• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

I've been having troubles finding the motivation to do my workouts recently. After finishing a round of P90X and another one of X2, I tried going back to P90X and started a new round two weeks ago. But I've been missing half the workouts, procrastinating for hours instead. My plan was to try and catch up during the weekend but I ended up going out all night with friends (and playing games too). I started thinking that maybe I need a little break. I'm thinking on keeping at least 3 workouts a week: Plyo, yoga, and a resistance workout (rotate every week from chest and back to shoulders and arms etc..). I hope this will be enough to maintain a good fitness level, while allowing me to spend more times on other things (like salsa dancing!)

Gotta do what works for you! I imagine you will find your intensity and motivation will return at some point, because for most people I'd say that comes and goes in waves. Try to keep the focus on diet at least, since I imagine working out three or four days a week with a clean diet is more than enough to stay healthy. Either way, we'll be here to help as you well know.

Good discussion on healthy eating this morning (I was eating an apple reading it earlier... and am now eating raw snow peas). I went out to eat with co-workers today, they picked Five Guys, and I sat there watching all of them eat delicious burgers, hot dogs, and fries which were offered up. And I bought my diet soda, and sat there without having even the smallest of fries (which everyone knows are the most delicious). That was the hardest part of my "no cheating" challenge so far, by a lot.

LaneDS

You're missing out.

I'll probably be having some Saturday when I'm in Dallas.

Don't tell Tony.

Your secret is safe with us.

Steve, perhaps next time. I had eaten my healthy stuff beforehand, so at least I had that to counter. 'Cept it would be super overpriced (at least I can refill my diet soda endlessly, for value!).

LaneDS

How important are the Insanity recover workouts? Should I do it, skip it, or do the P90X2 recovery and mobility workout instead?

Jzero

What inexpensive but good quality protein shakes do you guys recommend? i barely noticed mine is 16 grams per scoop -_-

Apologies if this has been answered before, but as someone that has completed P90 several times before, what is the difficulty ramp on P90X? Is this a progressive workout from P90 or will this workout be like starting from scratch again? (i.e. extremely difficult)

Thanks in advance

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Does Base & Back ever get easy? If I don't take extended breaks between some of the plyo I still get winded, gasp for air as if I were doing P90X the first time.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Does Base & Back ever get easy? If I don't take extended breaks between some of the plyo I still get winded, gasp for air as if I were doing P90X the first time.

No P90X workout ever gets easy, because as soon as it starts to get less challenging than before, you push yourself even harder, making it even more difficult as it goes on.

Apologies if this has been answered before, but as someone that has completed P90 several times before, what is the difficulty ramp on P90X? Is this a progressive workout from P90 or will this workout be like starting from scratch again? (i.e. extremely difficult)

Thanks in advance

It's a significant jump (I completed P90 as well before completing P90X), but it will be more progressive because the P90 will have given you the foundation. However, P90X is simply big and better on every single level, with so many different moves and different workouts

If you have completed P90 several times and feel very comfortable, then P90X is the next logical step. It will take time to get into it, but you can do it

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Well, that's Asylum Volume 1 done. Marginal improvements in the fit test, though as when I finished Insanity I'm not feeling 100% the past few days. My weight is roughly the same, measurements roughly the same, body fat percentage up a bit. I think I've let too many carbs creep back in to my diet.

So, what did I get out of it? I feel a bit more agile, and I think my core & back are stronger. I think my flexibility has improved a bit, as well as my endurance. This was a fun but very challenging program, very different from Insanity. 30 days is a good length for it, though it seemed to need a couple more routines thrown in towards the end -- the last week after your final Game Day felt like padding, somehow.

Asylum is definitely something you want to do multiple times. Many of the moves require a lot of skill that can only come from more practice that the program provides. I know I have a long way to go before I can do all of the moves with proper form and intensity for the entire allotted times.

But not back to back. This is a workout you need to recover from. I think it's best as an interstitial program to do between more strength-oriented workouts like P90X or Body Beast. Since P90X2 finishes up with PAP, which seems similar to Asylum, I'm not sure I'd recommend going right into Asylum after X2. But I'll know better in January after I finish X2.

Asylum comes with a schedule for a hybrid program with P90X that looks really good.

Asylum also has the best back workout I've seen so far.

So now it's on to P90X2, starting tomorrow morning!

mehdi_san

So in a (futile) attempt to stay motivated, I thought maybe I'll buy myself a new pair of shoes. I remember hearing Tony in the PAP lower video saying that we shouldn't use running shoes to do that workout, but that's what I've been using since I started P90X. What do you guys recommend instead?

