• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Incredible work FOOTE! Showing no signs of slowing down too.

Oh, and Steve, thanks for the lower back exercise tips a few pages back; doctor says I have something called degenerative disc disease and I'm not really sure what my next course of action is going to be, but I am hopeful exercise and diet play a key part in beating this.

FOOTE

Oh, and Steve, thanks for the lower back exercise tips a few pages back; doctor says I have something called degenerative disc disease and I'm not really sure what my next course of action is going to be, but I am hopeful exercise and diet play a key part in beating this.

Thanks Lane. I really hope you can beat that, the name of it sounds like you might have a tough battle ahead. You can do it though man, stay positive.

Day 3 done! WOOOT!

Arms and Shoulders are really easy compared to the other days.. REALLY EASY. Though I need to buy some lighter weights. I'm skin and bones and 15lbs were wrecking me on each arm during some of the excercises. May need to use some 10's on a few of those initially till I build some strength. I still pushed and tried!

Ab Ripper X also went WAAAY better than the first day. I did about 75-100% more reps then last time because I wasn't nearly as drained. :)

Ive been undercutting in some calories to lose weight and cut up hopefully so we will see how that works. Need to get rid of this gut. My body fat I think according to some website calculators is only 14% so it's not monstrous but I have the worst gut ever :(

KingGondo

Banned
Ive been undercutting in some calories to lose weight and cut up hopefully so we will see how that works. Need to get rid of this gut. My body fat I think according to some website calculators is only 14% so it's not monstrous but I have the worst gut ever :(
My best advice: calculate the carbs in your diet, and get them down to 75-100 grams/day.

I also found it very helpful to post my typical daily diet in this thread to get suggestions. Definitely don't restrict your calories haphazardly, it could affect your performance.

Jzero

Day 3 done! WOOOT!

Arms and Shoulders are really easy compared to the other days.. REALLY EASY. Though I need to buy some lighter weights. I'm skin and bones and 15lbs were wrecking me on each arm during some of the excercises. May need to use some 10's on a few of those initially till I build some strength. I still pushed and tried!

Ab Ripper X also went WAAAY better than the first day. I did about 75-100% more reps then last time because I wasn't nearly as drained. :)

If you're skin and bones why the heck would you want to lose weight ? lol
i'm also thin besides my stomach and I'm still losing my gut while not doing any diet.

KingFire

Banned
Just did my first day... Chest and Shoulders was brutal. Had to take about 3 different breaks :\

I also did about 1/3 to 1/2 of the reps they were able to do ... lol

I used bands instead of the pull up bar since it felt like I was doing nothing since I can barely do a wide pull up.

Also did the Ab Ripper X but was so pitifully tired after Chest/Shoulders that I think I did 1/4th of the reps they did. Half the time it felt like I was dead on the ground. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to put Ab Ripper X on the first day after Chest/Shoulders. UGH haha

EDIT: Also I'm absolutely shaking right now nonstop and nauseous. Hope that is good!

The beginning is always the hardest part.

I still remember my first day of Sweat 1-2 in P90. I could barely keep up even though it looked easy before I started. When I tried to do abs after sweat1-2 I was so tired I barely finished. I kept thinking during the whole thing, "There is no way I can do this."

Fast forward 90 days, and I can do sweat 1-2 as a warm up now. It is amazing how the human body can adapt to physical stress.

Keep doing it. Don't push yourself too much during the first week or so. Try to focus on your form . Quality over quantity!

If you're skin and bones why the heck would you want to lose weight ? lol
i'm also thin besides my stomach and I'm still losing my gut while not doing any diet.

Well.. my gut is bad and I have some love handles.

If I didn't do any type of diet and didn't care.... I would be screwed.

I ate well over 2500-3500 calories a day in terrible foods like Burgers/Cheese Fries/Baked Potato Soups. I ate fast food almost every night. It was getting bad. I gained like 15-20lbs in the past year and I have/had a pretty good metabolism.

Putting myself on a strict diet is really helping me train myself to get my life in gear and get myself off that crap. I don't care much for bulking up. I just want to stay skinny and somewhat cut with the same frame.

I know many people in here are saying 'do whatever you want for a diet and just be mindful' but i like going head first into things. I'm weird like that.

