• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You take two hand towels and roll them up and hang them from each end of the wide grip of the pull up bar. Then pull yourself up using the towels. Brutal.

I can't even do the second type of pull up in phase 1, the one where you lift your legs and swing backwards! Heh, I am getting better at the 4 position pullups though.

X2 Phase 2 starts for me next week.

I can't even do the second type of pull up in phase 1, the one where you lift your legs and swing backwards! Heh, I am getting better at the 4 position pullups though.

X2 Phase 2 starts for me next week.

That one is tough for me also. There is another one like it in phase 2. Good luck on next week.

Einbroch

Banned
Well, I'm back on the bandwagon again after falling off on day 18.

Just finished the first three days and THE BURN. Yoga tonight, I think. Got myself one of those weekly pill containers so I don't forget to take my pills so I think I'm good to go.

X2 people, do you like X Yoga or X2 Yoga more? I definitely like the length of the X2 one more but I feel like I got a better work out with X Yoga.

Syph

Neo Member
Did well on arms and shoulders. Plyo was brutal.. I had to stop a couple of times because I didn't want to puke.

I'm glad there's a thread on neogaf though. Reading other people's progress motivates me a lot.

lljride

I still like Yoga X more, but fuck if I'm not starting to get spoiled by the length of X2 Yoga. Agree with you that Yoga X feels like a better workout, to me X2 Yoga is almost like a more involved recovery day.

Quick caveat though, I'm kinda weird because I think Yoga X was my favorite P90X routine.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If you have an iOS device, the p90x app has pictures of the moves.
------

Has anyone done the performance maximizer plan of p90x? This plan looks perfect for me since you can have 3 portions of fruits.

Would this plan be wiser for those who want to gain lean mass/muscle?

Back and biceps was pretty cool, bit of a different workout. I really need to figure out a proper pullup solution here, I'm doing a kind of fake one with heavy dumbbells (saw the move on Youtube).

Plyo's still my fave.

181 for me yesterday. Really pushed myself.

Vaguely related, my abs are still aching from the combination of the last two days... anyone know any stretches which might be useful. I have ab ripper again today and I'd be lucky to do a couple of reps of most things as it stands. :D

Cat/camel stretch
Upward dog

If you're aching I wouldn't recommend doing another. Give your muscles time to heal.

Bearthgar

Banned
Phifer scissors is probably the exercise that my form is the shittiest on. Still have a really tough time extending the raised leg.

Just started phase 2 yesterday. Taking a short minute break after some of the super intense exercises like one legged wall squats and jumping knee tucks has really helped me from burning out during some of the tough workouts.

GCNemesis

Started P90X2 on January 17th, but didn't start tracking my caloric intake and taking pictures until the 19th. I can go into more detail about diet and such if people are interested, but I've maintained a 1850-1750 (or less) calorie diet. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. For reference, I'm 6'2".

Before: 220 pounds, 26% body fat
After: 205 pounds, 21% body fat

iAZUtkHVDTMC.png

iW4312u2yMWjC.png

I'm starting my 5th week of Phase 1 in X2 today and then moving straight to Phase 2. Looking forward to it!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Started P90X2 on January 17th, but didn't start tracking my caloric intake and taking pictures until the 19th. I can go into more detail about diet and such if people are interested, but I've maintained a 1850-1750 (or less) calorie diet. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. For reference, I'm 6'2".

Before: 220 pounds, 26% body fat
After: 205 pounds, 21% body fat

http://i.minus.com/iAZUtkHVDTMC.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iW4312u2yMWjC.png[IMG]

I'm starting my 5th week of Phase 1 in X2 today and then moving straight to Phase 2. Looking forward to it![/QUOTE]

Good stuff man, great progress so far.

...as an aside, you have no idea how angry it makes me to see someone weight about 30 pounds more than me and be about the same height and look better than I do :lol

You don't have a gut at all, just a slight rounding. I've still got this noticeable lump of fat that I can't ditch.

GCNemesis

Good stuff man, great progress so far.

