• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

EasyMode

crossposted in the workout thread too...

Did the P90 Ab Ribber routine last night for the first time. It absolutely wrecked my tailbone/asscrack. Huge red welts and hurts to sit today. Anyone else tried this and experienced this?

I only have experience with Ab Ripper X, but I have experienced pain with my tailbone area during these types of exercises. For me the trick was upgrading from a yoga mat to a padded gym mat. I think mine is 1.5" thick. No more discomfort during or after ARX, except for that silly Mason Twist move at the end (which puts all your weight on that area), so I substitute something else.

Suppose that means I could get up at 6:30 and do it before work... but I know that's never gonna happen :lol

I know exercising in the morning is best, but I am just not anything close to a morning person. I'll probably be doing it first thing on getting home in the evening, An hour and 15ish every day should be doable.

If I may chime in. I workout very slowly because it takes time for me to get the moves right. So for me each workout is really about 1 hour 30 to 45 mins long. It's something to think about. If you are a morning person turn try it. I just can't right now, at least during winter, as my body is too cold and remember you still gotta drink recovery and eat breakfast afterwards

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely definitely not a morning person. I think the extra hour+ of sleep is more valuable than the workout benefits of doing it early :p

But yowza- an hour and forty-five minutes after getting home every night is pretty intense.

ocadman

I was still sore from Day 1 so Day 3 was terrible. I could barely manage to do anything even with very low weights. I was literally unable to do a tricep exercise, it was just not happening. I couldn't even hold myself up for a chair dip.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm getting up at 5AM to do Power90 right now. After P90 I'm doing Insanity, in which some of the workouts are longer (P90 maxes out at about 49:00). I'll probably be bumping the alarm back to 4:45. The Beachbody Energy & Endurance pre-workout drink really helps.

Definitely definitely not a morning person. I think the extra hour+ of sleep is more valuable than the workout benefits of doing it early :p

But yowza- an hour and forty-five minutes after getting home every night is pretty intense.

It goes by quickly. Its a personal thing. I rather take the time and ensure my intensity than just thinking I did it

The Ab Ripper takes time because I simply cannot do 25 in one try, so I break it up

But a point here is that it is about commitment. It really becomes a lifestyle. I have essentially stopped playing video games in the evening because the workout comes first

I'm getting up at 5AM to do Power90 right now. After P90 I'm doing Insanity, in which some of the workouts are longer (P90 maxes out at about 49:00). I'll probably be bumping the alarm back to 4:45. The Beachbody Energy & Endurance pre-workout drink really helps.

I tried working out in the morning while I was doing p90. Hated the cardio 3/4 and the push ups

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
If I'm looking to put on muscle, would I be better off with something like this: http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/serious-mass-p-241.html

..instead of chocolate milk? Always heard about creatine, but I don't know given my situation. Also don't want to jump into anything too fast.

I can't even fathom why taking 1250 calories with 250+ grams of carbs in a single sitting is good for anyone under any circumstances.

If you're looking to bulk a bit I'd buy Monster Milk from Cytosport and mix it with regular milk instead of water. That'd give you 50g of protein + 25g of carbs from the powder alone + creatine + BCAAs + added carbs from the milk.

That'd be a great recovery drink + bulking combo.

You're going to be putting on muscle regardless of whether you use chocolate milk or this thing that I describe above.

Flunkie

Banned
I can't even fathom why taking 1250 calories with 250+ grams of carbs in a single sitting is good for anyone under any circumstances.

If you're looking to bulk a bit I'd buy Monster Milk from Cytosport and mix it with regular milk instead of water. That'd give you 50g of protein + 25g of carbs from the powder alone + creatine + BCAAs + added carbs from the milk.

That'd be a great recovery drink + bulking combo.

You're going to be putting on muscle regardless of whether you use chocolate milk or this thing that I describe above.

Gotcha. Yeah, I've always steered clear of Complete Nutrition and the like, because of the amount of shit they try to cram down your throat, literally.

Edit: Just got some chocolate Monster Milk. It was on sale for $37 at GNC, and while I've read reviews about the poor taste, I like the chocolate Muscle Milk, so I think I'll be fine.

Thanks for your help so far, man. This is all very much appreciated.

