• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

That's true, but they don't have all the exercises in there, so you need to "map" the P90X versions to what Fitocracy has. Once you do that & set up routines it's easier but I haven't bothered myself.
I've stopped logging my routines to fitocracy since I started P90X. It's just way too much hassle. Would take half as long as the actual routines to get everything written in there.

I really wish they'd just put in a generic P90X set of routines that you can choose (and get fewer points for than if you logged them individually).

h3ro

The shortened Recovery week sounds like a great idea. Fri/Sat/Sun doing a mix of X-Stretch, Yoga and Core Syn should be good to go.

I'm gonna do some old school weight lifting. I feel like I'm wasting time doing just Core Syn followed by Yoga while being a week away from my next heavy lifting workout. I was getting restless yesterday and X-stretch definitely wasn't enough for me.

What is CardioX like? I'd like to do that after lifting today but I'm not familiar with routine. Not home right now to skip through the DVD.

"you think I'm gonna say 11, don't you?"

Fuck you Tony

Word. Still gets me hyped when he does his Wolverine-inspired "AB RIPPER EXXXXXXX" while walking/strutting back to his mat.

Anyone else strongly dislike the woman in Back/Biceps that picks Corncob pullups as her extra set? I'm sure the directors told her what to say/do but still. At that point in the work out, I yelled "COME ONNN, are you serious?" at her. lol

Word. Still gets me hyped when he does his Wolverine-inspired "AB RIPPER EXXXXXXX" while walking/strutting back to his mat.

Anyone else strongly dislike the woman in Back/Biceps that picks Corncob pullups as her extra set? I'm sure the directors told her what to say/do but still. At that point in the work out, I yelled "COME ONNN, are you serious?" at her. lol
I like that part too because I see in the background, all three very fit people, moaning and dying on the floor

Hey I'm dead on the floor too! Lol

lljride

What is CardioX like? I'd like to do that after lifting today but I'm not familiar with routine. Not home right now to skip through the DVD.

Cardio X is ~40 minutes, equal parts Yoga/Plyo/Kenpo/Core Syn (all moves you've already seen on those discs). It's not nearly as intense as a full Plyo workout or anything, but it's not bad. I used it to replace both Plyometrics (because my disc didn't work) and Kenpo (because it was lame) when I went through P90X.

Cardio X is ~40 minutes, equal parts Yoga/Plyo/Kenpo/Core Syn (all moves you've already seen on those discs). It's not nearly as intense as a full Plyo workout or anything, but it's not bad. I used it to replace both Plyometrics (because my disc didn't work) and Kenpo (because it was lame) when I went through P90X.

Why you no like Kenpo? :(

lljride

Why you no like Kenpo? :(

I guess I just felt too goofy to get anything out of it. It's like you have to put more effort into that routine than any other to get a halfway decent workout, and I couldn't muster up that kind of excitement for it at all.

10 minutes in Cardio X is about my tolerance level for punches/kicks.

@Hawkian: Give it a shot, you might like it, some people do. Just don't be afraid to swap it out for something else (even another vid from P90X) if you don't.

Thanks for all the responses on Kenpo X. I like it since it focuses on different parts of the body and balancing at the same time. And I use it as a mental conditioning like yoga too

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yup, the pull-up assist thing arrived today... before my pull-up bar :lol The set comes tomorrow.

Since I have no real idea how this thing works I think I'll take it home and go to the park nearby and hook it onto that and see if I can get a feel for it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I liked Kenpo X a lot. It burns calories and is a decently fun workout to do. It was great for Day 6 which falls on a Saturday for me. Not as crazy as the weekday workouts.

I miss it in P90X2. I wish they had incorporated some of the Kenpo stuff into Plyocide.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Going over the fitness test in the manual now.

The requirements for girls are so much more lenient than for guys! Grrr :p

I like Kempo specifically because I can do it at the same time as my missus and also because it isn't utterly insane like plyo. I don't like killing myself on a Saturday.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like Kempo specifically because I can do it at the same time as my missus and also because it isn't utterly insane like plyo. I don't like killing myself on a Saturday.

Haha, I did not think about which routines will fall on which days, at all. :p

hxa155

The Triceps workout is brutal (again). It's all those fucking pushups. Starting with the slow ones is just cruel. And it's worse by the time the one-handed ones come around, not to mention the clap ones.

I like all the other moves but god damn, those pushups.

I KNOW RIGHT. I just did this workout this morning and oh man I really felt sore in my tris after a couple of hours. It's supposed to be my last time doing this workout on P90X as I'm almost done. But I look forward to doing it again and crushing it instead of struggling with it :p

Kenpo is not much of a calorie burn and it certainly isnt developing anything. Just seems like a waste of an hour.