...as an aside, you have no idea how angry it makes me to see someone weight about 30 pounds more than me and be about the same height and look better than I do

You don't have a gut at all, just a slight rounding. I've still got this noticeable lump of fat that I can't ditch.

Thanks! Had no intention of making anyone angry :p And I hear you, I've always had these love handles and they will not go away.

Good work GCNemesis. You're seeing results early, very nice. Btw, did you ever try pumping up those medicine balls?

Thanks! The pump that I have is too big for that medicine ball so I went ahead and ordered additional medicine balls since I'll need them for Phase 2 anyway. Perhaps if I borrow a bike pump or, better yet, I'll just take the medicine ball to a gas station and stand outside in the cold and try and use the air pump on it. I predict no weird looks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
X2 people, do you like X Yoga or X2 Yoga more? I definitely like the length of the X2 one more but I feel like I got a better work out with X Yoga.

I like X2 Yoga more. Yoga in X was way too long, and you didn't move between poses as quick.

I feel they both work well, but my blood gets moving more in X2 than X Yoga.

Garryk

What kind of supplements are you taking if any?

Argghh... fuck. Just did Yoga X. Do they do a version for humans? :(

I was ok at the second bit (well, except for putting my knees behind my head, WTF!), but holy shit at the first bit. I really wish they'd done an intro DVD for the motion stuff, I found it way too hard to understand what they wanted on a lot of them.

I was ok at the second bit (well, except for putting my knees behind my head, WTF!), but holy shit at the first bit. I really wish they'd done an intro DVD for the motion stuff, I found it way too hard to understand what they wanted on a lot of them.

Ya, it's impossible to get all the moves done in your first go around. I've noticed that with all the Beacbody programs. After a few more times of doing Yoga you'll start remembering the moves.

Yoga X! I cant put my legs all the way to my head either. And for crane I just skip it completely.

You must be in somewhat decent share already tho. When I first did upward dog in p90 that was the hardest thing ever with knees raised.

I don't know how ppl get through yoga x but I lean more towards just letting it play and do my best. Whereas with other exercises I will try to pause and get the forms right

RubxQub

It's crazy how much weaker my arms have gotten but apparently how much stronger my stomach has gotten between rounds of P90X.

For curls and kickbacks and shoulder presses all my weights have dropped by about 5-10 pounds...which sucks.

But when I do Ab Ripper X now, I can do 100% of more than half the moves now. I can actually do a good amount of Fiffer Scissors. I can ALMOST do all the mason twists at the end.

I was working out in general between rounds, but I knew I wasn't working my arms nearly as much as I was working my shoulders, chest, legs and stomach. Good to know I didn't lose strength EVERYWHERE. :lol

Flunkie

Banned
I just started this for the first time yesterday - P90X Classic. I'm 20, a slender build, 160, about 6'2", and haven't worked out or lifted weights since I tore my labrum when I was 16. So the first time doing back and biceps kicked my ass hard. Had plyos today, and it was awesome - reminded me of my old workout. My shoulders and whole upper body has been screaming at me all day. Dreading shoulders tomorrow.

Two questions - what do you guys use for your recovery drink, and what's a good simple snack for me afterwards? Keep in mind I'm a college student.

Above all, though, this already makes me feel fucking great about myself afterwards. So hyped.

Edit: My main goal is to build upper body muscle - regain everything I lost since surgery and put on more.

RubxQub

Lowfat chocolate milk is the most economical and effective recovery drink you can get. You want something with simple sugars and roughly a 3:1 or 4:1 carb to protein ratio to refill your glycogen stores quickly...and this does the trick.

Flunkie

Banned
Lowfat chocolate milk is the most economical and effective recovery drink you can get. You want something with simple sugars and roughly a 3:1 or 4:1 carb to protein ratio to refill your glycogen stores quickly...and this does the trick.

Nice, I just bought a carton of that yesterday cause I thought it'd be good. Intuition ftw.

Related to that, my missus is doing P90x but hates chocolate milk. Would strawberry milk likely do the same thing? The nutritional values seemed pretty close when I looked.

