• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

The Triceps workout is brutal (again). It's all those fucking pushups. Starting with the slow ones is just cruel. And it's worse by the time the one-handed ones come around, not to mention the clap ones.

I like all the other moves but god damn, those pushups.

I'm starting phase 2 on Thursday. I'm really trying to overcome the mental blocks on the new workouts

Getting hyped now. I hoped everything makes it here wednesday.

Hype indeed! If I may, be patient, because you will have to do a lot of adjustments on a lot of things, like buying more weights than you expected, or figuring out how to make the diet plan work. Stick with it and let your booty burn!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hype indeed! If I may, be patient, because you will have to do a lot of adjustments on a lot of things, like buying more weights than you expected, or figuring out how to make the diet plan work. Stick with it and let your booty burn!
I'm hoping that as far as just starting out I can get by with just the resistance bands and bar/support, because while I don't think it's ideal I don't have that much extra cash to drop on this despite feeling like it's a worthwhile investment in myself. Still, I'm sure it will be an ongoing process.

One question I would ask is how hard to push yourself at first. I read through the OP and "do your best, forget the rest" is a very handy philosophy to keep in mind, but as far as just starting out I was wondering how much outside your comfort zone you want to keep pushing before "forgetting the rest." I imagine you start building stamina up after every week, of course.

Great now something more to look forward to. Are you liking your progress?

Absolutely, I've lost about 7 lbs and definitely am gaining muscle. I'm noticing some sculpting in my shoulders/arms and legs, and I have way, way more energy than I did before starting.

I feel great and I'm finding the general nutrition requirements really easy to follow.

I'm looking forward to finishing this round and going to P90X2 after.

I'm hoping that as far as just starting out I can get by with just the resistance bands and bar/support, because while I don't think it's ideal I don't have that much extra cash to drop on this despite feeling like it's a worthwhile investment in myself. Still, I'm sure it will be an ongoing process.

One question I would ask is how hard to push yourself at first. I read through the OP and "do your best, forget the rest" is a very handy philosophy to keep in mind, but as far as just starting out I was wondering how much outside your comfort zone you want to keep pushing before "forgetting the rest." I imagine you start building stamina up after every week, of course.
The band is very good. Can't go wrong with it. I only started using weights because I used bands exclusively while doing p90 and wanted something different

As to your question, this is my take. Take it slow, learn the moves, and take it easy. It's really true to do your best and forget the rest, because there's no point of beating yourself up (because you will hehe) and the important thing is its a 90 day journey, you will grow and change

It really depends on how fit you are. When I first started my thighs and ass got burned the most. A lot of workouts in p90x use your lower strength, even if the title doesnt say so. So Expect a lot of squats. Like a lot.

be careful and take it easy. It's important to just do it, learn your body, rather than be a hero and hurt yourself. It becomes real important for you to know yourself and gauge when you can push it and when you can't. Like I can't do pull ups, so that's one of the areas im more lenient on for now. Or when I legs and thighs hurt, I take my time to do the stretching and warming up.

Again, remember you gotta come back the next day, the day after that, and after. And everything is at least an hour, and the weights workouts all have Ab ripper x with it.

If you have the money and iOS, it's heavily recommended to buy the app. It is very helpful to track your sets, your diet, and which day you are doing what

And if you can find a cheaper alternative, get a plyo mat. It can be used as a yoga mat as well. Real comfortable.

Last thing. Yes you will build stamina. Make sure you eat and sleep well. I try not to stay up now because of the diet and workout

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
I'm starting Phase 3 of P90X2 tomorrow. P.A.P. Upper @ 6am, pretty scarred but excited at the same time.

Anyone else get there yet? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I've been doing P90X/Plus/One-on-Ones/Insanity/Asylum for about 2.5 years now and loving it.

So far, P90X2 has been a bit disappointing. Phase I in particular; the emphasis on core has been a bit overkill imho. Phase 2 has been a big improvement though and I'm looking forward to Phase 3. Hoping I get sore more often after the workouts (like P90X and Insanity did the first time around).

Does anyone else find Plyocide lacking? I've gone back to using regular Plyometrics and Insanity as I get a much better burn and workout that way.

X2 Yoga is awesome and I love that it's shorter.

You can do it!