I wouldn't drink serious mass in one go (nor could most people), I've got it here and I'll drink one full drink in three parts over the course of a day. They even suggest that you only make up half a portion as it's well over the top.

I sure as hell wouldn't use it if it wasn't for burning thousands of calories from cycling though.

RubxQub

I wouldn't drink serious mass in one go (nor could most people), I've got it here and I'll drink one full drink in three parts over the course of a day. They even suggest that you only make up half a portion as it's well over the top.

I sure as hell wouldn't use it if it wasn't for burning thousands of calories from cycling though.

That was pretty much the only context I could see that serious mass stuff being useful, marathon running or long distance cycling. That many carbs is craaaazy.

Gotcha. Yeah, I've always steered clear of Complete Nutrition and the like, because of the amount of shit they try to cram down your throat, literally.

Edit: Just got some chocolate Monster Milk. It was on sale for $37 at GNC, and while I've read reviews about the poor taste, I like the chocolate Muscle Milk, so I think I'll be fine.

Thanks for your help so far, man. This is all very much appreciated.
I actually really like the taste of the cookies and cream Monster Milk mixed with water, so I'm sure its amazing with milk instead. In general I haven't been let down by Muscle/Monster Milk products by Cytosport. More expensive but they taste better and I trust them. Others may have cheaper alternatives that are just as good, but I tend to stick with products I like and know work.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
You'll want more weight than that. Dumbbells can be expensive, I collected a set overtime so it's wasn't bad for me but all at once can be pricey. Maybe try looking into some resistance bands.

I figured as much. Thanks. Is there a sweet spot I should just go and buy up? Something I can pick up right away and it'll do well enough throughout the program?

Hmm...looks like CytoSport has a decent argument against this report. I win!
That's not a particularly decent argument. It basically argues semantics on whether any of this stuff really is a risk at particular levels or not... which due to the way science seem to work on these things is a bit pointless. For instance, you can still make a fair argument that second hand smoke doesn't actually cause any significant increase in illness (depending on which studies you use).

Seems to me that (at least at that point) they had a problem with their process, or were cheaping out on ingredients because they knew they could get away with it.

Back on topic... I used the bands tonight instead of pullups (I can't do pullups), but it seems to me that I'm using no-where near the weight that I actually would if I was doing pullups. Those of you who can do them, have you ever tried specific weight combinations on the bands to see how it compares? I'd be interested to know if there's any correlation.

FOOTE

Going to start Week 7 in a few hours. Last week was rough due to some serious stress in the house but I managed to get though the workouts (barely). Hopefully this week is better, looking forward to my rest week starting next Saturday.

After my workouts I have a shake (50g protein including milk), but I don't get any carbs that way. Sometimes I'll have a Clif Builder's Bar after a while, or some chocolate milk. What would you suggest I have with my shake to get some carbs?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
After my workouts I have a shake (50g protein including milk), but I don't get any carbs that way. Sometimes I'll have a Clif Builder's Bar after a while, or some chocolate milk. What would you suggest I have with my shake to get some carbs?
After a workout, I usually drink milk with whey protein, and a bit later I'll have either a banana or some Kashi Go Lean cereal (all natural, whole grains, 13g protein in a serving, yadda yadda).

Week one over. :)

I must admit that I called in one of the ab ripper sessions, but my abs were pretty busted from couple of days before.

After a workout, I usually drink milk with whey protein, and a bit later I'll have either a banana or some Kashi Go Lean cereal (all natural, whole grains, 13g protein in a serving, yadda yadda).

Nice, I have some of that Go Lean. Not the most tasty but pretty filling.

Edit: just had a bowl with sliced up banana. Really nice that way.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Since I switched from fat shredder to energy booster, I've been eating brown rice with my post workout shake. The carbs seem to be as important as the protein in order to gain mass.

I figured as much. Thanks. Is there a sweet spot I should just go and buy up? Something I can pick up right away and it'll do well enough throughout the program?

This set off Amazon is really cheap, the only negative is that you'll have to pause the workout and switch the weight as you go. You also might be able to find some cheap weights off Craigslist.

Jos

Nice, good luck. I did one of those for two months last year. I slept like a baby every night.