Seconded on low fat chocolate milk

Psycho: a quick google says strawberry milk might be fine too, but do compare the sugar level to chocolate. Although most seems to lean on chocolate milk

Sorry, tried to help

GCNemesis

What kind of supplements are you taking if any?

Just a one-a-day vitamin and two Syntha-6 protein shakes (one with breakfast, one after a workout with skim milk).

Getting fish oil next week and I'm switching out the Syntha-6 protein for Optimum 100% Gold as well.

Seconded on low fat chocolate milk

Psycho: a quick google says strawberry milk might be fine too, but do compare the sugar level to chocolate. Although most seems to lean on chocolate milk

Sorry, tried to help
Thanks. Had a look and they're within 1g per 100 of each other. I imagine that's close enough.

@GC: Have you been trying to do the same protein / carb / fat ratios as suggested in the guide or just going with a standard calorie controlled setup?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Fell off this week because I was sick. Going to have to just restart my week next week, which sucks. Oh well, such is life.

I did, however, lose 1 pound while being sick. Down to 154 now.

Checking out Core Synergistic DVD before I do it tomorrow. Oh man LOL I am excited and scared at the same time

and omg more lunges and more lunges. My buttocks!

GCNemesis

@GC: Have you been trying to do the same protein / carb / fat ratios as suggested in the guide or just going with a standard calorie controlled setup?

I'm fully behind the "calorie in, calorie out" mantra, but at the same time I try to incorporate the ratios within my calorie range. So in the ~1800 calories, I try to make sure that most of my calories come from protein, then carbohydrates and then fat.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Hmm, I own P90X, but only have 10 pounders. Will that do the trick, or should I dig for money under my couch for some bigger weights?

I've had P90x for awhile, go through 2 months of it, then the semester started and I lost track of it all. I think I'm about ready to jump back in.

Ydahs

It's been a month and 10 days since completing p90x and the weight just keeps on dropping. Down to 80kg now, around 2.5 kilos lighter than when I finished.

A question I was meaning to ask. When doing Ab Ripper X, do you guys sit on your butt or is most of your weight on your lower back? Mine is on my lower back and always leads to back pain. Eventually went to see a chiro and it turns out I have sciatica! Slightly better now, bought a foam roller and have been doing some exercises.

Once the back is normal again, I guess I'll jump back into it and do a mini program comprising of yoga, biceps and backs, plyo and the chest exercises. I'm really happy with my cardio, but still think my upper body can use more toning.

I'm on week 3 now (technically 4 but a sickness set me back a week) and I've skipped every cardio workout from P90X, instead choosing to do HIIT. I can tell a noticeable difference in my stamina. Running from one side of campus to the other to make it on time to class used to leave me out of breath, but now it's not really a problem. :D

Edit: It's also helped with walking the golf course. Score!

tralfazz

It's been a month and 10 days since completing p90x and the weight just keeps on dropping. Down to 80kg now, around 2.5 kilos lighter than when I finished.

A question I was meaning to ask. When doing Ab Ripper X, do you guys sit on your butt or is most of your weight on your lower back? Mine is on my lower back and always leads to back pain. Eventually went to see a chiro and it turns out I have sciatica! Slightly better now, bought a foam roller and have been doing some exercises.

Once the back is normal again, I guess I'll jump back into it and do a mini program comprising of yoga, biceps and backs, plyo and the chest exercises. I'm really happy with my cardio, but still think my upper body can use more toning.

I usually roll up the yoga mat a bit and butt it. You should be on your butt. Use your core to keep yourself up.

I'm fully behind the "calorie in, calorie out" mantra, but at the same time I try to incorporate the ratios within my calorie range. So in the ~1800 calories, I try to make sure that most of my calories come from protein, then carbohydrates and then fat.
Cool.

I'm mostly sticking to the ratios, but I've found 50/30/20 all but impossible. Seem to be doing ok at 45/30/25 as it's enabling me to get a few more calories a bit easier (initially I was struggling to get more than 1600 a day).

Phase 2 should be easy for me, as long as I don't eat too much. :)

Hmm, I own P90X, but only have 10 pounders. Will that do the trick, or should I dig for money under my couch for some bigger weights?

