started yesterday...did Plyo today.

Sore as shit from Chest/Back. Feels good.

mehdi_san

You know, I've heard a lot of people can't and don't like to work out late at night because they can't sleep after that. I guess I'm lucky because after an exhausting workout like Plyocide, I fall like a stone and wake up 8 hours later. It's awesome.
Same thing with me. I don't think I'd be very functional at work if I did my workout in the morning.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Same thing with me. I don't think I'd be very functional at work if I did my workout in the morning.

I'm really wound up after I finish a workout. If I worked out late at night, it'd probably be at least an hour afterwards before I'd be able to fall asleep. Maybe I'm just more of a morning person.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
first day of P90X completed.

i couldn't do any dive bomb pushup, i don't think i really understood how to do them.

also i couldn't complete the ab x, when i was half through i could barelly move my legs.
my arms are sore, and i'm feeling every single muscle in my pecs and shoulders.

i love it.

i'm really scared about today's workout

Today is gonna be much easier :)

I'm a lier! Just do your best and forget the rest

I actually took a break from P90 for a week and a half and just stuck to running. I'm worried more about losing weight than gaining a little bit of muscle right now, and I hit a plateau for a week and a half with P90.

After that week and a half without P90, I've lost 3 lbs. Most is probably muscle and a bit of water weight from not working my upper body (and not drinking nearly as much water as before since I'm not exercising as much), but my waist size is getting smaller too. I also am looking thinner, too. I am down 14 lbs overall since late July. So nice. <3

Once I hit my goal, I'm gonna go right into P90x. My original goal was 155, but I think I can hit 150.

antti-la

The Mana Legend - You really can't tell that you've plateaued after week and a half of doing it. It doesn't mean plateau if you don't get as sore after workouts as before, you're body is just more used for that kind of stress and it doesn't hurt so bad, even though you're progressing. If you don't see results after months of doing those things, you can start to talk about plateau, sometimes even not then, on some individuals getting result just takes so much time and work.

Also if you eat proper, you won't lose a bunch weight with p90x, you just get more athletic appeal for yourself. You'll most certainly end up losing more weight just by running than with P90X workouts, I assume it's the same with P90. I have actually already gained some weight after starting to eat more and doing p90x.

For me day10 done today! And man, am i getting some results now with this new diet (listed couple pages back)!Today after workout, all pumped ofc, I really was struck on my way to shower when I bypassed bathroom mirrors. It's really starting to show! Makes me so happy!

Also if someday you're bored of doing the routine like ARX or it's just too damn hard for you. There's another short and intensive ab-routine by beachbodys own Debbie Siebers.

Slim & Six Pack

I have been doing this for a couple of times just for change. Don't let the looks of video fool you, because you'll end up squealing like a pig because it burns your abs so badly. I think it really gives the ab muscles a tight workout, where ARX really feels more like a midsection/core workout with some "hard to do correctly" ab moves.

Hey guys

So I'm about half way through my first round of P90X. Taken some pictures to compare, how am I doing in terms of muscle gain and abs? Personally I'm pretty happy with it, just wondering how it compares to you guys and your first round.

Day 1:
xxexV.jpg

Today:
5wHlZ.jpg

Day 1:
ZTsje.jpg

Today:
XjgHi.jpg

Day 1:
79UnP.jpg

Today:
OAGvr.jpg

LaneDS

Doing great man! Also doing great at making me feel old THANKS FOR THAT.

Seriously though, you're clearly putting on a lot of muscle and didn't have much fat to lose to begin with, so keep at it and you're gonna keep getting the results you want.

Ixian

About to break into the 150-159 weight range, still look like I have 30 pounds to lose. So mad.

And no, I'm not just being hard on myself. :b Someone build me a time machine so I can jump to the point where I'm done already!

Edit: Decided to look at various "recommended weight for your height" things: 158 pounds, 125-164 pounds, 148-160 pounds, 151 pounds. ffff. And this is why numbers aren't everything. :)

Carlisle

Going in for my final resistance+ab-ripper workout today. After this it's all yoga, core, cardio, and kenpo for a week and a half and I'm done! So pumped and so proud of myself for sticking through the whole thing. Damn, I really wish I took some before pics now :(

drspeedy

I might hafta try this. I'm constantly finding myself looking for new and interesting challenges. Plus my balance isn't great, so having to struggle here and there to hold moves is nice isometric work.

Although I recently just tried (wait for it....) "The Situation Workout" on loan from a friend. Holy crap is it silly. It's like a P90X-lite clone without any real substance. He doesn't explain anything gives no description of what you're about to do or give instruction, he says the word "okay" or "situation" literally every 5 seconds, and if you really want a workout I'd suggest chugging a beer every time he oogles or touches the girl behind him... at least that way you'd be lifting 12 oz constantly :)

images

nickcv

i've just finished plyo, and i'm pretty sure that tony is trying to kill me... well... "trying"... succeeding is the probably the right word in this context...

i've tried to do my best and i never stopped for the whole time, but halfway through my quads were pretty sore and i could barelly squat... next time i'll do better
, if i do survive
i hope.