So now it's on to P90X2, starting tomorrow morning!
Good luck with X2, I'm sure you gonna love it :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So in a (futile) attempt to stay motivated, I thought maybe I'll buy myself a new pair of shoes. I remember hearing Tony in the PAP lower video saying that we shouldn't use running shoes to do that workout, but that's what I've been using since I started P90X. What do you guys recommend instead?

I used Nike Free Runners for Insanity and while they cushioned well for plyometric work, they had almost no lateral support.

So for Asylum I bought Reebok Crossfit Nano 2.0s which are much much better. My one minor complaint would be that I wish it had more toe protection for moves like plank in&outs or plank mountain climbers. But they are comfortable, light, and have great lateral support.

mehdi_san said:
Good luck with X2, I'm sure you gonna love it :)

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it :)

antti-la

Don't know why, but I'm very tempted to start doing Body Beast after this round of P90X. Even though looking through the trailers and commercials, I felt some shame and that Sagi Kalev guy really seemed kinda douche. Maybe I'm just getting too old for that kind of marketing and punchlines.

Also I think it gets pretty crazy to pack bench, ez-bar, lots of weight plates and even more dumbbells in to this small apartment. I guess it would be easier to just get that gym membership... but I kinda, don't want to do that either.

I mean there's still a ton of what to accomplish for me with P90X but somehow I feel there could be better programs to reach my goals. Also everyone who lifts at the gym keeps saying

"You're already kinda thin and you're never going to build visual or aesthetical muscles doing that P90X, you know that right?"

But would body beast make any sense doing with stability ball, pair of dumbbells and pull up bar? More than P90X resistance days maybe? no?

Don't know why, but I'm very tempted to start doing Body Beast after this round of P90X. Even though looking through the trailers and commercials, I felt some shame and that Sagi Kalev guy really seemed kinda douche. Maybe I'm just getting too old for that kind of marketing and punchlines.

Also I think it gets pretty crazy to pack bench, ez-bar, lots of weight plates and even more dumbbells in to this small apartment. I guess it would be easier to just get that gym membership... but I kinda, don't want to do that either.

I mean there's still a ton of what to accomplish for me with P90X but somehow I feel there could be better programs to reach my goals. Also everyone who lifts at the gym keeps saying

"You're already kinda thin and you're never going to build visual or aesthetical muscles doing that P90X, you know that right?"

But would body beast make any sense doing with stability ball, pair of dumbbells and pull up bar? More than P90X resistance days maybe? no?

I'm a few weeks in with Body Beast and I really like it. I'm using a stability ball and I would say that it's actually harder with it than it would be with a bench. Makes you use your a core more. Reminds me of X2 a bit. Sagi and the crew aren't terrible but they're no Tony/Shaun T. The guy tries really hard to be charismatic and it just doesn't come through. At the end of the day that doesn't really matter to me. Just as long as its a good workout.

If you're looking to put on some size this would be the program to do. P90X doesn't offer what Body Beast does for chest and shoulders. It made me realize how weak my shoulders actually are. Definitely consider it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

mehdi_san

I used Nike Free Runners for Insanity and while they cushioned well for plyometric work, they had almost no lateral support.

So for Asylum I bought Reebok Crossfit Nano 2.0s which are much much better. My one minor complaint would be that I wish it had more toe protection for moves like plank in&outs or plank mountain climbers. But they are comfortable, light, and have great lateral support.
Thanks, ill go check the Reebok ones at the mall this weekend

antti-la

I'm a few weeks in with Body Beast and I really like it. I'm using a stability ball and I would say that it's actually harder with it than it would be with a bench. Makes you use your a core more. Reminds me of X2 a bit. Sagi and the crew aren't terrible but they're no Tony/Shaun T. The guy tries really hard to be charismatic and it just doesn't come through. At the end of the day that doesn't really matter to me. Just as long as its a good workout.

If you're looking to put on some size this would be the program to do. P90X doesn't offer what Body Beast does for chest and shoulders. It made me realize how weak my shoulders actually are. Definitely consider it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the response mate, sounds great. I'll definitely at least give it a try when I'm done with current round.

Also meant to post my current progress photo earlier. Watching mirror through the weeks I was hoping for more dramatic changes. Well, I guess it's supposed to be a long journey.

Please don't mock me, I'm not perfect.

I actually weight exactly the same as when started this round.

Thanks for the response mate, sounds great. I'll definitely at least give it a try when I'm done with current round.

Also meant to post my current progress photo earlier. Watching mirror through the weeks I was hoping for more dramatic changes. Well, I guess it's supposed to be a long journey.

Please don't mock me, I'm not perfect.

I actually weight exactly the same as when started this round.

Great results! You can really see the difference in your waist. Keep it up.

