• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Jos

Aight, cool. Also what BCAA are you taking because I got some unflavouried stuff that tastes really reallly bad. Pills may be better, but I'd have to take so many damn pills just to get 10 grams.

I am on Gaspari Nutrition Super High Performance BCAA 6000 - they are pills, and I take 6 - 8 at a time.

I wanted to get some powder, but I am based in New Zealand and we get reamed on supplement prices down here. A large container of Syntha-6 costs US$125 equivalent here - more than twice the price from what I can tell in the States.

Entropia

No One Remembers
As a change of pace, and not particularly following either program - I did the P90X cardio video instead of the P90 cardio. I felt that some of the moves were easier, but I am sweating way way more than I did during the P90 cardio vid.

First day of phase 2. Man, chest, shoulders, and triceps was a brutal workout.

Feels good though, and I'm looking forward to plyo tomorrow.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yeah, ch, sh & tr is insane. I was soaking wet by the end.

I'm also happy to report that I did more Fifer Scissors than ever today. I guess those extra carbs are finally kickin' in.

Jos

I noticed big improvements from the first week of Phase 2 after the rest week - stick with it. Will be worth it!

I accidentally did that one yesterday instead of what should have been my very first routine (Back & Shoulders).

I'm full of ouch now. lol

SteeloDMZ

Banned
LMAO, watching that Tony interview posted a while ago, I noticed that he has this piece of fan art framed, hanging on the wall of his home gym:

kQKjC.jpg

fqYka.png

pr0cs

Yep, for me personally it's one of the harder workouts. I find that my triceps hurt more from this exercise than any of the arms related workouts, probably because the variety of the pushups work them as well.

mm04

Yep, for me personally it's one of the harder workouts. I find that my triceps hurt more from this exercise than any of the arms related workouts, probably because the variety of the pushups work them as well.

If you really wanna feel good about yourself, minutes after you complete this workout, strip your shirt off and look in the mirror. It's a great motivator to keep pressing play, that's for sure.

Bah, I don't have enough space to do the plyo properly. I'm going to have to come up with slightly shorter variations on a couple of exercises.

Also, do all Americans have ridiculously high ceilings? I can't put my arms up on the jump ball one.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished plyo. Moving from fat shredder to energy booster seems like it was a good idea so far since I felt great throughout the workout, and I didn't feel like dying by the end like last week.

Poigea

So after doing a couple weeks of phase 3 of P90X2 I think I can safely say I like P90X better. I think I will just add some of the variations of push-ups/pull-ups to the P90X workouts and continue from there.

deviant1

Started my first round of P90X yesterday with chest and back and plyo absolutely kicked my ass today. I made it through but man I'm gonna feel this tomorrow.

I'm amazed at how motivating it is to have someone instructing me and seeing 4 people struggle through the workout too.

Question: been thinking about changing my diet to phase 2. I will start the first recovery week on Thursday. Can I do it then? Or should I wait until the workout phase 2 start? The reason why I want to switch is because I read that the high protein diet isn't sustainable anyway and I would like to see if I can get more energy from the extra carbs

Legs and back remain as one of my most hated workouts. It's definitely the day that gets the most expletives.

Definitely. Long day makes me completely unreceptive to his humor.

"Fuuuuckk you you didn't do the whole 30 seconds like I did!"

And fuck, accidentally ate a little butter with asparagus tonight. Didn't know butter was out of the question.

What kind of max HRs do people usually get?
181 for me yesterday. Really pushed myself.

Vaguely related, my abs are still aching from the combination of the last two days... anyone know any stretches which might be useful. I have ab ripper again today and I'd be lucky to do a couple of reps of most things as it stands. :D

mm04

I'm old (40) so I bought a heart rate monitor the first week after I literally felt like passing out during a workout. Wanted to make sure I wasn't overextending myself. I've found that upper 160's is about my limit when I need to slow down a little. I have my monitor set to beep when I go over 160. Core Synergistics is actually the workout that gets my HR the highest. Over 170 while doing prison pushups.

It's funny that some of you mention Legs and Back. That is the ONE workout that always still destroys me. Not the back, but the legs portion. Every Friday by 9pm or so, my gluts and hammys start to get really tight. Then it's pretty much a chore to walk around most weekends. I'm into Phase 3 of Round 2 and it's still doing the business on me. That stupid crouching warmup for Kenpo the very next morning doesn't help, either.