What's your plan to get back on track?
Not a lot right now given I've just had 4 hours of sleep before working all night and all tomorrow again. After my 4 hours of sleep tomorrow I should be able to work out though.

So short answer, my plan to get back on track would be finishing this damn work. :(

Not a lot right now given I've just had 4 hours of sleep before working all night and all tomorrow again. After my 4 hours of sleep tomorrow I should be able to work out though.

So short answer, my plan to get back on track would be finishing this damn work. :(

I had to miss a day and just used that as my "rest day" for the week. If you can maybe just do that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The band is very good. Can't go wrong with it. I only started using weights because I used bands exclusively while doing p90 and wanted something different

As to your question, this is my take. Take it slow, learn the moves, and take it easy. It's really true to do your best and forget the rest, because there's no point of beating yourself up (because you will hehe) and the important thing is its a 90 day journey, you will grow and change

It really depends on how fit you are. When I first started my thighs and ass got burned the most. A lot of workouts in p90x use your lower strength, even if the title doesnt say so. So Expect a lot of squats. Like a lot.

be careful and take it easy. It's important to just do it, learn your body, rather than be a hero and hurt yourself. It becomes real important for you to know yourself and gauge when you can push it and when you can't. Like I can't do pull ups, so that's one of the areas im more lenient on for now. Or when I legs and thighs hurt, I take my time to do the stretching and warming up.

Again, remember you gotta come back the next day, the day after that, and after. And everything is at least an hour, and the weights workouts all have Ab ripper x with it.

If you have the money and iOS, it's heavily recommended to buy the app. It is very helpful to track your sets, your diet, and which day you are doing what

And if you can find a cheaper alternative, get a plyo mat. It can be used as a yoga mat as well. Real comfortable.

Last thing. Yes you will build stamina. Make sure you eat and sleep well. I try not to stay up now because of the diet and workout
Thank you for this response, will read multiple times :D

Flunkie

Banned
Bought a pullup bar the other day (was just simulating them with bands), but I put it together and it was too little for my door. -_- Apparently all the doors of my apartment complex are 36", so I'll need something more than that, awesome. None of the places I've gone to have that.

Also fuck yoga. I can't get through 10 minutes, as my arms are usually weak from the previous days of workout plus it's super boring. Gonna do core synergistics on that day methinks.

Bought a pullup bar the other day (was just simulating them with bands), but I put it together and it was too little for my door. -_- Apparently all the doors of my apartment complex are 36", so I'll need something more than that, awesome. None of the places I've gone to have that.

Also fuck yoga. I can't get through 10 minutes, as my arms are usually weak from the previous days of workout plus it's super boring. Gonna do core synergistics on that day methinks.

Try Amazon. My door is 36" and this is the one I got. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LN9XJI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh man. Day 1 of Phase 2 of X2 brings me back to X1. 10 pushup variations and 10 pullup variations and that's it. I think my arms may fall off, even without med balls.

Nice, thanks for sharing. How did you find it compared to regular P90x?

It was exhausting. Like I said earlier, I was getting the best sleep of my life. Not sure if I would do it again. During some workouts I found myself not accomplishing everything, where I was when doing just the one program.

Just finished doing Core Synergistic as the first recovery week is coming to an end. It is really a nice change of pace and I really like the focus of building core strength so we can work out better, be more efficient in using our strength. I cannot for the life of mine do hip raise though. I can't raise my hip high enough, when I come down my legs always hit the ground, and this exercise really hurts my feet once I get in the air because I workout without shoes. My regular shoes are dirty as hell so I am not going to wear them inside.

I really like the Dreya Roll and enjoyed the mind fuck that is the Sphinx push ups

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Just finished doing Core Synergistic as the first recovery week is coming to an end. It is really a nice change of pace and I really like the focus of building core strength so we can work out better, be more efficient in using our strength. I cannot for the life of mine do hip raise though. I can't raise my hip high enough, when I come down my legs always hit the ground, and this exercise really hurts my feet once I get in the air because I workout without shoes. My regular shoes are dirty as hell so I am not going to wear them inside.

I really like the Dreya Roll and enjoyed the mind fuck that is the Sphinx push ups

Sphinx push ups blew my MIND the first time I did them. I was doing them wrong for about 10 reps when I realized "Oh... shit... my body needs to be straighter." Damn, did that wear me out.