Today is gonna be much easier :)

I'm a lier! Just do your best and forget the rest

you lier!
my mother was right when she told me to never trust a chicken!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys

So I'm about half way through my first round of P90X. Taken some pictures to compare, how am I doing in terms of muscle gain and abs? Personally I'm pretty happy with it, just wondering how it compares to you guys and your first round.
Looking great man. You're clearly getting where you want to go :)

I didn't gain that much muscle during my first 45 days because I still had plenty of fat to lose. You started from a very good position in my opinion, you can probably ramp up the calories in phase 3 and get some explosive growth :D

Carlisle

I'm sure this has been discussed before here, but what's the consensus on the accuracy of heart-rate monitors for estimating calories burned? I'm trying to keep tabs on caloric intake and burn, and I've been using myfitnesspal.com and p90xcalories.com for estimating. I started using a HRM this week and its estimates for my caloric burn are usually around 200 calories higher than p90xcalories.com. So I'm hesitant to rely on that and start overdoing my intake as a result if it's overestimating.

I feel like I should record a calorie burn at resting heart rate, expand that to length of the day's given workout and subtract that from the workout calorie burn result to get me a net burn, but I don't know if HRMs already factor that in.

Mine's pretty cheap (~$50) and for my info, only asks me to input my weight, but I figured it would at least give me a decent ballpark. 200 calories is a bit more of a difference than I expected.

nickcv

I'm sure this has been discussed before here, but what's the consensus on the accuracy of heart-rate monitors for estimating calories burned? I'm trying to keep tabs on caloric intake and burn, and I've been using myfitnesspal.com and p90xcalories.com for estimating. I started using a HRM this week and its estimates for my caloric burn are usually around 200 calories higher than p90xcalories.com. So I'm hesitant to rely on that and start overdoing my intake as a result if it's overestimating.

I feel like I should record a calorie burn at resting heart rate, expand that to length of the day's given workout and subtract that from the workout calorie burn result to get me a net burn, but I don't know if HRMs already factor that in.

Mine's pretty cheap (~$50) and for my info, only asks me to input my weight, but I figured it would at least give me a decent ballpark. 200 calories is a bit more of a difference than I expected.

i know that P90X focus a lot on calories count, but i don't really think that's a nice way to approach a diet, you just become a slave of scales and tables.

as long as you don't overeat, avoid sugars and processed food you are good to go.

besides that i do think that an HRM is essential to make sure your heart rate is appropriate to what you are trying to achieve.

the formula is pretty much the following:

men
(220 - age) * $percentage
women
(226 - age) * $percentage

the value of $percentage depends on what you are trying to achieve:

Healthy Heart Maintenance: 50% - 60%
Burn Fat & Calories: 60% - 70%
Increase stamina & endurance: 70% - 80%
Fitness conditioning, muscle building, and athletic training: 80% - 90%

so if you are a 22 years old man trying to lose weight you should keep you heart rate between 120 and 140

of course that formula is just an indication and a doctor or physician can give you a much more precise value of what your heart rate should be during exercise.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm now on the recovery week of my second month (of my second run of P90X1).

Not feeling so hot today, but I absolutely killed Core Syn yesterday. Did 40 stack-foot stagger-hands pushups (and could have done more given time), which was a definite personal best.

The ON whey protein + creatine has made a noticeable difference in my results and recovery. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Doing great man! Also doing great at making me feel old THANKS FOR THAT.

Seriously though, you're clearly putting on a lot of muscle and didn't have much fat to lose to begin with, so keep at it and you're gonna keep getting the results you want.

Haha well I'm only 19, probably the youngest in the thread! And thanks, just need to keep pushing and motivating myself to keep going.

Looking great man. You're clearly getting where you want to go :)

I didn't gain that much muscle during my first 45 days because I still had plenty of fat to lose. You started from a very good position in my opinion, you can probably ramp up the calories in phase 3 and get some explosive growth :D

Thanks, I'm definitely going to start trying to eat more, I don't eat that much apart from my main dinner and two protein shakes a day at the moment. Hopefully come phase 3 I can really push on and see a lot of gain!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It will exhaust you and tear your arm/back muscles apart, but the intro music from the DVD will pump you up like you have no idea.

It's one of the best workouts Tony has done.

Haha well I'm only 19, probably the youngest in the thread! And thanks, just need to keep pushing and motivating myself to keep going.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to start trying to eat more, I don't eat that much apart from my main dinner and two protein shakes a day at the moment. Hopefully come phase 3 I can really push on and see a lot of gain!

You look great. Im almost done with my first time through Insanity and just approaching your before picture. I hope that I can get to your after after another round of insanity (or Asylum, if I can afford it).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Back from Seattle and PAX. Up to 205 or so. Need to start planning a P90X1/2 hybrid. Anyone have a good mix? Or even a mix between P90X/2 and Insanity?

Top Bottom