You're a great example for people who get dissapointed when the scale doesn't move much. Don't let that distract you people.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I never really posted before and after for X2/Insanity. Here are a few photos. I am 3 weeks into an X1/X2 hybrid now, so trying to lose a bit more.

Before: (I had to buy this suit for a wedding, I doubt it fits. There goes even more money! :p )

263787_10100127593109350_16902423_47113080_2343940_n.jpg

After (yesterday):

Still got some to go, but I feel a whole lot better at 200 pounds than I did at 235.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Fantastic results, Deadly Cyclone and antti-la!

I know I've been remiss in sharing photos, but I decided back in January that I was only going to post before & after pics after I finished my year-long project. So once I finish P90X2 some time in mid-January of next year I'll put up some photos.

antti-la

Deadly Cyclone - That's just awesome. You know you've come a far way if you can see a huge difference even with the clothes on.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks all! It hasn't been easy. :p

Nice work DC. You wear 200lbs very well. From that pic I would think you'd be under 200.

Thanks. It's a gift and a curse really. I have my grandpa's body type, which is a big bigger so I seem to pull off more weight easier with clothes, but have a tire that will seemingly never go away. :p

deadlast

Tomorrow I'm going to the Gym to do chest and back instead of doing p90x chest and back. Hopefully I can get a good enough workout in.

KtSlime

So I have 6 days of p90 left, and am planning on moving into p90x, but I have a couple of questions. I read the OP, but I'm afraid I don't have enough time to read the entire thread to see if these have been answered.

I am currently using dumbbells, how necessary are resistance bands? Are there exercises that specifically require them? Is there a way to calculate the approximate "weight" created due to their tension? Would my relatively short stature cause any problems in getting enough resistance?

I've read that I should have a heart rate monitor, is this really needed? If so, are there any cool bluetooth ones that are like an Up, or Fuel - I was hoping to get something like them eventually, but have been discouraged by the fact that they don't measure heart rate, so have not made the purchase.

How important are supplements? I already take a pretty complete multi-vitamin, but should I add a protein powder? I currently eat eggs, cottage cheese, nutritional yeast, beans and rice daily, would it still be of benefit?

Thanks! I look forward to this change, the monotony of p90 is starting to wear thin, and am glad to be moving onto something different and more challenging.

I am currently using dumbbells, how necessary are resistance bands? Are there exercises that specifically require them? Is there a way to calculate the approximate "weight" created due to their tension? Would my relatively short stature cause any problems in getting enough resistance?

How important are supplements? I already take a pretty complete multi-vitamin, but should I add a protein powder? I currently eat eggs, cottage cheese, nutritional yeast, beans and rice daily, would it still be of benefit?

Thanks! I look forward to this change, the monotony of p90 is starting to wear thin, and am glad to be moving onto something different and more challenging.

About resistance bands in every P90X workout they feature both workouts with bands and workout with weights so you can choose, and they show how to modify their resistance by looping in the band so resistance is not based on the persons height.
About supplements i'd say protein shake is needed to help with muscle tissue rebuilding as soon as your workout is done, the multivitamin is not bad either!

First off, Deadly Cyclone, you look great, keep up the work man! Your dedication is showing!

Second off......guys?

I've done it. Yesterday was my final exercise in p90x...I have completed the program!

I started p90x because of you guys. I had injured my shoulder a few months back, so badly I couldn't move my arm for a long time. I lost all my strength and gained a lot of weight. Felt like shit all the time, lethargic and weak.

I saw this thread and some results you guys posted and figured fuck it..let me give it a shot. Got myself the program, stuck to the diet pretty tightly, and busted my ass. Originally I wanted to do it, take a week off, maybe do it again...

But not anymore. I couldn't go a week and let myself go to ruin again. I'm hooked, and have worked out a plan for the next few months.

You can consider my 'After p90x pics' to be my 'before Insanity pics', as I'm starting Insanity tomorrow. (Got it all ready to go!) After Insanity, I plan to do p90x+.

After finishing that, I'll have a specialized training plan in place to prepare for a Spartan Race I will complete on June 1st.

I used to work out in high school and really let life get to me and bring me down. p90x and this thread has gotten me to change my life again.

Thanks, guys.

trial1.jpg

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Shit man, those are great results. Good luck with Insanity!

(Also, you should consider moving to P90X2 in the future. My favorite workout routine.)

IrishNinja

okay, so i got a one month groupon for crossfit, then im gonna give this a go (right around the holidays!). ive done insanity a while back, ive got a pull-up bar and resistance bands....lookin at the OP, do i need weights too? can i substitute things for yoga blocks, etc? how essential are push-up bars or whatever when i can just do them inclined or regular off the ground?

antti-la

Culebra, just wow! and nice carpet too.