Core Synergistics feels so good and it wears me out more than any other exercise routine in the P90 series of programs, Plyo-anything included. Damn.

Sphinx push ups blew my MIND the first time I did them. I was doing them wrong for about 10 reps when I realized "Oh... shit... my body needs to be straighter." Damn, did that wear me out.

Core Synergistics feels so good and it wears me out more than any other exercise routine in the P90 series of programs, Plyo-anything included. Damn.

Really? Fuck I hope I am not doing it wrong. Core feels to me is like a nice alternative from all the intensive weight training we've been doing. It's still intense, but it's different. Lifting weights and going up and down on the pull up bar really tires me out lol

And the Sphinx yeah I think I did three at most and like 4 more on my knees lol

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I skipped through this thread a bit and didn't see any, but have any of you posted before and after pictures?

Here are Day 1 and Day 50 pictures from me: Progress

Really? Fuck I hope I am not doing it wrong. Core feels to me is like a nice alternative from all the intensive weight training we've been doing. It's still intense, but it's different. Lifting weights and going up and down on the pull up bar really tires me out lol

And the Sphinx yeah I think I did three at most and like 4 more on my knees lol

It might be because I do a LOT of reps for each work out. I try to do two sets instead of just "do as many as you can." If he says go to 24, I try to do 48. I'm crazy and probably an idiot for doing that, but I feel GREAT when I finally collapse onto my couch and curl up into the fetal position for the rest of the day.

Here are Day 1 and Day 50 pictures from me: Progress

It might be because I do a LOT of reps for each work out. I try to do two sets instead of just "do as many as you can." If he says go to 24, I try to do 48. I'm crazy and probably an idiot for doing that, but I feel GREAT when I finally collapse onto my couch and curl up into the fetal position for the rest of the day.

You fucker, I love you

But that makes sense. Right now my goal is just to do as much as I can within the time limit, even if I have to take a break and catch my breath

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like my pull-up assist thing is gonna get here today even though the real stuff I need won't get here til tomorrow, haha.

Maybe I'll take it to the park and throw it on the chin-up bars there just to see how it works.

Jibbed

I've tried P90X maybe 3 times now.. furthest I got was about 12 days in before I caved. I guess it's more psychological than anything.

Any tips for a (mostly) broke, skinny-ass* student? I have the money to get plenty of fresh meat and veg every week, so theoretically my diet's all right. The issue is just getting myself in the mindset to do a workout.. I find it incredibly hard during the day, and then at night it seems pointless.

*I've always been on the skinny side (75kg/6ft), and I'd just like to bulk up/tone my muscles a bit. Lacking any form of definition right now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've tried P90X maybe 3 times now.. furthest I got was about 12 days in before I caved. I guess it's more psychological than anything.

Any tips for a (mostly) broke, skinny-ass* student? I have the money to get plenty of fresh meat and veg every week, so theoretically my diet's all right. The issue is just getting myself in the mindset to do a workout.. I find it incredibly hard during the day, and then at night it seems pointless.

*I've always been on the skinny side (75kg/6ft), and I'd just like to bulk up/tone my muscles a bit. Lacking any form of definition right now.

Just do it. :p

Make a schedule for yourself. It's much easier to do if you know when you will workout each day. For me I workout right after work every day, so I know as soon as I get in my door I change and start the tape. That way you don't sit down and get lazy.

It is a commitment, 6 days a week (or 5 for X2) is tricky to keep yourself going. Saturday is always the hardest day for me since I hate doing much on weekends. You just have to make yourself do it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I guess the idea would be, if you can get into a routine doing it around the same time every day, it'll be the opposite of pointless- you'll be improving yourself constantly, no matter what. Since you're not trying to lose weight you'll probably have a lot of flexibility in terms of diet as well and can take advantage of protein supplements and the like.

I'd say one way to motivate yourself might be to subscribe and check into this thread every day. I know I'm going to be despairing and probably want to quit or take a break a few times once I get started, and I'm counting on the people in here to push me to keep going!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Sign up on teambeachbody.com. Look on the message boards for a group that is starting the program soon or has recently started. Join that group. Having a like-minded group of individuals to encourage you, plus the accountability of daily exercise reports are a huge motivational help.