What are some suggested P90X / Insanity hybrids? Thinking of moving onto that when I finish my first P90X set.

Coming into my second recovery week, but planning on skipping it. Will be travelling for almost 4 weeks at the end of this week and I know its going to make sticking to the schedule incredibly tough. Hoping at least this way, the first week of the trip is my recovery period..

tralfazz

Started Phase 2 of P90X2 this morning and holy shit is it cranked up. Pushup variations with 1-4 med balls and then the Impossible/Possible of 2 med balls with a Yoga ball under the feet. Fuck me, I busted hard trying to get into position and tweaked my knee a bit. Plus a veritable pull up smorgasbord orgasbord orgasbord. Looking forward to Shoulder+Arms as that was always my fav in p90x.

lljride

the X2 abb ripper is harder right?? can anybody describe a few of the moves please??

Not exactly harder, just modified. This is off the top of my head so I hope I get the names right:

Scissor twists - Fifers with a twist, raise your arm to the opposite leg. Almost like a Fifer/Leg Climb combo.

Row your boat - Start in a V with your feet pulled in. Arms and feet go out, then pull them back in.

Superman/Banana X - Same as before, with wide arms and legs.

Oblique roll crunch - Oblique V-Ups, but you roll over to the other side every rep.

Roll V hold- Roll on your back, up into a V, and hold for what seems like forever (5 seconds or so each time)

Abrinome - On your back, legs straight up. Move both legs over to one side (still straight) and hold for a few seconds, then up and over on the other side.

Gate bridge lift - On your back, legs straight out in front. Go up into Abrinome, add a pulse up (optional), then back down in front. From there feet go wide, then repeat.

Scissor Clapper - Like fifers again, but you're sitting up straight. Each time your leg goes up you clap your hands behind the lifted knee. This goes quick since you don't hold each rep.

Phelon twists - Start sitting up straight, legs out in front, arms crossed tightly across your upper body. Lean back as far as you can, then twist off to one side, getting your elbow as low as possible. Hold for a couple of seconds, then off to the other side. This one kills my legs for some reason.

Tornado - Start in abrinome again, but your legs go in a circle like a clock. Butt off the floor from 3-9, on the floor from 9-3. 10 reps in one direction, then repeat the other way.

Balance bike crunch - One leg straight in front, the other leg in. Hold opposite elbow to the raised knee for a second or two, then repeat on the other side.

Might be missing one or two, for some reason I can't find a workout sheet online to verify. Honestly if you can handle ARX you can handle X2AR without any problems.

What are some suggested P90X / Insanity hybrids? Thinking of moving onto that when I finish my first P90X set.

Coming into my second recovery week, but planning on skipping it. Will be travelling for almost 4 weeks at the end of this week and I know its going to make sticking to the schedule incredibly tough. Hoping at least this way, the first week of the trip is my recovery period..

I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll look for the PDFs for you.

Base and back is by far my least favorite workout in X2. The switching back and forth really wears me out.

And that Ryan guy is a dick. He gives the workout a negative vibe.

hxa155

Here's what I'll be doing:

Phase 1:
-Chest & Back, Insane Abs
-Plyometric Cardio Circuit
-Shoulders & Arms, Insane Abs
-Yoga X
-Legs & Back, Insane Abs
-Cardio Power & Resistance
-X Stretch

Phase 2:
-Chest, Shoulders and Triceps, Insane Abs
-Max Interval Plyo
-Back & Biceps, Insane Abs
-Yoga X
-Legs & Back, Insane Abs
-Max Cardio Conditioning
-X Stretch

Recovery Week:
-Yoga X
-Core Synergistics
-Core Cardio & Balance
-X Stretch
-Core Synergistics
-Yoga X
-X Stretch

and Phase 3 is just going back and forth between phase 1 and 2 workouts

I'm still not sure about the schedule, I might change a workout or two. I still have two weeks of P90X so I'm sure I'll finalize it by then.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Good luck! Just did mine today. Quick piece of advice, pause the session for 4 med ball and Impossible/Possible. It will take time getting into position the first time and you will use up the time.

Well I don't have any med balls, so I will have to do the alternate move for that stuff. I plan to get some eventually, just don't have the cash right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I kind of just want to jump in and go for it. I know it's going to kick my ass brutally, and the time commitment feels like a lot for my schedule, but I know it'll be worth it. I think I'll buy the stuff I need to get started today.