Currently my carbs are around: 100-125 a day.
Protein is at 143 a day.

Been using MyFitnessPal to keep track of my food intake.

The beginning is always the hardest part.

I still remember my first day of Sweat 1-2 in P90. I could barely keep up even though it looked easy before I started. When I tried to do abs after sweat1-2 I was so tired I barely finished. I kept thinking during the whole thing, "There is no way I can do this."

Fast forward 90 days, and I can do sweat 1-2 as a warm up now. It is amazing how the human body can adapt to physical stress.

Keep doing it. Don't push yourself too much during the first week or so. Try to focus on your form . Quality over quantity!

Thanks. Been trying not to drive myself over a wall or into puking honestly. I have been pushing myself until my body says 'yeah enough reps.. lets take a break or lets take a wait until he starts the next exercise'

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

No prob, LaneDS. I hope so too.

Well.. my gut is bad and I have some love handles.

If I didn't do any type of diet and didn't care.... I would be screwed.

I ate well over 2500-3500 calories a day in terrible foods like Burgers/Cheese Fries/Baked Potato Soups. I ate fast food almost every night. It was getting bad. I gained like 15-20lbs in the past year and I have/had a pretty good metabolism.

Putting myself on a strict diet is really helping me train myself to get my life in gear and get myself off that crap. I don't care much for bulking up. I just want to stay skinny and somewhat cut with the same frame.

I know many people in here are saying 'do whatever you want for a diet and just be mindful' but i like going head first into things. I'm weird like that.

Currently my carbs are around: 100-125 a day.
Protein is at 143 a day.

Been using MyFitnessPal to keep track of my food intake.

Thanks. Been trying not to drive myself over a wall or into puking honestly. I have been pushing myself until my body says 'yeah enough reps.. lets take a break or lets take a wait until he starts the next exercise'

Good to be tracking your diet. This is really important, especially as you are getting started. The key to fat loss is to get your body to burn the fat, and that means not giving it a reason to store it. There are some who say you can't burn fat & grow muscle at the same time -- it's why people go through "bulk" and "cutting" phases in their diet & workouts.

As to reps, as Tony says those last three should be tough and are the most important, so your weights & reps should be adjusted based on that. 8-10 reps for building size & strength, 10-15 reps for lean strength.

Foote, would you mind sharing your diet?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just saw BB Build Back & Biceps. This looks fucking insane.

B&B was by far the hardest P90X workout for me, so I'm scared (but excited) about this.

Stampy

Wow, FOOTE, awesome results. BTW in your first before picture I noticed you were standing with a really extreme duck feet positioning. So I wonder, with doing all these programs, did this functional aspect of your body also improve?

FOOTE

Wow, FOOTE, awesome results. BTW in your first before picture I noticed you were standing with a really extreme duck feet positioning. So I wonder, with doing all these programs, did this functional aspect of your body also improve?
Thanks. The position of that mirror makes it a little awkward to take pictures. I probably just stood like that naturally to make it feel more comfortable. I don't think I have any issues with my leg posture or however it's described.

No prob, LaneDS. I hope so too.

As to reps, as Tony says those last three should be tough and are the most important, so your weights & reps should be adjusted based on that. 8-10 reps for building size & strength, 10-15 reps for lean strength.

Foote, would you mind sharing your diet?

Yep. I think I'm gonna run out tonight and grab 2 10's. 2 15's were killing me on some of those Tri excercises.

FOOTE

BTW how much did you gain in mass. Or in other words, how much do those muscles of your weigh. :p

I couldn't give you an exact number. I want to look good and feel good, but I've never measured my body fat while doing the programs. It would probably benefit me greatly to start measuring my BF% but I just haven't taken that part of all of this that seriously. I step on the scale every week, and that's about it. I've gained a total of about 10 pounds this year.

I'm in a serious bulking type of mode right now. I'm eating a lot of food, and I hope to gain at least 10 pounds over the next 90 days. I'm 160 now.

Just did Yoga X.

Holy hell... I have terrible balance and struggled on half of those things. Also it was nonstop NONSTOP! There were no breaks :( I paused quite a few times. In fact around the 50 min remaining mark I almost quit... But I motivated myself and kept going. I chose to just say 'I'll attempt but only for a few secs if it's owning me' and wait till they finish that one specific pose then rejoin them on the next one.