I burned the most calories per workout on Kenpo X, even more than Plyometrics. 665 cals compared to 640 cals. You just gotta do it right and it won't be a waste of time, trust me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Let us know how you did on the fitness test!
I think I'll go to the park where there's a pull up bar right after work.

It ain't gonna be great, I'll tell you that much.

I assume when they say how many pull-ups are expected, they imply that I shouldn't be using this handy pull-up assisting device for those purposes? ;)

My upper body is weak as all hell. I can't touch my toes, but I know I can get at least a little closer than 6 inches to them. My lower body has some decent power in it and I'm relatively sure I can meet all the other requirements for the test including the push ups, but 3 pull-ups... hahahah yea, no problem :p

There is a nice handy note (impressively it doesn't come off as condescending) that says "many people who are starting P90X will not be able to do a pull-up yet. There are alternate exercises blah blah blah." So I'm not all too worried.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm certain I can't, and I don't exactly understand how this gizmo helps after looking at it, but we'll see.

How many can you do now? :D

I'm certain I can't, and I don't exactly understand how this gizmo helps after looking at it, but we'll see.

How many can you do now? :D

I think probably 5 at most. Lol my reverse grip is stronger tho. It's just one of the few things I have decided to take easy on. I will say the biggest improvement after p90 and the first month is core strength and my lower strength

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh wait I thought you had finished P90X already, you're saying after 1 month you went from being able to do 0 to 5? That's freaking incredible!

Oh wait I thought you had finished P90X already, you're saying after 1 month you went from being able to do 0 to 5? That's freaking incredible!

Oh no I did about 83 days of p90 and jumped straight to p90x without stop. I guess opening up my back shoulder muscles help with the pull ups. But 5 really is like a once or twice thing, with pain and screaming lol

lljride

V Sculpt tonight! Anyone done this yet? Impressions?

Yep, did it for the second time this morning. Favorite workout in X2 so far. I'm so crushed by the end I can barely do the last set of pullups assisted.

Just a heads up (if you didn't already know), a couple of the moves use bands exclusively, and they don't show a way to modify without bands. Kind of annoying if you use dumbells only.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep, did it for the second time this morning. Favorite workout in X2 so far. I'm so crushed by the end I can barely do the last set of pullups assisted.

Just a heads up (if you didn't already know), a couple of the moves use bands exclusively, and they don't show a way to modify without bands. Kind of annoying if you use dumbells only.

Gasp! it's all a scam

Wow no shit? I don't have the type of bands they use with the handles. My fiancé uses the kind that are essentially a giant rubber band. Think that will work? If not maybe I'll keep in Chest+Back+Balance and take out V Sculpt...

Don't suppose anyone knows a short term replacement for decline push ups?

I don't trust my strength at the mo and I sure as hell don't trust the chair I'm stuck using. It started wobbling and making some horrible noises after a only a couple of reps
(this may have been me rather than the chair, I cannot be 100% sure)

I've got a pretty comprehensive set of dumbells / barbells and bands so I should be able to attempt most things.

I don't trust my strength at the mo and I sure as hell don't trust the chair I'm stuck using. It started wobbling and making some horrible noises after a only a couple of reps

I've got a pretty comprehensive set of dumbells / barbells and bands so I should be able to attempt most things.

If it helps in p90 the alternative is the regular push ups

Oh and I stack my chair against my bed so it doesn't move

Maybe put your feet on some dumbbells? (assuming you wear shoes)

You could use pretty much anything that's comfortable/stable.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Core Synergistics, I loooooooooove it. Seriously, if there was only one workout I could choose to do is this one. It works every part of your body and you don't need anything (maybe dumbbells, but that's it)

Core Synergistics, I loooooooooove it. Seriously, if there was only one workout I could choose to do is this one. It works every part of your body and you don't need anything (maybe dumbbells, but that's it)

It is a little bit of everything. I love the banana/boat/superman. Really working that strength.

Recovery week is over tomorrow! Can't wait for the second month since a lot of people say that's the month the body will change the most

lljride

Wow no shit? I don't have the type of bands they use with the handles. My fiancé uses the kind that are essentially a giant rubber band. Think that will work? If not maybe I'll keep in Chest+Back+Balance and take out V Sculpt...

You could technically do the moves with the one you have already, but I don't think it will give near enough resistance.