Gurus, pleez Halp!
1. Anyone know if this is acceptable? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V5JQ2O/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Seems like such a good deal.
2. I know I won't be able to do unassisted pull-ups for the life of me. Is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KNC1MO/?tag=neogaf0e-20 this the same product as the chin-up max in the OP? Is it worth it?

Related to unassisted pull ups (and chair dips)... I really need to buy a solid chair. The old wooden one I have seems in constant danger of falling to bits.

GCNemesis

Gurus, pleez Halp!
1. Anyone know if this is acceptable? http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain...pr_product_top Seems like such a good deal.
2. I know I won't be able to do unassisted pull-ups for the life of me. Is http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-4-PUR...9751517&sr=1-1 this the same product as the chin-up max in the OP? Is it worth it?

I don't have personal experience with either product but the bands/bar combo has been mentioned in this thread and other fitness threads as a suitable and cost-effective product, and the reviews seem fairly strong. The pullup assist looks similar to, if not the same one, used in X2 and something that I would purchase if I had a setup for pull-ups.

hxa155

I was still sore from Day 1 so Day 3 was terrible. I could barely manage to do anything even with very low weights. I was literally unable to do a tricep exercise, it was just not happening. I couldn't even hold myself up for a chair dip.

No pain no gain :) Just keep pushing play.

RubxQub

I kind of just want to jump in and go for it. I know it's going to kick my ass brutally, and the time commitment feels like a lot for my schedule, but I know it'll be worth it. I think I'll buy the stuff I need to get started today.

Gurus, pleez Halp!
1. Anyone know if this is acceptable? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V5JQ2O/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Seems like such a good deal.
2. I know I won't be able to do unassisted pull-ups for the life of me. Is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KNC1MO/?tag=neogaf0e-20 this the same product as the chin-up max in the OP? Is it worth it?

I can't speak to the quality of those products (bar/bands) that you link, but if seems to have very high reviews and a high number of reviewers so it should probably be safe. Personally I'd recommend the multi-gym pull-up bar since it has the best door frame padding so you don't mess with your doors...but naturally buying that bar and some band separately is going to be more expensive.

I'd say buy that package if it's going to get you started and the price is right, and upgrade later as you get better and stick with it.

That pull-up assist thing is probably a great way to help ease your way into pull-ups. I personally used the bands with a door-mount to work my back instead of pull-ups for awhile until I was able to start doing a good amount of pull-ups. It'd probably get annoying to mount and unmount the bands to use for back exercises and switch to standing exercises constantly, so if you got the bands, the bar and the pull-up assist thing I think you'd have a good system to get moving with this.

My personal recommendation would be a set of bands, a pull-up bar and free-weights up to 50 pounds (30 pounds is probably enough if you're just starting) if you want the ideal setup. Very quick and easy to switch between exercises without fiddling with equipment and very direct control over everything. Very expensive to build up a free-weight collection, though.

Either way...get what gets you started and adjust from there!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Recommendation would be a set of bands, a pull-up bar and free-weights up to 50 pounds (30 pounds is probably enough if you're just starting) if you want the ideal setup. Very quick and easy to switch between exercises without fiddling with equipment and very direct control over everything. Very expensive to build up a free-weight collection, though.

Either way...get what gets you started and adjust from there!
Yeah, I'd love a versatile set of free weights eventually, but like you said it's pricey. The prospect of getting started solid with under $100 worth of equipment is pretty enticing.

edit: Okay... ordered. Assuming everything ships as expected and getting the bar set up isn't too time-consuming or exhausting, looks like Wednesday will by my first P90X day.

I kinda feel the same way about the woman in Recovery and Mobility for some reason. Just seems like she's miserable and doesn't want to be there. Not nearly as bad as the Base and Back douche though.

I need to get around to trying Recovery & Mobility. I really don't have any complaints about anyone else.

The Triceps workout is brutal (again). It's all those fucking pushups. Starting with the slow ones is just cruel. And it's worse by the time the one-handed ones come around, not to mention the clap ones.

I like all the other moves but god damn, those pushups.

Top Bottom