I'm old (40) so I bought a heart rate monitor the first week after I literally felt like passing out during a workout. Wanted to make sure I wasn't overextending myself. I've found that upper 160's is about my limit when I need to slow down a little. I have my monitor set to beep when I go over 160. Core Synergistics is actually the workout that gets my HR the highest. Over 170 while doing prison pushups.

It's funny that some of you mention Legs and Back. That is the ONE workout that always still destroys me. Not the back, but the legs portion. Every Friday by 9pm or so, my gluts and hammys start to get really tight. Then it's pretty much a chore to walk around most weekends. I'm into Phase 3 of Round 2 and it's still doing the business on me. That stupid crouching warmup for Kenpo the very next morning doesn't help, either.

Absolutely on the legs part. I have to do it late at night because of school, so I'm already tired enough before all the squats. My butt and calf and thighs hurt the day after. And the first twenty minutes of Kempo is a bitch because I have to my butt and legs just can't do the stretching properly like you mentioned

What's core synergistic like? Going to start it tomorrow

mm04

Absolutely on the legs part. I have to do it late at night because of school, so I'm already tired enough before all the squats. My butt and calf and thighs hurt the day after. And the first twenty minutes of Kempo is a bitch because I have to my butt and legs just can't do the stretching properly like you mentioned

What's core synergistic like? Going to start it tomorrow

IMO, core synergistics is THE cardio workout of all the DVDs. Typically, the first time through I fast forward through the workout the night before just so I'm better prepared for doing the workout the first time. It's a combination of cardio and strength moves.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Core synergistics is my favorite workout behind Plyometrics. There are pushups, ab work, cardio and weight lifting (to make some moves harder). You feel amazing after you finish it. Can't wait to do it next week.

GCNemesis

Looks like I'll be doing another additional week of Phase 1 starting tomorrow (total of 5 weeks) as my medicine balls won't be arriving until next week :(

I really need to figure out how to setup a pull-up bar in my basement. I have bands over a metal joist, which allows me to do the modified ones, but I know I'm nowhere near getting the action that traditional pull-ups would.

For those in Phase 2 of X2, are any of you using the bands instead of a pull-up bar? Also, do you think it's better to have dumbbells for the weighted exercises or will heavy bands suffice? Appreciate the feedback!

Thanks everyone. It's gonna be another challenge then since some days of core fall on school nights. Maybe I ought to suck it up and do it in the morning....

ocadman

Awesome thread! Just started Day 1 of P90X on Monday and I'm still sore from then. I can't even lift my arms above my chest. doesnotfeelgoodman.jpg

IMO, core synergistics is THE cardio workout of all the DVDs. Typically, the first time through I fast forward through the workout the night before just so I'm better prepared for doing the workout the first time. It's a combination of cardio and strength moves.

Idk why I like to do and view the DVD fresh at the same time. Maybe it gives me a reason to "take it easy", but then not really since I get pissed at not knowing the moves and end up doing it over and over again

I do like being surprised tho. "wtf is that?" :D

Entropia

No One Remembers
If I wanted to transition from P90 to P90X what will I need? Just yoga blocks and some resistance bands? (I have a pull up bar but for the door frames in my apartment can't hold it)

If I wanted to transition from P90 to P90X what will I need? Just yoga blocks and some resistance bands? (I have a pull up bar but for the door frames in my apartment can't hold it)

This is what I am doing (coming off p90 3 weeks ago)

Different levels of weights or bands. You really want to feel the burn around your last 3. I end up buying weights

Get a mat for plyo and yoga. I bought the one from Beachhody on amazon. It's a great shock absorbent and it works well with any exercises that require jumping or lying down

You don't need to but get a heart monitor do you can better track how much you are burning and your limits/zone

Diet. There will be a nutrition guide. If you can, follow it, structure your day around it. This is as important as any workout and it will be confusing and hard to follow at first

Yoga blocks...I bought them but have not found them too helpful. They are pretty cheap on amazon

As for the pull up bar. Will you have enough room to fit the bands through your door?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just started another round of P90X...only got the wife to start doing it with me! Oh man does she need some work...but at least I got her doing it.

Being sore after doing Chest/Back feels oddly good. Like a reminder that P90X kicks the shit out of you or something :lol

Top Bottom