IrishNinja basically you can do it with resistance bands only, but in almost every exercise dumbbells are actually preferred. I Haven't bought yoga blocks or push-ups bars and have been just fine even without.

FOOTE

First off, Deadly Cyclone, you look great, keep up the work man! Your dedication is showing!

Second off......guys?

I've done it. Yesterday was my final exercise in p90x...I have completed the program!

I started p90x because of you guys. I had injured my shoulder a few months back, so badly I couldn't move my arm for a long time. I lost all my strength and gained a lot of weight. Felt like shit all the time, lethargic and weak.

I saw this thread and some results you guys posted and figured fuck it..let me give it a shot. Got myself the program, stuck to the diet pretty tightly, and busted my ass. Originally I wanted to do it, take a week off, maybe do it again...

But not anymore. I couldn't go a week and let myself go to ruin again. I'm hooked, and have worked out a plan for the next few months.

You can consider my 'After p90x pics' to be my 'before Insanity pics', as I'm starting Insanity tomorrow. (Got it all ready to go!) After Insanity, I plan to do p90x+.

After finishing that, I'll have a specialized training plan in place to prepare for a Spartan Race I will complete on June 1st.

I used to work out in high school and really let life get to me and bring me down. p90x and this thread has gotten me to change my life again.

Thanks, guys.

[IM]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/PldCulebra/Me/trial1.jpg[/IMG]
Great stuff man.

I'm starting phase three of X2 today. I had a long night (daaaa Cardinals) so I didn't get up super early to do my workout like I usually try to do. Going for four weeks which will bring me up to 91 days.

Also going for 100% absolute clean eating this phase. I eat very clean already, but I let myself have a little too much everyday. It's crunch time now and it's time to really bring it hard for four weeks.

FOOTE

okay, so i got a one month groupon for crossfit, then im gonna give this a go (right around the holidays!). ive done insanity a while back, ive got a pull-up bar and resistance bands....lookin at the OP, do i need weights too? can i substitute things for yoga blocks, etc? how essential are push-up bars or whatever when i can just do them inclined or regular off the ground?

You can use resistance bands. Weights are not necessary as long as you understand how to use the bands. Get some eye protection if you use bands. There's been a few guys in here who have had them snap. I don't know what the circumstances were though.

If can use a phone book as a substitute for the yoga block. Or you can use your finger tips.

Push up bars are not necessary. They give more range of motion, but you're fine if you're cool with the range you get without bars

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
P90X2 day 1: X2 Core complete! A mix of easy, challenging, and ridiculous moves here. Had a hard time with the plank burpees on stability ball (slippery with sweat) and the one leg burpees with med ball. I also couldn't stand up on the Dreya rolls with med ball without an assist.

Asylum was great prep for this.

Oh and awesome results, Culebra!!

LaneDS

Lots of good progress and discussion in here the last few days! My attempt to add to the pile is that I finished a real week 1 of Insanity, and worked out each of the last six days. On day 19 of the no cheat challenge, even met someone for lunch and escorted her to get frozen yogurt afterwards where I just skipped it entirely, which wasn't as difficult as I imagine it would have been 18 or so days ago. Hoping tomorrow's weigh-in is a good one.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Plyocide complete. The meat of the workout reminded me of Asylum's Vertical Plyo in some ways, with the addition of a lot more down time and med ball work. The challenging parts for me were the balance moves. I ended up doing 20 pushups after the first set and 12 after the second. Overall I'd say this one's -slightly- easier than Vertical Plyo, if only because there are more breaks. Still a great workout.

Thanks guys!

Just started Insanity today, did the fit test. It got my heart rate up and whatnot, but DAMN did it feel over fast. I also did pretty well for a first shot, I'm almost worried that Insanity is gonna be cake :/

LaneDS

Thanks guys!

Just started Insanity today, did the fit test. It got my heart rate up and whatnot, but DAMN did it feel over fast. I also did pretty well for a first shot, I'm almost worried that Insanity is gonna be cake :/

Pop in MAX Interval Circuit and see if you can dominate that one! Fit test is the shortest of all the workouts, and some later days apparently have the fit test followed by something else (possibly MAX Interval Circuit, actually)... so if you think is easy, you're actually Wolverine as many of us have suspected (which is awesome).

In other news, I just had a cup of Fage Greek yogurt and a scoop of strawberry Syntha 6 and didn't hate it, which is a big improvement from every other time I've had Greek yogurt and totally hated it. Going to have to try it with chocolate peanut butter (which I wanted, but effed up and ordered strawberry somehow... which thankfully is pretty tasty).

Top Bottom