I didn't do the crazy balance on your arms/head thing.. Just child pose for that one.

But.. got through it. Didn't fast forward or anything.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Body Beast has been seriously kick ass so far. I was worried about Sagi and the meathead kids, but I warmed up to him (I don't give a damn about the crew).

As for the workouts, today was Back
And Biceps and it was fantastic. By the end of it I seriously had a hard time even lifting my post-workout shake.

There's a part where you have to do 30 seconds pause 30 seconds pause 30 seconds of chin ups and couldn't even do one!

If the previous days were an indication, my biceps are gonna be on fire tomorrow.

I've been doing P90x for about 2 weeks and have lost 12 pounds. Haven't even changed my diet at all. I love it.

Crazy. I haven't weighed myself. I can't visually see a difference and I'm scared that if I weigh myself after 4 days.. I would see nothing and be dissapointed. Not to mention I drink a ton of water and I'm afraid that will bloat my weight.

Do most people weigh themselves in the morning?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Crazy. I haven't weighed myself. I can't visually see a difference and I'm scared that if I weigh myself after 4 days.. I would see nothing and be dissapointed. Not to mention I drink a ton of water and I'm afraid that will bloat my weight.

Do most people weigh themselves in the morning?

Tip: don't weigh yourself constantly, otherwise you'll become insane. Try do it once every 30 days, along with the progress pics.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just did Yoga X.

Holy hell... I have terrible balance and struggled on half of those things. Also it was nonstop NONSTOP! There were no breaks :( I paused quite a few times. In fact around the 50 min remaining mark I almost quit... But I motivated myself and kept going. I chose to just say 'I'll attempt but only for a few secs if it's owning me' and wait till they finish that one specific pose then rejoin them on the next one.

I didn't do the crazy balance on your arms/head thing.. Just child pose for that one.

But.. got through it. Didn't fast forward or anything.

Those first 45 minutes or so are tough, but you'll get there. "Take in the fact that you just did that!" I was always completely drenched by that point.

Don't worry about mastering everything. One time through, once per week isn't really enough to do that. With yoga in particular it's all about the journey. I never really got crane down in P90X, but 5 weeks into X2 and I'm getting fairly decent at it. One tip -- stand a yoga block on end below your forehead. You can use it as a third point of contact and a reassurance that you won't smash your face. In X2 Yoga, you get two chances to do crane and I can hold it for nearly the full time in both cases, but I still use the block even though I strive to keep my forehead off it.

I'm continually working to do each pose better each time.

So starting next week I will be going out of town from Tuesday all the way until the following Monday... :(

What would you guys recommend doing? I may bring bands with me and the videos but I obviously won't be able to do some of the other stuff. Maybe just cardio?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So starting next week I will be going out of town from Tuesday all the way until the following Monday... :(

What would you guys recommend doing? I may bring bands with me and the videos but I obviously won't be able to do some of the other stuff. Maybe just cardio?

Do 5 different sets of push-ups, 5 leg moves, 5 plyometric moves and 5 abs moves.

mehdi_san

I don't remember who posted this first, but you could try to do 2-3 rounds of this 10 min workout (don't forget to warm up before and stretch after).
http://www.fitsugar.com/10-Minute-Full-Body-Workout-Tony-Horton-24385904

alejob

Did a third of Plyo X a couple of days ago and I'm hurting bad. Ha ha I'm bad shape. I need to start another round of P90X.

I think I'm going to bring some bands with me and the videos. I think I won't have an issue playing them. I can do this NONSTOP! :D

Just did Legs and Back tonight. Probably one of the easier ones for me. I thought I was done and then saw Ab Ripper X on the schedule and screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! But I got through it. Did a bit better one Ab Ripper X then the other days as well.

Day 5 down guys! :D

Anyone have any issues with Protein Powder on planes? I'm going to place them in ziploc bags and see if I get an issues at security :eek:

SteeloDMZ

Banned
First week of Body Beast done. Absolutely loving the program.