Even though they don't show it, two of the moves could be modified with dumbells since they're basically just curls and roman curls. Although, the moves are literally called Band Bicep Curl and Roman Band Curl so...yeah.

The other move is a seated row with bands, so there's really no way to dumbell that one. Closest you could do would be another set of lawnmowers I guess, or just sub in another random pullup move.

Still highly recommend V Sculpt if you don't mind going off the board and doing something different than the kids.

Garryk

Just started Week 3 today. Hit the alarm button more than once today so I had to skip the bonus round on CS to get ready for work in time.

What do you guys do on the days you have to eat an unhealthy meal, e.g. team lunch at a greasy spoon? Do you just go with the least fatty thing on the menu or do you eat less throughout the day? The thing I usually get there is a small cheeseburger and fries. Haven't been there since I started P90X so haven't had to worry about it until today :(

I wouldn't massively stress that sort of thing as long as it's not every day. If it was, I'd personally take food with me... but if you don't have the confidence to do that there's always the "least unhealthy" thing.

Really depends what stage of the nutrition plan. In stage 1 I'd just go for the highest protein / lowest carb option there (so I'm guessing the bun wouldn't help) and not worry too much about it. But with that said, I'm really struggling to get enough calories and stick to the ratios so what do I know? :D

GCNemesis

What do you guys do on the days you have to eat an unhealthy meal, e.g. team lunch at a greasy spoon? Do you just go with the least fatty thing on the menu or do you eat less throughout the day? The thing I usually get there is a small cheeseburger and fries. Haven't been there since I started P90X so haven't had to worry about it until today :(

I'll be doing the same (going to a less than optimal place for dinner) tonight. When going out, I generally try to get a healthy/low-calorie option or try to substitute certain side dishes for healthier options (fries for vegetable blend,etc.). If I really want something unhealthy, I do some extra cardio and eat slightly less throughout the day.

Having something not healthy is ok every now and then, the key thing is to continue your healthier diet afterwards. The way the body operates on a modified diet won't really be affected by just one meal (unless it's over indulgent) every once in a while.

Its good for your metabolism to shock the shit out of it every now and again. Once a month I meet up with all my old uni friends at a restaurant and i pig out. No matter what I eat I don't put on weight from this day. Be prepared for some heavy gas and long visits to the toilet as your body rejects most of the crap you ate.

Garryk

Its good for your metabolism to shock the shit out of it every now and again. Once a month I meet up with all my old uni friends at a restaurant and i pig out. No matter what I eat I don't put on weight from this day. Be prepared for some heavy gas and long visits to the toilet as your body rejects most of the crap you ate.
I'm familiar with this feeling. Every time I eat fried food (especially catfish) I have to sleep in the other bedroom. Eating well isn't really a problem for me, it's snacking that gets me in trouble. My company just bought the Pringles brand so now I have to avoid the sample room like the plague.

GCNemesis

Finally my Phase 2 shipment from Amazon was delivered. Two 10 lb medicine balls, electronic scale, Optimum Gold Whey and fish oil.

Tried out the scale and found that my old spring scale was putting me two pounds under what I actually weigh. FUUUUU :(

On the plus side, the Optimum Gold Whey Chocolate Malt tastes and mixes really good. Recommended to those that are looking for a pure whey/protein drink over a protein blend of Syntha 6.

You could technically do the moves with the one you have already, but I don't think it will give near enough resistance.

Even though they don't show it, two of the moves could be modified with dumbells since they're basically just curls and roman curls. Although, the moves are literally called Band Bicep Curl and Roman Band Curl so...yeah.

The other move is a seated row with bands, so there's really no way to dumbell that one. Closest you could do would be another set of lawnmowers I guess, or just sub in another random pullup move.

Still highly recommend V Sculpt if you don't mind going off the board and doing something different than the kids.

Thanks for the heads up. I ending up giving it a try anyways. The bands worked out ok, glad there wasn't a ton of band exercises. I just couldn't pass up an opportunity for a double dose of Collete. The French Italian.

Though this isn't the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, does anyone have the P90 DVDs they'd be willing to sell to me? I figure i'll get started there then work my way up to P90X. PM me!

Damn, I don't know if it's the lack of carbs, the lack of sleep, the amount I've been working or a combination of all that... but plyo just utterly destroyed me. I was having to take not insignificant breaks every 10 minutes or so and I just couldn't get my heart rate to stay out of the 170s. Was utterly broken by the end of it.

I just want to go to sleep now and it might not be a bad idea.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Make sure you take a lot of water during the day before you do plyo (or any workout). I found it helps a great deal. Lack of carbs may also be an issue.

Top Bottom