I've had P90x for awhile, go through 2 months of it, then the semester started and I lost track of it all. I think I'm about ready to jump back in.

You'll want more weight than that. Dumbbells can be expensive, I collected a set overtime so it's wasn't bad for me but all at once can be pricey. Maybe try looking into some resistance bands.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Alright, gentlemen and gentlemen...

I believe It's time for me to dive into this. I've been going to the gym in my apartment complex (it's 24 hours, which is great), but this seems really motivating.

The OP is great but a little overwhelming. I'm sure I'm the 100th person to ask for this sort of advice, but what are some tips for absolute beginners?

I've got a decent open space in my bedroom, but I still need to get the basic stuff. What's the best value of the stuff mentioned in the OP, and do I want bands or dumbbells preferably? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V5FDGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20 This seems like a great deal to get all-in-one, can anybody vouch for it? Or... what's the difference with this one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V5JQ2O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can do like a max of 1.5 chin ups on my own at the moment, so the Chin Up Max thing is pretty interesting... does it work with any pull up bar?

What's the basic time commitment per day? I know it varies a bit based on the workout.

Garryk

What's the basic time commitment per day? I know it varies a bit based on the workout.
At work or I would make a longer comment, but I get up at 5:15 every morning and get to work at 8. So I spend 5:30-6:30/45 (depending on if I have to do ARX) working out and then the rest of the time getting ready/commuting. I have my routine scheduled so I do Yoga X on Saturday (1hr30min workout).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Suppose that means I could get up at 6:30 and do it before work... but I know that's never gonna happen :lol

I know exercising in the morning is best, but I am just not anything close to a morning person. I'll probably be doing it first thing on getting home in the evening, An hour and 15ish every day should be doable.

Suppose that means I could get up at 6:30 and do it before work... but I know that's never gonna happen :lol

I know exercising in the morning is best, but I am just not anything close to a morning person. I'll probably be doing it first thing on getting home in the evening, An hour and 15ish every day should be doable.

I've tried doing it in the morning and it just wasn't for me. I do it right after work. I'd give both a try and see which one works better for you. If you force yourself into a time that isn't working for you that's when people usually start putting it off.

Menelaus

Banned
crossposted in the workout thread too...

Did the P90 Ab Ribber routine last night for the first time. It absolutely wrecked my tailbone/asscrack. Huge red welts and hurts to sit today. Anyone else tried this and experienced this?

Without meaning to be rude... do you have a particularly, uhh, large ass? I could see it being an issue if you basically folded some of your skin in on itself.

I've had some minor lower back strain doing it, but never anything like that.

sinnergy

crossposted in the workout thread too...

Did the P90 Ab Ribber routine last night for the first time. It absolutely wrecked my tailbone/asscrack. Huge red welts and hurts to sit today. Anyone else tried this and experienced this?

Use a yoga mat, ab ripper is kinda awesome, but it's very important that you (I am not english) if you have abs you tighten them first, as well as your back muscles and your butt-muscles, they stabilize your spin. You need your smaller muscles to get stronger otherwise you get injuries.

Ab ripper is high of injurie, the spine gets stretched etc.. and the stuff between columns in the spine, better is to do some exercises as in body rock with a medicine ball to strenghten the smaller muscles first. There are also some other exercises.

Menelaus

Banned
yeah, my ass is the first place i put weight on the last place i lose it. i was hoping "i'm a fatass" wasn't the answer, but if it is, then i'll just put off ab ripper until i drop a little more fat.

Infinity

I've been doing the P90 Beach cardio workout, and I'm about to finish my 2nd week. As a full time working parent, this has been great so far. It's a rigorous 35 minute workout that I can slide into my schedule and feel like I am accomplishing something. I've got about 6 pounds to lose (5'11" 176 lbs).

I'm not looking to get ripped just good shape. I compliment my workouts with regular walking that I am able to do at work as time permits.

Even after 2 weeks, I can already tell a difference in how I feel. My short-term goal is to increase the # of times I do this per week.

Top Bottom