Today was Cardio Beast, which I was expecting to be a piece of cake coming out of P90X, but it was definitely challenging, as it was Beast Abs. I had an annoying pain on my left foot which didn't allow me to go all the way, but I still got a great workout.

Tomorrow is rest then week 2 starts Sunday.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
First week of Body Beast done. Absolutely loving the program.

Today was Cardio Beast, which I was expecting to be a piece of cake coming out of P90X, but it was definitely challenging, as it was Beast Abs. I had an annoying pain on my left foot which didn't allow me to go all the way, but I still got a great workout.

Tomorrow is rest then week 2 starts Sunday.

Sounds great. You're making me wonder if I want to switch and do BB after P90X2, instead of Les Mills Combat. :)

But I suppose someone has to pioneer LMC for the group, and X2 is a good strength builder so far, so I think I'll stick with my plan & do BB after LMC.

Just finished Day 6.. That was the easiest day. Kenpo is fun.. Wish that was everyday :p

I always enjoyed Kenpo too, but a lot of people get tired of it because it becomes too easy over time. It's a workout that you can make harder though, for example by adding wrist & ankle weights, focusing on engaging your core, and going fast in the cardio cool-down bits.

X2 Shoulders & Arms for me in a few minutes. Then tomorrow it's off on vacation for a week.

LaneDS

I think I've found my motivation or whatever you call it, that intangible feeling that keeps you eating right and working strong. Had it from March until September, and have been lacking the last few months, but I'm ready to bring it again. Seeing the doctor on Monday about my spinal stuff and so long as he says it's okay I plan on being very strict about diet and exercise for the next four months leading up to Tough Mudder.

It's weird how a few weeks (or months?) of not being as active in the thread makes it seem like there are a lot of new faces (which is awesome!)... it's inspiring to see people post about their early experiences and gains with the programs. I still want to be able to post "year 1 complete" photos in March and hopefully wow folks (and myself), so back on the wagon I go.

Two weeks of Body Beast to go. I've seen the most change in my shoulders and arms. I'll be glad to be done with it though. Been listening to podcasts and what not during the workouts because I just can't stand Sagi anymore. I don't feel as pumped up for the workouts as I did with awesome instructors like Shaun T and Tony. Sagi has the personality of a door knob and he tries to be tough and comes off like a complete ass hat. A perfect example is during Bulk Back. The guy they refer to as "pretty boy" finishes doing his 10 reps of pull ups and Sagi goes over to him:

Sagi - "WHY DID YOU STOP!?"
Pretty Boy - "because I did 10"
Sagi - "oh"

Then there is him just giving people a hard time for not lifting as much as him.

Alright, rant over. Needless to say I probably won't do another round in the future. Bring on Asylum 2.

I have papers due next week and I am kind of sick. Hate it but I think it's wise to put P90X on hold until I feel better. This is the first time I have not worked out for more than 2 days.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I think Les Mills Combat would be an awesome program for cutting after doing Body Beast.

It probably would, my plan was to use Asylum 2 for that.

LaneDS, glad you're getting back to it again (no pun intended!)

HP that is a shame about Sagi. Sounds like listening to something else once you learn the moves is probably a good idea. Do they do visual cues on the bottom like they do in P90X & X2?

As I said earlier tomorrow I leave for vacation. I've inserted a gap in my Supergym schedule, resuming Phase 2 Week 2 a week from Monday. I have nothing scheduled for tomorrow but I think I'm going to do X2 Yoga as originally scheduled anyway, and then do it again once I return. The resort I'm staying at has a great fitness center & classes so I'm going to avail myself of that, plus maybe try my hand at skiing or snowboarding for the first time ever.

BTW I'm loving that Carnivor beef protein powder. It's much tastier than the Optimum Nutrition whey protein I'd been using for workouts last year. Just drank some!

HP that is a shame about Sagi. Sounds like listening to something else once you learn the moves is probably a good idea. Do they do visual cues on the bottom like they do in P90X & X2?

Ya, there is a rep counter, clock and a description of what move you are doing so it's easy enough to do the workout on mute. You'll probably just need to watch any given workout once or twice to get a feel for the moves.

antti-la

About the body weight which was discussed earlier. I lost only 7lbs during whole round of P90X with a pretty strict fat shredder diet, but still made a hell of a change in my overall appear (my result photos doesn't look really as good as irl). So my advice is to look at the mirror, take measures, don't trust your scale too much.