You'll also get a coach whom you can talk with for tips, motivation, etc.

And it's all free.

Also, if you're having a hard time with P90X, maybe you should start with Power90 instead. It gets pretty intense, but it builds up more slowly than P90X. Power90 is for weight loss & getting into shape; P90X assumes you're already in pretty good shape.

I'm thinking of perhaps changing the p90x yoga over to the p90x2 yoga. Is there any equipment needed for the change? I can't stand how long the p90x yoga video is...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm thinking of perhaps changing the p90x yoga over to the p90x2 yoga. Is there any equipment needed for the change? I can't stand how long the p90x yoga video is...
Without having even done it once yet I was thinking the same thing. An hour and a half of yoga........

awesome. going to borrow a friend's copy of the yoga vid to give it a shot. Is it more intense? And does it include the ab exercises at the end, like the p90x version does?

It's not as intense IMO. Still plenty of hard moves though. There are still ab excersies at the end. I sure as hell like it more Yoga X. I'll probably put it into P90x when I do that again as well.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
uh oh.....
I'd add that Fitocracy might be a good companion site to doing P90X, because you'll get to log the workouts every day and be "rewarded" for them. You'll get mad XP for the stuff P90X makes you do, I'm certain :lol

That's true, but they don't have all the exercises in there, so you need to "map" the P90X versions to what Fitocracy has. Once you do that & set up routines it's easier but I haven't bothered myself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's true, but they don't have all the exercises in there, so you need to "map" the P90X versions to what Fitocracy has. Once you do that & set up routines it's easier but I haven't bothered myself.
True; any chance anybody in GAF set these up as routines that could be copied?

h3ro

I'm don't like recovery week. Felt so weird not cursing out Tony during Pfieffer's scissors yesterday.

What do you guys think of doing some weight lifting during recovery week? I've given the Phase 3 schedule a look and would be able to give the specific areas enough time to recover prior to starting the next block.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm don't like recovery week. Felt so weird not cursing out Tony during Pfieffer's scissors yesterday.

What do you guys think of doing some weight lifting during recovery week? I've given the Phase 3 schedule a look and would be able to give the specific areas enough time to recover prior to starting the next block.

I found that recovery week was usually just what the doctor ordered to fully heal my body and start the next phase strong. I filled recovery week with a lot of real world cardio stuff instead and then prepped for the pump again on Monday.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I sat around all recovery week. Yeah, I could have done something, but it was great to be able to rest everything. My first night back last night I had so much more stamina.

lljride

It's hard for me to stay motivated during a full recovery week, so I started cutting it short this round. I've been doing a quick 3 day recovery week, usually rest/yoga/rest, then pick it back up again. I found that's about all I need, any more than that and it's hard for me to get back into the routine.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
re: length of P90X Yoga X

90 minutes is fraking long so what I ended up doing after the first round was turning it into 60 minutes. Do the first 50 minutes of Yoga through Warrior 3, then skip right to some of the hamstring stretches followed by Yoga Belly Seven. In and out in an hour and you still get 90% of the muscle building/stretching moves. You end up loosing the balance portion but I figured that was better than just skipping it altogether.

Another option is Tony's One-on-One disc - Fountain of Youth. It's 40 minutes of Yoga and goes by really quickly. The workout isn't as good but on days when you just can't afford 60 - 90 minutes, it's a good compromise. Especially during recovery week.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
It's hard for me to stay motivated during a full recovery week, so I started cutting it short this round. I've been doing a quick 3 day recovery week, usually rest/yoga/rest, then pick it back up again. I found that's about all I need, any more than that and it's hard for me to get back into the routine.

In the P90X2 guide they suggest making it as short or long as you feel you need. I too usually felt a week was excessive and shortened it to 3-4 days sometimes. I also found it a bit boring (although I love Core Synergistics).

My recovery week now looks like this (with some Insanity discs added in):

(P90X) Core Synergistics
(INS) Core Cardio & Balance, ARX
Yoga X / Fountain of Youth
Rest
(P90+) Kenpo Cardio Plus, ARX
(INS) Max Recovery
Yoga X / Fountain of Youth
Rest

Top Bottom