Couldn't take a week off, so I'm already well on my way with the second round of P90X. But I'm thinking of swapping the program for something else. I thought I could do two rounds but I'm just really too tired of the same P90X workouts at this point... for now at least. I remember them too well and I have heard the same lines too many times. I need something fresh now.

Thinking of BodyBeast again. But what would be the absolute minimum equipment I need to buy?

I now have:

- Adjustable 33lbs dumbbells. (I still do majority of P90X with only 20-24lbs attached per dumbbell(8-10 rep range))
- Regular 11lbs dumbbells.
- Pull-up bar.

I don't have room for a bench and ez-bar with lots of plates.

I think someone responded earlier that you can do it with dumbbells and stability ball only. Is this correct?

Would I be good to go with stability ball only or should I buy one more set of the same adjustable 33lbs dumbbells?

Because I have understood you need a lot of variety in dumbbell weights during workouts and it's a bit of inconvience to pause and be adjusting your weights all the time. I just want to grab em and do the reps.

If i bought one set more I could do at least three different weight sets: Very heavy, heavy and regular/light(11lbs), would that be enough?

edit. Also powerblocks and bowflex dumbbells doesn't seem to be available where I live. (finland :)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So this may be a slightly odd question. I had P90X a few years ago and someone jacked my DVDs before I moved overseas. I want to get back in shape again but the only gym near here is quite a distance and to be honest I've never liked gyms. I'm also terribly out of shape these days so I need to ease myself back into it.
So I've been trying to remember some of the simple stuff from P90X I can do in my apartment (I'm going into week 3 of working out). So far I do 4 or 5 reps of 20 push ups and 30 sit ups, lunges, squats, high knee sprints across the living room and back and a few other random low impact cardio stuff.
Does anyone currently doing P90X have any recommendations for exercises I could slip into my routine? I remember always feeling like I got a great workout afterwards and would like to add some more fat burning stuff to my current routine.

FOOTE

About the body weight which was discussed earlier. I lost only 7lbs during whole round of P90X with a pretty strict fat shredder diet, but still made a hell of a change in my overall appear (my result photos doesn't look really as good as irl). So my advice is to look at the mirror, take measures, don't trust your scale too much.

Couldn't take a week off, so I'm already well on my way with the second round of P90X. But I'm thinking of swapping the program for something else. I thought I could do two rounds but I'm just really too tired of the same P90X workouts at this point... for now at least. I remember them too well and I have heard the same lines too many times. I need something fresh now.

Thinking of BodyBeast again. But what would be the absolute minimum equipment I need to buy?

I now have:

- Adjustable 33lbs dumbbells. (I still do majority of P90X with only 20-24lbs attached per dumbbell(8-10 rep range))
- Regular 11lbs dumbbells.
- Pull-up bar.

I don't have room for a bench and ez-bar with lots of plates.

I think someone responded earlier that you can do it with dumbbells and stability ball only. Is this correct?

Would I be good to go with stability ball only or should I buy one more set of the same adjustable 33lbs dumbbells?

Because I have understood you need a lot of variety in dumbbell weights during workouts and it's a bit of inconvience to pause and be adjusting your weights all the time. I just want to grab em and do the reps.

If i bought one set more I could do at least three different weight sets: Very heavy, heavy and regular/light(11lbs), would that be enough?

edit. Also powerblocks and bowflex dumbbells doesn't seem to be available where I live. (finland :)

You can do Body Beast with only a stability ball and dumbbells, yes. I'm not sure what kind of weights you're using but I assume that they are the type that you use plates with? If you are using those, then you will have trouble keeping up with the workout. Buying an extra set may help but I'm not sure how much, if at all. You need a variety of weight, but you also need to have it ready to go right away sometimes so you need to be able to change weight pretty quickly sometimes.

I have the select tech weights, and I am sometimes far slower than I should be with changing the weight. I really wish sometimes that I had a full rack of separate weights.

Siddx, I recommend a pull-up bar if you're only doing calisthenics. Maybe a weighted vest too.

Top Bottom